Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible link central heating systems and soaring disease rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tonyroc

That's my point no solid fuel fire place only gas ,oil rad don't know anything about them but if no power what shops will be open and will they have stocks to supply so many people same applies gas bottles

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Ya you are. Light a fire. Buy a ol oil rad.

In cork we had power and gas. Many had no water but had plenty of gas and power.

Tell me what you would install for secondary heat that doesn't use power gas or water.

Maybe read post first oil rad needs electricity ?
    All houses should have multi fuel fireplace or stove

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

tonyroc wrote: »
    Maybe read post first oil rad needs electricity ?
    All houses should have multi fuel fireplace or stove

Sur if you were stuck you could use a superser and get a bottle of gas.

Its a very rare event that a house would have no gas and power for any length of time.

What about apartment's? Should everyone of them have a fire. Not possible

What about apartment's? Should everyone of them have a fire. Not possible

Average heat loss in house 25% attic apartment would retain more heat especially on lower floors ,the occupants would also be able to communicate with each other without exposing themselves elements .The main point is those in control have not done there job .i am not looking to cash in here I am just trying to highlight a few issues .most irish workers in trades spent years gaining experience and being shown by their boss's correct procedures and sharing there knowledge .Now we have guys checking people boilers for board gais who have no knowledge of plumbing but can get gas cert after a few weeks training if they can pay for courses .this is one of the many trades where this can happen and I personally think its wrong .This goes up the ladder architects were not controlled either and were allowed open and trade without having any practical experience some even had only done courses on Internet over weeks or months but because there was no set standard .Same applies to ministers Brian lenihan rip was a barrister what was he doing in charge of finance.By the way in case any of you think I am looking for plumbing work I am not a plumber but I have worked in conjunction with them over the years so I learned alot and was never afraid to ask questions . Since jan last year me and about ten other trades people are working on a "completed "50million project trying to rectify all the mistakes that were signed off on only 3 yrs ago by engineers and architects .some apartment doors can't even be opened hitting ground ,apartment waste pipe going into holes in ground .only discovered when back filled and leaked into apartment below .i could go on but main point is no one seems to be liable anymore I personly think anyone who signs off a project has to be liable because our life's and children's depend on proper enforcement .Now with people struggling to pay for houses that are not even safe to live in .People need to be informed if ther is a risk and the costs to fix mine € 40 in parts and basic knowledge of plumbing .If only 100000 house and apartments less than €20mil how much will it cost when 500,000 people start showing signs of illness ,I think looking at HPSC it is already happening .i need your help to try and get a scale of problem because I started working on sites at 15 I never completed school but don't be fooled into thinking I'm brain dead .i have taught my self from use of computers to working to most aspects of construction from tunnel work under the sea in Sydney for Phillp Holzmann to construction work as subcontractors with 5 lads in private residents the biggest of which is 15000sqfeet thats 15 semis. I believe work experience and common sense is worth more than any persons qualification if they have no hands on experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Is that you Willie?

oikster wrote: »
    Is that you Willie?

That's what she calls me aright .who's that?

if you cant heat a apartment the heat loss makes no differance.

if you cant heat a apartment the heat loss makes no differance.

i beg to differ if a house and a apartment have been heated to the same temp. say +20 and heating goes off it will take alot longer for the apartment to cool to outside temp. say -19.2 irish record
    heat loss through wall 35%
    heat loss through roof 25%
    draught 15%
    windows 10%
    floors 15%
    Terrace house 2 walls ,roof,draughts ,windows ,floor
    semi 3 wall,roof,draughts,windows,floor
    detached 4 walls ,roof,draught,windows,floor,
    detached cools quickest 4 walls
    most apartment max 2 walls,window,draughts,
    if ground floor ,floor but no roof
    if 1st floor no floor or roof
    if top story no floor loss only roof loss
    Body heat also factor apartment generally smaller area
    plus alot of apartments share common area without having to leave building so better chance of communicating with others without exposure to outside Temp
    whereas house one must open outside door letting in cold air to get or give help dropping temp further
    So in conclusion better chance of survival in apartment ,having said that not sure about time frame but with exposure i think every second counts
    I hope this makes sense and answers your post i knew answer but i just had to check the figures but give me a break pls i have to work as well i just made an assumption wrongly on my part that it was obvious .
    By the way went scoil na nog ,Glanmire ,won county under 14 medal when eleven with them, they said would send on medal still waiting ,

Several days without heating is the situation you described. If you cant heat a apartment and the day temperature doesnt go into plus temperatures, heat loss matters little if its freezing and you can't heat it.

And far as I know in the 2 years we had very low temps in cork we had no problems with power or gas. Water was the issue.

And even that it was a what 1 in 20 year event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

No offence tony but I'm finding it more and more difficult to follow you. I do understand the jist of why you are saying. But, briefly, what are you looking for exactly?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    No offence tony but I'm finding it more and more difficult to follow you. I do understand the jist of why you are saying. But, briefly, what are you looking for exactly?

sorry new to boards got sidetracked by a question
    I know i am right about plumbing theory i have a written report but one report is no good when going up against council and government,the head guy in fingal when pressed for estate names suddenly became vague, understandable wants to keep job,.So what i need are plumbers to come out and BACK my theory on the possibility of Public water main getting contaminated because of lack of regs and the use of inadequate valves and also give info on the amount of homes ,or public building exposed .
    I need someone with medical or science background to look at HPSC annual reports and give summary .As i said i have little formal education and need confirmation of increasing case numbers by academics.
    I am stumbling a bit just now because no real backing on these theories however no one has said or shown evidence to the contrary.
    I know i am maybe a bit extreme on possible contaminates as in kinds of bacteria.But where systems were never flushed anything is possible as far as i know.I need fluids tested to see exactly what's in them so i need science research professional to do this .I do not have the money or knowledge to know what to test for.
    This project has grown so much,it is to time consuming for one person who is also trying to earn a living and pay a mortgage .
    My lack of education which will and has been used against me in this matter should not be let overshadow or cloud the issue .Everyone thinks i must have an angle or am on the make but money for me means feck all.I left school at 15 private boarding school and took the world on ,it beat me a few times but i travelled the world ,and always lived life to the full .I drank from an early age and made a lot of mistakes but in January 2011 i checked into the Ruthland and discovered compassion and this combined with my lack of fear for authority compels me to stand up for those who maybe don't understand the risks they or their family's are being exposed to .Irish people have always been afraid to stand up for themselves and if this is not sorted out before meters go in ,the homes exposed will be ignored because only isolated cases will happen but for me ,people have a right to be fully protected and safe in their homes especially
    now with so many people struggling to pay for what might turn out to be their executioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Irish people have always been afraid to stand up for themselves .

Most Irish would say its because theyre easy going, while the rest of Europe would call them submissive, but Big brother never has a problem getting their pound of flesh from the Irish, as home owners are about to discover.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

To answer your question i don't know. In the HPSC reports they do not in most cases publish the exact mode of transmission. Legionellosis disease commonly found in heating systems are transmitted by showers. According to figures published by the EPA 4 outbreaks of e coli were confirmed as related to domestic plumbing system in 2011 .in 2007 Fingal council confirmed that it is possible for public mains to become infected by domestic systems http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/c...323621.html.In my estate all 64 house built around 2002 were incorrectly fitted completely ignoring the boiler instruction manual .

E. coli from the heating system? Did someone pooh in it first?
    With Legionella, 60 deg water will kill it, so only found where low water temperatures are allowed (or uninsulated attic tanks maybe)

I don't disagree with most of what your saying, but as a plumbing standard from NSAI looks to be in the offing, maybe you should chat with team (SR50 revised?)

DGOBS wrote: »
    E. coli from the heating system? Did someone pooh in it first?
    With Legionella, 60 deg water will kill it, so only found where low water temperatures are allowed (or uninsulated attic tanks maybe)

I don't disagree with most of what your saying, but as a plumbing standard from NSAI looks to be in the offing, maybe you should chat with team (SR50 revised?)

ecoli

your not a country boy then go into any field in the summer and look at a cow,horse,sheep, in cites horses,dogs,and cats pooh they will have one thing in common flies walking all over it, then same flies dies or walks in pipe,dung Beatle and other insects ,small rodents mice i have seen rats climb through a hole the size €2 coin ,alot of house built on agricultural land contaminated soil into pipe
    system filled but not flushed. http://www.nature.com/news/e-coli-strain-linked-to-cancer-in-mice-1.11211
    legionella this open my eyes
    http://www.accepta.com/environmental-water-wastewater-knowledge/legionella-legionnaires-disease-knowledge/281-legionnaires-disease-domestic-hot-water-systems

NSAI first of all would be very hard to get meeting and with overwhelming numbers i would be probably be laughed out of room.I would doubt if a review of up to date knowledge on the risks of back flow contamination would be high on agenda with cut backs and trying to implement regulations.Change takes time most of sr50 was first drafted in 2007 and part of it implemented in 2010.
    They are just finished a report on pyrite it was known about in the states 30 yrs ago
    even if regulations implemented the damage already done needs to be fixed first .
    householders need to be informed of dangers and mandatory inspections need to be carried out by fully trained plumbers who have been educated in possible risks associated with cross connections and back flow events and on proper valves to be used for same.And every flexible feed i have seen so far have never been disconnected

water-borne diseases ,look closely at leptospirosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases#Viral_infections

i don't know how long these can live in a system but from what i know about nature it always finds a way to evolve and adapt. so why take a chance if a low cost fix is possible remember even a brand new valve can have a fault or leak ,and if manual operated can be forgotten ,phone rings ,get distracted ,i once collapsed "back seized up" opening door of jeep could not move for 15 mins.There are to many risks evolved

i knew i seen it some where FLIES not only a carrier but an incubator

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/inf-da/fliesanddisease.pdf

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

So how did the flies, rats or mice climb into the 'sealed' or 'semi sealed' central heating system? Via the non return? More likely the water was contaminated at source before entering the heating system.

I am not a city boy, nor did I partake in trying to belittle you by suggesting something in your background, but this thread is certainly worthy of Hienbold, and maybe more than a bit OCD. (Lots of links too!!!)

Most contaminated water sources are from ill installed and/or maintained private wells (from cattle run off etc). The quality of your mains fed drinking water is continually checked for both micobiological and chemical contamination. EHOs continually call to houses to take samples for testing in this regard, it's part of the public health policy of our country.

You worry about this long list of bacteria, we are surrounded by it all day, how many children play in their back yards in the soil or stones and put hands to their mouths?

Your gut is full of bacteria, good and bad, your mouth is awash with them, your body covered in them.

The issue is more reducing our resistance to them with drugs, and sterile environments allowing disease,

Are you seriously suggesting we can get leprosy from heating water?

Most of that list is tropical waterborn problems.

• Advertisement

DGOBS i am sorry i did not in any way mean to belittle or offend you .I also assume you reference to OCD was not connected to my admission of alcohol addiction in an earlier post.I just put in links for backup in case people thought i was bullsxxing .
    Before a system fitted and sealed pipes will have been stored in factory ,transported from wherever maybe even overseas and if so could be stored again awaiting customs inspection .Then transported to shops where stored again transported to sites after purchase .Stored again awaiting fitting .Then first fixed and end sometimes taped till floors pored at this stage they are exposed to the elements sometimes for weeks .Till house built and finally filled and sealed .This whole process could take months or even years. I would find it very hard to believe that at sometime in this whole process that there could
    not at least be a possibility of exposure or ingress and secretion by insets such as bugs, flies,mice ,even the security dog takes a odd leak ,sometime soil gets in when pipe lying on ground beside trench's,
    personal hygiene might also be difficult to maintain on some sites ,hands when fitting ,blood from cuts
    So then system filled but NOT flushed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Before a system fitted and sealed pipes will have been stored in factory ,transported from wherever maybe even overseas and if so could be stored again awaiting customs inspection .Then transported to shops where stored again transported to sites after purchase .Stored again awaiting fitting .Then first fixed and end sometimes taped till floors pored at this stage they are exposed to the elements sometimes for weeks .Till house built and finally filled and sealed .This whole process could take months or even years. I would find it very hard to believe that at sometime in this whole process that there could not at least be a possibility of exposure or ingress and secretion by insets such as bugs, flies,mice ,even the security dog takes a odd leak ,sometime soil gets in when pipe lying on ground beside trench's,
    personal hygiene might also be difficult to maintain on some sites ,hands when fitting ,blood from cuts
    So then system filled but NOT flushed

I steam all my pipes before installing just after I put them under UV light for 24 hours to ensure they are safe.
    Force of habit really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

shane0007 wrote: »

I steam all my pipes before installing just after I put them under UV light for 24 hours to ensure they are safe.
    After I flush a new system I don't use fernox inhibitor. I use Milton, and I always wear gloves

I find the bit of hydrochloride acid does the job. Just dont leave for more than 5 mins or you wont have a system left.

Force of habit really....[/QUOTE

Dtp79 wrote: »
    After I flush a new system I don't use fernox inhibitor. I use Milton, and I always wear gloves

but do you think all the systems are flushed?
    not sure if any of you looked at links i posted about possible contaminates if you did were any of you surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Where is this thread going?

I have never known a central heating system to cause illness or death except cooling towers and air con that is poorly maintained.

Most heating system's operate with a temperature of between 70-80 degrees and this temp would kill most of if not all evil things.

look at the links i posted earlier
    it will take one hour you might even get a jump start on opposition don't forget €20,000,000
    and nobody to blame only government so your smiling if this goes public
    but it wont with out your support a thumb up will do
    and there always a chance i'm 100% rite

look at the links i posted earlier
    it will take one hour you might even get a jump start on opposition don't forget €20,000,000
    and nobody to blame only government so your smiling if this goes public
    but it wont with out your support a thumb up will do
    and there always a chance i'm 100% rite which will make a first

Look in all seriousness you have a valid point about backflow from auto filling valves. But your vastly over exaggerating the consequences. If what you sed was true plumbers would be the sickest trade around as we constantly in contact with that water.

Stick to the facts and people will take you alot more seriously. Start talking about plague bodys and getting leprosy from heating water and noone will take you seriously.

• Advertisement

Look in all seriousness you have a valid point about backflow from auto filling valves. But your vastly over exaggerating the consequences. If what you sed was true plumbers would be the sickest trade around as we constantly in contact with that water.

Stick to the facts and people will take you alot more seriously. Start talking about plague bodys and getting leprosy from heating water and noone will take you seriously.

the plauge maybe pushing it all right but i never mentioned leprosy.Just have a look at the link again on diseases please. leptospirosis is not leprosy its weils syndrome from rats pi#s a common danger to golfers

If i can get the plumbers here to admit and support my theory that public water main might be at risk from back flow .I was then going to ask admins or mods to link a revised version of this tread to science research Forum and let them figure out what could be in heating systems fluids.The scientific world are not aware of these cross connections of the two systems so tests will never be carried out.If main pressure drops even for a minute its possible for up to 60 gallons to back flow but when the mains pressure comes back on there will be no evidence of the source left .So if the scientific know this route of contamination is possible they may well find the source.Because at the moment they are in the dark.

Plumbers and most building workers plus farmers have strong immune systems because of constant contact with bacteria but most of the rest of population don't.One example of this India snake charmers can become immune to snake venom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement