Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking oil??

Options
  • 05-06-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

The shop I work has had sunflower oil on special the last few days and we can't keep it stocked, it's selling out about 2 mins after it hits the shelves.

That's not what has me here, it's the customers who are buying it, they are buying 200-300 bottles at anyone time and all are African, I'm very curious to what they could be using it for, anyone got any ideas?

This has me stumped and I don't want to ask the customers, I thought it may be to put in a homeheating oil tank, but would that even work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Racist! Rabble rabble!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Kichote

They are running the car off it (diesel)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Feckin' Greeks! Taking our jobs and our cooking oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Kichote wrote: »

Does the car not have to be modified for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Makes you tan/burn quicker. .. are you sure they are mostly African and not just very tanned Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

joe stodge wrote: »

I don't want to ask the customers,

Why not? That might be the easiest way to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Could they be selling it in their own shop as they can get it cheaper from ye that from their own wholesaler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

How cheap is it? Could be some local businesses spotted that you are selling cheaper than their regular wholesalers?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Makes you tan/burn quicker. .. are you sure they are mostly Nigerian?

OP said African ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

joe stodge wrote: »
    Does the car not have to be modified for that?

Direct injection (more modern) diesel engines wont run on it/it will make sh1te of them without a good bit of modding.

Older stuff generally <2000 (Indirect injection) will run grand on it though if its mixed with normal diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Chucken wrote: »
    OP said African ;)

I edited! Damm you for being too quick :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Kichote wrote: »

Tescos up north raised the price of their cooking oil to the same as diesel a few years ago, for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

cooking for a very very big family :pac:

in all seriousness, I don't know what they are using it for, just ask them.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

lau1247 wrote: »
    cooking for a very very big family :pac:

in all seriousness, I don't know what they are using it for, just ask them.

they will start screaming racism:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

They are using for cooking. i have a lot of african friends and they use oil a lot in their cooking.

my guess is that some of them are buying these for their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Slip'n'slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why don't you put the price up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What kind of shop is it that they can buy 200-300 bottles at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

rubadub wrote: »
    Why don't you put the price up?

Or introduce a quota. No more than 10 bottles per transaction or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I know some restaurants buy the cheap bottles of beer and sell them because its cheaper to buy than from a wholesaler, maybe the African guy has a restaurant and its cheaper to buy oil there than off an whole seller.

Honey-ec wrote: »

Why though?

When olive oil goes on offer in Lidl, I buy at least 50 bottles (for cooking)
    Does it really matter why people buy in bulk?

Why though?

Well I can't speak for the OP's shop or Lidl, but Aldi have a written policy that their products and prices are for the general public and not for commercial use, and that if they suspect someone is buying in bulk for commercial purposes, they reserve the right to refuse to sell to them.

To me, someone buying two or three hundred bottles of cooking oil at a time would definitely arouse my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Quotas are normally only useful if shops are below cost selling, or stop ticket touts. The shopkeeper should be grateful of having to have less transactions. But if its selling out so quick they will presumably still buy it if its a bit more.

I met the Chinese guy from the local takeaway in tesco before with a trolley full of oil & onions, and cider! I see the cooks drinking it in the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Why though?

Special offers are there to help attract customers and get them into their stores. If people abuse it and buy in bulk, it negates the whole rational behind special offers and promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Sunflower Oil is used when making carrot cake, and the Africans just love carrot cake.

They're also partial to pavlova.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Ill bet you had a steep increase in chicken sales around the same time.

rubadub wrote: »
    Quotas are normally only useful if shops are below cost selling, or stop ticket touts. The shopkeeper should be grateful of having to have less transactions. But if its selling out so quick they will presumably still buy it if its a bit more.

It becomes a problem when supply gets to be an issue. The shopkeeper can't keep cooking oil in stock because of these people bulk-buying. It's happening in other stores too, so there's delays in getting new stock from the depot. In the meantime his regular customers are getting pissed off because they've popped in for a couple of days in a row to get a bottle of cooking oil, and it's out of stock. This happens often enough, they'll eventually just shop elsewhere. After a while, the special offer on the oil ends and the bulk-buyers disappear, but the shopkeeper has lost a rake of regular customers for good.

It can and does happen and it's why a lot of retailers don't allow bulk buying. They're just not designed for that kind of business, their stocking system is based on a pattern of normal usage & normal buying. Obviously they know that a special offer is going to create a run on that item, that's the whole point of special offers, but people buying 200-300 bottles of cooking oil at a time is a completely different kettle of fish. That's cash & carry volumes.

Special offers are there to help attract customers and get them into their stores. If people abuse it and buy in bulk, it negates the whole rational behind special offers and promotions.

I dont think thats quite true for Aldi /Lidl. They regularly have offers for 1 day..when they're gone, they're gone!
    The early bird etc...if I'm going to make sure I'm at the shop early to avail of the offer, I'm not too concerned about who arrives the next day complaining that they missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Why though?

Jaysus you must do some cooking :eek:, i don't do a whole lot myself, but 2 bottles a year would do me!!!!

Advertisement