Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abs anti snap euro cylinders

Options
  • 01-06-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Just wondering if anyone can point me to where is the cheapest for a pair of the above locks? Online or bricks and mortar will do, I tried a local locksmith who wanted 70 each supplied which seems on the high side
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could try MILA in Kilbarrack Ind Estate,Dublin 13.

http://www.mila.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

Why not have a look at the Cisa Astral S.
    Nice secure lock and you will find no youtube videos of guys picking it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why not have a look at the Cisa Astral S.
    Nice secure lock and you will find no youtube videos of guys picking it open.

Slow but anyway:

gctest50 wrote: »
    Slow but anyway:

I love his very last words.....

"Allways keep practicing"......:pac::pac::D

If you watch that video carefully.As in the position of the pick while picking.He is picking the 6 pins in the main stack but i can not see him picking the 4 side pins.Would believe they are not there .Total of 10 pins in this lock compared to 5 pins in most standard locks.As a working locksmith i have yet to see any burglar get thru a Astral S lock.Do not rate the abs cylinder myself and would not use it on my own house.

• Advertisement

If you watch that video carefully.As in the position of the pick while picking.He is picking the 6 pins in the main stack but i can not see him picking the 4 side pins.Would believe they are not there .Total of 10 pins in this lock compared to 5 pins in most standard locks.As a working locksmith i have yet to see any burglar get thru a Astral S lock.Do not rate the abs cylinder myself and would not use it on my own house.

How much is a Cisa Astral S lock?

Who stocks them?

Thanks.

Hi Around 50 euro each.Can be made up keyed alike.So one key operates the whole house

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Mr Locksmith:

You to rate the Cisa Astral S very highly and don't rate the ABS at all. I am seeing nothing but good things about the ABS so why specifically do you not rate it? I am getting new locks myself and i am set on the ABS MkIII.

Are you referring to markII or markII ABS?

From quickly researching the Cisa i can see that it is an older lock that the ABS.

ABS has reached the highest ratings in the UK. Both TS007 3 STAR rating and SS 312 Sold Secure Diamond accreditations.

I far as i can see the Cisa Astral S does not have the SS 312 Sold Secure Diamond accreditation.

Here is a quote from one web based locksmith.

"Other supposed anti snap locks have features that offer absoloutely no real resistance again common lock snapping methods. For example we tested the Cisa Astral S sold by others sites as a "reliable and effective solution" to combat lock snapping, and in a standard door in normal operation with nothing more than mole grips and a screw driver, the lock failed in less than 40 seconds! We think this lock would only stop a burglar for 5 seconds more than a standard lock! "

Seems the Astral S has a laminate core which helps as protection against snapping but obviously does not offer complete protection to snapping. The ABS blocks access to the lock inner when snapped.

So surely they are both good locks and offer good protection but i cannot see how you can rate the Cisa so highly yet completely disregard the ABS?

The Cisa has ten pin pick protection but in reality this would not be the most common form of entry for burglaries?

Hi - Lots of info in that. Been a locksmith since 1985 and I have read what you have posted.
    If 2 customers called me tonight both locked out of their houses .One has an ABS lock the other has an Astral S lock both properly fitted. The conversation would go like this- ABS lock yes no problem I will get you in but will have to destroy your lock. Time about 15 minutes. On the Astral S I would be looking to see if I could force a window open or remove a glass pane. I have made tools that let me open the ABS after snapping. As of yet I have nothing to get the Astral S open.
    This is only my opinion.Both are good locks and both will prevent your home being broken into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could try MILA in Kilbarrack Ind Estate,Dublin 13.

http://www.mila.ie/

I was intouch with these today and the dont sell ABS, looks like buying online from the uk is the easiest option to pick up a pair reasonably priced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Hi - Lots of info in that. Been a locksmith since 1985 and I have read what you have posted.
    If 2 customers called me tonight both locked out of their houses .One has an ABS lock the other has an Astral S lock both properly fitted. The conversation would go like this- ABS lock yes no problem I will get you in but will have to destroy your lock. Time about 15 minutes. On the Astral S I would be looking to see if I could force a window open or remove a glass pane. I have made tools that let me open the ABS after snapping. As of yet I have nothing to get the Astral S open.
    This is only my opinion.Both are good locks and both will prevent your home being broken into.

Keep meaning to replace my euro cylinders, where can the Astral S be gotten? At 50 a pop, I'd prefer to put a better lock on the back first than both at the same time.

Advertisement