Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vikings [History Channel - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Remember that Vikings show i posted about ages ago?....well it's gone live:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/13/history-orders-first-scripted-series-vikings/

History Channel is throwing its hat (erm, viking helmet?) into the scripted television ring.

The network announced today it will begin production on Vikings, a period series that will air in 2013. The show, brought to the network from MGM, will be executive produced by Michael Hirst, the man behind Showtime’s The Tudors and Camelot.

“People think they know about the Vikings – we see references to them all the time in our popular culture from TV commercials to football teams – but the reality is so much more fascinating and complex, more vivid, visceral and powerful than popular legend,” said History president Nancy Dubuc in a statement. “We will explore the mysteries of the Vikings – the adventures they took and the people who led them.”

Vikings will chronicle the adventures of Ragnar Lothbrock, an actual Norse hero from the Viking Age, as he rises to head of the Viking tribes. It will be filmed in Ireland.

^ good!...more jobs!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Gabriel Byrne cast: http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/gabriel-byrne-cast-in-historys-vikings/

Gabriel Byrne has been cast as Earl Haraldson in History channel’s first scripted series, Vikings, which premieres in 2013. Byrne will play a powerful figure in the historical telling of the Norsemen who raided and explored during Medieval times. He goes against the story’s protagonist, Ragnar Lothrok. Vikings is a 10-episode drama from MGM TV and The Tudors and Camelot masterminds Michael Hirst and Morgan O’Sullivan. Other executive producers on the series include John Weber of Take 5 Productions, Sherry Marsh, Alan Gasmer, James Flynn and Sheila Hockin. As with Hirst and O’Sullivan’s other productions, it’s an Irish/Canadian co-production. History has U.S. rights; MGM TV has most international rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gustaf Skarsgard is Alexander's brother

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gustaf Skarsgard is Alexander's brother

Those Skarsgards are everywhere, there must hundreds of them in the acting business.:pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ellio239

this is going to be a fantastic Show! 3.3.13 History channel! Time TBC! delighted about this show! :D where did you originally find out about it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Looking forward to this.

Love the track they used for the ad too..

You may remember it from breaking bad (and person of interest) ;)

Synopsis for 1x01 - 1x09:
    “Rites of Passage” – Sunday, March 3 at 10 p.m. (Series Premiere)
    The world of the Vikings is brought to life through the journey of Ragnar Lothbrok, the first Viking to emerge from Norse legend and onto the pages of history – a man on the edge of myth. Our story begins in 8th century Scandinavia where Ragnar Lothbrok is a warrior and a farmer who dreams of finding riches by bucking the tradition of raiding to the east. Ragnar has been working in secret on a project that will turn the Viking world on its head. But first Ragnar must convince the leader of his community, the powerful Earl Haraldson, who is none too happy to share in the renown that this journey could bring to Ragnar if it’s successful.
    Directed by: Johan Renck
    Written by: Michael Hirst

“Wrath of the Northmen” – Sunday, March 10 at 10 p.m.
    The stage is set for the first journey west by Ragnar Lothbrok as he gathers a crew willing to risk their lives to travel into the unknown. Earl Haraldson’s paranoia reaches new heights as it becomes apparent that trust is hard to come by in this dark era.

“Dispossessed” – Sunday, March 17 at 10 p.m.
    A monastery in Lindesfarne is about to get a firsthand look at how the Vikings operate. In and out in a flurry of violence and terror, Ragnar and his crew raid the monastery for everything it contains from treasure to monks who can be sold as slaves. Unable to ignore the riches this unsanctioned journey has returned, Earl Haraldson has no choice but to agree to let these warriors undertake a second trip out. The west has now been opened for the taking by Ragnar Lothbrok and the world of the Vikings will never be the same.

“Trial” – Sunday, March 24 at 10 p.m.
    The Vikings head back to England to see what other treasures this new world has to offer. This go round Ragnar and his crew sail out with Earl Haraldson’s permission….and also with Earl Haraldson’s spy. After bloodshed on the beach, the Vikings choose the Sabbath to invade the town of Hexam and unleash a flood of violence and panic. In the midst of the terror, Ragnar and Lagertha discover that there are consequences for every action and Earl Haraldson is always watching.
    Directed by: Ciaran Donnelly

“Raid” – Sunday, March 31 at 10 p.m.
    In the Great Hall of Kattegat, a seer reads Earl Haraldson’s future and tells him that Ragnar Lothbrok searches for his death. The unanswerable question is whom do the gods favor more? As a man willing to defend his power and status to the death, Haraldson intends to take precautionary measures. Ragnar, his home and farm burned by the Earl is hurt but hidden safely away. He must now choose the path that will lead him back to his freedom.

“Burial of the Dead” – Sunday, April 7 at 10 p.m.
    Ragnar, weak and still hurt, must meet the Earl head-on after it comes to light that Rollo has been tortured on Haraldson’s orders. The two men will come together face to face with a single outcome possible: Only one man will leave this fight alive.

“A King's Ransom” – Sunday, April 14 at 10 p.m.
    Three Viking ships sail upriver towards the very heart of power in eastern England: the Royal Villa of King Aelle. Ragnar Lothbrok has come looking for ransom in exchange for peace. However, King Aelle has a different plan in mind for these northern heathens.
    Directed by: Ken Girotti

“Sacrifice” – Sunday, April 21 at 10 p.m.
    The traditional pilgrimage to Uppsalla to thank the gods brings a torrent of emotions for Ragnar, Lagertha, and Athelstan. Ragnar, pulling farther away from his wife goes to make peace with the death of his unborn son. Lagertha, still reeling from her miscarriage, wants to find out from the gods if more sons are in her future. As the Vikings come together to sacrifice and give thanks to their gods, Athelstan discovers just how strong his Christian faith still is.

“All Change” – Sunday, April 28 at 10 p.m.
    At the behest of King Horik, Ragnar assembles a small party to travel to Gotaland (modern day Sweden) to resolve a land dispute with the area’s leader, Jarl Borg. Ragnar’s renown precedes him and Jarl Borg is intrigued – has he found a new ally or is Ragnar just a puppet of the king? Meanwhile in Kattegat, with a plague taking its toll on the village, the people look to Lagertha to help appease the gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Premieres tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Enjoyed this , wasn't action heavy and maybe could have done with being a two parter but , the acting , sets , accents and Fimmels magnetic gaze as Ragnar all served to make this history nut a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CATSEYES8787

Anybody knows any torrent link for Vikings?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tut tut you'll get in trouble for that

Anybody knows any torrent link for Vikings?

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doubt they had torrents back then, tbh.

Doubt they had torrents back then, tbh.

;) episode 2 is out there if anyone is interested........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Enjoyed this , wasn't action heavy and maybe could have done with being a two parter but , the acting , sets , accents and Fimmels magnetic gaze as Ragnar all served to make this history nut a happy man.
    I'm glad it's not doing mindless action for the sake of action. I enjoyed the first episode setting everything up and hope it sticks to the historical facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

;) episode 2 is out there if anyone is interested........
    ahem,where?:)

watched 2nd ep, i think i would liked for it to be more sparticius like, they seemd to mistake long pauses for good acting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm glad it's not doing mindless action for the sake of action. I enjoyed the first episode setting everything up and hope it sticks to the historical facts.

So am I , somebody complained on here that it was too slow and while its true their isn't much action in this opening episode but it certainly doesn't waste anytime setting up the conflicts that will drive the series ie. the tension between Ragnar and his Earl , the Earls lack of heir putting him in a vulnerable position and Ragnars brothers designs on his wife.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched the first ep. Was a bit slow but you kind of expect that from first episodes, they have to introduce everyone, set up the main stories etc.

Not sure about the accents to be honest. They all sounded South African to me, except Gabriel Byrne who just sounded like he always does!

I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it picks up. Viking history is so vast and interesting, it has such potential for great TV so I hope they don't wast the opportunity.

p.s. Ireland looks great! Even if it is the exact same locations that are used in every bloody thing filmed here. I saw a comment on Tumblr about the show saying it's increased their love for Scandinavia and how they really have to go there now after seeing how beautiful it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not sure about the accents to be honest. They all sounded South African to me, except Gabriel Byrne who just sounded like he always does!
    I immediately thought they sounded Finish.

2nd episode was good, Vikings really were awful bastards.

trying to remember where an anti-hero has done so much violence against a weaker group, usually we can cheer them on because they are going after a bigger bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I enjoyed it, I think it has potential. I wonder is Rollo based on "the" Rollo who was the forerunner of the Normans.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

watched episode 2 there, love it

Yes some of the stuff like mentioning east and naming Russia doesnt make sense but I quite like the actors and has the perfect amount of violence for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Regarding Russia I thought Russia was named after Swedish Vikings known as the Rus.
    They also mentioned England, is this show set pre or post Angle invasion of Britain?

• Advertisement

the monks could have put more of a fight

Advertisement