Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

truth as a defence to defamation

Options
  • 03-01-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I understand truth is a defence to defamation

Suppose an organisation writes a report on you which is untrue. you get a copy and publish it and say it is untrue i.e. the person who wrote it lied.

Then they sue for defamation. Who decides if it is true or not? Is there a hearing where you can give evidence and the person who wrote it can gove evidence and a jury decides? On what grounds would they decide if there is no witness to the incident? How would they decide who to believe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

If it's a Circuit Court case then the judge hears the evidence and decides based on what is heard if it's a High Court then that decision is made by the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

infosys wrote: »
    If it's a Circuit Court case then the judge hears the evidence and decides based on what is heard if it's a High Court then that decision is made by the jury.

Ok what determines whether it is circuit or high court case and what if the defendent has no money if found wrong

Spiritiser wrote: »
    Ok what determines whether it is circuit or high court case and what if the defendent has no money if found wrong

The circuit court is limited to €50,000 in damages, unless it changed in the recent jurisdiction changes. High Court has unlimited jurisdiction. If the defendant has no money then the plaintiff has a worthless order unless the person wins the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

The circuit court is limited to €50,000 in damages, unless it changed in the recent jurisdiction changes. High Court has unlimited jurisdiction. If the defendant has no money then the plaintiff has a worthless order unless the person wins the lottery.
    could they be sent to prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

About to go up to €75,000 from the 1st of February I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

You cannot be imprisoned for defamation (the common law offence of criminal libel having been abolished by the 2009 act). You cannot be imprisoned for being too poor to afford the damages. You can, however, be sent to prison for disobeying a court order to pay damages if the judge believes you can afford to but are just acting the maggot.

A person can not be imprisoned for non payment of a debt due to mere inability to pay. Thankfully we got rid of debtors prisons. A court can only order payment of what a person can afford. If he has no money then the court can not order what is impossible, or more correctly can not jail for contempt as there is no contempt.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    About to go up to €75,000 from the 1st of February I believe.

That was my point I do not know (as I have not bothered to look) does the COURTS AND CIVIL LAW (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) ACT 2013, change the jurisdiction of the Defamation Act 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

That was my point I do not know (as I have not bothered to look) does the COURTS AND CIVIL LAW (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) ACT 2013, change the jurisdiction of the Defamation Act 2009.

Yes it does. PI claims are up to 60k and all other civil claims to 75k.

Advertisement