Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the anger against current government?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Im going to play devils advocate here however notice alot of what I read online is general animosity towards current government, and I know the property tax is an example of an unpopular policy they've introduced but at the same time I know they're coming off the back of an unprecedented IMF intervention. It appears that many people seem to blame this government for all of life's problems when really its the previous govt the should be pissed at. Did people really expect the govt to turn the whole economy around after two and half years in government?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Because they're lying hypocritical bastards.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think FG and Labour gave the impression that they were going to different to FF, particularly reducing the severity of the budget adjustments. Yet they had pretty much zero control over the budget as the Troika have to approve the budget. I believe they were implying in campaigning the life was going to be easier with them, as budget adjustments were going to be smaller(although the troika had decided on the budget adjustments for the next few years). Also we got years of how corrupt FF were, but yet with FG there was shady allocations of new health centers in a certain ministers constituency.

Overall what have FG and Labour achieved that no other party could have achieved? Nothing really, they have dragged their heals on any sensitive issues such as Abortion and Same sex marriage(like any other party, although Labour likes to portray that they are liberal) . Labour has this need to "protect" people on welfare because its unfair to cut social welfare. But yet there is little incentive to work and not cutting welfare now result in people who wouldnt want to work in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

They have lied to, and grossly misled the Irish electorate.
    They have continued the exact same policies of the previous comedy show that masqueraded as a Government.
    The swaggering arrogance, especially of the FG members is astonishing.
    We can only hope that they get their due answers at the next election and that the Labour party will join the PDs and Greens in the dustbin of history.

P.S. await for the arrival of their apologists on this thread, telling us what a great job they have done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A lot of Irish people wanted someone to wave a magic wand and rid us of our problems overnight, so we could get back to making ourselves rich buying property. Naturally they're disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

hmmm wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people wanted someone to wave a magic wand and rid us of our problems overnight, so we could get back to making ourselves rich buying property. Naturally they're disappointed.

This too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭jacool

/thread
    Yup, telling us in 2009 that he wanted us to vote on abolishing an Seanad, and that he'd respect the electorates decision.

Won't even do the "best out of 3" Maastricht thing - very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

This:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/students-brand-government-liars-over-tuition-fee-promises-268414-Nov2011/

And this:
    http://www.jobbridge.ie

And the property tax, not sure if the broadcasting charge was the current government but if so add that too.

My anger, I won't speak for everyone, but my anger stems from the fact that they don't represent Ireland. They, the people's representatives. They put party before country. They do not follow the wishes of the people. They are so out of touch with the common man that it's scary.

I only respect one man in the Dail, Stephen Donnelly. He seems to be truly representative. Frustrated with the process of politics, banging his head off the wall of red tape but wanting the best for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I guess its more anger at labour than FG. Labour promised to abolish college fees but they are still here and rising. Labour claimed "labours way or Frankfurt's ways". Well it's more frankfurts way from here. The problem is all our policitians are populist. FF will get back in next time, the economy will pick up without them needing to do much and the cycle will continue. It really is trying to choose the lesser of the evils. I'd rather spoil my vote than vote for any if them atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And an even greater number wanted those responsible for ruining this country to be held to account.
    Obviously, they're extremely disappointed.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

/thread

like most human beings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because they've done pretty much nothing since they got in. The required cuts and reform have not been made, it's more of the same. More taxes and charges, not tackling waste and misspend, making sure they take care of themselves first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You just hit the nail on the head there. The parties in government have to deal with reality. The opposition can live in the land of mythical populism, where money grows on trees; the world that the Irish public prefers.

This is always going to result in anger against the government, unless they too are in the privileged position of being able to live in the land of mythical populism, throwing money at anything and everything, which they did during the boom years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

That the entrenched economic interests, both public and private remain in their pre-bellum (eg the number of state agencies have remained fairly much as is) and increases in the tax burden has not seen a corresponding democratic oversight of the spending - ie town councils being shorn more of their powers and the Ombudsman office being sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Because they were handed a train wreck of an economy by FF (yet again) and some people are still trying to get into the first class dining car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

because they've done pretty much nothing since they got in. The required cuts and reform have not been made, it's more of the same. More taxes and charges, not tackling waste and misspend, making sure they take care of themselves first.

Fiscal treaty, judges pay, introduced personal insolvency legislation, legislated for abortion which previous governments avoided, passed a referendum on children's rights, renegotiated the interest rate on the EU/IMF loan, extended the term of our EU/IMF loan, managed to maintain our corporate tax regime which has come under huge pressure from competing countries, cut billions out of public sector pay while managing to maintain the majority of our services. Then we have people jumping up and down over Anglo but when given the opportunity to give the government more powers to do something via the House of the Oireachtas Inquiries referendum we voted no! Same thing with today's referendum, government gave people the opportunity to abolish a pointless institution which effectively has no power and has always been a breed I g ground for politicians to cut their teeth and again we vote no. As for student fees, I have no problem with the introduction of student fees especially since the overwhelming majority of students are from families that can afford to pay the fees and don't seem to have any problems sending their kids to fee paying secondary schools with is substantially more expensive than third level. Also, why should we be expected to fund third level education when many students are in courses which they have no intention of pursuing a career in and the ones that do are emigrating to other countries that are reaping the rewards of an education funded by Irish citizens. As for property tax, water charges etc yes unpopular policies but we were always on borrowed time with these and the days of free public services are unfortunately coming to an end, and that's not just Ireland. Health, agreed this is not a acceptable situation but I think we have to bear in mind that we are two and half years off the back of what is effectively a fifty year fianna fail legacy.

Taking into account all of the above, I think that this isn't a bad track record for a new government only half way into its first term after twenty years in opposition and off the back of an unprecedented economic crisis and an IMF intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

washman3 wrote: »
    They have lied to, and grossly misled the Irish electorate.
    They have continued the exact same policies of the previous comedy show that masqueraded as a Government.
    The swaggering arrogance, especially of the FG members is astonishing.
    We can only hope that they get their due answers at the next election and that the Labour party will join the PDs and Greens in the dustbin of history.

P.S. await for the arrival of their apologists on this thread, telling us what a great job they have done so far.
    As a matter of curiousity, does this mean you'll be voting FF next year?
    Sad but true. If FF comes back in on the next cycle (or any time for the next 15-20 years) we deserve everything coming to us as a nation, and our young and skilled would be idiots to not run from here, full pelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They're a Government in a recession, regardless of any of the ****-ups they've managed, they'd probably be fairly unpopular regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

This thread is rich in hyperbole.... Thin on reality.

I see a government working on reducing their deficit in an environment every pressure group / union is working against them.

Despite tax rises Ireland is still a low & progressively taxed country.

'de peoples' anger should be directed at the party that caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Do you know better alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Painted Pony

nesf wrote: »
    They're a Government in a recession, regardless of any of the ****-ups they've managed, they'd probably be fairly unpopular regardless.
    What strikes me as remarkable about the government (FG in particular) is that they are not as unpopular as I thought they would be. But perhaps that is because Labour are taking the full brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What strikes me as remarkable about the government (FG in particular) is that they are not as unpopular as I thought they would be. But perhaps that is because Labour are taking the full brunt.

well they aren't making the required cuts so are more popular than they otherwise would be.

well they aren't making the required cuts so are more popular than they otherwise would be.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Aren't the adjustments to get our deficit back to sensible levels more or less on target?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

I'm not sure what you mean. Aren't the adjustments to get our deficit back to sensible levels more or less on target?

Markets will decide it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's the shallowness of what they are doing.

Kenny argued for years to have the tax rebate on second homes removed for ministers. Yes he was straight in and availed of it the minute he was actually in a position to remove it.
    Gilmore with his famous "labours way" comment just demonstrated his stupidity and his u turn on college fees shows his lack of character.

The we won't touch PAYE rates was a silly commitment, they instead have to tack on a crap load of stealth taxes to compensate.

Kenny won't stand up in Public and debate anything, this in my mind renders him useless as a leader. What does he do when meeting with the Other leaders? Hold on lads and I'll get someone else to speak for me?

At the end of the day they have a huge list of failed promises. They lies and spun out ridiculous ideas at election time just to get into power. This breaks all credibility that they may have had.

Politics in Ireland is dead from the inside out. Each party is a rebranding of the others with little more than failed teachers clambering to get their slice of the gravey train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

We were promised a whole new kind of politics and got Perry, Hogan and O'Reilly

We were offered hope and got to support a system that allows people to stay in their unpaid for house's for free

We were offered a future but the government is holding on to a massive housing stock for statigic reasons....

We were offered fairness and equity but got a squeezed middle, the upper /lower classes got off scot free

We were offered real reform....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

rodento wrote: »
    We were promised a whole new kind of politics and got Perry, Hogan and O'Reilly

We were offered hope and got to support a system that allows people to stay in their unpaid for house's for free

We were offered a future but the government is holding on to a massive housing stock for statigic reasons....

We were offered fairness and equity but got a squeezed middle, the upper /lower classes got off scot free

We were offered real reform....

Assuming you are an adult and are old enough to vote, did you seriously expect a change of fortunes two years into a new government? All the reasons for not liking the govt seem to be fairly wishy washy to me. A lot of talk on here about reform, new politics, change etc but what exactly do people want? The reasons for not liking the govt from what I read on here seem to be personal gripes more than anything else. As for change and reform, we've had five referendums within two and a half years which is unprecedented in our times. If we compare that to the previous govt who held two referendums since 2001 being the protection of life and Irish citizebship. The rest were all driven by our membership of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They're making cuts yes, the question is whether they're tackling the structural issues in the economy. Theses are things like, can we continue to fund pensioners at the current rate with our current tax regime going forward (the answer is no, when my/our generation retires we're pretty screwed unless our kids decide to be particularly fecund). Are they tackling (perceived) waste in the public sector? And so on. The cuts they're making tend to be quick fixes, water charges and property taxes aside.

nesf wrote: »
    They're making cuts yes, the question is whether they're tackling the structural issues in the economy. Theses are things like, can we continue to fund pensioners at the current rate with our current tax regime going forward (the answer is no, when my/our generation retires we're pretty screwed unless our kids decide to be particularly fecund). Are they tackling (perceived) waste in the public sector? And so on. The cuts they're making tend to be quick fixes, water charges and property taxes aside.
    Yes the pension issue is a huge problem. And in fairness to the previous government they did make an issue to address the problem with their pension fund.

But is is a huge problem and I don't see anyway, especially given the current climate, that this, or any other government can solve it. Funding pensions from the exchequer was / is not a great idea. We can all expect to work for longer than we had thought and / or to get a much reduced pension, if we get one at all.

And this goes back to the broader question as to how much we could reasonably expect any government to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Assuming you are an adult and are old enough to vote, did you seriously expect a change of fortunes two years into a new government? All the reasons for not liking the govt seem to be fairly wishy washy to me. A lot of talk on here about reform, new politics, change etc but what exactly do people want? The reasons for not liking the govt from what I read on here seem to be personal gripes more than anything else. As for change and reform, we've had five referendums within two and a half years which is unprecedented in our times. If we compare that to the previous govt who held two referendums since 2001 being the protection of life and Irish citizebship. The rest were all driven by our membership of the EU.

Assuming you are an adult and old enough to vote, did you expect a government to break all of its promises to the voters and remain popular? Perhaps you did - you weren't far off crediting the government for the two weeks of great sunshine we got this summer.

And for what its worth I think you're misreading rodentos post - he's highlighting that the government promised to undertake business in an honest, fair and transparent way. Not that everything would be solved in two years. People are very clear that the system of governance in Ireland is badly broken: FG were elected with a clear mandate to reform it, to undo the corrosive cynicism in Irish politics.

First week into power, Enda Kenny was breaching salary caps for his advisors: snouts in the tough.

Advertisement