Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd prov licence help

Options
  • 20-02-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

My second learner permit expired in January and I need to apply for my third. As applying for the 3rd permit states you must have failed a driving test or have applied for a test I applied for my driving test today. However I may have to wait up to 6 weeks for a date for the test in order to then apply for my licence. Obviously in the waiting period I cannot drive to practice for my test so the test date will have to be cancelled eventually.
    I rang rsa who were not very helpful. Is there anyway to speed up this process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Put yourself on the cancellation list - you could get something within the week - they will text you and give some pre-warning of when the slot is coming up.
    Or send them a letter stating you need the licence for work reasons, I have heard that can speed up the process.
    For the price of a stamp its worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Could the testing centre give you a letter confirming that they've received your application and it's being processed? No harm to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I've the same problem at the moment, planning to do my bike test and need to renew what will be my third provisional. I booked a test and went to renew the licence, but under the new rules you cannot renew until you have a test date. So you get 28 days notice and head to get the licence renewed, takes two weeks if your lucky, then you have two weeks to do lessons and pass if your lucky, so obviously you have to cancel. The people in the tax office know its stupid, but they can't do anything about it! At present I am waiting for a date to renew mine, e-mailed the RSA a week ago but no response! I just hope I wont lose a test fee over all their fooling :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

I'm pretty sure you just need proof that you've booked the test!
    "Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years"

(even RSA have typo's :P ) But yeah I'm pretty sure you just need to show you've booked it. Sure send them proof anyway, and if they say thats not good enough then they'll tell you exactly what to do (hopefully)

TheJinMu wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you just need proof that you've booked the test!
    "Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years"

(even RSA have typo's :P ) But yeah I'm pretty sure you just need to show you've booked it. Sure send them proof anyway, and if they say thats not good enough then they'll tell you exactly what to do (hopefully)

No I was told in the tax office the letter isn't enough - I actually need a test date, so given processing times, I will probably then lose my test fee. I have e-mailed the RSA nearly two weeks ago, still waiting for a reply :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh. Poop... Call or e-mail them again,( if you call you might get someone more helpful this time round! hoepfully) there's no use waiting for them to reply. Did you put in for a cancellation test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I rang the day after I applied for my test online and she said she would put me on a list so I would be scheduled the next time people were being scheduled. The next day I got a test date. So sent in my application form with a copy of the email and now just waiting for my licence. Hopefully it will come soon and I can then cancel the test.

You'll lose you test fee then wont you? Surely it'd be better to just do it anyway once you have the provisional? Even just to see what you need to work on. Its a lot of money to lose!
    I hope it works out for you and arrives soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Redsox Rover

All you need is proof that you have applied for the test. I got my 3rd provisional in November 2012 with my test being in December 2012. You 100% only need evidence that the test has been applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

You'll lose you test fee then wont you? Surely it'd be better to just do it anyway once you have the provisional? Even just to see what you need to work on. Its a lot of money to lose!

No if you cancel with 10 days notice you get your money back. As per the website.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    I rang the day after I applied for my test online and she said she would put me on a list so I would be scheduled the next time people were being scheduled. The next day I got a test date. So sent in my application form with a copy of the email and now just waiting for my licence. Hopefully it will come soon and I can then cancel the test.

Ya I e-mailed, need to find the time and patience to ring soon I suppose! No sign of a test date for me after nearly a month.

If it's less than ten days you will, you only get 28 days notice and some licences are taking longer, so I cant cancel it until I get the licence back, because they could check the application is still active while renewing! I could then lose the fee completely, so hoping I won't end up in this situation.
    All you need is proof that you have applied for the test. I got my 3rd provisional in November 2012 with my test being in December 2012. You 100% only need evidence that the test has been applied for.

Ya I've had this provisional years and that's how it used to be, the new licences changed it. The people in the office know its stupid but nothing they can do about it!

Advertisement