Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you easily offended?

Options
  • 23-05-2013 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

I've always thought most people enjoyed a bit of an argument from time to time. But I find that sometimes when you put arguments to a classmate/ work colleague, they can end up taking these arguments really personally. I can't understand why this is the case, obviously the argument is intended to oppose a stated opinion, not an individual's character.

I recently had an argument about the most trivial thing in the world, the "27 year old club", which I think is nothing more than a confirmation bias.

To my suprise, the person with whom I was arguing has taken the whole thing very personally, and colleagues have suggested I should think about apologizing to smoothe things over.
    That's fine by me, my work relationships mean a lot more to me than the 27 year old club, I just can't understand why the person in question took the thing so personally. So my question to AH users is this...

Do you get offended easily? Do you take non-personal arguments personally? Why get offended about arguments that are directed at a specific point, and not your own character?

Discuss.

Comments

I've always thought most people enjoyed a bit of an argument from time to time. But I find that sometimes when you put arguments to a classmate/ work colleague, they can end up taking these arguments really personally. I can't understand why this is the case, obviously the argument is intended to oppose a stated opinion, not an individual's character.

I recently had an argument about the most trivial thing in the world, the "27 year old club", which I think is nothing more than a confirmation bias.

To my suprise, the person with whom I was arguing has taken the whole thing very personally, and colleagues have suggested I should think about apologizing to smoothe things over.
    That's fine by me, my work relationships mean a lot more to me than the 27 year old club, I just can't understand why the person in question took the thing so personally. So my question to AH users is this...

Do you get offended easily? Do you take non-personal arguments personally? Why get offended about arguments that are directed at a specific point, and not your own character?

Discuss.

NO! How dare you even ask! GTFO! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I have got skin as thick as a Rhinos foreskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

generally don't care. There are a few things I do care about though . BUT I do like being right and although I'd never start a conversation on a touchy subject so if you happen to say something like "Global warming doesn't exist" or "Why do we need new abortion laws" or "the PS3 is better than the xBox 360" and can't back up your statement, watch out.

Especially watch out if you happen to say "I'm allowed top have my opinion". If the only defence you have for having a crappy opinion is that it's yours, you really haven't thought it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

Depends on the offender if I like them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depends on the offender if I like fancy them or not.

Same here. A low cut top has defeated many of my best arguments before they even got started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If you were easily offended, AH is not the best place to be in.

And no, I couldn't care less if you don't like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I wouldn't say I'm easily offended.
    However I avoid unnecessary arguments over stupid topics or those that aren't really important particularly when you can see the other person getting all worked up.
    I've found with experience that you'll rarely change anybodys mind and probably only reinforce their opinion so if someone else wants to get wound up then good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭50SofG

no not easily offended, but sometimes people can say the wrong things at the wrong times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Very hard to offend as my humour is pretty dark.

However, one of my friends (asian) once described me as "skinny like a knacker". I was actually hurt by that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭50SofG

Very hard to offend as my humour is pretty dark.

However, one of my friends (asian) once described me as "skinny like a knacker". I was actually hurt by that :(
    dark .. you and me both but i get your hurt there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I have got skin as thick as a Rhinos foreskin.

Rhinos are my favourite animal
    I'm pretty offended by your comment you jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Rhinos are my favourite animal
    I'm pretty offended by your comment you jerk

....turns the other cheek and prays for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

In real life I've a thick enough skin and am not easily offended, but I find on the Internet people can be really damn sensitive over the most trivial things that you can just ignore if you don't like.

I'm not talking about the serious things, just the really trivial stupid stuff that some people just can't get over and you'd swear you just punched their granny over something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Discuss.

I don't get offended easily but there's more to it than views/opinons of the topic at hand. Even someone who agrees with you can be offensive, if they're smug/aggressive/arrogant in making their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

I usually brush it off but the odd time i can be caught off guard

Anyone else despise those people that can throw out the abuse like it's nothing but if you said anything back to them, even in a joking way, they walk away disgusted and extremely insulted and the blame is shifted on you for everything.

I hate that shíte. Don't give if you can't take!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

The "27 year old club" ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

1ZRed wrote: »
    Anyone else despise those people that can throw out the abuse like it's nothing but if you said anything back to them, even in a joking way, they walk away disgusted and extremely insulted and the blame is shifted on you for everything.

Once got in a fight with a fella who was saying shìte like "Yo' Mama!!" to me.

I said something like "Yo' Mama!" back, got more laughs from people around him and he went:

"THE FÙCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY MOTHER!?!"

Gobshìte.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Once got in a fight with a fella who was saying shìte like "Yo' Mama!!" to me.

I said something like "Yo' Mama!" back, got more laughs from people around him and he went:

"THE FÙCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY MOTHER!?!"

Gobshìte.

What a wanker. I hear his Mama's so fat she got arrested at the airport for having 10 pounds of crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I've come across some people, who it appears to me, get offended, even about the simplest of things, merely because someone doesn't agree with them.

Me, I'm not arsed about much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think I said his Mama was so stoopid that she was fired from the M&M factory for throwing away "W's" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Yes, hate to not get my posts thanked.

I can't understand why this is the case, obviously the argument is intended to oppose a stated opinion, not an individual's character.

A lot of people can not tell the difference. They get offended vicariously on behalf of their own opinions. Many see disagreement with an opinion as being a personal slight on themselves. It is a sad state of affairs but quite common.

I see people getting offended all the time on this forum and others for example - often for no reason - I personally can not be offended by what one person on the internet says from behind a keyboard and monitor on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Panrich wrote: »
    The "27 year old club" ???

the "27 Club" is the group of musicians who all died aged 27.

Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Henrix, Amy Whitehouse, Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

About certain things....very much so (i.e. when my intelligence is questioned in any way, shape or form). Other stuff, I'd probably agree and join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

A lot of people can not tell the difference. They get offended vicariously on behalf of their own opinions. Many see disagreement with an opinion as being a personal slight on themselves. It is a sad state of affairs but quite common.

I see people getting offended all the time on this forum and others for example - often for no reason - I personally can not be offended by what one person on the internet says from behind a keyboard and monitor on the internet.

This is the thing, people LOVE being offended these days. If you get all offended people might have sympathy for you etc. etc

Stephen Fry said it best in a quote i can't dig up atm (on mobile) about people that think being offended gets them some extra rights or adds weight to their opinion/argument. It's part and parcel of our compensation culture, nobody gets told to catch themselves on and harden the **** up anymore for fear they might get upset.

nobody gets told to catch themselves on and harden the **** up anymore for fear they might get upset.

weemcd is online now Report Post

cop the feck on ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm very good at offending people. Not intentionally, I just say what's in my head, not necessarily what people want to hear.

I'm very good at offending people. Not intentionally, I just say what's in my head, not necessarily what people want to hear.

My mum does that. There are days I let it go and others outright mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My mum does that. There are days I let it go and others outright mayhem.

Son?

Advertisement