Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecelia Ahern - hack, PS, I hate you, you suck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Tangents are fine and to be honest, to be expected in any debate. However, stop the insults to Cecelia Ahern, her parents or the OP. They are not relevant nor are the helping to prove or disprove the OPs argument.

Perhaps CDFM would like to start a new thread on the content of the current English Curriculum in schools. I personally have found the debate on this very interesting and would love to see it continue but if the insults continue, I'll have to lock the thread and we'll lose the flow of things so far.

in any case, enough insults. this isnt a political or celebrity forum. Discuss her work, not her personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Have you actually ever read her though?

Yes ( I will read just about anything if there are no other options and cos I am curious, hurrah for the library tbh ), otherwise I could not have an opinion of her stuff and having read The Calling in "Irish Girls Are Back In Town", PS, I Love You and A Place Called Here; I still stand by my statement of
    "they cut down perfectly good trees to print this dross".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Being able to read a car manual doesn't imply the ability to understand the contents of it or the ability to apply the knowledge contained there in. If it did, no one would ever have to call technical support for a computer related problem.

• Advertisement

But the place for learning to write those manuals effectively is the English class, hence communication and why I object to literature (reading) getting higher priority in English to communication (writing).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

i do agree Cecilia Ahern's stuff is dribble but in fairness there is a market for brainless dribble and absolutely loads of it out there - I did the read dribble books for a while. Would she be famous and loaded if she wasn't the daughter of a famous politician - i don't think so but on the other hand she does get a hard time purely for who she is. There are many many many more who write the same rubbish but dedicated threads don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I'm gonna be sick.

May you be trapped on a brokendown bus where the only reading material is P.S.I Love You

The point which has been raised time and again in this thread is not that it does this, but that it fails to do this. If it were successful in this endeavour I very much doubt if we would be having this conversation.
    If someone can write an essay about, say, gothic archetypes in Wuthering Heights, she should have the expressive skills to write almost anything else as well.

I have to confess I find this an inexplicably naive statement. The problem with the Leaving Certificate syllabus at present is that it allows someone to be able to regurgitate an essay on gothic archetypes in Wuthering Heights without being able to write about anything much else skillfully.

In other words, the key point here is that for all its objectives, the English language syllabus for the Leaving Certificate, particularly at higher level is a FAIL. It allows students to buck its system because of the way its structured and I have some doubts about its ability to focus in on English as a tool for communicate particularly as it is so narrow in its outlook.

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »

Perhaps CDFM would like to start a new thread on the content of the current English Curriculum in schools. I personally have found the debate on this very interesting and would love to see it continue but if the insults continue, I'll have to lock the thread and we'll lose the flow of things so far.

Thanks for the suggestion but I would have to do too much reading.:)

I really dont know enough on the current curricullum to do it justice.

That would make for an interesting debate- really because imprecise english skills must hold students back in getting good grades.

Have you really missed all the suggestions whereby English could be split into two subjects for the Leaving Certificate, namely communication and analytical skills and literature? It has been suggested several times now. Not only that, it has been suggested that the reading list needs to be re-appraised.

You see, what I get here is an overwhelming fear that if literature is separated off into a possibly optional subject, it will not be so popular.

The overwhelming impression I get is that there is some fear against reassessing the English course at Leaving Certificate and I wonder why particularly since it is failing in what should be its objectives, namely to open young minds to exploration and to teach them to express ideas and concepts clearly in the language. It has been leaving generations with hatred of the classics which seem to be mega popular around here, and, of course, there are literacy issues.

I think it's disingenuous to deny there's a problem here; I have voiced an opinion on what you could do to change this and currently the only criticism has been, grosso modo, to assume that just because the rest of the UK school curriculum is so different to the Irish system, it won't work. That lacks analysis in my opinion.

Where is the imagination and creativity here? Seriously, the only signal I am getting from you is that "it's fine, nothing needs to change" when it's not really that fine.

While I've never (and will never) read Ahern (the moral objection of giving any cash to her family aside), I don't see the point of trashing the book, terrible as doubtlessly it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I was talking with a friend of a friend who went to Griffith College with Cecelia Ahern and reckons that she didn't write her own books, that they have been ghost written. Her basis is that she didn't show much talent for writing during the Journalism course and these novels all came out of left field once she had graduated. Went searching the net to see if there was any truth to this which has lead me to this thread, there isnt much else about it except for the OP's rant.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I just want it recorded in the annals, should this ever be revealed to be true in the future, that I KNEW IT!! mwahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tails142 wrote: »
    I was talking with a friend of a friend who went to Griffith College with Cecelia Ahern and reckons that she didn't write her own books, that they have been ghost written. Her basis is that she didn't show much talent for writing during the Journalism course and these novels all came out of left field once she had graduated. Went searching the net to see if there was any truth to this which has lead me to this thread, there isnt much else about it except for the OP's rant.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I just want it recorded in the annals, should this ever be revealed to be true in the future, that I KNEW IT!! mwahaha

It's been recorded in the annals, for good or ill.......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Besides the fact that it annoys me to see people in this country do well because Mummy and Daddy gave them an introduction and not through sheer ability, talent... her book does exactly what it says on the tin, it's not purporting to be high minded... I try not to be a snob because it's good to see people reading instead of mindlessly staring at the television. The truth is these books are in high demand, there is a market for it... blame the yummy mummies and doe eyed teenagers, middle aged women in need of a lift...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

cloudatlas wrote: »
    there is a market for it... blame the yummy mummies and doe eyed teenagers, middle aged women in need of a lift...

Women:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Edit: Nevermind :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

I have heard this said many times before , soar grapes or not I rather cut my arms off than give that family any of my hard earned money that I have left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It must be terrible living a lie.

we are so forgiving bless our little hearts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I've never read any of her work but can identify with the 'sour grapes' aspect, something which thrives in Ireland, and I was totally unprepared for it when my first book went on sale in 2007. The viciousness and spite I experienced was not directed at the book or its content, but at me, the author.
    We Irish like nothing better, it seems, than taking our fellow islanders down a peg or two; should they dare rise above a parapet that others set for us.
    I call this the 'box' syndrome.
    One must not attempt to raise the lid of the box one was born into, or there will be consequences.

I would warn any aspiring writers to develop a tough skin because once your work is 'out there,' well... you are fair game for this stuff.
    Four books on, I still get the snide remarks in shops, resturants, etc, each idiot thinking they are hilarious with their put downs, but always claiming the same old thing, NEVER to have bought ANY of my books, but 'read one in a toilet somewhere'...'dont give up the day job,' etc.
    But...thick skin or not, these remarks hurt, (but do not let them see it!)
    I wonder how many young Writers/Artists gave up promising careers because of these snipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Do you still believe in Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Okay it wasn't supposed to be taken that way but out of interest who do you think her books are marketed to, what demographic?

I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've never read any of her work but can identify with the 'sour grapes' aspect, something which thrives in Ireland, and I was totally unprepared for it when my first book went on sale in 2007. The viciousness and spite I experienced was not directed at the book or its content, but at me, the author.
    We Irish like nothing better, it seems, than taking our fellow islanders down a peg or two; should they dare rise above a parapet that others set for us.
    One must not attempt to raise the lid of the box one was born into, or there will be consequences.

I would warn any aspiring writers to develop a tough skin because once your work is 'out there,' well... you are fair game for this stuff.
    Four books on, I still get the snide remarks in shops, resturants, etc, each idiot thinking they are hilarious with their put downs, but always claiming the same old thing, NEVER to have bought ANY of my books, but 'read one in a toilet somewhere'...'dont give up the day job,' etc.
    I wonder how many young Writers/Artists gave up promising careers because of these snipes.

There's hardly a writer anywhere who hasn't been criticised at some stage or another. Just out of interest, are you in the Cecilia Ahern genre of fiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Constructive criticism of their work is welcomed by every writer.
    I'm not familiar with Ms. Aherne's books, but I assume it's 'chick-lit,' being very far removed from anything I've managed to write.
    Anyway, the best of luck to her and I hope further success follows.

• Advertisement

If you are referring to me and my soar grapes number one thank you for assuming I am Irish I was raised outside of Ireland and to be honest I am a very positive person in regards promoting and praising others peoples work or interests BUT I still would rather lose my arms than buy her book so please dont try to justify soar grapes in this case, I dont know you and I am sure your books are marvelous but nothing in this world would make me spend money that would in some way go to the AHERN clan if I had my way he would be in jail but yeah thats me, but bless her she can come on smiling all she wants I know who she is that will never change If she didnt want to back her father she had that choice but she did and said the last time on the late late show that it was UNFAIR that her father was mistreated by people hahaha if only it was April fools.

Advertisement