Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you really love someone

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think so, but then trying to iron out the aftermath afterwards is the tricky part, innit? You get 50% of that sorted, and we've got ourselves a movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

patmac wrote: »
    There was a lot of alcohol involved but the next day we were together and have been since. She was going out with a lad for 6 years at the time. Just happened can't explain it, never happened before or since.

It's lust that grew into love over time then. You just think you fell in love looking back because you stayed together when the lust was gradually replaced by genuine feelings of love. You were probably none the wiser to the transition so can't differentiate between the two so it appears as love even though it's pretty much impossible to fall in love in only a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

There was a lot of alcohol involved but the next day we were together and have been since. She was going out with a lad for 6 years at the time. Just happened can't explain it, never happened before or since.

Personally, I think love is something that develops over a period of time. The more time you spend with someone, the more you grow together, become best friends etc. Life would be hard without that person in your life.
    I find it hard to believe that after one night or a week, you could love someone.
    Saying that and as was stated earlier, love is subjective so what you consider love is probably totally different to what I consider love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Uriel. wrote: »
    By the time you realise what love is and what you should do with it, you'll be dead.
    I want you to show me where you got those lyrics. I know it might take a little time, but I want to change this lonely life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I think you can be madly in lust, infatuation and a host of other emotions after such a short period of time but love? In my opinion, no. But who really knows, maybe it's possible. After all what is love? And isn't it subjective - what is love for me may not be love for the next person.

Baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me... no more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Fell in love with my missus on the first night and 19 years later still in love.
    What do you mean by 'love' though? Would you have married her on the spot? rescued her from a burning building? give up your vital organs for her, a few hours after meeting her?

(I'm using the typical/ Hollywood implications of love as the test; not saying all are universally necessary)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I want you to show me where you got those lyrics. I know it might take a little time, but I want to change this lonely life.

In before the Haddaway reference

Edit: Dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Did you just grab my ass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Specialun wrote: »
    This is deep for AH

I know!! I am not sure I can handle it. I might need to schedule an appointment with my therapist so he can help me deal with the anxiety attack that has come about as a result of this thread. What if I have never been in love?:eek: What if I will never be in love?:eek: Have I ever been loved?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fell in love with my missus on the first night and 19 years later still in love.

I'm in almost the same situation. Not exactly love at first sight, but within a couple of days - together 7 years now, just had a baby daughter - alls going well!
    I'm not in any way the romantic, love at first sight type so i was more surprised than anyone!

So to answer your question OP, yes of course you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was told by a intelligent old man once, before you get married its matrimony , but after a short time it turns to a matter of money (matterofmoney)

Uriel. wrote: »
    Did you just grab my ass?
    Are you old enough? Will you be ready when I call your bluff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

I was in love the missus after about 3 days. Told her after a week, she got freaked out and broke up with me. 10 years later....Im marrying her next year..boom boom, persistence home boy!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

LizT wrote: »
    Baby don't hurt me

Argh I was coming on to post that!!

/shakes fist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No. You can't hurry love. You just have to wait.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    No. You can't hurry love. You just have to wait.
    It don't come easy. It's a game of give and take.

Like tennis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

IK09 wrote: »
    I was in love the missus after about 3 days. Told her after a week, she got freaked out and broke up with me. 10 years later....Im marrying her next year..boom boom, persistence home boy!

Are you going to let her out of the basement after that or will she be rescued by a black man who kicks in your front door!??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I think people saying real love can only grow over time with someone are completely missing the point. Love is a feeling and that feeling can come upon someone any time. I could fall in love tonight and out of love tomorrow. If you get with someone and like them well enough and that bond grows and you realise you'd be lost without the person isn't necessarily love, although it could be, but a reliance and dependancy that has grown from mutual trust and care.

I'd be more inclined to say that those who fall quick fall harder, even though it probably won't work out because all the practical crap you need to actually live with someone may not be there, no matter how much you love someone. You could have a life with someone with all the practical stuff and no real love easier than all the love and none of the practicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

LizT wrote: »
    Baby don't hurt me

"woaaaaaaahohwoaaaaahowoaaaaah"

Damn it's stuck in my head now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Announcing sh*te like that on Facebook is for teenagers.

Any adult who starts spouting off with that nonsense on social media should be smacked around the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It don't come easy. It's a game of give and take.

Like tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

antodeco wrote: »
    Argh I was coming on to post that!!

/shakes fist

Mwhahahaha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Like tennis.

What would tennis players know? Love means nothing to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

You know less than a month?
    I ask because I know a girl getting married shortly, together two years (almost to the day they get married) and they were madly in love after about a week.

Now I see on Facebook another adult relationship pretty new, and they're "in love" also.

I may just be emotionally cold but I don't think people can know after that length of time, obviously, and they're just desperate.

Course you can.
    It's even possible to love someone before you've met them. Ask Savage Garden :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Morpheus wrote: »
    been in 2 serious relationships (6.5 yrs, 4.5 yrs)

First time you think your in love is pure honest animalistic lust.

Some people probably can and do fall in love like that, i prefer to think it develops over a period of time. For some they say "i love you" as commonly as "thanks" for others its seldom said, and if it feels like a huge deal for you to talk about "are we in love" or to tell your other half of x weeks, months, years, that "I love you" then you probably ARE in love - question is though, if they are in love with you, how come they havent said it yet!!!!!

lol, when you can answer this question without your genitals answering, you'll know....

Pop quiz hot shot....
    Your [insert family member here] and your significant other are going to die... but you can choose to save one of them... who would you choose to save and why?

There ya go :)

i'd save my wife
    its not a dilemma if we were in a (insert scenario here) and i had to grab someone and save them it'd be my wife
    unless its ones child (i don't have kids) then i'd of thought everyone would save their wife, but the thread says can you love someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

"woaaaaaaahohwoaaaaahowoaaaaah"

Damn it's stuck in my head now :eek:

:pac::pac::pac: Is that how you spell it then? I would have spelt it whoaohwhoaohwhoaohwhoaaaaaaaaaoh but thanks for that all the same. I cried with laughter reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: Is that how you spell it then? I would have spelt it whoaohwhoaohwhoaohwhoaaaaaaaaaoh but thanks for that all the same. I cried with laughter reading it.

Having consulted the internetz extensively (2 separate websites from google) it seems that the consensus would be:
    Whoa whoa whoa, oooh oooh
    Whoa whoa whoa, oooh oooh

However I reckon the gusto of "whoaohwhoaohwhoaohwhoaaaaaaaaaoh" is the best answer :pac:

I may have just listened to it again having spent the last 3 odd hours trying to not sing it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

You can only really know if you love someone if you've lived with them for years, are able to put up with them and their habits and if are willing to carry out boring household chores for them such as cooking, ironing & sex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i pity most posters in this thread

i do

Advertisement