Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refrigerate After Purchase

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Supermarkets probably have a high enough turnover of eggs that they can be changed quite frequently, but I doubt it's on a daily basis and it would certainly be a lot longer for small shops. Yet still I have yet to crack open and egg & fry up a chicken fetus for breakfast.
    Have you never had an egg with a wee reddish bit in the yolk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Have you never had an egg with a wee reddish bit in the yolk?

When I see that, I know I've hit the jackpot. Yumzers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sergeant wrote: »
    I hop into my Landrover each morning and head down the land to where my brood of hens have hatched their eggs. Like to rustle up a simple breakfast of huevos rancheros served up with fresh bread just out of the Aga. So simple and easy to prepare. More than four hours out of the oviduct and it doesn't matter where you store your eggs.

Yes, and I bet you put on your Dr. Dre headphones and listen to your portable vinyl player whilst jacking off to your new Rachel Allen book...ohhhh scrummy AGA Rachel..

.I agree with your last point in terms of health and safety..although youll get a good spanking from rachel as eggs from the fridge are hard to work with in terms of peaking etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I see that, I know I've hit the jackpot. Yumzers.
    Two meals for the price of one, winner winner chicken dinner.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

We went on holidays one year and forgot about the dozen eggs sitting in the cupboard, came home and the kitchen was full for new born chicks running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Senna wrote: »
    We went on holidays one year and forgot about the dozen eggs sitting in the cupboard, came home and the kitchen was full for new born chicks running around.

I leave eggs on the worktop for weeks on end, they are fine to use ( I bake )even 2 weeks after the sell by date. If you crack open a bad egg your nose would tell you instantly!!

They have never hatched nor do I expect them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently eggs are good for 3 months after purchase. Like chickens used to stop laying for the winter people saved eggs for the winter months

But the EU with the amount of useless regulations say they are only good for one month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I found this funny as well people putting eggs in the fridge its the same with Ketchup its stored on a shelf in the shop but some people then put it in the fridge at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jjbrien wrote: »
    I found this funny as well people putting eggs in the fridge its the same with Ketchup its stored on a shelf in the shop but some people then put it in the fridge at home.
    Ketchup is like beer, it tastes nicer from a chilled glass bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

hfallada wrote: »
    Apparently eggs are good for 3 months after purchase. Like chickens used to stop laying for the winter people saved eggs for the winter months

But the EU with the amount of useless regulations say they are only good for one month

Now that you mention it I don't remember if there were best before dates on any thing when I was young. You learned how to tell if something was fresh.
    Tinned food and packets of soup were the only other choices. There was no pasta or mixes for dinners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Because they're bought that day and changed daily, it's easier to display them on the shelf than in the fridges as the supermarkets would need to buy a lot more refrigerators if that was the case.

what complete rubbish. eggs have a best before date and they are not changed daily. they are taken off the shelves on the bb date and reduced and put back on. if they are not sold they are then taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

gowley wrote: »
    what complete rubbish. eggs have a best before date and they are not changed daily. they are taken off the shelves on the bb date and reduced and put back on. if they are not sold they are then taken off.

I'm obviously joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

jjbrien wrote: »

Is Ketchup not different because they tell you to keep it in a fridge after opening it because the seal has been broken?

I never keep eggs in a fridge, although i often wondered about it because some fridges come with compartments in them for holding eggs in the door. I always thought it was quare because eggs dont go in a fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

It has to do with keeping them at a constant temperature. Shops tend to be temperature regulated without much fluctuation up or down. Your kitchen gets hot and cold depending on the time of day and if your cooking or not.

I'm obviously joking.

obviously. or you havent a clue what youre talking about. i wonder which one it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

In America you are not allowed sell eggs refrigerated - in the EU you are not allowed sell them unless they are refrigerated... or maybe that's the other way around. I read something about it recently anyway.

Anyway the best before data on the eggs is a load of cack, to test if an egg is gone off place it in a cup of water, gone off eggs float, good ones sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

gowley wrote: »
    obviously. or you havent a clue what youre talking about. i wonder which one it is

Joking. Obviously.

Sky King wrote: »
    In America you are not allowed sell eggs refrigerated - in the EU you are not allowed sell them unless they are refrigerated... or maybe that's the other way around. I read something about it recently anyway.

Anyway the best before data on the eggs is a load of cack, to test if an egg is gone off place it in a cup of water, gone off eggs float, good ones sink.
    its the wrong way around. in the us they have to be refridgerated because the usda require all eggs to be power washed before they go for sale.this removes any harmful bacteria but also strips the protective coating thus requiring the eggs to be stocked in a fridge.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

People do know the eggs you get are the hens period and the egg cannot be fertilized unless the hen got rode by a Rooster before the eggs are layed.

Eggs just stay much fresher in the fridge is the only reason they say this

Yea. My local supermarket stocks them on the shelf but my local shop (which is in Ireland) has them in the fridge.

You can see where the confusion arises.

theidiots wrote: »
    People do know the eggs you get are the hens period and the egg cannot be fertilized unless the hen got rode by a Rooster before the eggs are layed.

Do you teach biology by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Ehhhhhhh refrigerate eggs and red sauce(ketchup):eek:
    eggs in press/ red sauce in press
    Traitors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Your fridge is an oxygen free zone and eggs need oxygen to begin germination. So if you buy them from the shelf and leave them on your shelf at home there's a good chance a chicken fetus will begin to form.

Didn't you know that?
    Face palm

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Sky King wrote: »

Do you teach biology by any chance?

No, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

cooperguy wrote: »
    It has to do with keeping them at a constant temperature. Shops tend to be temperature regulated without much fluctuation up or down. Your kitchen gets hot and cold depending on the time of day and if your cooking or not.

+1

Yep, eggs need to be stored at a constant temperature or else they get upset.
    The fridge is the best place for this.

No, why?

Your succinct description of hen reproduction would work well in a class room.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Sauve wrote: »
    +1

Yep, eggs need to be stored at a constant temperature or else they get upset.
    The fridge is the best place for this.

The hell has happened to my Friday nights??! :confused: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

how would the fetus form when the egg is infertile

Not strictly true it seems http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6643407.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Sauve wrote: »
    The hell has happened to my Friday nights??! :confused: :rolleyes:

Even worse is the fact that I'm sitting here reading your advice slurping tea with a hot water shoved between my legs and nodding my head in agreement. At least you're adding to the debate!

Even worse is the fact that I'm sitting here reading your advice slurping tea with a hot water shoved between my legs and nodding my head in agreement. At least you're adding to the debate!
    try putting an egg between your legs rather than hot water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Eggs are fine to be stored at room temp when fresh, the eggs in the supermarket are far from fresh, up to a few weeks old I've heard, so they get you to refrigerate them

Advertisement