Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Aid July 13 1985

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

For those who can remember, LIVE AID is 28 years on tomorrow. Most agree that Queen and U2 shone through and stole the show. All bands had only 15 minutes to make their mark but there were so many other great performances at Wembley and Philadelphia. What do you think?

I recorded the lot on VHS (remember that technology) from noon to 4 am that sunday. The weather that weekend was like today. I had a moustache then and had it shaved off for the cause. My parents were on holidays so the party was at my house. another reason to never forget it

If you remember the day did you do anything special ? Who did you watch?
    etc

Its up to the attic tomorrow dust off those tapes and go "Rockin all over the
    World " once again. Db

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Paul Young & Bryan Ferry - two of the most underrated sets on that day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Boomtown Rats were great, even if they didn't play 'Banana Republic'.

It was a pity though, that Bruce Springsteen didn't come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

A lot of groups enhanced their profile's in appearing on that, money was raised in large amounts and were generously given by the public.The money ended up being wasted according to the BBC documentary by Gob Beldoff, insisting on handling it himself. Remember the Mercedes trucks he bought without gearboxes, they were shown on that program. He got his title though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

To all thanks for the reply. I know most have forgetten the event but it was a great day snapshot musically and in other ways. And also it was for such a great cause as well

Geldof in his notes for the day says the following

"Please remember this day all of your lives. Its important.
    Remember the dayyou wanted to help.
    Remember the bands and crews who did it. The professionals
    who made it an extraordinary technological feat.

Remember the dying who were allowed to live.
    Remember on the day you die there is someone alive in Africa 'cos one day you watched a pop concert

Remember your tears and your joy.
    Remember the love.

Remember on that day for once in our bloody lives WE WON.

Remember that even though it is over, it need not stop.
    Remember the dying goes on and remember so as time passes
    you can tell others "It's possible, I know'.

What a day, what a lovely day" Bob Geldof July 1985

For me so many great performances from Bowie , Clapton , Ferry even Madonna who was very nervous but made it count for her career,

De Bellem wrote: »
    To all thanks for the reply. I know most have forgetten the event but it was a great day snapshot musically and in other ways. And also it was for such a great cause as well

Geldof in his notes for the day says the following

"Please remember this day all of your lives. Its important.
    Remember the dayyou wanted to help.
    Remember the bands and crews who did it. The professionals
    who made it an extraordinary technological feat.

Remember the dying who were allowed to live.
    Remember on the day you die there is someone alive in Africa 'cos one day you watched a pop concert

Remember your tears and your joy.
    Remember the love.

Remember on that day for once in our bloody lives WE WON.

Remember that even though it is over, it need not stop.
    Remember the dying goes on and remember so as time passes
    you can tell others "It's possible, I know'.

What a day, what a lovely day" Bob Geldof July 1985

For me so many great performances from Bowie , Clapton , Ferry even Madonna who was very nervous but made it count for her career,

Remember his Knighthood, he would be delighted with that. What did he do with the scrap trucks in the desert.

• Advertisement

Its easy to be negative.

Its easy to be negative.

You are dead right, I agree, then it's easy to waste money when you haven't earned it, and get credit when it was not due.

Whats a waste of money? A global concert or is it the saving of lives you are on about.

Whats a waste of money? A global concert or is it the saving of lives you are on about.

I would like a breakdown of what was raised and how it was spent, I think that is a reasonable request. When you look at the tax returns that were exposed by the New York Times relating to the Boners charity little number, it was fairly shocking. Then in the US they investigate the likes of that.
    Get your hero to produce the accounts for Live Aid. It would put a lot of peoples minds at rest about charities. You should look up the expenses of the charity CEO's, they get the first crack at donations, after that the lessor minions get their cut, what is left for the child with the blue bottles crawling around its eyes and lips is minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

They say 85% of charitable fundraising income is spent on overheads (wages etc) !!!!

• Advertisement

This thread is mainly about the concert / music and secondly whether you
    like it or not it did save lives. The Irish nation raised more per capita than
    any other. Would you prefer nothing was done and so what if Geldof got or
    accepted a knighthood (honorarty at that ).
    Take a look at the bigger picture.

This thread is not about Bob Geldof but as you know he was one of its founders'

If you want to start a new thread on Live Aid's finances I am sure they are not hard to find on google . Start a new thread on that but please on this thread stick to the topic/ the memories and the concert

This thread is mainly about the concert / music and secondly whether you
    like it or not it did save lives. The Irish nation raised more per capita than
    any other. Would you prefer nothing was done and so what if Geldof got or
    accepted a knighthood (honorarty at that ).
    Take a look at the bigger picture.

This thread is not about Bob Geldof but as you know he was one of its founders'

If you want to start a new thread on Live Aid's finances I am sure they are not hard to find on google . Start a new thread on that but please on this thread stick to the topic/ the memories and the concert

The concert as you call it, was to raise money for starving people in third world countries. It turned out it was a career boost for starving musicians, too boost their careers. The public is entitled to know how the money was spent, not too have happy little dreams about how Gob saved the world.

Relevance to my original thread ?

Relevance to my original thread ?

Then leave out AID in your thread, it had nothing to with the hungry, just self enhancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stojkovic wrote: »
    They say 85% of charitable fundraising income is spent on overheads (wages etc) !!!!

There's that pesky 'they' again. Always up to divilment... Nobody's quite sure who 'they' are, but 'they' are always trotted out as the source of spurious statistics...

I remember hearing when the concert was announced OP. Heard it on the radio in the car in harolds cross, and aldo remember thinking 'bummer. Probably too young to go to London to see this'. I was 12 at the time. Brings me right back when I see clips.

I'm as prone to begrudgery and cynicism as the next man, but I clearly remember the overwhelming positive feelings on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was only a kid, but I remember watching Live Aid on the day, it was class. RTE concentrated on the fundraising, BBC concentrated on the music.

The day seemed to get bigger as it went on, everyone was watching it by the evening.

I really liked it when they sang Do They know it's Christmas, it was nice to have two Irishmen, Bob and Bono, centre stage at the biggest show on Earth.

There are two very good BBC documentaries on Youtube, one about the buildup to the event, and one about the day itself

Why/ Its called Live Aid, and your entitled to your opinion and me mine. You have yet to respond to my initial post about the bands
    and the day

endacl wrote: »
    There's that pesky 'they' again. Always up to divilment... Nobody's quite sure who 'they' are, but 'they' are always trotted out as the source of spurious statistics...

I remember hearing when the concert was announced OP. Heard it on the radio in the car in harolds cross, and aldo remember thinking 'bummer. Probably too young to go to London to see this'. I was 12 at the time. Brings me right back when I see clips.

I'm as prone to begrudgery and cynicism as the next man, but I clearly remember the overwhelming positive feelings on the day.

I am sure the little kids that Billy Connolly cried over on that night, with the blue bottles crawling on their mouths and eyes on the telly, and would have been a hell of a lot younger than you, did not see or hear the back slapping concert or heard the music would appreciate your feelings.

how do you know . whats your facts on that

I am sure the little kids that Billy Connolly cried over on that night, with the blue bottles crawling on their mouths and eyes on the telly, and would have been a hell of a lot younger than you, did not see or hear the back slapping concert or heard the music would appreciate your feelings.

And if this wasnt in the retro forum I'd talk about that. And most likely agree with a lot that you've said. But it's not. It's about nostalgia. I answered in the spirit of the OP's post. Why not try that? I was twelve at the time and not very cynical at all. Whatever hindsight may bring to criticism of the event, the event itself was pretty special to witness. I'll unload my grumbling elsewhere.

Get over yourself?

• Advertisement

Thanks Endacl for your memories of the day

Thanks SkidX also for your memories of the day

One other memory....?

I didn't know much about singing at the time, but I had a sneaking suspicion this would have been mortifying.... ;)

I forget about that . Phil Collins on piano with Sting hits a terrible bum note. I dont like the song " Against All Odds " but if you get a chance to see the clip of him at Live Aid he kinda prays for it to go well.......... and then there was ....Mick Jagger and Tina Turner. Need I say more. If you get a chance check it out . Its GREAT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I was a teenager back then,and can remember looking forward to this for weeks beforehand.
    We only had the 2 channels which showed very little music, so this was like a feast, having so much music in one day.

There was a great sense of unity and people coming together-through music-to make a difference.
    Granted,it was probably only a short term difference,but a great day none the less.

I remember we were all very pleased with ourselves that Ireland had donated more per capita than any other country.

One other memory....?

I didn't know much about singing at the time, but I had a sneaking suspicion this would have been mortifying.... ;)

Poor Simon.:o
    That's the thing about live tv,you win some,you lose some!

msthe80s wrote: »
    Poor Simon.:o
    That's the thing about live tv,you win some,you lose some!
    You only get one chance to lose on quite this big a scale though!

• Advertisement

You only get one chance to lose on quite this big a scale though!

Funnily,I cannot remember him screeching like that.....(and I'm a fantastic singer myself, so I'd know.:rolleyes:)
    I saw Duran Duran live in Dublin a few years later and they were fantastic-the ticket cost less than a tenner!

I wonder if you were to list all of the acts who performed at both (the major gigs not the smaller ones) concerts,and did a "where are they now?", how they'd fare?

Advertisement