Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Identifying missing belt from engine of e46

Options
  • 14-03-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I Bought a 1999 bmw 318 e46 last week,i was told by the last owner that there was something wrong with the water pump and power steering,since driving the car I don't find anything wrong with the power steering but I cannot figure out why the car is overheating,since taking a look under the bonnet I discovered that there was belt missing from the engine,I am just wondering does this have anything to do with the car overheating.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

RWD wrote: »
    Can anyone identify the missing belt on my car.I Bought a 1999 bmw 318 e46 last week,i was told by the last owner that there was something wrong with the water pump and power steering.When I had a look under the bonnet in the daylight I noticed that there was a belt missing from the water pump area of the engine.I thing that the power steering belt or water pump pulley/tensioner is missing.Does anyone have any idea of what could be missing.Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Are you driving the car, if so you would know very quickly if the water pump belt was missing the carwould overheat, if power sterring was not working the steering would be very heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Throw up a photo, could be the belt that drives the waterpump!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Looks like the small power steering belt is not fitted, must be very hard to turn when shopped.

Looks like the main belt is there to drive the water pump etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭RWD

Looks like the small power steering belt is not fitted, must be very hard to turn when shopped.

Looks like the main belt is there to drive the water pump etc...

The car may need a belt and water pump,i'll have to compare the engine bay to another bmw as it looks as if there should be something between the rad and engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RWD wrote: »
    The car may need a belt and water pump,i'll have to compare the engine bay to another bmw as it looks as if there should be something between the rad and engine.

2 extra cylinders :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its looks like the AC pump and belt was removed. You can see the bracket for the AC pump on the bottom left of the block(as you look into the engine bay)

The water pump is being run by a belt which is still in place and there is nothing missing between the engine and the rad. The E36 had a large plastic cowling surrounding the viscous van but the E46 uses an electric fan so the space is empty.

Advertisement