Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Almaviva wrote: »
    Mamma mia! What a storm in a tea cup!

This forum is getting along fine.

How about everyone who has posted in this thread just take a day off, and get back on Thursday to posting about golf.

why don't you shut your f*kin face ....

LOL ... that was a joke of course :-)

but I think you're right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Firstly, thanks for a constructive feedback post!
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Here are my thoughts for what they're worth..

> I am in favour of relaxing the rules on betting whilst still maintaining a ban on mere lists of bets and nothing else.

tbh I dont see this as changing the current rule.
    The rule is that you cannot make posts that are purely about betting, but there is no problem mentionning that you have a bet on someone as part of your post...is this what you mean or something else?
    > I see no reason why a poll cannot be used in situations where mass disputes arise in order to ascertain a more democratic result.
    The issue with a poll is that it implies the result of the poll will be implemented, this isnt always the case as we, as moderators, have the health of the forum to think of, this can sometimes be contrary to what the populous wants (or thinks they want)
    If it drives more work for mods then its probably not going to happen.
    It would be disingenuous for us to provide a poll if we are not going to act purely on the poll outcome.
    > I have yet to read any constructive arguments as to why we should get rid of the pga "epic" thread. Like what was said before, there is nothing stopping a poster creating a separate thread and highlighting this in the general thread so as to avoid people posting on the one subject in 2 different threads.
    Agreed.
    Also, there were times at the start of the year when something might happen in a tournament and I would look to see if a tournament thread had been started but it had not, so I didn't bother posting. I feel people would be more inclined to post in a "epic" thread rather than create a new one.
    This is exactly why the thread was created and I believe that the stats posted above bear this out, twice as many posts even though the forum is apparently in a poor state. (Others opinion, not mine)

To be blunt, unless the single thread is causing a real problem and impacting the forum in a negative way its going to stay. The reason its going to stay is that, based on what we can see so far, its having a positive influence on the forum. We have more people posting and reading this thread than we have in individual threads.

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Look at the thread regarding the Byron Nelson this weekend in your Epic thread. First post mentions it today yet very slow uptake on the discussion. Whereas a new thread will provide a better template for discussion.
    I went looking for last year's Players thread today, found it easily and I knew all the discussion related to that specific event,rather than having a mix n'match of different events in that thread.Had that event been in hidden in your Epic thread, yes I'd have found it, but who's to say someone wouldn't have started talking about last year's WM event in the middle of it?
    A seperate thread sets the parameters for debate on a single event, your Epic doesn't-it's just too messy and has no sense of occasion.

I disagree that a new thread will promote more posts. The facts also seem to disagree. (Double the posts for TPC year over year)
    I would wager that there wouldnt be a single post about the byron yet if we didnt have the epic thread as we would need to wait for someone who felt they had something important enough to create a thread for it.

Whats the problem with a mix'n'match of events (albeit they are organised in chronological order, so hardly a difficult to navigate)?
    If you search for whatever term you used to find last years thread in the Epic thread then you will quickly find the page you want?
    Then just read the bits you want.

The point of a forum is not historical record, its for whats happening right now. If you want to find out about something that happened a year ago then I dont think you can complain that the forum isnt setup to give easy access to year old posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the fact that you only went looking for The 2012 Players Championship thread TODAY goes against your inference that people use boards as a resource tool into events.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Ok, that's my last in this forum. Another bloody click. Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

epic pga thread for the regular events

individual thread for ryder cup/majors/irish open

I would agree with this and would be good if the european tour thread would take off as it is even less likely that a thread set up for the medeira open for example would gather much interest but lads might make passing comment if the "epic" thread was in use
    GreeBo wrote: »

The rule is that you cannot make posts that are purely about betting, but there is no problem mentioning that you have a bet on someone as part of your post...is this what you mean or something else?

I disagree with this as I think it does require a change to the current rule as it is very borderline what is allowed regarding gambling talk. While it says in theory that you can mention it, in reality it is frowned upon and people would be in danger of picking up stupid infractions.

Personally I don't post here as much as i'd like to. Mostly because I feel it is too rigidly moderated and I end up picking up needless infractions for stupid things such as asking a question involving golf in the off topic thread. Silly little things that would only require an in thread message rather than infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sigh.

well I hope the rest of you are happy. Got rid of one of the nicer new posters this forum has had for quite some time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I'm not going to make this personal against Greebo because in fairness he seems very much alone in modding the golf forum.....

gee thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah, so the Players championship should be in the epic thread,
    but the Irish open deserves it's own thread ... because it's such an elite field and spectacular tournament :cool:

* must resist the urge to feed the troll *

Why was the last post by Mister Sifter deleted from this thread?

because the majority of his last few posts were simply just to try wind us up. They were in no way adding to the discussion going on which is a pity as its the total opposite to his contributions in other forums.

• Advertisement

tbh that really just smacks of "I'm not getting what I want, so I'm going home!"
    If you are unwilling or unable to make your point without resorting to posts like above, perhaps internet forums are not best suited to you.

In life and especially on the internet, you are never going to get everyone agreeing with your opinion, accusing those who disagree with you is laughably way off the mark; to suggest that ajcurry and myself are in a clique is comedy gold!

christ i go and install a new router at home and come back to this! Relax guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just a suggestion on the betting disagreement. Over on the rugby forum there's a thread just for betting. Would something like that not work here?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I would agree with this and would be good if the european tour thread would take off as it is even less likely that a thread set up for the medeira open for example would gather much interest but lads might make passing comment if the "epic" thread was in use
    There is nothing in the charter to stop anyone from creating a specific tournament thread, the fact that rarely anyone bothers showed that maybe an epic thread would work. I agree its a pity that the Euro one has died a bit, I guess that tour just isnt as exciting or watchable...
    I disagree with this as I think it does require a change to the current rule as it is very borderline what is allowed regarding gambling talk. While it says in theory that you can mention it, in reality it is frowned upon and people would be in danger of picking up stupid infractions.

tbh its not borderline at all.
    If your post is purely about betting you are breaching the charter...it cant really be simpler imo...
    Personally I don't post here as much as i'd like to. Mostly because I feel it is too rigidly moderated and I end up picking up needless infractions for stupid things such as asking a question involving golf in the off topic thread. Silly little things that would only require an in thread message rather than infractions.

The offtopic thread is specifically for non golf topics.
    The thread contains numerous warnings and there is a pretty good clue in the name of the thread; honestly do you not think that we have more to be doing than warning someone who clearly knows better?

What you see as a needless, one-of infraction/warning is actually us attempting to stop a crap load of work form developing. You only see your infraction, we are the ones who see the other 10 that we have had to give out for stupid reasons that same day/hour. Please try to appreciate this.
    Its the same reason why we react strongly to users who cross the "banter" line, without the benefit of tone these things quickly get out of hand and descend into chaos, often requiring multiple banings when an initial infraction can prevent it all.

We want you to post here more and contribute to the thread...we want everyone to do that!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    christ i go and install a new router at home and come back to this! Relax guys!

Ah.... you didn't miss much, Greebo announced he's opening an online bookies, EPIC Bookies.
    Infractions can now be cashed in for a fiver free bet.
    Bets can be placed by PM or on whatever thread you want :);)

Apart for that, it's be an "not at all epic" day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

to suggest that ajcurry and myself are in a clique is comedy gold!

So thats what he meant. And I thought I was missing a joke about a cleek - as in, a good old 1 iron.

tbh its not borderline at all.
    If your post is purely about betting you are breaching the charter...it cant really be simpler imo...

This why I think a change is needed while I understand people dont want to see posts like this
    I have backed
    woods @2/1
    phil @20/1
    donald @25/1
    etc etc

I do think post such as I think Dicky pride is overpriced this week at 200/1 he has decent course form and lives in the area etc. should be allowed and although the overall point of the post is gambling based I feel it would add to the overall discussion in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The rule is that you cannot make posts that are purely about betting, but there is no problem mentionning that you have a bet on someone as part of your post...is this what you mean or something else?

The part from the charter highlighted below is what I consider to be too much. If I made the following post, it would be in breach of the charter which I think is a shame because it would be the exact conversation had on 1st fairways up and down the country most Sunday mornings...

"Cabrera really is playing well. I have an each way bet at 100/1 so I just hope he can bring it home in the top 6."
    Betting
    Do no make posts that are purely around betting/odds. Either take it to the Gambling forum or, if one exists the associated betting thread in the golf forum for that event. Likewise do not make non betting related posts in the betting thread.
    Its fine to make a comment on a bet you had on someone etc but this must not be the main purpose of your post.
    Infractions will be given for breaches of this rule. Blatant attempts to ignore or circumvent this rule will result in a 1 month ban.
    Under no circumstances should any poster offer a bet to any other poster. Immediate 1 month ban will result.
    Warning will be given at the moderators discretion.
    The issue with a poll is that it implies the result of the poll will be implemented, this isnt always the case as we, as moderators, have the health of the forum to think of, this can sometimes be contrary to what the populous wants (or thinks they want)
    If it drives more work for mods then its probably not going to happen.
    It would be disingenuous for us to provide a poll if we are not going to act purely on the poll outcome.
    That is a valid point but it could be made clear that the poll is merely a persuasive tool in order to gauge the viewpoint of the majority in order to help guide the mods as to what the right course of action should be.

This why I think a change is needed while I understand people dont want to see posts like this

I do think post such as I think Dicky pride is overpriced this week at 200/1 he has decent course form and lives in the area etc. should be allowed and although the overall point of the post is gambling based I feel it would add to the overall discussion in the forum.

For me thats the wrong side of the line and the reason for this is that if you have no interest in betting/gambling then you have no interest in that post.
    I know this is an emotive issue for you as you are into your gambling, but you have to respect that many, many people on here are not, they are golfers first and foremost.

The other issue is that if you allow a post like your example, then its very difficult to draw the line of whats allowed and what isnt.
    The decision taken is to ensure that the user who wants to read about golf gets something to read about in every post, after all its the golf forum.

Make any more sense?

The part from the charter highlighted below is what I consider to be too much. If I made the following post, it would be in breach of the charter which I think is a shame because it would be the exact conversation had on 1st fairways up and down the country most Sunday mornings...

"Cabrera really is playing well. I have an each way bet at 100/1 so I just hope he can bring it home in the top 6."
    The critical difference that I see here is that your mates are interested in this, the majority of posters here are probably not as your bet means nothing to them. If however you put something with some golf context in your post then by all means add your own bet as a tagline, that way everyone gets something from the post.

Previously we had tournament threads that got besieged by people who had little interest in golf other than betting, dropping in and filling post after post with their bets and what they reckon are good/bad odds.

That is a valid point but it could be made clear that the poll is merely a persuasive tool in order to gauge the viewpoint of the majority in order to help guide the mods as to what the right course of action should be.

Thats certainly an option and we tried it for the gambling super thread, but there was a marked lack of interest in the numbers voting compared to the original poll, I can only believe that this is because people dont typically vote if there isnt going to be an outcome, but happy to be corrected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

tbh that really just smacks of "I'm not getting what I want, so I'm going home!"
    If you are unwilling or unable to make your point without resorting to posts like above, perhaps internet forums are not best suited to you.

In life and especially on the internet, you are never going to get everyone agreeing with your opinion, accusing those who disagree with you is laughably way off the mark; to suggest that ajcurry and myself are in a clique is comedy gold!

Numerous people tried to make their points here today Greebo - yet in all cases you resorted to your automatic form of condescending authoritarian tones.

The almost laughable thing about this thread is that every accusation you make at those who disagree with you about only seeing their side of the argument is more applicable to you than anyone else.

As for the deleting of posts here earlier - well in my opinion that was childish and ridiculous behaviour for a so-called moderator of this forum.

Your earlier quote in this thread saying "contrary to what the populous wants (or thinks they want)" - smacks of downright smugness and is as far removed from what a mod should behave like as I can imagine.

You can infract me or whatever else gives you your kicks for this.
    Unfortunately today has simply confirmed what I have been suspecting for some time - that you are pretty much the worst thing about this forum and you are in no small way accountable for it's decline.

I, like some others here today have had a enough of your cringeworthy, opinionated, one-sided and above all else hypocritcial self-righteousness.

This will be my last post here until the clearly most required change is made.

I would say that I hope the view is nice up there from your high horse Greebo but in actual fact I hope you have a swift fall off that perch.

All the best to everybody else - it was nice to be able to contribute over the past 2 years. Good luck - I think you will all need it.

For me thats the wrong side of the line and the reason for this is that if you have no interest in betting/gambling then you have no interest in that post.
    I know this is an emotive issue for you as you are into your gambling, but you have to respect that many, many people on here are not, they are golfers first and foremost.

The other issue is that if you allow a post like your example, then its very difficult to draw the line of whats allowed and what isnt.
    The decision taken is to ensure that the user who wants to read about golf gets something to read about in every post, after all its the golf forum.

Make any more sense?

I know that it is viewed as the wrong side of the line for you and it is not what a lot of people want but on the other side a lot of people would like it, if i remember correctly the last time there was a discussion/poll on the issue the majority were in favor of allowing such posts

Cant support that as a valid post. The thrust of it is your bet. And the real problem is that it tends too easily to head off into :

Poster1 : Got him at 80/1
    Poster2 : Cabrera always bad value on that course. Back him on tough courses and you have a better chance.
    Poster 3 : Agree with poster two. Took him for a place though.
    Poster 4 : That the problem with Paddy Power poster 1, much better at...
    etc
    etc.

The topic was the Irish Open guys. The above is joist noise in that context for those of us who dont follow gambling.

I know that it is viewed as the wrong side of the line for you and it is not what a lot of people want but on the other side a lot of people would like it, if i remember correctly the last time there was a discussion/poll on the issue the majority were in favor of allowing such posts

So this is the problem with a poll.
    If we followed the poll results blindly I believe we wouldnt be doing our jobs as mods.

Allowing unmoderated betting/gambling posts would result in driving some users away.
    Reaching a compromise would seem to be the best way to satisfy both parties and keep the most users participating on the forum.

Remember its a golf forum, our purpose is to talk about golf first and foremost.

There is a betting forum with many threads dedicated to posting about golf betting (that you are the key poster on) thats where pure gambling posts belong as the are not of interest to all golfers.

So thats what he meant. And I thought I was missing a joke about a cleek - as in, a good old 1 iron.

Spare a thought for me.
    I thought we were in the couple zone but going by what Greebo said about the suggestion of us being a clique being laughable, I don't even know if we're in the friends zone now....

While I didn't agree with Iliks argument or leaving, he was much more than just a superb username, a great poster too and sad to see him go.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for me.
    I thought we were in the couple zone but going by what Greebo said about the suggestion of us being a clique being laughable, I don't even know if we're in the friends zone now....

While I didn't agree with Iliks argument or leaving, he was much more than just a superb username, a great poster too and sad to see him go.

I liked the cut of his gee too. Hopefully will return.

Previously we had tournament threads that got besieged by people who had little interest in golf other than betting, dropping in and filling post after post with their bets and what they reckon are good/bad odds.

And this is something i had the issue with, I was the one against the betting in the golf forum but agreed to relax a bit on it. This is a golf forum, lads coming in an the only contribution was about a bet and nothing else annoyed me.

I liked the cut of his gee too. Hopefully will return.

hopefully, have met the chap a few times, very nice fella.

Cant support that as a valid post. The thrust of it is your bet. And the real problem is that it tends too easily to head off into :

Poster1 : Got him at 80/1
    Poster2 : Cabrera always bad value on that course. Back him on tough courses and you have a better chance.
    Poster 3 : Agree with poster two. Took him for a place though.
    Poster 4 : That the problem with Paddy Power poster 1, much better at...
    etc
    etc.

The topic was the Irish Open guys. The above is joist noise in that context for those of us who dont follow gambling.

For me I got some valuable information from poster 2 above as he states that cabrera is better suited to difficult tracks were scoring is more difficult as he may not score low enough to compete here.

For me the below causes more noise tbh (not having a go aj just using it as an example)
    ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Numerous people tried to make their points here today Greebo - yet in all cases you resorted to your automatic form of condescending authoritarian tones.

The almost laughable thing about this thread is that every accusation you make at those who disagree with you about only seeing their side of the argument is more applicable to you than anyone else.

As for the deleting of posts here earlier - well in my opinion that was childish and ridiculous behaviour for a so-called moderator of this forum.

Your earlier quote in this thread saying "contrary to what the populous wants (or thinks they want)" - smacks of downright smugness and is as far removed from what a mod should behave like as I can imagine.

You can infract me or whatever else gives you your kicks for this.
    Unfortunately today has simply confirmed what I have been suspecting for some time - that you are pretty much the worst thing about this forum and you are in no small way accountable for it's decline.

I, like some others here today have had a enough of your cringeworthy, opinionated, one-sided and above all else hypocritcial self-righteousness.

100% agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement