Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Diesel estate.

Options
  • 02-06-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of changing from a saloon to an estate as I am sick of hitching up and dragging around a dog box. Something from about 2000-2007 as I am on a budget. What should I go for? What should I avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What's the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

I bought a 2005 mondeo estate about 6 weeks ago, I have to say its a great load lugger, I've 2 dogs also and its handy for them to hop in and out of. practically the car meets all my needs, and i'm getting on average 43mpg in an auto so I can imagine the manual does a good but more.
    comfortably someone can sit behind me in it and i'm 6ft 2 so have the seat right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What's the budget?

In and around three grand, but I would go a bit above that for the right car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

patrickc wrote: »
    I bought a 2005 mondeo estate about 6 weeks ago, I have to say its a great load lugger, I've 2 dogs also and its handy for them to hop in and out of. practically the car meets all my needs, and i'm getting on average 43mpg in an auto so I can imagine the manual does a good but more.
    comfortably someone can sit behind me in it and i'm 6ft 2 so have the seat right back.

I hired one of those a few yrs back when we went to a wedding in Duns in Scotland, my wife and the other couple travelling with us joked about how it resembled a hearse (It was black) but by God it had some bloody room in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i bought a 2003 Bmw 525d estate a few weeks back and il love it , loads of room (im 6ft 5) is comfortable economincal and nice to drive full cream leather interior all for a little over 2k euro

20130523_210849_zpsd16d2f24.jpg

20130523_211003_zps862a212f.jpg

20130523_211022_zps0e26c7e6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

fantastic looking car SpannerMonkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

@ SpannerMonkey --- SNAP!!

I have mine over 5 years though. Just washed & waxed it yesterday.

2qteaab.jpg

5mwkg5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I was genuinely about to recommend a 5 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

them 5 series are horrible ugly cars without the mtec kit and wheels imo.
    try get the 3litre diesel engine if u can if a 5 series much more powerful and refined

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

try get the 3litre diesel engine if u can if a 5 series much more powerful and refined

To be honest I personally think the 5 series looks/is nicer in non M sport (SE etc). I love the two that have been posted up - especially the first one with the light coloured interior.

In terms of what to avoid - id personally avoid the Mazda 6 diesel - too many reports of big issues with these for my liking.

Id consider a 406 HDi if you could find a good one - other then that - you've got the Passat, Octavia and Avensis to consider.

but if your using it to simply transport dogs - that suggests that your not going to do big miles in it - so id also consider petrol estates as well - increases the choice available - and irrespective of miles you will be doing - a petrol estate in immaculate condition is better then a diesel that's wrecked.

It also opens up more cars - in petrol form a Mazda 6 might be worth consideration wheras in diesel form - youd be running away as fast as you can go. And then theres the Subaru Legacy - potentially a very good decent car - but no diesels in the age and price bracket your working with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Those e39s are ageing perfectly imo, what a beautiful beast!

I think I will have to own an e39 at one stage in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what's tax on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

if you fancy importing from UK, some great deals on ford focus/mondeo estates over there. You would possibly even get a 2008+ for good money. I know someone that brought in a 2009 focus estate diesel for 4k plus the vrt. Think it was an ex met police car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

snaps wrote: »
    what's tax on one?
    Same as any other 2.9-3.0 range :confused:

€1494.00 - I just paid this for my 535 for the year the other weekend so it is the correct rate!

have you owned one?

im on my 9th bmw and TBH ive had the 3 litre diesel in a 330d and a 530d before and the 2.5 is more refined if anything , could be just the car but this is a very smooth engine as for looks i kinda agree to a certain extent in that i do prefer the M-sport kit on them but the Se trim in this looks so original i quite like it .

and the power difference <30bhp or the same with a remap is not worth 400-500 a year more on tax for me .
    especially when i am paying €1800+ on my other car a Bmw 645ci

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Also consider the grand daddy of estates - the Volvo V70.

true volvo make great estates .
    other option is the Audi Avants

Advertisement