Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon - Port Forwarding

Options
  • 20-08-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭

I've been reading mixed reports about port forwarding not possible on the new Horizon box.
    I need to forward some ports for security cameras, can anyone with a one confirm this is possible and working OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I've been reading mixed reports about port forwarding not possible on the new Horizon box.
    I need to forward some ports for security cameras, can anyone with a one confirm this is possible and working OK?

Yes you can forward ports. UPC will not give you any technical support for this activity. I have forwarded ports for access to my NAS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

cheers thanks.
    I don't really fancy support from them anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Yes you can forward ports. UPC will not give you any technical support for this activity. I have forwarded ports for access to my NAS etc.

How do you actually do it?

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Log onto http://192.168.192.1/
    user admin
    pass admin

at top click on advanced
    at left side click on forwarding
    put in ports and Internal IP address and protocol.

for most users that will be the same port for both (FTP is 21, Webserver is 80, mail is 25 and 110 etc), the IP address of the machine on your network or your webcam IP etc and BOTH for protocol.

Save and reboot (dunno if reboot is required)

Now here is the pain in the a$$....

There is something called WAN port reflection which allows you to put in your external internet address (www.whatismyipaddress.com will tell you what this is) from your internal network and for it to bounce you back into your router...Horizon doesn't do this

So in order to test this you need to be on a second internet connection which is something most people don't have at home unless you use your phone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

Hi, not to good at this stuff and could do with some help.

I am trying to open a port for utorrent

I have set the port in utorrent to 28670

& in the horizon box set the following

Public Port Range 28670
    Target IP Address 192.168.192.10
    Target Public Port Range 28670

Protocol both

Both PF portchecker is saying its still closed.

any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement

There is no need to do port forwarding for utorrent... the ports are blocked by the firewall on your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

There is no need to do port forwarding for utorrent... the ports are blocked by the firewall on your pc

Well the downloading was never as slow before I upgraded to horizon ???

ok, well port forwarding has absolutely and utterly nothing to do with your problem.

Noone can tell you how fast your torrent were before horizon but on a wired connection there is absolutely no difference in the throughput between horizon and the standalone cable modems from what i can yell.

Wireless is a completely different story but no one torrents over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I do wabbit never found a difference, torrents max at around 4.5mbit a sec, normally takes about 6-7 mins for a show to download over wireless, 4.5gb movie took about an hour the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blizzards

Has anybody been able to do the portforwarding????I have been able to do it on a few different routers including upcs cisco but am stuck with the horizon.I am trying to access my cctv dvr from the wan , I can view it when on the lan but not the wan.I have filled in the
    public port range 8080
    target ip address(dvrs ip)
    target port range 8080
    protocol both
    save!
    I have filled in the dvrs ip in dmz host.When i check canyouseeme.org is says that the ports are open however when i try to access it i can not access the target ip address.There doesn't seem to be an option to lower the firewall.Any help would be great.I have also tried giving the ports a range like 8080-8081.

• Advertisement

Where are you when you check canyouseeme.org?

If you are actually on your own network behind the horizon box this will not work.

You need to try from a seperate internet connection to your horizon connection.

Where are you when you check canyouseeme.org?

If you are actually on your own network behind the horizon box this will not work.

You need to try from a seperate internet connection to your horizon connection.

Yes i am inside the network when i check canyouseeme.org, I didn't think you could check it from outside the network as it only allows you to input your port numbers and automatically uses the house ip, however since i cannot get to my cctv's dvr i can only assume its not open or is been blocked.Any ideas where i am going wrong with the port forwarding?????Thanks for the reply.

You havent done anything wrong and it does work, I explained why above in post 5

From inside your lan you cannot access using the external WAN Ip address as the router needs to support WAN port reflection which the horizon box doesn't do. Inside your network you need to use the Internal IP and port number and externally you need to use the wan IP address ( a DDNS host like Dyndns really helps).

You havent done anything wrong and it does work, I explained why above in post 5

From inside your lan you cannot access using the external WAN Ip address as the router needs to support WAN port reflection which the horizon box doesn't do. Inside your network you need to use the Internal IP and port number and externally you need to use the wan IP address ( a DDNS host like Dyndns really helps).
    I can access the cctv's dvr when i am on the network using the internal ip and port but when i try it externally using the wan ip and port i cant.I was thinking it was the router and maybe the port wasnt open.
    My questions are-
    1.So am i right in saying you think i have the port forwarding done correctly?
    2.The only way to check if the port is open is to try and access it from an external network.you are saying i can't use canuseeme.org????? trying to avoid using a ddns(ie extra costs)

Well my appleTV and Xbox streaming have all stopped working and it's frustrating the bejayziz out of me.

N

neither of which have any association with port forwarding unless your trying to access your apple tv or xbox streams from outside of your own network.

I'm having the same issue, filled in correctly but its having no effect. Very frustrating.

neither of which have any association with port forwarding unless your trying to access your apple tv or xbox streams from outside of your own network.

Oh I understand that Wabbit completely, but with limited access on the Horizon box I cannot figure out why wireless clients can't see wired clients (xbox, appleTV). No problems with Xbox live or any NAT issues at all but all streaming services have ceased even though the necessary ports are open.

Anybody know if I can turn off the router functions and just make it a gateway (ie modem) so I can hook up a new Netgear .ac router.

I'll do some further investigating at the weekend.

N

Nialler, where you able to open ports???can you see were i am going wrong in above posts or does that look ok???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Folks, just to share my experience, never did this before but did it with no issue on horizon box. Was able to open up FTP port and test remotely. Port forwarding on horizon worked no issue and I also needed to add some firewall rules )open ports) in Win 7.

• Advertisement

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Folks, just to share my experience, never did this before but did it with no issue on horizon box. Was able to open up FTP port and test remotely. Port forwarding on horizon worked no issue and I also needed to add some firewall rules )open ports) in Win 7.

what port number did you open(wondering does it have to be 80???)???How did you test it remotely??was it by trying to access something???

Blizzards, here's the steps that I took that worked for me. First time doing it so no doubt room for improvement and hope that helps someone.

I use filezilla server on PC and filezilla client on laptop.
    Laptop connects via wireless to horizon and pc wired to horizon, so both on my LAN.
    From filezilla client on laptop connected to filezilla server on PC, using IP address of PC. As these are on LAN there are internal so start with 192. provided a windows user id and password and it connected but couldn't do much.
    On windows I shared a single folder with the userid I used for FTP and they worked.
    So the above was the start and the most effort.

Next bit the external bit from easier they I thought, did a bit of reading on port forwards concepts and broke my cherry!

First thing you next to know your exteral IP (which will change over time) it's starts with 80. To find via google from any machine connected with search term what ip and is shows up.
    In horizon I have ports 21 and 22 as public and target, the target IP this the 198. IP of the server.
    On the windows server, I opened up 21 and 22 in the firewall rules.

From another network, so now external from my LAN, I FTP in using my public IP 80.xxx.xxx. with windows user id and password and it connected and all works well.

Thanks Majj for reply.i will try again tomorrow.

Ah finally i got it!!!I had it done the right way but for some reason it wouldn't open port 8080(maybe it was to high a number).I tried it with just 80 and it worked.Happy days

Blizzards wrote: »
    Ah finally i got it!!!I had it done the right way but for some reason it wouldn't open port 8080(maybe it was to high a number).I tried it with just 80 and it worked.Happy days
    Nice one, Port 80 is for httpso that's the reason.

Nice one, Port 80 is for httpso that's the reason.

If it worked for port 80 and not for 8080 thats because the service was operating on port 80 and not 8080.

for future reference and if you are ever trying to figure out what port a an application is running do this

Start>Search> Cmd (or start>run>cmd) and press enter or double click the icon to start a command prompt.

In the window that comes up type:

netstat -a -n -b | more

Netstat just gives you network statistics

-a lists the connections and ports
    -n says not to resolve the hostnames and just give the addresses ( A Lot quicker)
    -b tells you what the program is thats using the port

| more ( "|" symbol is the one usually above \ on the keyboard, otherwise knows as "pipe") just means that the list will stop when a page is filled as if you have a lot of stuff running there will be to much detail for you to see it all.

I had the dvr(cctv) set for port 8080 and i had it working fine on the cisco router(with port 8080 open), just when i changed to Horizon it wouldn't work so i changed both router and dvr(cctv) to port80.Anyway it works fine now so i can rest easy.Thanks again for all your help

Possibly something (remote web management) is running on the horizon box on Port 8080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Is there any way of getting WAN port reflection to work on this device? I have cctv working and can see the cameras from an external network but as it's used as a baby monitor it would be great if it worked on our wireless in the house.

Advertisement