Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Emblem: Kakusei (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    As per what some reviewers have said...I wonder if it's really worth getting a 3DS just to play this game?
    FE isn't for everyone. Maybe try one of the GBA titles on an emulator to see if you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Demo on eshop 28th march

I see from the Nintendo site they're really pushing the new Pair Up and revamped Support features.

I hope the pair up is balanced because if, say, you can get a Knight to defend for a Mage every turn you've got a fairly broken mechanic there. I'm sure it's not that simple but I'm wary of looking at the US forums lest I unleash spoilers!

The more transparent support system is a real winner. In earlier iterations you had to leave 2 units side-by-side for up to 20 turns in order to get a dialogue option which then, unbeknownst to the player, increased stats when they were near each other! The GC/Wii games let you do this back at base camp but it was still all fairly obtuse.

This is out on friday.

Gamestop's website are asking for €55! are they taking the piss?

€40 at smyths

Eurogamer review 10/10 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-15-fire-emblem-awakening-review

Another review obsessed with the perma-death element! I really don't see what the big deal is about this feature. It used to be referred to in one line in reviews of the previous games in the series.

One of the DS remakes (I think Shadow Dragon) had the ability to switch off perma-death so this isn't the first game in the series to feature this option although the reviews seem to think it is.

Anyway another glowing review which is great. I amazed at how much mainstream attention this game is getting. It's probably just lucky timing as the 3DS desperately needs a good RPG. (Although the Wii game, Radiant Dawn, came at a time when that console was crying out for anything that wasn't shovelware and it was universally ignored)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

ShaneU wrote: »
    This is out on friday.

Gamestop's website are asking for €55! are they taking the piss?

€40 at smyths

Eurogamer review 10/10 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-15-fire-emblem-awakening-review

Spied that Smyths price a few days ago too. Not showing on their website now! Has anyone picked it up from them today?

Also, Gamestop are selling it for €44.99 (in store)... It's €39.99 on their website. I presume it's slightly more with postage.

Gamestop postage is a flat €2 I think.

Edge review here:
    http://www.edge-online.com/review/fire-emblem-awakening-review/

It encourages the use of your "tank" character early on, I would not recommend this unless you are playing on Hard etc. Every FE game you begin with 1 overpowered character and several weak ones. If you use the former you are only wasting much-needed EXP. The tank usually one-shots any early enemy netting feck all EXP where as if you use your weaker guys they may take two goes to take down an enemy but they'll probably level up every second one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems this game is going to be as hard to find as it was in the US. My advice is to pick it up today. I had to cancel my order for the US version with playasia because after 3 months it stil hasn't been restocked and going to try my luck on ebay. Didn't realise it takes 10 working days to get the money back :/ It would be cuelly ironic if they got it back in stock during that time.

Good advice. The GC and Wii Fire Emblems were impossible to find a few months after release.

But then again this is the first FE I;ve seen advertised on TV, surely they've sufficient stocks if they're going to run an expensive ad campaign?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The TV advert was shown in the US as well as far as I know. I've heard that nintendo were hoping that if they keep the stock low they would sell more digital copies but not sure the truth behind it.

A friend of mine got the last copy in Galway, they only had 3 copies in so I think that is more telling of how bad the stock problems are and I'm having woeful troubles myself with getting a US copy and no sign of a restock 3 months later.

• Advertisement

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    Spied that Smyths price a few days ago too. Not showing on their website now! Has anyone picked it up from them today?

Also, Gamestop are selling it for €44.99 (in store)... It's €39.99 on their website. I presume it's slightly more with postage.
    Seen in another thread that smyths decided not to stock it. Seems like GameStop are the only option for B&M

ShaneU wrote: »
    Seen in another thread that smyths decided not to stock it. Seems like GameStop are the only option for B&M

You can see from the cached page HERE on their site that they did have it at €39.99 but now it's just a blank page with product unavailable.

I have a €10 off voucher for Smyths and all :mad:

Digital version is €44.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Picked it up in Gamestop for €44.99.

They only had 3 copies...

I really hope this (like the Monster Hunter 'shortages') isn't a ploy to get more people downloading it instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Saw this in Tesco yesterday for 39.99 and just assumed it would be everywhere if Tesco had it :( I was only half considering getting it but all the great reviews and the Nintendo So Many Games promotion have pushed me over the edge into "I WANT" land.

Fingers crossed its still there next week on payday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

RedXIV wrote: »
    Saw this in Tesco yesterday for 39.99 and just assumed it would be everywhere if Tesco had it :( I was only half considering getting it but all the great reviews and the Nintendo So Many Games promotion have pushed me over the edge into "I WANT" land.

Fingers crossed its still there next week on payday :pac:

Saw one in my local tesco for €45, last copy and a big space where Luigis Mansion was, probably not gonna be any better anytime soon after the "So Many Games" promo Nintendo is running.

Finally getting around to playing this and it hasn't disappointed. The amount of optional grinding that is open to you is staggering. Side quests, skirmishes ala Sacred Stones, challenging armies from previous games, DLC maps..... Makes playing on hard a lot more bearable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

penev10 wrote: »
    Finally getting around to playing this and it hasn't disappointed. The amount of optional grinding that is open to you is staggering. Side quests, skirmishes ala Sacred Stones, challenging armies from previous games, DLC maps..... Makes playing on hard a lot more bearable.

I really want to play this game and I'm considering buying a 3DS just to play it :eek:

I really want to play this game and I'm considering buying a 3DS just to play it :eek:
    It's definitely living up to the hype so far. The pairing system is good but the improved support relationship aspect really makes it. It just seems a bit too easy to get support to S level. I already have 1 S level and 2 A level pairing on Chapter 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

is there a emulator for 3ds now?

Advertisement