Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you really love someone

Options
  • 24-05-2013 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

You know less than a month?
    I ask because I know a girl getting married shortly, together two years (almost to the day they get married) and they were madly in love after about a week.

Now I see on Facebook another adult relationship pretty new, and they're "in love" also.

I may just be emotionally cold but I don't think people can know after that length of time, obviously, and they're just desperate.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think its possible.Im an old romantic at heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Oh and she probably has a fine rear end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Think its more in lust at that stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

On the rebound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I think it's possible for love to grow that quickly. There's a difference between being madly in love and being able to make a relationship work though. Sometimes you need more than love and I know couples who genuinely really did love each other but it just couldn't work.

So i think it's all well and good being in love after a week but I always think people who get married after such a short amount of time need their heads examined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I think (more so hope) it's possible!
    However it's entirely possible for one person in a relationship to feign love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

love is more about hating someone, when you love them you can stand it, when you dont you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

You can't love someone after a week.
    These people that think they're in love after a week obviously feel insecure in themselves. If anyone shows them some bit of affection, they fall in "love".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The word is completely devalued and has very little meaning in the context. [robotic voice] 'I am. a. normal human being... I. love you' [/robotic voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

IM0 wrote: »
    love is more about hating someone, when you love them you can stand it, when you dont you cant

As the Virgin herself would say, come again? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I think it's possible but I don't think it's common. Lot of relationships I know of are 'this will do' kind of relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I think you can be madly in lust, infatuation and a host of other emotions after such a short period of time but love? In my opinion, no. But who really knows, maybe it's possible. After all what is love? And isn't it subjective - what is love for me may not be love for the next person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No only freaks do that. Had someone seriously fall in love with me after only a month of casually seeing each other.

To say I couldn't run fast enough was an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Fell in love with my missus on the first night and 19 years later still in love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Love is a misunderstanding between two fools. So an old man told me one day whilst i was at work.

As the Virgin herself would say, come again? :confused:

if I wanted to make a completely obvious self explanetry post I would have been typing for ten minutes, so either you get what I mean or dont. obviously you dont so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No. Unless it's KC And The Sunshine Band. I fukkin love em to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

patmac wrote: »
    Fell in love with my missus on the first night and 19 years later still in love.

You must've fallen into something nice beforehand as well I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

patmac wrote: »
    You're telling me that you fell in love after a few hours with someone? I find that hard to believe.

The only time I fell in love with someone after a few hours, I was after popping a few pills, but the following day, I didn't love them anymore

• Advertisement

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    You're telling me that you fell in love after a few hours with someone? I find that hard to believe.

The only time I fell in love with someone after a few hours, I was after popping a few pills, but the following day, I didn't love them anymore

he fell in lust, this then developed into love when he lusted her so much he didnt want anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Haha ah yeah the memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Course you can. Why wouldn't someone be able to?
    Has anyone ever given any kind of explanation for why they think someone couldn't that didn't basically boil down to, "well that wasn't my experience so it's impossible it could be someone elses" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

There was a lot of alcohol involved but the next day we were together and have been since. She was going out with a lad for 6 years at the time. Just happened can't explain it, never happened before or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

I think you can be in love with the idea of being in love, which rarely lives up to what you think it should be. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think it happens less. The word love is threw around to liberally. There are fifteen year olds who think they are in love. They can't even decide on what to have for breakfast.

One of the rare ones patmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

By the time you realise what love is and what you should do with it, you'll be dead.
    Now this mountain I must climb
    Feels like a world upon my shoulders
    And through the clouds I see love shine
    It keeps me warm as life grows colder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

This is deep for AH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

been in 2 serious relationships (6.5 yrs, 4.5 yrs)

First time you think your in love is pure honest animalistic lust.

Some people probably can and do fall in love like that, i prefer to think it develops over a period of time. For some they say "i love you" as commonly as "thanks" for others its seldom said, and if it feels like a huge deal for you to talk about "are we in love" or to tell your other half of x weeks, months, years, that "I love you" then you probably ARE in love - question is though, if they are in love with you, how come they havent said it yet!!!!!

lol, when you can answer this question without your genitals answering, you'll know....

Pop quiz hot shot....
    Your [insert family member here] and your significant other are going to die... but you can choose to save one of them... who would you choose to save and why?

There ya go :)

• Advertisement

This is deep for AH

Don't worry, never lasts long.

Advertisement