Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 Motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Theres no need for a 3rd lane for the whole way as plenty enough dont know how to use a motorway and the innermost lane would just remain empty until the split for Waterford, with cars doing 80kmh using the middle lane as the driving lane - rendering the 3 lane highway useless.
    (unless you want to zoom along the empty driving lane at 120kmh "undertaking" all the slow moving trafic in the middle and outer overtaking lane!)

Complete and utter rubbish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Complete and utter rubbish. :rolleyes:
    here is a google streetview of the 3 lane upgraded stretch of road the Dublin side of Naas.
    http://maps.google.de/maps?q=kildare&hl=de&ll=53.245752,-6.601582&spn=0.019568,0.111494&hnear=Kildare,+County+Kildare,+Irland&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.245776,-6.601581&panoid=ONYAnFhCemz7CnS7DR6Q5w&cbp=11,224.2,,0,8.8

Note EXACTLY that what I have said above is clearly visible here (EDIT: and look behind the google camera and its 500m+ of empty driving lane).
    All the traffic is in the middle overtaking lane and outside overtaking lane and virtually nobody in the driving lane.
    The proposed road is an direct extension of this road!

So as I said, you dont really need the 3 lanes the full 12km as the extra lane is going to waste with bad driving anyhow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So as I said, you dont really need the 3 lanes the full 12km as the extra lane is going to waste with bad driving anyhow.

Repeating my comment would probably be bad form. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wild Bill wrote: »

Repeating my comment would probably be bad form. :cool:
    In fairness the stretches of three lane road are very short in this country. If you had really long stretches and on more of the motorway people would get used to behaving right on it. Find a country with as few 3 lane roads and as new a network.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The UK has had D3M motorways with three lanes on either side for over 50 years now and still many drivers there don't use them properly.

The M7 is genuinely congested - even in these recessionary times - from the M9 junction to the Maudlins interchange. It needs to be widened sooner rather than later.

I don't think the M7 beyond the M9 junction needs widening but it may do so at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The UK has had D3M motorways with three lanes on either side for over 50 years now and still many drivers there don't use them properly.

The M7 is genuinely congested - even in these recessionary times - from the M9 junction to the Maudlins interchange. It needs to be widened sooner rather than later.

I don't think the M7 beyond the M9 junction needs widening bit it may do so at some stage in the future.
    Also most British motorways are so heavy trafficked that it is more noticeable when someone starts taking the piss on lane hogging. The added enforcement from the police keeps things moving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Theres no need for a 3rd lane for the whole way as plenty enough dont know how to use a motorway and the innermost lane would just remain empty until the split for Waterford, with cars doing 80kmh using the middle lane as the driving lane - rendering the 3 lane highway useless.
    (unless you want to zoom along the empty driving lane at 120kmh "undertaking" all the slow moving trafic in the middle and outer overtaking lane!)

Say that while using it everyday at 7.30 am and 5.00pm!! It's ridiculously congested and clearly not flowing freely as a motoway should. Definitely a capacity issue here.
    Though I do take your point re lane hogging and general atrocious lack of awareness as to lane discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is not rocket science. Widen it to 3 lanes and setup a few cameras and ticket anyone acting the bollocks. Make sure that this is widely publicised, that way the new section will start off orderly from the beginning. Even if it doesn't the fines will provide useful revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think the M7 widening merits its own thread tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Does anyone have info regarding the closure of the M7 between Birdhill and Annacotty last night and tonight.. anything to do with the bog of doom..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Does anyone have info regarding the closure of the M7 between Birdhill and Annacotty last night and tonight.. anything to do with the bog of doom..

from AA Road:

!AA Traffic Update
    The M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd will close north and southbound for overnight works until Thurs 31st May
    It will close between J27 Birdhill (Tipperary) and J28 Castletroy (Newport Rd Interchange) from 9pm to 6am the following day. Southbound traffic will divert at J27 through Birdhill to Newport R/A rejoining the M7 at J28. Northbound traffic diversions will be vice versa. Diversions will be signposted."

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Heard today that the closure was to allow inspection of the Sinking Bog of Doom section and that there are going to be remedial works at some point in the near future that will close that section of Motorway for 28 days... not sure about the quality of the information but it sounds plausible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Heard today that the closure was to allow inspection of the Sinking Bog of Doom section and that there are going to be remedial works at some point in the near future that will close that section of Motorway for 28 days... not sure about the quality of the information but it sounds plausible...

i drove over it and back on saturday night, heading to limerick there are now noticable bumps at regular intervals, combined with a undulation. very very similar to a resurfaced bog road that is near me. the bumps reminded me of the concrete roads that used to be in dublin, from clontarf to kilbarrack for example, and the bumps you would get when you go from one slab to the next, only these were much further apart.

i was last on the road in March/April, and I do not remember this being there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Bog of Doom section would be up for a retention payment this year is my guess. The NRA got €600m for capital payments this year...and as they are building shag all new roads evidently most of this is retention payments...almots like snagging payments.

Whether any reasonable amount of money will ever fix the Bog of Doom is another matter. I should think it could easily swallow the guts of €100m all on its own and that it will take much longer than 28 days to remediate. :(

The Bog Of Doom is actually 2 bogs. 1 smaller bog east of Lisnagry named Drominboy bog and the biggie is east of Castleconnell in Annaholty which was the one that caused the most problems and which section was already partially rebuilt at its southern end prior to opening after it crumbled while under construction.

Is the surface issue affecting the road on one or on both of the bogs???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

its a long enough experiance so my guess is its the eastern one, approaching limerick, on the dubilin bound side it seems ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭pigtown

Junction 29 (Ballysimon) upgrade complete. Could do with some better signage but all in all I think it will relieve some of the pressure on that junction. It does show up the need for dualling some of the N24 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good. That is a ridiculous setup as it stands but I guess it was built like that years ago so we can't complain too much.

Any word at all on the M7 widening from the end of the Naas bypass to the M7/9 junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MYOB wrote: »

Great. Is it only the northbound carriageway they are widening? The southband one is not great at peak times either (mainly though due to numpties slowing to 80-100kmh when merging off to the M9. Drives me mad).

Only the north / east bound one as far as I know.

One reason why people slow down to head off to the M9 is that the driving lane on the merge is a bit rough and looks even worse. Resurfacing that might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

While driving north to Dublin today I noticed new (to me) signs every 500m counting down the distance to -- Dublin I presume. Signs are small and blue and simply say e.g. M7 E 67.5, then M7 E 67 etc etc. Are these very new? Will they be extended to all motorways -- and why are they there?
    Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been thrashed to death somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

lottpaul wrote: »
    While driving north to Dublin today I noticed new (to me) signs every 500m counting down the distance to -- Dublin I presume. Signs are small and blue and simply say e.g. M7 E 67.5, then M7 E 67 etc etc. Are these very new? Will they be extended to all motorways -- and why are they there?
    Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been thrashed to death somewhere else.

They are for emergenct services to easily locate an accident, stray llama or what ever. Easier to say "M7 eastbound at marker 67" than "somewhere along the dublin road near nenagh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

The Naas globe ball interchange is very right for 3 lane spec there. Is there a chance they could modify the bridge and move the pillars on each side further out and and build a pillar in the middle to support a new deck?. I imagine It will involve building a temp bridge while replacing the current bridge. Or they could just allow Naas bound traffic to divert to the Johnstown interchange for a few months while they modify the bridge. It's only NB that would be diverted so it shouldn't be to much of a disruption to local or commuter traffic. Could it be done?

The Naas bypass will need all of it's bridges been removed. The Oberstown interchange will replace one of them. What is left is the Sallins and R local road on the eastern side of the bypass. All new cross sections bridges should be built to Four lane spec on each side. M50 style width bridges. The Naas DC currently has those bridge width measurements since the upgrade. The old bridges fit 3 lanes one side while the other side needs to use it's embankments. The bridges do not fit 3 lanes on each side.

Also the Sallins Johnstown road should be upgraded and All Sallins traffic should be diverted to the Johnstown interchange instead. This will ease the Naas globe ball exit and leave that interchange for Naas bound traffic only. The Monread road is to congested at peak times to handle the extra commuter traffic going via Sallins.

When Newlands is upgraded, the M7/M9 junction is going to be a car pile up most days from then on.

Hello mysterious...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭richiek83

The Mauldins bridge will be replaced according to the diagrams on the Kildare county council website. But the redesign of the Mauldins interchange is absolutely horrific. I can't even believe how anyone in their right mind could design a mess like that. For Naas bound traffic to leave the N7 it has to negotiate through four roundabouts in the space of 100 metres. They can't be serious with this design. With plenty of land available why on Earth would you need to negotiate through four roundabouts for one movement to leave an interchange. :eek:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/M7OsberstownInterchangeMotorwayScheme2008/LinkToDocument,16675,en.pdf

The only other bridges left to replace is the Sallins and the Local R road from the western end of the bypass. The Newbridge exit will also be replaced according to the diagrams. The redesign plans for that interchange is also awful. The actual current layouts are actually better than the redesign.

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    The Mauldins bridge will be replaced according to the diagrams on the Kildare county council website.

No, the diagram clearly states that the existing bridge is being retained.

The overbridge structures are all wide enough for a D3 to go through. There is no requirement for continuous shoulders on motorways. Just like your previous hobby horse in Nenagh, where no overbridges were replaced.

Much Naas-bound traffic will be using the Osberstown interchange instead, I suspect they want to reduce/remove as much inbound traffic from the Dublin Road as possible. They can also come off at Johnstown and use the frontage road.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/M7OsberstownInterchangeMotorwayScheme2008/LinkToDocument,16677,en.pdf

Here is the same redesign but another copy with it stating the bridge to be replaced as part of the M7 widening scheme.. The top decking has to be replaced. The bridge at the Newbridge interchange is also going to be replaced. The farm access bridge is also been replaced at Obsertown. The bridges are in actual fact Ireland's oldest motorway bridges. The total median with is 12 metres but that includes the hardstrips (2.0m total) and the bridge deck clearance in the middle which adds up another 3metres of the median. It is going to be very tight. I don't see the point in retaining the old bridges anyway if most of them are going anyway.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    No, the diagram clearly states that the existing bridge is being retained.

The overbridge structures are all wide enough for a D3 to go through. There is no requirement for continuous shoulders on motorways. Just like your previous hobby horse in Nenagh, where no overbridges were replaced.

Much Naas-bound traffic will be using the Osberstown interchange instead, I suspect they want to reduce/remove as much inbound traffic from the Dublin Road as possible. They can also come off at Johnstown and use the frontage road.

The HS are retained on the Nenagh bypass. They are just slightly narrower. The HS is 2.5metres. A running lane is 3.5metres or 3.65metres. It doesn't look like they are going to retain any of the bridges on the Naas bypass.

Advertisement