Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Options
  • 01-03-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭

Source

Gary Oldman is joining Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, the Matt Reeves directed sequel to Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Jason Clarke and Kodi-Smit McPhee have already joined the cast. Oldman will play Dreyfus, leader of the human resistance after the apes have taken power. Fox has set the film for release on 23rd of May 2014

No word yet on Franco and Pinto's characters returning might have a brief cameo though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,331 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was hoping Dawn would be the movie where the Apes start their revolution, with humans still the dominant species on the planet at the start of the movie - or at least it would be a fairly even battle for power that the humans would eventually lose - from that synopsis it sounds like they have already succeeded. Disappointing, from my own perspective.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

was hoping Dawn would be the movie where the Apes start their revolution, with humans still the dominant species on the planet at the start of the movie - or at least it would be a fairly even battle for power that the humans would eventually lose - from that synopsis it sounds like they have already succeeded. Disappointing, from my own perspective.

I agree, would also have liked to see a bit of the community Cesar formed flourishing in the forest before any conflict starts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah that seems like too much of a leap, to go from a small enough group of apes in one city to ruling the earth? you could easily make a film entirely about the apes taking over not just jump however far into the future from the last film, guess they can do it in flashbacks or show how Caesar rallies the apes and takes over but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I agree, would also have liked to see a bit of the community Cesar formed flourishing in the forest before any conflict starts at all.

That'll probably just be told in a montage. I'd be happy to see the full story of the ape takeover too though!

Also, Gary Oldman FTW.

indeed - thought we would have seen Ceasar vs..... cant remember the 'evil' ape from the first movie. With supporters of ceasar providing the human sypathizers in the eventual freeing of humans.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

indeed - thought we would have seen Ceasar vs..... cant remember the 'evil' ape from the first movie. With supporters of ceasar providing the human sypathizers in the eventual freeing of humans.

Yeah thought that was very much foreshadowed at the end of the last one. It could still be a factor though of course. As long as Cesar remains the main character like he was in the first one I'll be happy enough.

I dunno why the original gets slated, I thought it was one of the more enjoyable blockbusters that year.

krudler wrote: »
    I dunno why the original gets slated, I thought it was one of the more enjoyable blockbusters that year.

don't remember it getting slated - i thought it was well received by critics and audiences.

don't remember it getting slated - i thought it was well received by critics and audiences.

I thought so too but anyone I know hated it, it was good by todays blockbuster standards, great effects in places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    I thought so too but anyone I know hated it, it was good by todays blockbuster standards, great effects in places too.

Original was brilliant because basically it was a brilliant commentary on class and race in contemporary America after that all the other sequels and remakes were bolloxolligy.

• Advertisement

Original was brilliant because basically it was a brilliant commentary on class and race in contemporary America after that all the other sequels and remakes were bolloxolligy.

Ah I meant the original as in Rise of.., the Heston one is great was never into the sequels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They introduced a fatal virus in the last one, which does go a huge ways towards explaining how the apes rise to power to begin with - I used to always wonder at the back of my mind how an earth apes overcame a human military armed to the teeth. The answer - they don't, really, said virus does most of the work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Keri Russell has now joined as well

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They introduced a fatal virus in the last one, which does go a huge ways towards explaining how the apes rise to power to begin with - I used to always wonder at the back of my mind how an earth apes overcame a human military armed to the teeth. The answer - they don't, really, said virus does most of the work for them.

I thought Rise did a very good job foreshadowing the 'virus wipes out the humans as opposed to an unlikely ape victory in an all out war'. I guess that's why the sequel is jumping to a world dominated by apes: the apes taking down humanity by means of military warfare would be too ludicrous - even for a film about super intelligent ape rebellion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The first was a great flick, hope they can keep it up with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Quiet enjoyed the one that came out a couple of years ago. Thought Caesar was em very believable and sympathetic (for a genetically modified super intelligent monkey). If this the new one is focusing on the human resistance after the simian revolution, then its quite a leap from the end of the other one. They surely could have made an interesting story regarding the Rise of the Apes with Caesar as the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I used to always wonder at the back of my mind how an earth apes overcame a human military armed to the teeth.

If you mean in the 1968 one, the human military nuked itself and everything else long ago, and the apes took over the post-apocalyptic ruins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

New trailer is out following last week's teaser. Doesn't reveal too much;

If you mean in the 1968 one, the human military nuked itself and everything else long ago, and the apes took over the post-apocalyptic ruins.

There was a prequel in 1973 called Battle of the Planet of the Apes that had Apes being used as slaves by an advanced human society. It also revolved around an ape called Caesar iirc. I suppose it could be seen as more a retcon than full on canon though.

Re: the trailer, looks very promising I have to say. Really enjoyed the first one, Caesar was a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I thin that looks brilliant imo, I enjoyed the first one as a good popcorn movie but this looks like it may step it up a level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Very excited about this and it's great to have a trailer that doesn't give everything away but still drags you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Trailer looks very good. I really hope they don't skip the actual world becoming the way it is in the film, and just go straight to the virus aftermath. Hate when films leave out or quickly skim across a timeline like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

With the current naming suppose the sequel will be simply called The Planet of the Apes and will be a full on remake of the 1968 original with the astronauts returning to a world changed.

2011: Rise of The Planet of the Apes

2014: Dawn of The Planet of the Apes

2017: The Planet of the Apes

This is one of the few reboots that has real-ish relevant creative potential/premise and I loved the thoughtful, slow build in the last one. The last one was very un-Hollywood, I hope we get something less predictable than the timeline I layed out above.

It was incredibly involving with the story of Caesar in the zoo, and there wasn't a human in sight for whole streches, that's the sign of a good movie. Rise reminded me of James Cameron in his T1/T2 days for some odd reason, perhaps the feeling of dread was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Trailer does look good, first one was a bit too slow but this one should be a belter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bit off topic, but the Planet of the Apes remake with Mark Wahlberg, has that been just ignored by these films? Its years since i saw it, but didnt he land in Washington, and he's all relieved to be back on Earth and then he sees the Abraham Lincoln monument but its an ape, and thats the "Oh crap" moment.

Did they just decide that was going to be too difficult to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Adamantium wrote: »

2017: The Planet of the Apes

very possible, in Rise the disappearance of a spacecraft was mentioned which harks back to the beginning of the original planet of the apes.

syklops wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but the Planet of the Apes remake with Mark Wahlberg, has that been just ignored by these films? Its years since i saw it, but didnt he land in Washington, and he's all relieved to be back on Earth and then he sees the Abraham Lincoln monument but its an ape, and thats the "Oh crap" moment.

Yeah it's definitely being ignored in terms of this series. I'm not even sure Tim Burton knew what was going on with that ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

syklops wrote: »

Yeah it's definitely being ignored in terms of this series. I'm not even sure Tim Burton knew what was going on with that ending.

That's how the original book ends. If anything, the burton/whalberg version is the most true to the book.
    The original film series is one of my favourites (with minor exceptions) with 1 & 3 (Escape) being level in terms of "Oh Crap". The third one was very low budget & centres around Cornelius & Zire coming back to modern day (1970s) Los Angeles on board Taylor's spacecraft which they've rebuilt.

Zire gives birth to Ceaser before being killed (along with her husband), Ceaser is then smuggled away in a circus & grows up too lead the Ape revolution.

The whole series comes full circle with the third one & gives way for it to continue.

If it wasn't for the humans coming forward in time, the apes would never have evolved. Absolutely brilliant movie. You could actually skip the second one & just watch these two back to back.

It had the lowest budget & made the most money (also happened with Star Trek 5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I loved the first movie. It was so much better than I was anticipating. A summer blockbuster with some intelligence and a CGI character that was both visually realistic and someone you could empathise and root for.

As for that teaser. Seeing Ceasar ready to sent out his troops in the rain with water dripping from his wet fur made the hair on my neck stand up. I don't normally go on about CGI, but in the first one when we meet Maurice, an orang-utan and Ceasar's confidante, I just couldn't believe it was CG. I was thinking to myself "Wow, the SFX guys have crossed the uncanny valley". Really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

New TV spot - short and sweet.

Advertisement