Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS that support Irish (ITM)

Options
  • 20-06-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm looking for a gps unit for around 100 euro that specifically supports Irish (ITM) as a grid format.

Anyone got any info??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Outdoor GPS, or "Satnav"? All the current Garmin outdoor range support ITM as well as Irish Grid, but most Satnav's (i.e. nuvi's) as far as I know only support lat / lon.

BTW what do you need ITM for? All outdoor maps from OSi and also 3rd party providers still use the older Irish Grid (IG) coordinate system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 insomnia087

I need it beacuse I'm going field mapping and the mapping software, mapGenie which I'm using to prodcue field maps etc only supports ITM :confused:, so it makes everything much easier if i can just record gps co-ords of outcrops etc in ITM and then mark them on a ITM gridded map,

Does the Garmin etrex 10 support ITM?

About the only people using ITM at the moment are professional surveyors, and of course the OSi themselves (!), as far as I know. There is a reason for this, namely that it's a better match mathematically speaking with the native coordinate system that GPS uses, namely WGS84, and conversions from one to the other are therefore easier and more accurate.

Actually thinking about it, assuming you can import GPX files into mapGenie, it's largely irrelevant what coordinate system you use as GPX waypoints are always recorded in WGS84 lat/lon. No need to go transposing coords from the GPS display and writing them down and then entering them again manually into the software (potentially making mistakes on the way) when you can just record a waypoint on the GPS and download the data later.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I need it beacuse I'm going field mapping and the mapping software, mapGenie which I'm using to prodcue field maps etc only supports ITM :confused:, so it makes everything much easier if i can just record gps co-ords of outcrops etc in ITM and then mark them on a ITM gridded map,

Does the Garmin etrex 10 support ITM?
    Does it have Irish Grid? if it does, then it does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement