Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings [History Channel - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is this being shown on Irish tv yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ipso wrote: »
    Regarding Russia I thought Russia was named after Swedish Vikings known as the Rus.
    The word Russia relates to the act of rowing, which is what the Vikings were famous for. The Russians are descendants of the Vikings.
    They also mentioned England, is this show set pre or post Angle invasion of Britain?
    The first episode said it was set in 740AD. According to Wikipedia the angles invaded in the 5th century so it would be after the angle invasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I believe the third episode is out, not seen the show myself...doing well in the ratings so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Yeah, it is. Interesting strategy releasing the episodes online a week before than the air date. Gotta say I'm loving it.

DeWitt wrote: »
    Yeah, it is. Interesting strategy releasing the episodes online a week before than the air date. Gotta say I'm loving it.
    Ya, it's an interesting one. I've told a good few people about it. A many responses have been something like "what channel is it on?". "Is that on RTE?". I feel used now! I've prepared most people I know for it's imminent arrival on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I haven't watched it since the pilot. Didn't like it enough to go searching online, will probably watch it when it's on TV here. I assume it'll be on History Channel here too?

I believe the third episode is out, not seen the show myself...doing well in the ratings so far.

Another insightful and intelligent post. I can never understand why you post such mindless rubbish in threads dedicated to shows you don't watch. Is it just to watch your post count go up by one.

Watched the first half of the first episode of the show and enjoyed it. Lot it people seem to find the opening rather boring and slow but what I saw was very good and set the show up rather well. Think ill save this show till summer as it looks like a great tea time show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the blonde wife is so hot

<SNIP>

I only do it to annoy you Darko.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

the monks could have put more of a fight

Nah they couldn't have really. They are pacifists and took vows etc... and the producers want to keep it historically accurate so they wouldn't have monks fighting.

Anyway I am 3 episodes in and enjoying it so far. The characters are being developed nicely. I already hate the earl, his wife (although she isn't bad on the eyes) and Knoot. I am liking the character of Ragnar as a leader and his brother as the sly,clever and slightly hotheaded one. Anyone else think Loki reminds them of the baboon from the lion king or is that just me? :P

I do however think that although we are only 3 episodes in, there is a slight lack of drama or even small cliffhangers to engage the viewer and I fear that the show may continue in this trend. Which is a shame as it is an easy enough thing to alter while also sticking to the historical accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Am loving this show just two episodes in.

Very interesting era and lots happening.
    Can't wait to see how Gabriel Bynre the Earl will react when they return.
    Execute a few of them? Nah, probably send follow up expeditions, interesting anyway :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Has anyone any idea when this will be shown on the history channel on this side of the Atlantic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another good episode

I suppose you can guess what Ragner is preparing himself for but it's not certain.

Looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,888 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Got around to watching ep 4 there

Man im loving this show. Pretty great stuff so far

This and Justified has me grinning each week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

Just started with ep1 the other night. Great show. I don't see why people say it's slow. I think it's pretty character driven and it allows you to get into the world and the mindset. The beheading scene was pretty graphic. I think people have gotten too used to watching Game of Thrones! Looks like Gabriel Byrne is playing the first Viking Earl with an Irish accent though :). Based on what I've seen so far, I'll be sticking with this.

Wheres the next episode???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Wheres the next episode???

Read somewhere it will be out on the 31st. Must have skipped a week or something.

Read somewhere it will be out on the 31st. Must have skipped a week or something.
    Isn't it a week ahead online? I was expecting this to happen sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loving this show so far, has an awesome 8.7 on IMDB

And my mate's in it, he's been killed twice so far :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Really enjoying this so far. If it continues like this, and maybe grows in scope a bit more as it goes on, it could be a fantastic show.

• Advertisement

Despite stiff competition on Sundays its doing very well....we might have another 4 seasons Tuders on our hands.

Despite stiff competition on Sundays its doing very well....we might have another 4 seasons Tuders on our hands.
    There's plenty of history there, the vikings went on to colonise most of Europe and set up trade links that would put the romans to shame. Russia and Britain would be just two examples of what are essentially Viking settlements.

And of course they more than likely discovered America. Vikings could go on for decades if they wanted it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has been renewed for a second season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cracking show. Relatively simplistic and no-frills, but great characters and decent acting. Infinitely better than I expected, and straight to my list of 'must see's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Has this show finished or is there any plans to repeat, never heard of it until my mate send me a link and looks good.

It's about 6 episodes into the first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's about 6 episodes into the first season.

What day is it on as I couldn't see it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Really enjoying this series overall, the scenery is fantastic(not as varied as GoT but few shows are) , its well cast and the action is visceral but very believable, Ragnar, as is typical of the leads in these type of shows is very useful with a sword/axe but unlike those shows he is not invincible as last weeks episode showed.

Last nights episode was probably my favorite since the pilot but I can't help but feel like the events therein could have done with a season of build up rather then occuring 6 episodes in but perhaps
    Gabriel Byrnes availability was an issue

If i have a niggle with this show it that Athelston journey from scared monk enslaved and in a strange land to Ragnars buddy and free man was all handled off screen during the weeks Ragnar was at sea.

Things I want to see if not in the remaining episodes then next season are Athelston rediscovering his missionary zeal and trying to bring his god to the northerners and the conflict that would arise from that and if Ragnars lot could utter these words before battle that would be dandy too .

"Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother, my Sisters and my brothers , Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever"

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    What day is it on as I couldn't see it on the website.
    It's on Sundays in the US. So it's on the web today. Not that I'd know, terrible thing that piracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Strange choice of deaths for characters. In particular the character of Erik who was the most vikingesque of all the characters in the show!

Advertisement