Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

This is the case for me at the moment. Worringly so. I believe my mental health will seriously deteriorate to a point where it may be unrecoverable within this year.

I hope not. Whatever you do don't try to isolate yourself from others. I did that many times and it just made things so much worse in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I hope not. Whatever you do don't try to isolate yourself from others. I did that many times and it just made things so much worse in the long run.

Oh no it's already been like that a while. Don't want to see people because of circumstances. I could easily have reintegrated but now things are just very dire inside my mind. Well I should say around my fringe. Sometimes I think **** this whole dog and pony show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Oh no it's already been like that a while. Don't want to see people because of circumstances. I could easily have reintegrated but now things are just very dire inside my mind. Well I should say around my fringe. Sometimes I think **** this whole dog and pony show

Couldn't relate more to your last two posts.

Sometimes I think talking about this stuff actually makes me feel 10 times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Since I sent the letter to my doctor a few weeks ago, I haven't got a reply. So bit freaked about that. Not sure what it means. Now I want to go about a different issue and I'm scared to go in case she recognises me from my letter. ( I only gave my surname) I suppose it could take time to answer, or maybe she doesn't do letters. I don't know..:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

phi3 wrote: »
    Since I sent the letter to my doctor a few weeks ago, I haven't got a reply. So bit freaked about that. Not sure what it means. Now I want to go about a different issue and I'm scared to go in case she recognises me from my letter. ( I only gave my surname) I suppose it could take time to answer, or maybe she doesn't do letters. I don't know..:o

I'll hazard a guess and say the doc probably expected you to follow up with an appointment with them.. Not sure all surgeries can enter into phone/letter correspondence..

You've made a step though, don't be scared to go in.. Nothing ventured an all that.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I'll hazard a guess and say the doc probably expected you to follow up with an appointment with them.. Not sure all surgeries can enter into phone/letter correspondence..

You've made a step though, don't be scared to go in.. Nothing ventured an all that.. :o

Well in the letter I wanted to know if it's something they deal with before I make an appointment so I think it was clear I wanted an answer first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

phi3 wrote: »
    Well in the letter I wanted to know if it's something they deal with before I make an appointment so I think it was clear I wanted an answer first.

They'll have seen everything before. Don't worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not been doing so great. Hard to put the brave face all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Why do therapy sessions fly by & time between them drag?!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Been in therapy since I got out of hospital in March..But I just aint right... I have the skills but something just doesn't fit...Maybe the hole I am in is just to deep to get out... I don't think i will ever be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pro crastinator

dar926 wrote: »
    Been in therapy since I got out of hospital in March..But I just aint right... I have the skills but something just doesn't fit...Maybe the hole I am in is just to deep to get out... I don't think i will ever be right

Depression/anxiety robs you of the things you need to get yourself better and move on with your life - motivation, focus, determination and self-esteem. You'll get there, it'll just take some time. Small steps are better than no steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Depression/anxiety robs you of the things you need to get yourself better and move on with your life - motivation, focus, determination and self-esteem. You'll get there, it'll just take some time. Small steps are better than no steps.

Well said PC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Hersheys wrote: »
    Why do therapy sessions fly by & time between them drag?!
    because you depend too much on them? do not mean that in a judgemental way

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Ive had severe depression and anxiety ince i was 12 .Nearly 25 now.I dont know what it feels like to be happy.Im used to faking being happy.Its hard to matin the facade.I'm agoraphobic and rarely go out.I hate it so much.Ive tried pyschotherapy and counselling didnt work.Im on meds which takes the edge off but i dont think i will ever be happy.Ive had it for well over 12 years now.I doubt its going to get better.Im just tired of it all now.

LoveCoke wrote: »
    because you depend too much on them? do not mean that in a judgemental way
    Yeah. I guess it's something I need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

Went out for a walk today, it seems like everybody I passed was a couple. Made me feel very alone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Anybody else get severe feelings of depression, anxiety and paranoia during a hangover? :( Honestly never drinking again. Past two days I've been feeling almost suicidal due to all of the emotions that are consuming me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Went out for a walk today, it seems like everybody I passed was a couple. Made me feel very alone :(

This.

The good weather seems to be bringing out all the happy couples,painful to see when I feel so lonely and alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I keep seeing groups of people generally having the craic in the sun, all going wear round no t shirts and drinking and stuff. And I'm wearing long sleeves to cover the scars, and on my own, like always. I know its a self made situation, but :(

cloud493 wrote: »
    I keep seeing groups of people generally having the craic in the sun, all going wear round no t shirts and drinking and stuff. And I'm wearing long sleeves to cover the scars, and on my own, like always. I know its a self made situation, but :(

I know that feeling :( my legs are shredded

• Advertisement

Anybody else get severe feelings of depression, anxiety and paranoia during a hangover? :( Honestly never drinking again. Past two days I've been feeling almost suicidal due to all of the emotions that are consuming me.

Yep! Don't drink anymore as "the fear" turns into "the deep dark pit of self loathing" when I'm having an episode. Would you try some meditation? Sounds very foreign and exotic I know, but I find mindfulness really helps me.

Basically it's bringing your focus into the present moment, which takes you out of your head and away from the nasty things going on in there. Sounds simple but it works.

Some info: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2013/how-mindfulness-can-mitigate-the-cognitive-symptoms-of-depression/

I've been working through this program and it definitely helps when I remember/have the motivation to do it! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mindful-Way-Through-Depression/dp/1593851286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373272754&sr=8-1&keywords=mindful+way+through+depression

**** POTENTIAL TRIGGERS DON'T READ IF VULNERABLE ****

Having a bad day today. The nihilism is back. Finding it hard to concentrate on everyday things coz they all seem so pointless and worthless. Is depression really an illness? Or are we just seeing the world as it REALLY is and the REST of the world is in denial?

If I don't manage to get some meaning in my life soon I won't be able to go on. Existence in this current state is torture. Like an animal in a tiny cage. I'm smart, capable and dedicated, is it so much to ask that I can get work in the field I've studied and make a meaningful contribution to the world? Or am I doomed to placate the plebs while they shout their petty little grievances at me forever more? I want to tell them to shut the **** up so bad. Shut up and go home and hug your families, there are more important things in life.

I'm so tired of existing, not living. I keep going for others, not myself. I secretly wish that people would stop caring about me so that I could quit this miserable life and not hurt anyone. But they do, so I can't. If only I could find some hope. Every path I wish to travel is closed to me, where else can I find hope?

Having a bad day today. The nihilism is back. Finding it hard to concentrate on everyday things coz they all seem so pointless and worthless. Is depression really an illness? Or are we just seeing the world as it REALLY is and the REST of the world is in denial?

If I don't manage to get some meaning in my life soon I won't be able to go on. Existence in this current state is torture. Like an animal in a tiny cage. I'm smart, capable and dedicated, is it so much to ask that I can get work in the field I've studied and make a meaningful contribution to the world? Or am I doomed to placate the plebs while they shout their petty little grievances at me forever more? I want to tell them to shut the **** up so bad. Shut up and go home and hug your families, there are more important things in life.

I'm so tired of existing, not living. I keep going for others, not myself. I secretly wish that people would stop caring about me so that I could quit this miserable life and not hurt anyone. But they do, so I can't. If only I could find some hope. Every path I wish to travel is closed to me, where else can I find hope?

It's weird, I'm an absolute nihilist and feel there's no meaning to neither my life nor anybody's lives, but at the same time am somewhat content with that fact.

did you ever watch woody allen? he is a bit like that, nihilistic i mean as far as i understand him and nihilism

It's weird, I'm an absolute nihilist and feel there's no meaning to neither my life nor anybody's lives, but at the same time am somewhat content with that fact.

I wish I could be. I'm at the activated stage of treatment where I've regained my desire to achieve goals, but can't overcome the obstacles life has put in front of me - recession, mental illness, no financial resources etc. Sometimes I think I was better off without the medication, blanketed in apathy. Numbness is much more bearable than the deep hurt I feel right now.
    LoveCoke wrote: »
    did you ever watch woody allen? he is a bit like that, nihilistic i mean as far as i understand him and nihilism

I didn't but I have him noted in my head to watch. Sometime I'm not so low I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's hypoglycaemia. Honestly, you just need sugar!

You know when you're back home after an evening on the lash and you're supposed to drink some water? Have the water, but also have a couple of chocolate bars or a can or two of coke. Will take 75% of the hangover-related anxiety away.

banquo wrote: »

You know when you're back home after an evening on the lash and you're supposed to drink some water? Have the water, but also have a couple of chocolate bars or a can or two of coke. Will take 75% of the hangover-related anxiety away.

Either that, or my chronic OCD. :P

Cheers for the advice regardless.

banquo wrote: »

i doubt that not always anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Can't be arsed living (and thats being generous) like this much longer.I have two long ago arranged commitments coming up over the next few weeks and after that I think I'm done.

I always think of the old Doug Stanhope bit when I'm this down,and it keeps on making more and more sense to me:

''Suicide is another thing that's so frowned upon in this society, but honestly, life isn't for everybody. It really isn't. It's sad when kids kill themselves 'cause they didn't really give it a chance, but life is like a movie: if you've sat through more than half of it and it sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the very end for you and make it all worthwhile. No one should blame you for walking out early.''

• Advertisement

Can't be arsed living (and thats being generous) like this much longer.I have two long ago arranged commitments coming up over the next few weeks and after that I think I'm done.

I always think of the old Doug Stanhope bit when I'm this down,and it keeps on making more and more sense to me:

''Suicide is another thing that's so frowned upon in this society, but honestly, life isn't for everybody. It really isn't. It's sad when kids kill themselves 'cause they didn't really give it a chance, but life is like a movie: if you've sat through more than half of it and it sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the very end for you and make it all worthwhile. No one should blame you for walking out early.''

Yep, feeling the very same at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement