Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

So the consensus on here seems to be that the land has already been claimed. So the argument that a greenway will preserve the alignment seems to be null and void.

Who is going to fit the legal bill to lay claim to all this land?

Sligo county council, after lissadel house, I doubt it?

Its not like its even a proven viable tourist project, I can see why Mayo county council would be more interested in expanding and developing the Achill greenway, or why the minister for transport might be more inclined to invest the limited funds available in a coastal greenway project on the Dingle peninsula or the ring of Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Who? you, and me, and the rest of us. This cost will be fairly modest for a greenway but astronomic and ongoing for a rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

relaxed wrote: »
    So the consensus on here seems to be that the land has already been claimed. So the argument that a greenway will preserve the alignment seems to be null and void. Who is going to fit the legal bill to lay claim to all this land?

Some of the land has been stolen yes and that needs to be addressed. A greenway would prevent any further land loss. Irish Rail need to get the land back - they need to take up the legal issues, the comparison with Lisadell is interesting, we (irish rail ie the public) own the land, not the squatters - as far as I am aware the people who won the Lissadell case are the owners of the land, which they purchased but did not assume rights on via squatting. The case for the state of the access rights has been reinforced by Lissadell because it upheld the rights of landowners, Squatters on public land do not own it.
    Its not like its even a proven viable tourist project
    - Of course its not a proven viable project because its in Ireland and we are so very different from everywhere else in the world - where entire networks of cycling trails have proven to be viable tourist projects. but hey ho the difference is we're irish.
    I can see why Mayo county council would be more interested in expanding and developing the Achill greenway, or why the minister for transport might be more inclined to invest the limited funds available in a coastal greenway project on the Dingle peninsula or the ring of Kerry.

We should be using routes in public ownership like the Claremorris/Collooney route as they are the most cost effective routes to convert to greenway - and by the way its not all about tourism, the creation of a national cycle network is about the people who live here benefitting, perhaps you haven't grasped that bit of the argument. The minister you refer to Alan Kelly told the SMG campaign he simply cannot understand Mayo and Sligo county council not pushing for this idea, the Minister and his staff see it as an absolute shoe in of an idea but they need to see the local councils supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Its not like its even a proven viable tourist project, I can see why Mayo county council would be more interested in expanding and developing the Achill greenway, or why the minister for transport might be more inclined to invest the limited funds available in a coastal greenway project on the Dingle peninsula or the ring of Kerry.
    Claremorris-Collooney, or more correctly Kiltimagh-Collooney, could be used to expand the Achill greenway, which is already being extended to connect with the museum of country life east of Castlebar. From Collooney, as many commentators have pointed out, connection with Sligo would be simple by using existing trails through Union Wood. A Sligo-Achill greenway would be a start in catching up with the booming long trails that exist or are being developed elsewhere in Europe.
    We don't have any long trails, so touring cyclists -- the most valuable cycling customers who stay longer and spend more -- go elsewhere. Those tourists by the way like flat cycling trails, not the kind that would be created on the ring of Kerry. Disused rail lines all over Europe have been reborn as cycle trails because they are flat. Ireland really isn't a special case; what works elsewhere will work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

eastwest wrote: »
    Disused rail lines all over Europe have been reborn as cycle trails because they are flat. Ireland really isn't a special case; what works elsewhere will work here.

Indeed Eastwest. I am surprised the lack of scenery wasn't mentioned, one of the key arguments Sinn Fein/West on track use against the Sligo Mayo greenway!....The message though will sink in, its safe cycling facilities people want first and foremost oh and by the way the views of the Ox mountains from Coolaney are very scenic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A strong legal response to the individual involved in the Westport greenway will give pause to all those who have grabbed or have an eye to grabbing State assets. But that's not how things are done in a country where it is possible to employ people to chase people for feckin' TV licences.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You might have the wrong end of the stick.

The people who have closed off sections are legally entitled to do given that they are the landowners.

The Great Westren Greenway mostly follows the former railway route, but that route was sold off in sections after the line closed.

The greenway was then build using permissive access -- only small sections of the route is in State ownership.

That's in stark contrast to the WRC which supposed to be still a railway (even if disused) on Irish Rail or CIE owned land. It's a real plus side to the idea of the WRC as a greenway -- most of the route is intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

monument wrote: »
    You might have the wrong end of the stick.

The people who have closed off sections are legally entitled to do given that they are the landowners.

The Great Westren Greenway mostly follows the former railway route, but that route was sold off in sections after the line closed.

The greenway was then build using permissive access -- only small sections of the route is in State ownership.
    So they opened the greenway with all this fanfare on a revocable "yerra go on so" from the landowners? *shakes head*.

Thanks for the clarification though.

dowlingm wrote: »
    So they opened the greenway with all this fanfare on a revocable "yerra go on so" from the landowners? *shakes head*.

Thanks for the clarification though.
    Essentially, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Essentially, yes.

So basically the direct opposite of the situation of the WRC. The State through CIE can assert its rights at any time as no abandonment, a formal legal procedure, had been made. That is why a private individual has been able to cut across the GW greenway.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    So basically the direct opposite of the situation of the WRC. The State through CIE can assert its rights at any time as no abandonment, a formal legal procedure, had been made. That is why a private individual has been able to cut across the GW greenway.
    The state doesn't need to formally abandon the so-called WRC to lose ownership of it. A considerable number of individuals have attempted to acquire possessive title to portions of the line, without challenge by CIE.
    This lack of governance has created a situation where many sections of line may no longer be in the effective ownership of the state.

the so-called WRC

Okay we'll call it the Fish Fingers and Custard line then.

This is the Irish state we're talking about, the entity that is waiting in the long grass for everyone to cough up on local property taxes and what not.

The Irish state will assert its rights over the Fish Fingers and Custard line when it wants to, and will have no problem in doing so. You don't need to be a solicitor to realise that where there is no title there is no right to adverse possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if needs be the state should just take the land and start building either greenway or railway, those who have "claimed" their little bit of the railway land can do nothing about it, the state would have enough money to keep challenging it until the other side is forced into bankruptsy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if needs be the state should just take the land and start building either greenway or railway, those who have "claimed" their little bit of the railway land can do nothing about it, the state would have enough money to keep challenging it until the other side is forced into bankruptsy

You mean like the very recent case which resulted in Sligo County Council soon to have a bill of around €7m on their hands for legal costs?

monument wrote: »
    You mean like the very recent case which resulted in Sligo County Council soon to have a bill of around €7m on their hands for legal costs?
    i haven't heard about this case so can't comment on it, however if land hasn't been formaly abandoned by the state then even if somebody claims abverse possession the state has a right to take it and use it as far as i'm concerned

i haven't heard about this case so can't comment on it, however if land hasn't been formaly abandoned by the state then even if somebody claims abverse possession the state has a right to take it and use it as far as i'm concerned

It hasn't been abandoned and it is still State owned. Perhaps Monument can point out why the privately owned Lissadell is a suitable parallel here, because I'm a bit puzzled as to why that example was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So adverse possession is 12 years except state lands which is 30 ,is iarnrod eireann land state owned land...
    If IE now sent a bulldozer down the line (avoiding places where legally, title has been passed) they'd stop the adverse possession clock , they'd assert their right to property/assume ownership... Anyone with a legal right to adverse possession would be forced to legally prove it...or get off the pot...
    I suppose any adverse possession owners would have the right to sue Iarnrod Eireann for damage and trespass once they (could prove ownership...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    So adverse possession is 12 years except state lands which is 30 ,is iarnrod eireann land state owned land...
    If IE now sent a bulldozer down the line (avoiding places where legally, title has been passed) they'd stop the adverse possession clock , they'd assert their right to property/assume ownership... Anyone with a legal right to adverse possession would be forced to legally prove it...or get off the pot...
    I suppose any adverse possession owners would have the right to sue Iarnrod Eireann for damage and trespass once they (could prove ownership...)

In actual fact they won't need to dirty a bulldozer as they have made a public declaration of ownership right here:

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/IE2014NetworkStatement_PublishedVersion21.pdf

Looks like the clock is reset again and any claim for adverse possession will fail.

Banjoxed has already linked to the legal reasoning of how they can legally do so if the landowner does not act quick enough -- you saying "as far as i'm concerned" meaning nothing because your feelings on the matter mean little when the law says otherwise.

It hasn't been abandoned and it is still State owned. Perhaps Monument can point out why the privately owned Lissadell is a suitable parallel here, because I'm a bit puzzled as to why that example was posted.

It's a parallel when replying to another poster's that the State can win by taking cases against people on poor grounds just because the state has money.

And the waste of state money on legal actions.

In actual fact they won't need to dirty a bulldozer as they have made a public declaration of ownership right here:

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/IE2014NetworkStatement_PublishedVersion21.pdf

Looks like the clock is reset again and any claim for adverse possession will fail.

No, according to your link the landowner has to act to remove the squatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

Can't help but wonder if this situation of encroachment through neighboring landowners 'squatting' on the alignment, could help the Greenway argument in respect to how the likes of WOT regard it.

As things are now, I imagine that much of the alignment is overgrown and devoid of attention beyond the sections near population centers. Many of those who have encroached onto the alignment, probably have done so where it is less obvious that there was a railway there.

Assuming a scenario where the WRC is actually approved for re-construction, these land owners might see an opportunity to dig in and try to cash in on a such major capital project. It might be possible that IE would be willing to pay off some of these land-squatters to avoid delays caused by legal proceedings. IE would most likely win these legal challenges either way, but they may possibly care more about delivery timetable at the time.

However, Greenway construction can be considerably cheaper (mostly a large pathway on the old track bed), and might not attract as much temptation to dig in. A Greenway can also be constructed in sections and those sections can become functional almost immediately. (Walkers and cycles don't require faculties to turn around, and can temporarily re-route onto existing roadways).

The main reason I think (or hope) that the likes of WOT would reconsider their opinion of a Greenway, is mostly due to this challenge of land-squatters. The longer it takes the State/IE to rebuild the WRC, the stronger the case the landowners have to stay on it. The cost of re-purchasing this land might make a future rail project too expensive to consider.

A way to prevent that situation is to build the Greenway which would do two things in favor of any future railway:

1) Create a very clear physical marker of the alignment, making it obvious where the railway was, and would be if were re-built.

2) Encourage the public to travel along the alignment, making any attempt to encroach upon it difficult to hide. If for example, a neighboring land owner extended a boundary wall across the greenway, it would noticed very quickly by the greenway's users.

I can't pretend to know all of the legal ins-and-outs at play here, but I feel that the issue of land-squatting is a potential threat to both Greenway and Rail projects, and I am of the belief that both projects can mutually benefit form each other, possibly even promoting the existence of both Greenway and Railway.

Sorry of the length of that :D

or bring in legislation stating that land where their was once a railway belongs to the state, i wouldn't mind my taxes being spent on bankrupting railway squatters, i've no sympathy for those who steal railway land, they deserve everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Rawr wrote: »
    The main reason I think (or hope) that the likes of WOT would reconsider their opinion of a Greenway, is mostly due to this challenge of land-squatters.
    God bless your naivety. WOT will never reconsider their opinion of a Greenway - even if they saw it as a useful tool to prevent squatting.

If the land has to lay idle (i.e. in a Greenway-free state) for 100 years until funds can be found to re-build it, then that's what has to happen in their view.

They don't give a sh1te how much it will cost to buy back the land from the squatters, because they won't be paying it - 'twill be "them above in Dublin" who will only be giving the Wesht the infrastructure it deserves.

And why are they so vehemently opposed to a cheaply-built, alignment-protecting Greenway? Because the more successful it is, the less the chance that the railway will be rebuilt. (Never mind the fact that the current alignment, alternative public & private transport options and population numbers don't support it).

serfboard wrote: »
    God bless your naivety. WOT will never reconsider their opinion of a Greenway - even if they saw it as a useful tool to prevent squatting.

If the land has to lay idle (i.e. in a Greenway-free state) for 100 years until funds can be found to re-build it, then that's what has to happen in their view.

They don't give a sh1te how much it will cost to buy back the land from the squatters, because they won't be paying it - 'twill be "them above in Dublin" who will only be giving the Wesht the infrastructure it deserves.

And why are they so vehemently opposed to a cheaply-built, alignment-protecting Greenway? Because the more successful it is, the less the chance that the railway will be rebuilt. (Never mind the fact that the current alignment, alternative public & private transport options and population numbers don't support it).

It can be repeated ad nauseum that the alignment of the Fish Fingers and Custard line is somehow "protected" by a Greenway, but the fact is that CIE still own it and have publically reasserted their ownership. Anyone encroaching on the alignment has no legal rights on it, and greenway, railway or nothing, that will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 errigalclimber

Banjoxed, much as I wouild like to think you are correct, I believe this is not the case. As I understand it, in order to defeat an adverse possession claim, the supposed legal owner would need to show possession to the exclusion of the party claiming adverse possession. It almost goes without saying that merely "asserting" rights of ownership through statements or the like while individuals and businesses effectively take over parts of the line does not demonstrate any form of exclusion. In fact quite the opposite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

State land has far more stringent rules as goes adverse possession than private land. CIE land is covered by that.

Correction, CIE land is covered by driveways, garage forecourts, gardens and the like. It does not matter in theory how many times it is said that CIE owns the land, if they do not positively assert their rights it will be, and in many cases it probably already has been, lost to private ownership.

Much as I like End of the Road's suggestion about legislation as to ownership of 'railway' land, I think it might create issues with Article 43 of the Irish constitution.

Case law on this is apparently set out in Dunne v Iarnrod Eireann if anybody wants to do some reading... I will later too...

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    State land has far more stringent rules as goes adverse possession than private land. CIE land is covered by that.
    Thirty year rule applies in the case of state lands, but the Claremorris Collooney section of the so-called WRC has been closed for well more than 30 years.
    The point that I and many posters have made is twofold; CIE needs to assert ownership of the route, and the silence from WOT on the squatting issue is hard to understand, given that they expect a railway to be built on the route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement