Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boiler

Options
  • 13-10-2013 8:28pm

Hi

Im pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing so please bear with me.

Im after a new boiler. I have gas at the moment but the old (20year old) boiler just packed in. I want to replace it with oil.

-This is my first question. Is this wise to change from gas to oil?

My house is small. 85sqm and Im planning on a dormer extension for 2 rooms in it. I am also planning on fitting a boiler stove to run the radiators and hot water from. As such, the new oil boiler will be my "secondary" heat supply.

-what size boiler will I need?

-which make of boiler is the one to go for? Id prefer to pay the extra for the better quality.

-any rough estimates of prices including installation?

I do plan on getting a professional in but just want to have done my homework first.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Why go to oil ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

sullzz wrote: »
    Why go to oil ?

Nat gas =oil in my opinion 50/50
    LPG= Rip off
    Nat gas handier, montly bills rather than big payout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Nat Gas is 25% cheaper than kerosene plus there is additional savings from a modulating gas boiler.
    An oil boiler can only give all or nothing. A gas boiler will modulate its flame down to suit the demand based on the return temperature of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

TheTorment wrote: »
    Hi

Im after a new boiler. I have gas at the moment but the old (20year old) boiler just packed in. I want to replace it with oil.

My house is small. 85sqm and Im planning on a dormer extension for 2 rooms in it. I am also planning on fitting a boiler stove to run the radiators and hot water from. As such, the new oil boiler will be my "secondary" heat supply.

-which make of boiler is the one to go for? Id prefer to pay the extra for the better quality.

I do plan on getting a professional in but just want to have done my homework first.

Many thanks.

LPG ( Calor ) or Natural gas ?
    Meter rental with Nat. gas or tank rental with LPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

That is a small enough area to heat. Of course you have to take into consideration insulation, window sizes, detached semi-detached etc but a small boiler would be adequate enough just for a back up or for heating the rads before the stove cuts in.
    I would say 60/80 btus would be more than enough and I would not bother going to the expense of a condensing boiler if it is only used as a stand by.
    A couple of years ago I installed some Solo radiators and it was one of the best things I did. They are especially good when you are using solid fuel as they will keep putting out heat at lower temperatures.
    But that is just my opinion based on experience; I am sure many more will join in with ther slant on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi

Many thanks.
    Hi, My opinion is its 100 percent wise to change to oil.The boiler you want is a grant vortex or grant euroflame,There is not much between them but the vortex is marginally better on efficency but it cost about 100 euro more.Your fitting a stove as your primary source of heat so paying fixed charges per month[even for months you dont use it] for a secondary source of heat like gas is not cost efficient.With oil you only pay for it when the boiler is turned on.If you wanted a boiler was to be your primary source of heat instead of a stove then gas could possibly be more efficient that oil depending on the amount of heat required

I agree with Agusta if you are definitely installing a boiler stove & you do not wish to link the systems via a heat exchanger. The Vortex has a good few differences over the Euroflane especially the outdoor models, such as the frost stat.
    The gas is more suitable though for smaller demands due to its modulation capabilities.

Thanks for the replies folks.

It is a small detached bungalow currently on Flogas. Id rather not spend on the annual charge for having the service.
    Is it best to get an outdoor boiler?
    Shane, can you explain what linking the two would achieve please?

When linking gas boilers & solid fuel systems, the water that travels through your gas boiler should not be the same water that travels through the back boiler. The gas boiler will suffer & you will have nothing but heartache.
    You can link the two with a heat exchanger array such as the Firebird HTT. This one meets the new solid fuel regs once they are released shortly.
    You can pressurise the rads & gas boiler whilst having the back boiler open vented. Also no need to change your HW cylinder as it does not need to be dual coil.

There are other link systems available but IMO the above is excellent & meets the new regs whilst most others will not.

I asked a plumber to quote me for the Grant Vortex and install it.

He quoted €3400 plus vat. Not including tank stand electric work and digging for line.
    He will be connecting up to existing pipework.

I was taken aback by this price. Is it accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I asked a plumber to quote me for the Grant Vortex and install it.

He quoted €3400 plus vat. Not including tank stand electric work and digging for line.
    He will be connecting up to existing pipework.

I was taken aback by this price. Is it accurate?

It really depends on the work involved. Was he including a powerflush?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It really depends on the work involved. Was he including a powerflush?
    No mention of it anyway.
    at most 20ft of piping would be needed from boiler to join existing pipes. As further work will be done on the house later we agreed that pipes could go over floor as it is a temporary measure just to have heating installed for winter.

No mention of it anyway.
    at most 20ft of piping would be needed from boiler to join existing pipes. As further work will be done on the house later we agreed that pipes could go over floor as it is a temporary measure just to have heating installed for winter.

Is there a new oil tank or what?

Sorry. Should have said it includes oil tank

Sorry. Should have said it includes oil tank

Seems dear if no flush included. Ask about whether it includes a flush. And if not I'd get rid of him. A proper flush is a must

Advertisement