Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai report more money missing..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Quick,someone call the guards...Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They are something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

charlemont wrote: »
    They are something else.

Ireland's Finest, Thin Blue Line etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Do you think it could be due to the pay cuts? Not an excuse, but maybe a reason this keeps happening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

grizzly wrote: »
    Do you think it could be due to the pay cuts? Not an excuse, but maybe a reason this keeps happening.

I knew we could blame this on the recession somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Que someone saying that's the guards for you.
    Que someone getting back in response saying how the guards are such morally upstanding people.

Reality is members of the Gardai are just regular people.... some decent, some pricks. Is it shocking that this money went missing? hell no. Let's just call a spade a spade here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

We know about it.

Celebrate the transparency and let's hope the good cops progress from it.

In many places we would never have even known.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Said I to the Duchess one night "Sure fock it, we'll chonce it"
    I'd say the same if I seen 27G's sitting in front of me, waiting to be whipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

You wonder what happens to all that weed worth several hundred thousands euros disappear to after getting confiscated.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

Nice little earner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

do we know the 'street value' of the cash yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Your street or my street!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's like the film 'Brooklyn's Finest'

The auld Gardaí need the extra cash to get their house insulated for the newborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The 27k had a street value of up to 60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Its grand, sure the money is back in the economy now, better than it gathering dust in an evidence room.

It wasn't even given a fair trial, just locked away in a cop shop to rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Era, it's probably just out enjoying the sun. It'll be home in a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

That's life when you recruit from the general public, you will always get a percentage of bad apples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

That's life when you recruit from the general public, you will always get a percentage of bad apples

Ah stop, there is corruption in the Gardaí right up to senior levels. The "bad apples" excuse sickens my hole. Same bull with the Catholic Church. If there are "bad apples" it is up to the organisation in question to root them out, expose them and put processes in place to ensure there are less bad apples in the future. However the Gardaí (and the Church) when exposed to criticism or corruption accusations circle the wagons, close up shop, hide information (even from their own ombudsman) and protect each other to the bitter end. This often means attacking the people questioning their actions. For example - Claire Daly a TD was arrested and handcuffed and placed in a cell for nothing.

I think the Gardaí force is corrupt and needs to be reformed. We need a lot more transparency. They are becoming a law to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I wonder who copped it.

• Advertisement

Birroc wrote: »

I think the Gardaí force is corrupt and needs to be reformed. We need a lot more transparency. They are becoming a law to themselves.

How do you suggest they recruit over 13,000 Gardai without getting a single individual who might be ever tempted to steal?

• Site Banned Posts: 10 cook_my_sock

Pj! wrote: »
    How do you suggest they recruit over 13,000 Gardai without getting a single individual who might be ever tempted to steal?

the poster was referring to systematic corruption , not this isolated case

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's not about the money, money, money
    We don't need your money, money, money
    We just wanna make the world dance
    Forget about the price tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' take the money and run , buy yourself a place in the sun , don't be a fool don't you trust anyone , you gotta learn that lesson my son ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Simple, change the culture to show accountability. Zero tolerance.
    Investigate complaints quickly and ruthlessly. Fire people who have done wrong or cant do their job. Expose and jail those Gardai who broke the law.
    This makes sure everyone is aware of the repercussions of crossing the line.
    From the top down. The culture among the Gardaí right now stinks and only encourages rule breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

They will have to put it on Crimeline and ask for public assistance !

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Its not the few bad apples, the whole barrel is rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

They will have to put it on Crimeline and ask for public assistance !

"The search is of a number of units used by gardaí for the storage of investigation exhibits"

lol

i think maybe someone should tell them the money is gone like..................:pac:

Birroc wrote: »
    Simple, change the culture to show accountability. Zero tolerance.
    Investigate complaints quickly and ruthlessly. Fire people who have done wrong or cant do their job. Expose and jail those Gardai who broke the law.
    This makes sure everyone is aware of the repercussions of crossing the line.

From the top down. The culture among the Gardaí right now stinks and only encourages rule breakers.

Agree entirely with the bolded part, everyone does. But it will be no surprise to me to see somebody exposed for the theft, provided that somebody is discovered.
    They obviously need to change the current system for storing money.

I wouldn't agree that the current culture encourages rule breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Agree entirely with the bolded part, everyone does. But it will be no surprise to me to see somebody exposed for the theft, provided that somebody is discovered.
    They obviously need to change the current system for storing money.

I wouldn't agree that the current culture encourages rule breakers.

They certainly aren't being discouraging it, the current garda culture is 'I was looking the other way' or keep it quiet as we've seen in recent court cases, you could only imagine the treatment a garda would get if he was to do the right thing and report a rogue colleague which in a way does encourage rule breaking because they know they can get away with it.

Advertisement