Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing your cost of living

Options
  • 18-11-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've decided to put this thread together to get an idea of cost-effective deals and vouchers (Groupon, Cudo, Spreets, grocery vouchers etc) that are on offer in Australia. I know it may not be a priority for many people but every little helps, especially if your disposable income is limited with little mouths to feed :D

The first site I came across was shopadocket. This site is great for coupons from anything from groceries to dry cleaning.

I regularly used sites like Groupon, Living-Social etc in Ireland. It may seem stingy using these sites but they allow me to treat the kids and keep the better half happy at a fraction of the full price. Most of the following sites locations are set to Sydney, just change your location on the respective site.

Groupon
    They have a plethora of deals from fine dining to big game fishing.

Spreets
    Similar format and deals to Groupon.

Cudo
    Similar deal

To save you the effort of filtering through the following sites I've come across a site that collaborates all the deals from popular deal sites:

Buyii
    This site is quite user friendly and allows you to easily filter through the categories

Other similar sites I have found are
    allthedeals,dealsguide
    and dealsextrea

Slightly off topic but for those of you that can't live without their home favorites abroad, can find their guilty pleasures at the following sites:

tasteireland
    celtickoala

If anybody has any other suggestions, feel free to add to the list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Have yet to let me down for buying runners/trainers.
    Usually delivered within 1 week, comes from China and the guy who runs it is usually on the ball if you have any questions.

http://www.nkheaven.me/

Considering Nike runners can cost in excess of $200 here .. this website is an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Catch of the Day is another of the oul reliables.
    Diddler82 wrote: »
    Usually delivered within 1 week, comes from China and the guy who runs it is usually on the ball if you have any questions.

Considering Nike runners can cost in excess of $200 here .. this website is an absolute bargain.

Excuse the cynicism, but are they knock offs? The prices just seem too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Alexandria is where all the good outlet stores are: New Balance, Puma, Cantebury, Reebok, Oxford, Diesel etc often up to 80% off.

There is also outlet stores in Drummoyne and Homebush.

Edit - Sydney only!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

the Entertainment book is the best thing to buy , can pick them up sometimes for as little as $20 ! great value in it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Excuse the cynicism, but are they knock offs? The prices just seem too good to be true!

ImageUploadedByStudent+Room1357265655.649667.jpg

Not at all Xavi, my new NKIES are the the dogs bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

This list should not be without www.ozbargain.com.au

I check it daily. A lot of the more local deals tend to be based in Melbourne though

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Catch of the Day is another of the oul reliables.

Not at all, I expected it!

They are genuinely legitimate.

Each time they arrived in Nike boxes, the trainers were in perfect condition (nike insoles, size tags etc).

I still have both pairs and both my Mrs a pair of Converse .. same thing. Arrived in orginal boxes etc.

My guess it is like buying wine over here .. cheaper than buying at home because it is where it's made!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Another tip for Sydney based peoples.

If you go to Paddies markets around 4.30 to 5pm on a Sunday evening, they are flogging off fruit and veggies dead cheap. They close of a Monday so they want to get rid of their produce. You can even haggle, which can be a bit of craic too.
    I've often come out with over a weeks worth for less than $50.

Granted its not exactly the freshest of produce, but still if you are on a budget it is cheap eating.

Also: In the supermarkets a box of 200 tea bags is always more expensive than buying 2 x 100 boxes. My mammy taught me that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

limeandtonic.com.au is a great website for hotel offers. Think it's just based in Sydney though. Spa treatment, use of the facility of a 5 star hotel and lunch/dinner for $80.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chaoloughlin

For runners and footy boots I use http://www.myfootyboots.com.au/, pretty quick delivery and can return items if they are the wrong size and everything is a lot cheaper than the shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »
    Also: In the supermarkets a box of 200 tea bags is always more expensive than buying 2 x 100 boxes. My mammy taught me that one.

I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Seen a 10kg bag of onions for $2.50 the other day.
    I've no need to that many onions but I nearly bought it out of principle

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Mellor wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Seen a 10kg bag of onions for $2.50 the other day.
    I've no need to that many onions but I nearly bought it out of principle

While we're on the theme, I bought 12 gillette mach 3 blades for $32 in woolworths the other day. Saving about a tenner as they're usually $14 for 4!
    It's small but it all adds up (especially when you're paying a feckin mortgage).

Does anybody know where to get good work shirts in Sydney? It's hard to get a good quality shirt sub $100. The shirts in Lowes, kmart, bigw etc. are all massive on me! They operate under the assumption we're all obese! A few other places like Connor and YD do cheap enough shirts but the material is pure ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

While we're on the theme, I bought 12 gillette mach 3 blades for $32 in woolworths the other day. Saving about a tenner as they're usually $14 for 4!
    It's small but it all adds up (especially when you're paying a feckin mortgage).

Does anybody know where to get good work shirts in Sydney? It's hard to get a good quality shirt sub $100. The shirts in Lowes, kmart, bigw etc. are all massive on me! They operate under the assumption we're all obese! A few other places like Connor and YD do cheap enough shirts but the material is pure ****e!

I usually stock up on Van Heusen shirts in Myer/DJs during Jan and EOFY sales. Usually $70-80 but always 50% off in these sales.
    They have a European Fit which is bit more tapered and less parachute like. They also do something called "Evercool" range, which are light and breathable for sticky summer days....

I use a Tailor that flies in from Hong Kong twice a year, he was referred to me by a friend. He charges me $50 per shirt and is negotiable on suits.

He has my measurements and I just email him when I need more shirts and he mails them across.
    After my first visit he sent me over one suit and one shirt to ensure they fit. The sleeves on the shirt were about an inch short (but okay) so he lengthened them on the rest and they fit perfectly.

I am a bit of an awkward fit (fat neck, broad & short arms!) so none of them Van Heusen or any of them generally fit me that well.

I am here 4 years and I have yet to find somewhere that offers better quality at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I am a bit of an awkward fit (fat neck, broad & short arms!) so none of them Van Heusen or any of them generally fit me that well.

I have a mental image of you as Keith Wood's doppelgänger now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

For groceries
    Join Costco with a mate (split the membership between you). Quantities of items are huge but does work out cheaper e.g. a quart of maple syrup (946mls) is $14, 250ml at Coles is $9.70. Know where your local markets are and where the elderly Greek/Italians shop (they can sniff out a bargain at a 100 paces) Going near close of markets can also turn up some bargains. Asian supermarkets are usually quite cheap and lebanese bakeries have great value snacks/bread, cheese spinach triangle, zatar etc along with groceries.
    If you're in Melbourne, Brunswick has a cheese factory: Mama Lucia on 50 Weston St and pasta factory: La Triestina, 93 Brunswick Road. Both sell their goods at wholesale prices e.g. 500g ravioli is $3.50, thinks it's $6+ in the supermarket.

Pricing flights in Oz:
    Go to Webjet to compare, then go to individual website to book especially if it's Qantas; no booking fee:)

Books:
    online at book depository, fishpond or kennys.ie

Clothes, towels etc (high end quality stuff)
    online at ASOS or most UK retailers e.g. House of Fraser, especially if you target their end of season sales. DJs, Myer at the end of their sale, there are good reductions but it's never really as much as Ireland/UK/US

White Goods:
    Good Guys.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I have a mental image of you as Keith Wood's doppelgänger now :)

:)

If you want his details please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Wow, is this site legitimate? The prices look fantastic! Are you using this from Australia or Ireland though? Are the jersey's runners actual Nike produce?

An Arsenal jersey with Ozil 11 on the back is €36 including shipping. This would normally be in excess of €70!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

$15 Oakley and Ray Ban sunnies?? Seems legit....

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Wow, is this site legitimate? The prices look fantastic! Are you using this from Australia or Ireland though? Are the jersey's runners actual Nike produce?

An Arsenal jersey with Ozil 11 on the back is €36 including shipping. This would normally be in excess of €70!

I have bought 3 pairs of runners from the site (2 Nike, 1 Converse) .. all legit.

• Advertisement

from Nkheaven
    We accept payment as following :

1,Realypay mastercard channel
    www.realypay.com master card channel

2,GLBPAY mastercard channel
    www.glbpay.com

3.ECPSS Credit card payment
    www.ecpss.com
    For now,it acept visa card. 2% charge, don't allowed the payment over 600usd.

4. Western Union:
    please visit : http://www.westernunion.com for more details.

5. T/T (Bank Wire Transfer)
    Usually it will take about 2-3 working days to confirm your payment by T/T .

these are the ways I wouldnt send money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Joe Gt wrote: »
    from Nkheaven
    We accept payment as following :

1,Realypay mastercard channel
    www.realypay.com master card channel

2,GLBPAY mastercard channel
    www.glbpay.com

3.ECPSS Credit card payment
    www.ecpss.com
    For now,it acept visa card. 2% charge, don't allowed the payment over 600usd.

4. Western Union:
    please visit : http://www.westernunion.com for more details.

5. T/T (Bank Wire Transfer)
    Usually it will take about 2-3 working days to confirm your payment by T/T .

these are the ways I wouldnt send money !

Hi joe.

Can you elaborate please ?

not much buyer protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Feelgood wrote: »

CHEIWW.png
    but i'm gonna watch that one now! :)

on the shirts topic, i have to agree it's terrible trying to find stuff here, they're like wearing a hot air balloon.. Everything's made for tall skinny men or short fat men. There's nothing for short not-fat men :( anyway, i got some great slim fit shirts of marks and sparks 6 months ago. They did a free delivery offer to Aus at the time. Looks like they still have it. Someone tried to tell me recently that M&S opened a store in Sydney?

As for the razors, skip the gillettes. Generic brand, 3 blade. Keep it clean and dry after use and you'll get much more out of it for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

on the shirts topic, i have to agree it's terrible trying to find stuff here, they're like wearing a hot air balloon.. Everything's made for tall skinny men or short fat men. There's nothing for short not-fat men :( anyway, i got some great slim fit shirts of marks and sparks 6 months ago. They did a free delivery offer to Aus at the time. Looks like they still have it. Someone tried to tell me recently that M&S opened a store in Sydney?

Target do a slim fit range of shirts, I've two and they've lasted over a year for work. $30 or so a pop at the time and money very well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

:)

If you want his details please PM me.

Hi Diddler,

Do you know if he comes to Melbourne too or is it just Sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

What do you all be doing with your shirts in work? :confused: I don't understand how you all seem to be going through them so quickly. I work in an office (and have to go to building sites once a month or so) and have been wearing the same 4/5 shirts that I bought 7/8 years ago. They're nowhere near being thrown out either.

EDIT: Sorry, this is well off topic for the thread

My money saving tip would be to keep an eye on the Coles/Woolies special deals where if you spend over a certain amount ($30 in Coles for the last while) in one transaction, you get a voucher for money off fuel in their respective petrol stations (Coles = Coles Express, Woolies = Caltex).

In Exile wrote: »
    Hi Diddler,

Do you know if he comes to Melbourne too or is it just Sydney?

I will be happy to check for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

anyone have a price list for Costco?

I checked that nike place...I think its not legit but very good copies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Books:
    online at book depository, fishpond or kennys.ie

White Goods:
    Good Guys.

Never tried the others but book suppository are great.

So are good guys, we bought our backup/booze fridge for downstairs from them and it was a bargain. Runs great the last year, I'll let yis know.

Side note: Haggling is much more in vogue here than back home. Although not for your cornflakes.

Advertisement