Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Genie

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this draught excluder for the chimney?

Wonder if it is any good? Currently use a couple of bin liners stuffed with fibreglass insulation to keep out the draughts.

Edit,
    Just saw the price, €120. Seems very expensive. Might just stick with what I have !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bogside Derry City

Fire-Genie product is fixed chimney damper, when install and in closed postion... it's does what is says on the tin (see attached flyer) - it allows your chimney to breath - in a fully open postion you can light a fire as normal, there is a second postion (Eco-Position) help your fires to burn longer.

Stuffing your chimney with a Bin Liner full of fibre-glass, the chimney balloon, old pillow case etc...... The following will happen: your chimney can not breath, causing sweating, soot smells etc... this will traps falling soot, bird dropping, sticks from nest building, rain etc... then when removing the chimney blockers you do have a real mess and this will happen every time you will want light a fire...... and the most dangerous thing of all is your Bin Liner full of fibre-glass, the chimney balloon, old pillow case... move up your chimney well out of your reach and when happen it will cost lots money and mess to call in the professional.... :mad:

Now when this happen the Fire-Genie now become good value for money...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

So did anyone get one of these, if so how did it fair out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wasntme

Bogside, sounds like you work for Fire Genie or you have shares in them!

Anyway, I got one of these-eventually! Had to wait nearly a month from the time I ordered it though as the lads who run the company do supply and fit-still a month was a long wait and that kind of wait can't be good for anyone's business. Apart from that the install was a decent, clean job-fitter was friendly too. The results? I have to say that the living room is warmer-particularly the following morning, and the genie is better than a chimney balloon because you can't inflate them when your fire is out (at least I wouldn't!). I use less firewood to-I would guess just under a quarter less than before I had the damper fitted.

BTW: the cost was €165 and I have an 18" fireback. Fitter said that that makes for a standard fitting--not sure what non-standard would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JIMNI

First I just want to say that I have never posted to a board before, never felt the need to. However, this time is different. A friend's parent had a Fire Genie and cowl fitted by Fire Genie themselves late last year. Seemed to work great at first, until the wind blew from the NW. The friend's parents CO alarm went off and they thought initially it was a fault on the alarm as it was a couple of years old. They replaced the alarm with a new one and everything seemed to work just fine until the wind, again coming in from the NW, caused the CO alarm to go off. The parents called the Fire Genie fitter several times but never got a return call, which is shocking. Needless to say they've paid someone to remove the cowl and genie and the CO alarm has never gone off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kkhurler

Got fire genie installed and cowl fitted promised by Francis if it didnt work a full refund would be given. It didn't work Francis took out the fire genie and took back the cowl months ago and I am still chasing him for my €300 refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wasntme

Despite my earlier posting almost a year ago bad news struck with my Fire Genie. Last Sunday evening I went to open up the Genie as I heard what sounded like a bird in the chimney. Now I haven't been lighting fires in the hearth since end of April, however, I couldn't open the bloody lid at first. There was considerable rust on the lid and it looked like the hinge was stuck. I decided to give the hinges a few squirts of WD40 and waited another hour before giving the lid another go. After considerable pushing the hinges groaned and then, simultaneously, a large section of fire cement broke away from the bed the Genie was sat on and the left hand hinge's pin sheared off! I ended up using a cold chisel and hammer and have removed the device (plus some soot which probably accounts for the sound I thought was a bird). The genie itself is just coated in rust and I can't trust it with only one working hinge. I can't understand the rust as I was told the genie was made from the same steel as Grant back boilers and I remember my parent's Grant back boiler had no rust on even after they had it decommissioned after about 20 years of faithful service.

I've had no luck with trying to call the fitter who installed the genie in the first place as the number is no longer in service....but given what has happened with kkhurler above I have little hope in getting a satisfactory resolution to my problem despite being told that I had a free extended 5 year warranty (for which I have no paperwork for, so how do I prove I have it, who are the underwriters of the warranty, etc?).

End of what at first appeared to be a good solution to an annoying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kkhurler

Francis, was eventually true to his word and issued full refund.

Advertisement