Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on parts from main dealer?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I recently bought a clutch cable for a van from a main Citroen dealer and had it fitted by an independent mechanic. Got the van back and the new cable snapped again. Rang the mechanic brought the van back and mechanic told me to return the cable for a new one and that it should be covered under a warranty. Now Citroen want another €131 and say they may refund me the money when someone inspects the snapped cable. Should this be covered under a warranty or is it void because an independent mechanic fitted it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Assumptions first - you bought this as a consumer and not in the course of a business?

Citroen are within their rights to inspect the cable, which will determine if the independent mechanic was at fault. However I'd be telling them to be on their bikes as regard the €131. I would proceed in the following manner:

Advise them you are happy for them to inspect the cable but as the independent mechanic has advised you its a fault cable this will be done at their expense. If they don't play ball - small claims court, although this would be the dealer not Citroen themselves. I assume you've been in contact with the main dealer and they have advised you contact Citroen?

Ensure that advise them you require written conformation of what ever the fault is. If at that point they are blaming the mechanic - revert to the mechanic possibly through small claims if you need to. You may not be able to recoup the €131 though if this is the case, which you will be liable for if they find it was fitted in error.

Hope this helps, not meant as legal advice just how I would proceed, all corrections welcome of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Yes I bought the cable as a consumer from a main Citroen dealer. I wanted to use genuine parts in the van. I brought the snapped cable back last week and they had to order a new one. When I went today to collect the new one they asked me for another €131. To which I asked was it not covered under a warranty? Then I was told someone who covers the warranty's would have to look at the snapped cable. Why they haven't looked at it since last Wednesday is another question. So I refused to pay and they said they will ring me once it's inspected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Ah that makes thing clearer. It's not €131 to inspect the cable its €131 for a new cable.

They are within their rights to do this, however they have a limited time to inspect the goods. If it's not resolved by the tenth working day take a letter in letter in demanding a refund or intimidate replacement. If you don't get any joy initiate the small claims process. Unfortunately it's €25 to do which you won't see back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The cables in these Citroens come in a kit form which you need to out together once routed through. The end pieces have to fitted. I'd imagine they want to check if the cable broke as a result of it being out together incorrectly (which happens quiet a lot) or if its failed due to a manufacturing fault.

A cable that fails for a manufacturing fault should definitely be covered hiw ever if your mechanic made a balls if putting it together well that's his problem.

I've worked in warranty in a main dealers and they can take their time on inspection as it may need to be returned to the factory for assessment.

Advertisement