Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Courier Job

Options
  • 21-10-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any couriers here who could give me a steer.

I currently work an office job and have been made redundant. For a while now I've been wanting to switch to something that gets me out from behind the desk - now I've been pushed!

I have no idea about the type of pay involved. Without asking anyone to disclose their salary I'm wondering if this type of job would allow me to pay the bills... I've a mortgage and a new baby!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what I've read in various places, bicycle couriering pays less than minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lumen wrote: »
    From what I've read in various places, bicycle couriering pays less than minimum wage.

Lumen's correct, the pay's brutal. You'd definitely struggle to pay a mortgage and bills on it, and it's far from the exciting fun job that people think it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Thanks guys.

Why do people do it then? Is is a flat rate salary or is it basic salary + €€€ per delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I did it for a while a few years ago. The basic then was €350 guaranteed as long as my radio was on for work 9-5 Monday to Friday. I could go over that in a busy week but they were few and far between. Otherwise I was getting anything from €1.50 to around €4/5 per delivery and there were days where you'd barely make over a dozen. It's not like the place I was working was cut throat in terms of push bike deliveries either - there were only two of us on bikes and the work was evenly distributed between us.

I was glad I did it but I was free of responsibilities at the time. When you factor in the money you'd inevitably end up spending on food and drink, bike maintenance, wet gear, a proper courier bag, etc, it probably wouldn't be worth your while financially given your circumstances.

Give it a go by all means but keep looking for something else if money is your prime motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tempnam wrote: »
    Why do people do it then?
    There are lots of awful jobs that pay crap money.

Before I became a professional dork I worked as a paperboy, hotel waiter, school cleaner, supermarket shelf-stacker, overnight data entry clerk and call centre operative.

Most of those involved being micro managed indoors by sociopaths, in several cases whilst wearing brown nylon clothing, whereas couriering involves fresh-ish air and bicycles.

I did quite like operating the floor polishers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Lumen wrote: »
    There are lots of awful jobs that pay crap money.

Before I became a professional dork I worked as a paperboy, hotel waiter, school cleaner, supermarket shelf-stacker, overnight data entry clerk and call centre operative.

Most of those involved being micro managed indoors by sociopaths, in several cases whilst wearing brown nylon clothing, whereas couriering involves fresh-ish air and bicycles.

I did quite like operating the floor polishers though.

I can relate. Started off working as a cleaner. Graduated up to a 'career' job as a 'professional' - but to be honest get no enjoyment from it. I'd love to be out & about - enjoying the fresh-ish air and keeping active!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

When I worked as a courier you'd generally make over 400 euro a week on commission as long as you did 5 days. (30-40 jobs on an average day at 2 euro a job plus ten % bonus, more if business was good). But I believe the industry has declined a lot since then with the recession and growth of secure electronic messaging etc.

Can be great fun when it goes well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Courier for who? Where is this work available?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Courier for who? Where is this work available?

That was for cyclone, but the last time I worked for them was in 2006-7. I believe the pay is way down these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Sounds like a great job if money isn't your prime directive, I just want to be happy, where Can I apply for a job like this? I'm down yonder cork direction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sounds like a great job if money isn't your prime directive, I just want to be happy, where Can I apply for a job like this? I'm down yonder cork direction

Approach courier companies in your area. They have a fairly high turnover of staff, so keep trying. Also winter's coming, there's a lot less interest then. Students are back in college and the terrible, terrible weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Approach courier companies in your area. They have a fairly high turnover of staff, so keep trying. Also winter's coming, there's a lot less interest then. Students are back in college and the terrible, terrible weather.

Cheers dark glasses, weather wouldn't put me off, I have all the gear, I used to cycle to work most days, cycling over the bridge where I used to see a mile long stretch of cars on their way to work aswell just off the sarsfield road roundabout.loved being on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Depends who you work for, not everyone offers a basic, so if you are new, you will be paid per job (sometimes €1) and make less money than the experienced guys. Wages have declined a lot as the companies decided to keep lowering their prices to take business from each other. I know some guys get €250 now who used to make €400-500.

No paid holidays or sick pay and if you're injured while working you're on your own.

Some people still love it though. The worldwide messenger community are amazing, don't get that in most jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=8PBFFnpaiAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I cycle to work everyday, but it's a whole lot different to 9-10 hours in the rain/snow. Nothing stays waterproof that long. They're a hardy bunch and deserve much better working conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm currently having to consider any work I can find and since I being able to cycle a bike is my only transferable skill after redundancy I'm thinking if couriering. How flexible is it, i.e. can it be done on a part-time basis? Mornings only or not show on a day I get better paid work? Or as with most jobs would I just be considered unreliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'm currently having to consider any work I can find and since I being able to cycle a bike is my only transferable skill after redundancy I'm thinking if couriering. How flexible is it, i.e. can it be done on a part-time basis? Mornings only or not show on a day I get better paid work? Or as with most jobs would I just be considered unreliable?

It can be flexible, haven't heard of anyone just doing mornings. Companies tend to do a bonus, so if in 5 days you get money on top of what you earn. If you don't turn up you won't get paid, if at a bigger company they might let you away with not turning up, but get fed less work than the regulars. Some companies offer a basic. Cyclone and Wheels are probably the best, especially if working on a Bullitt. An A-Z is your best friend. Go in and and have a chat with the companies.

The exengers in a certain bike shop on Parnell St can give you more info. One is in Sundrive.

Advertisement