Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ma88 wrote: »
    for example the uk reg is FZ57SVF,after register in Ireland will that be 08 -D-...(2008 year Irish,when the uk is september 2007)?thanks.

No, if it is a UK 57 reg from Sept 2007, if registered in Ireland it would be a 07 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

No, if it is a UK 57 reg from Sept 2007, if registered in Ireland it would be a 07 reg.
    ok,thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got unlucky with mine- its date of first registration in the UK was the 16th of December....... On the bright side- the VRT was lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

But UK reg 57 runs from Sept 2007 to end of Feb 2008 ? So it would be possible to have a 08-D car that would have originated with a 57 UK reg ?

I am not doubting you - just want to make sure my understanding is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

sasol wrote: »
    But UK reg 57 runs from Sept 2007 to end of Feb 2008 ? So it would be possible to have a 08-D car that would have originated with a 57 UK reg ?

Your understanding is absolutely correct; it is the date of the registration which is relevant not the index which is maintained in the UK. 57 can be either 07 or 08 in Ireland depending on the reg date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

sasol wrote: »

The UK registration format is irrelevant to us here. If it is registered 7th Sept 07, then it gets 07-D-120000045, if it is registered 7th Feb 2008, it gets 08-D-120000045 or some silly number of digits. It is the year of first registration that counts, worldwide.

In the UK they often refer to the date first rgistered in the UK, not first registration worldwide - a point to note. This is relevant to cars first registered in Jersey or the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Hi Folks,

I have a few questions about importing a car from the UK.

1. What documentation should I expect from the seller. Is it like Ireland where we fill out the log book and post it off. Any tips to make sure I don't get duped.

2. Insurance. When driving the car over to Ireland, how does insurance cover work? Do I inform my own insurance company or will they even accept a uk reg?

3. Arriving in Ireland. Do I need to inform the revenue/NCT before I come back or after etc?

Complete novice here so apologies in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have a few questions about importing a car from the UK.

1. What documentation should I expect from the seller. Is it like Ireland where we fill out the log book and post it off. Any tips to make sure I don't get duped.

No.
    You need to take car's registration certificate (V5C) with you
    Seller might be wary to hand you that document, as normally it works in UK like in Ireland - that you fill in the details. But there is exception for selling vehicle for export abroad, where only option is for seller to hand you over the document.
    2. Insurance. When driving the car over to Ireland, how does insurance cover work? Do I inform my own insurance company or will they even accept a uk reg?
    They should.
    But it's probably good idea to ring them before you go, and ask.
    Otherwise you might purchase short term cover in UK, but quite likely it will be only thrid party, and not cheap.

3. Arriving in Ireland. Do I need to inform the revenue/NCT before I come back or after etc?
    You have 1 week from moment of arriving in Ireland, to start the registration process (in other words to log into NCTS VRT website and book appointment).

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Thought this might be of interest, apologies if already posted..

13th Aug 2013

Geraldine Herbert (wheelsforwomen.ie) and Anthony Kieran (usedcarsNI.com) joined Anton to talk through the process of buying a used car from the UK and Northern Ireland and what you should look out for while doing so.

http://www.todayfm.com/Importing-a-used-car-from-the-UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

din0saur wrote: »
    Thought this might be of interest, apologies if already posted..

13th Aug 2013

Geraldine Herbert (wheelsforwomen.ie) and Anthony Kieran (usedcarsNI.com) joined Anton to talk through the process of buying a used car from the UK and Northern Ireland and what you should look out for while doing so.

http://www.todayfm.com/Importing-a-used-car-from-the-UK

Thought Geraldine hadnt a clue about importing a car, I bought my car from a website and didnt go over to see the car before I put a deposit on it, I did however arrange for the AA to do a complete vehicle check on it before i paid anymore

Also if I am not mistaken, auctions are not the best places to buy a car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Mc Love wrote: »
    Also if I am not mistaken, auctions are not the best places to buy a car?

where do you think most of the trade/dealers in the uk get their stock? ;)

and they don't even attend the auctions, all bought live on line..........:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

auctions can be a good place to pick a car up in the uk if you go well before hand and have a look at the cars, some decent cars can be picked up for buttons.
    A few people i used to know, used to go to auctions quite often mainly to buy cars for breaking as there is usually profit if they go cheap enough.
    Ive been to a few in the past but never actually won anything at them usually as the price went above what i wanted to pay or on closer inspection of the vehicle it wasnt worth the money imo

how can i know the exact vrt amount for a 04 mercedes c220 diesel,automatic,avantgarde se 4 doors,as the ros has 3 options for this vehicle,where the prices differs from 850 to 1750 eur?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Key the current UK Reg into the following site and it will give you the exact VRT for your model as registered, with the exception of any potential loading for optional extras which are (but not always) taxed separately.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Kace wrote: »
    Key the current UK Reg into the following site and it will give you the exact VRT for your model as registered, with the exception of any potential loading for optional extras which are (but not always) taxed separately.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/

I dunno, Its hard to trust this thing. It came back with a OMSP of €14k on a 2012 Mazda with low miles CX-5 (VRT of just over 2k). Car in Ireland is worth about 20K minimum.

Then more often or not it returns "Unfortunately we were not able to calculate a VRT amount for this vehicle".

Not to be trusted IMO.

dnme wrote: »
    I dunno, Its hard to trust this thing. It came back with a OMSP of €14k on a 2012 Mazda with low miles CX-5 (VRT of just over 2k). Car in Ireland is worth about 20K minimum.

Then more often or not it returns "Unfortunately we were not able to calculate a VRT amount for this vehicle".

Not to be trusted IMO.

i agree i inputted the uk reg of my landrover series 3 1977 and it said

Vehicle: Land Rover RANGEROVER 4.2 4.2 VOGUE LSE 05DR 5dr, Manual, Petrol, ESTATE

Mileage: 54,000 mile
    CO2: 999g/km
    OMSP: €3,182
    VRT Band: 36%
    VRT Payable: €1,145

Edgey75 wrote: »
    i agree i inputted the uk reg of my landrover series 3 1977 and it said

Vehicle: Land Rover RANGEROVER 4.2 4.2 VOGUE LSE 05DR 5dr, Manual, Petrol, ESTATE

Mileage: 54,000 mile
    CO2: 999g/km
    OMSP: €3,182
    VRT Band: 36%
    VRT Payable: €1,145

Not only is that not pointing to your car, it's listing a car which never existed - there was no 4.2 Range Rover in 2002, the first was late 2005.

seems that motorcheck is not a lucky one with the exact vrt amount or does not give the correct car details,are there any other ways to check that?as ros has more options for the car i was looking for,where the prices differs.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not only is that not pointing to your car, it's listing a car which never existed - there was no 4.2 Range Rover in 2002, the first was late 2005.
    yeah rather worryingly considering the land rover is 1977 a different model 3 door and 2286cc and it shows up as a incorrect range rover.
    to top it all off it arrived in my spam box :D

i dont know of any other sites that are usefull or accurate in finding out the exact vrt, im gambling with the land rover myself but being 1977 im not expecting a bank breaking sum, and it was still loads cheaper than buying the same vehicle here, so far im about 3k cheaper than buying the same vehicle here and its in better condition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

yeah rather worryingly considering the land rover is 1977 a different model 3 door and 2286cc and it shows up as a incorrect range rover.

i dont know of any other sites that are usefull or accurate in finding out the exact vrt, im gambling with the land rover myself but being 1977 im not expecting a bank breaking sum, and it was still loads cheaper than buying the same vehicle here, so far im about 3k cheaper than buying the same vehicle here and its in better condition too.
    Try give them a ring and ask them or if you're near an NCT centre pop in.

Being 1977, no VRT is due on importation! The reduction in VRT is 100% for cars older than 30 years.

Oops of course I mean no ad valorem VRT but still a €200 standard charge.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Being 1977, no VRT is due on importation! The reduction in VRT is 100% for cars older than 30 years.

Oops of course I mean no ad valorem VRT but still a €200 standard charge.
    i thought as much but wasnt sure, its booked in for later this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey guys.
    Planning to buy from the UK and want to use transfermate. Just wondering what the typical fee involved is? And what exactly is the service you use from them? You obviously have the bank transfer details setup before you're in the UK and then once you've seen the car and your happy with it ring them up and tell them go ahead with the transfer? Then wait until the money is transferred and you're go to go?

Also has anyone ever successfully negotiated the price down with cargiant?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

Looking for the same - best way to pay for the car in UK. What I've found:
    1. AIB not allowed to transfer by internet banking more that €5000;
    2. There are a limit on debit cards: €2500;
    3. You could put money on your credit card and pay from it, but dealers wouldn't like to accept credit cards;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Redwid wrote: »
    3. You could put money on your credit card and pay from it, but dealers wouldn't like to accept credit cards;

they will, but you'll have to absorb some nasty fee's

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Hey guys.
    Planning to buy from the UK and want to use transfermate. Just wondering what the typical fee involved is? And what exactly is the service you use from them? You obviously have the bank transfer details setup before you're in the UK and then once you've seen the car and your happy with it ring them up and tell them go ahead with the transfer? Then wait until the money is transferred and you're go to go?

Also has anyone ever successfully negotiated the price down with cargiant?

Have used Transfermate and there is no real fee if I can remember, maybe 30eur, they make their fee on the sterling rate on the value of the transaction that they give you on a particular day which is valid for 3 days or 7 days?

You have to setup an account with them first which is free (passport, utility bill, sign a form with an accountant, garda etc) for money laundering.
    You should create the account sooner rather then later so you are ready to go if you see a car. Have used them a few times. no bad experience and they are prompt.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    they will, but you'll have to absorb some nasty fee's

Sure, my one asked for 3% charge

Have used Transfermate and there is no real fee if I can remember, maybe 30eur, they make their fee on the sterling rate on the value of the transaction that they give you on a particular day which is valid for 3 days or 7 days?

You have to setup an account with them first which is free (passport, utility bill, sign a form with an accountant, garda etc) for money laundering.
    You should create the account sooner rather then later so you are ready to go if you see a car. Have used them a few times. no bad experience and they are prompt.

How it works on Uk side? You just drop a call to Transfermatethem and then waited for transfer complete? How long it usually takes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Redwid wrote: »
    Looking for the same - best way to pay for the car in UK. What I've found:
    1. AIB not allowed to transfer by internet banking more that €5000;
    2. There are a limit on debit cards: €2500;

So, what did you end up doing? After all your research, what are your recommendations ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement