Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hare Coursing

Options
  • 27-02-2013 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/animal-rights-group-urges-racecourse-to-stop-hosting-hare-coursing-586297.html

The Irish Council Against Blood Sports has urged Limerick Racecourse to stop hosting hare coursing.
    Irish Council Against Blood Sports said the event witnessed "horrific scenes of hares being mauled and battered by muzzled greyhounds".

WARNING: The article includes footage of hares being mauled.

So what do we think, cruel and should be banned? or acceptable?

Should hare coursing be banned? 268 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 268 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Zombienosh wrote: »
    WARNING: The article includes footage of hares being mauled.

As in proper fúcked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

indeed. I thought it was only a pikey thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If God didn't want them to be mauled he would've made them faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Acceptable,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Usual stone age bogger carry on, they'd be out badger baiting if we let 'em. They probably are anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a country thing.

I'm sure it's been banned in some places around the country, but obviously not all.

Bambi wrote: »
    Usual stone age bogger carry on, they'd be out badger baiting if we let 'em. They probably are anyway

Who is we, and what makes you a better person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Limerick, need we say more?

I don't get how any seemingly civilised person could get their jollies watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

cruel and unnecessary - or at least, I don't see the point to it when you can watch the dogs running after a mechanical rabbit and watch the mad march hares on the hills.

Who is we, and what makes you a better person?

Not watching a terrified animal get ripped apart for enjoyment makes Bambi a better person.

If it was done to a dog in a garden by one man with a knife we call it animal abuse and demand he be locked up.

If it's done to a hare on a racecourse by 50 men with dogs we call it sport and let it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Seachmall wrote: »
    Not watching a terrified animal get ripped apart for enjoyment makes Bambi a better person.

Someone didn't read the article, eh?
    How can a greyhound rip a hare to pieces if it's muzzled?
    From the article the hares were just mauled, so they got a few smacks off a few dogs, they all lived.

I've no probs with it, big deal it's some dogs chasing some hares and people gamble on it.

Someone didn't read the article, eh?
    How can a greyhound rip a hare to pieces if it's muzzled?

I've no probs with it, big deal it's some dogs chasing some hares and people gamble on it.

I'm sure the hare doesn't notice the muzzles when it's having a fatal heart attack trying to get away from the yokels and their dogs.

From the article the hares were just mauled, so they got a few smacks off a few dogs, they all lived.

You're right.

Here's a new sport: who can drop kick a rabbit the furthest?

Rabbits are a resilient bunch, they'll survive. It's a just a bit of fun anyway!

If it was done to a dog in a garden by one man with a knife we call it animal abuse and demand he be locked up.

If it's done to a hare on a racecourse by 50 men with dogs we call it sport and let it continue.

arrogant towny, of course when your sitting down to your roast chicken this sunday you can waffle on to your significant other about the terror of the hares but really- that chicken had a worse life than the hare, all for your pleasure
    boooo whooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

If the Hare is caught he is ripped to shreds by the dogs, and if he does not die instantly from shock/fear. His last moments on Earth are spent alone anguished and dying in unbreable agony. What a horrible undignifed way for any living creature to go.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm sure the hare doesn't notice the muzzles when it's having a fatal heart attack trying to get away from the yokels and their dogs.

Where exactly in the article did it say that?........Oh, it didn't.

You're right.!

I agree.
    Rabbits are a resilient bunch

Not really.

Wouldn't see the fun in humans kicking animals, this is just some muzzled dogs chasing hares. It's not even a blood sport as far as I'm concerned, as they aren't killed. They used to be, but that's been put to an end.
    Ava_e wrote: »
    If the Hare is caught he is ripped to shreds by the dogs
    Please explain how a hare is 'ripped to shreads' by a muzzled dog. It would seem if they cannot use their teeth then it's quite impossible. Enlighten me.

If the Hare is caught he is ripped to shreds by the dogs, and if he does not die instantly from shock/fear. His last moments on Earth are spent alone anguished and dying in unbreable agony. What a horrible undignifed way for any living creature to go.

More rubbish, jasus is there no end to the crap people come out with..

THEY ARE WEARING MUZZLES

Wouldn't see the fun in humans kicking animals, this is just some muzzled dogs chasing hares.

You don't need to see the fun in it.

I would, great laugh. And just as morally justifiable too.

arrogant towny, of course when your sitting down to your roast chicken this sunday you can waffle on to your significant other about the terror of the hares but really- that chicken had a worse life than the hare, all for your pleasure
    boooo whooooooooooooo
    I'm not a towny.

And I never said I'd a problem with killing animals for food. I think terrorising them for enjoyment is wrong though.

Where exactly in the article did it say that?........Oh, it didn't.

It's not in the article, so it doesn't happen?

Hilarious!

More rubbish, jasus is there no end to the crap people come out with..

THEY ARE WEARING MUZZLES

I've seen pictures of dogs having the muzzles removed after catching up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's a thorny issue. I disagree with bloodsports in general. The hounds are muzzled these days, but the hare is still under a considerable amount of stress.

One of the good things, though, is that the coursers have to take an active interest in the preservation of hares and their habitats if they wish to keep coursing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

boooo whooooooooooooo

How do you know what Seachmall eats? I eat meat, but I don't play with my food by getting dogs to chase it round a racecourse. I've no problem with hunting for food, or wearing animal skins, but enjoying the distress of a wild animal is disgusting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Muzzle the spectators and make them run - now that would be worth betting on.

Hares are still killed and maimed by muzzled dogs, and the cruelty to greyhounds is a whole other side of this disgusting pastime that needs highlighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I've seen pictures of dogs having the muzzles removed after catching up to them.

At a legally held event you've seen pictures of dogs having their muzzles removed so they could tear the hare to bits? I doubt that very much.

kylith wrote: »
    One of the good things, though, is that the coursers have to take an active interest in the preservation of hares and their habitats if they wish to keep coursing.

This is quite true and the hare populations in area's covered by coursing clubs are always stronger than when left to there own devises in area's were disease and poisin are not tackled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

@ Matt Tracker, I have see hare coursing where the animals are not muzzled.

They could have been some scumbag group with their own agenda ?. But the Hares when caught were torn to shreds.

starlings wrote: »
    How do you know what Seachmall eats? I eat meat, but I don't play with my food by getting dogs to chase it round a racecourse. I've no problem with hunting for food, or wearing animal skins, but enjoying the distress of a wild animal is disgusting to me.

Poor you, im sure the animals you eat are delighted that you actively oppose hare coursing on the internet.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's not in the article, so it doesn't happen?

Hilarious!

Oh it's side-splitting.
    Simple rule of debating, let me fill you in......if you're using an article as evidence for your claims, then it's best to have one that proves, or at least suggests, your claims. The article linked is so seen as the founding evidence, so that's what I was using.

Also, dogs must be muzzled in all legal events. If there are illegal events you know of where the dogs are not muzzled then you should report them to the authorities.

They could have been some scumbag group with their own agenda ?. But the Hares when caught were torn to shreds.
    Maybe you have, but from your posts I'm taking the liberty of not believing you. But as I say above, you should report them if you have seen unmuzzled dogs chasing hares. So please report them and then let us know how it goes.

Did you report this to the Garda?

• Advertisement

At a legally held event you've seen pictures of dogs having their muzzles removed so they could tear the hare to bits? I doubt that very much.

Perhaps not at this annual event in limerick but throughout the year and while training the dogs. I'm not coursers don't like having to use the muzzles or even care about muzzles or hares through out the rest of the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement