Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt question

Options
  • 19-02-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭

What's best practice here, low milage 30000km's but six year old, change belt or wait until it's due km's wise, just wondering?

Some manufacturers / main dealers would say 50k or five years whichever comes first but wondering if that's just a ruse to get low milage cars in for work that's not actually needed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

What's best practice here, low milage 30000km's but six year old, change belt or wait until it's due km's wise, just wondering?

Some manufacturers / main dealers would say 50k or five years whichever comes first but wondering if that's just a ruse to get low milage cars in for work that's not actually needed

Whats the car?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

renofan wrote: »
    Whats the car?!!

Well, it was in relation to the wifes car, 05 megane, it was a couple of years ago, didn't have 50k on the clock at the time but dealer said 50k or five years whichever came first, was in for another issue at the time but was due a service so got both done anyway

Indy I know says 'waffle' go by km's not age, just wondering generally

Why does car matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Well, it was in relation to the wifes car, 05 megane, it was a couple of years ago, didn't have 50k on the clock at the time but dealer said 50k or five years whichever came first, was in for another issue at the time but was due a service so got both done anyway

Why does car matter?

Because manufactures recommend intervals that usually differ from each other. My wife's Focus is recommended every 100k kms or 8 years. My Laguna is 70k miles or 5 years etc.

I'd be inclined to disagree with your mechanic. An older car with low mileage indicates a lot of short journeys which is not the best for a timing belt so in that case I'd be changing it after a set number of years and not waiting for the mileage to clock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

50 000 km or 5 years - that's because timing belt's compounds (especially rubber) gets older even if no miles have been driven. ;)

OP - better safe than sorry, change it.

joujoujou wrote: »
    better safe than sorry, change it.

Did that at the time, always just wondered whether dealer was pulling a fast one or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'd be looking for a new indy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Why does car matter?
    Your indy is talking waffle himself.
    A belt should be changed according to manufactures specifications. The reason why knowing the type of car matters is because each manufacturer specifies different mileage/time to replace the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For instance Alfa Romeo changed their timing belt intervals from 72K to 36K (or 3 years, whichever's first) because belts were snapping and damaging the cars.
    I think Megane is 75K but you better check the owner's manual. It's the only way to be sure.

Mileage and years both play a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Why does car matter?

Your Indy guy clearly has no knowledge or training on the subject.

Timing belt rubber degrades over time, as with all rubber so this is why the age of the belt is every bit as important as how much mileage it has on it.

Car is important as every manufacturer has different scheduals for belt changes due to engine design, belt construction etc.

And knowing the type of car also allows specific advice to be give, such as on your megane the water pumps are extremely prone to leaking, and coolant getting the belt will reduce its life.

That's all good info lads but when does "an indy I know" all of a sudden become "my indy" :)

My indy doesn't do Saturdays unfortunately (must make enough during the week) so I was in with another to get a diagnosis on something else, which he seems to have diagnosed correctly, so just asked him the question while chatting because I wasn't 100% sure that the main dealer gave me the correct advice at the time but it seems he did, so that's fair enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement