Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS II (White Box) €134.88

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Very tempted by this. Reviews seem very good for it. Have you used digitalrev before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

lindtee wrote: »
    Very tempted by this. Reviews seem very good for it. Have you used digitalrev before?

just bought this today. its a great deal compared to the 70-300 non IS lense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Had this lens for years. Really good lens and IS is great. Actually sold it recently for almost that price so this is a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

just bought this today. its a great deal compared to the 70-300 non IS lense

Can anyone explain (in simple terms) , the practical difference between IS and non-IS?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain (in simple terms) , the practical difference between IS and non-IS?

Thanks

IS has a motor that stabalises the lens. If you zoom in on a distant object you will notice a lot of shaking. With IS when you half press the button you will notice signifigantly less shaking as the motor compensates.

It's that or magic anyway.

• Advertisement

Are digitalrev based in Hong Kong? Would items be liable for customs and vat then and handling charge? Simplyelectronics have this lens for €115.95, they are also based in HongKong though and reviews are not positive for the company.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Its a nice lens. I have had mine for about a year now, and although its not an everyday lens, its nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Possible dumb question, but can someone confirm if this is compatible with a Canon EOS 500D?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Excellent offer.
    You could buy it and sell at a profit in adverts next week!

Nice bit of range on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bit of the too good to be true coming to mind though. Who are digitalrev?

EDIT: http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/camera-company-digitalrev-busted-selling-used-cameras-sold-as-new-online/story-fn5lic6c-1226580348144

also seems they are in HK so I think I would give it a skip as customs would love it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

LeperKing wrote: »
    Possible dumb question, but can someone confirm if this is compatible with a Canon EOS 500D?

Thanks,
    LK.

Thumbs-up-montage.gif

TheDriver wrote: »
    bit of the too good to be true coming to mind though. Who are digitalrev?

EDIT: http://www.news.com.au/technology/biztech/camera-company-digitalrev-busted-selling-used-cameras-sold-as-new-online/story-fn5lic6c-1226580348144

also seems they are in HK so I think I would give it a skip as customs would love it....

Digital rev are very well known in the photography world. They also have a YT channel. You should not get hit by customs when buying from them.

Is it worth paying the €20 from to get the lens from Digitalrev over Simply Electronics? Good service seems very hit and miss from the latter but is it worth the risk for the saving?

lindtee wrote: »
    Is it worth paying the €20 from to get the lens from Digitalrev over Simply Electronics? Good service seems very hit and miss from the latter but is it worth the risk for the saving?

DR is also local warranty. have bought from SE without issue but never had to send anything back to hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

kceire wrote: »
    You should not get hit by customs when buying from them.

They are from outside the EU and over the threshold so I would think customs would be keeping a close eye for these things

TheDriver wrote: »
    They are from outside the EU and over the threshold so I would think customs would be keeping a close eye for these things

I've bought close to 3k worth of camera gear from them and simply electronics, both based in HK, and haven't once been hit for customs yet (touch wood). It's got to do with the way they dispatch the items, they are shipped to their UK warehouse and re-distributed from there AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kceire wrote: »
    I've bought close to 3k worth of camera gear from them and simply electronics, both based in HK, and haven't once been hit for customs yet (touch wood). It's got to do with the way they dispatch the items, they are shipped to their UK warehouse and re-distributed from there AFAIK.

where do you live again? :D

Ballygobackwards...its outside the EU :D

Clue is in my profile ;)
    Not all for me, 3 mates have bought cameras recently, and I done the shopping, and when they needed lens, I got them too. I bought my own 550d and 28mm F1.8 from simply electronics as the pricing was better at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

it's cheaper again from simplyelectronics.com

• Advertisement

McG wrote: »
    it's cheaper again from simplyelectronics.com

just an update I ended up cancelling not realising it was HK and liable to duties.
    bought today from Flubit for £151. I assume from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just bought this with simplyelectronics. I'll post back here to report to let you know how I've gotten on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

just an update I ended up cancelling not realising it was HK and liable to duties.

I ordered it from simply for €115. Got a much more expensive wide angle from them last year and didn't get charged any extra fro customs/duty so for that price thought it worth a pop. Even if I end up pay for customs it should still be a good bit cheaper than £151

McG wrote: »
    I ordered it from simply for €115. Got a much more expensive wide angle from them last year and didn't get charged any extra fro customs/duty so for that price thought it worth a pop. Even if I end up pay for customs it should still be a good bit cheaper than £151

I wanted the ease of return if there is a problem.
    have bought from SE before without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No duty, they cover that.
    No Import Tax/Duty to Pay: Any import tax/duty charged will be billed directly us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Ordered on Monday last week and just arrived today. I have yet to see it though as it was received and signed for on my behalf by someone at home. I managed to avoid paying customs charges. The shipping was from Hong Kong to Cork with DHL.

ViCCEcm.jpg

Advertisement