Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mumblecore alert, "Safety Not Guaranteed" just added to US Flix:

Got decent enough reviews so gonna stick it on later.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    ^^Nice, had a feeling that would be added soon. Its a more traditional indie romance than a straight up mumblecore movie imo though. Its a great little movie and I will be giving it a re-watch soon.

Speaking of mumblecore I gave Baghead a look on Canadian Netflix today. It was reasonably funny and the self aware aspect of it was well done. I enjoyed it but I think I liked The Puffy Chair more. I think the Duplass brothers are better at depicting relationships and human interaction than the whole satirical/meta approach they went with here. Still a decent movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Watched 'A Lonely Place To Die' on the Canadian Netflix earlier - very entertaining low budget thriller.

Anyone know if season 2 of The US 'The Killing' is on any of the Netflixs? It seems odd that it hasn't been added to the US one as it ended ages ago and Netflix are involved in producing season 3 with AMC. I checked on 'moreflicks.com and it shows up that S2 is on the Swedish Netflix but when I went on they only had S1.

On another note is there anyway to turn subtitles off on the Mexican/Brazilian/Swedish etc Netflixs. Appears to only give options of different languages and not one to switch it off which is very annoying. Cheers.

SB-08 wrote: »
    Watched 'A Lonely Place To Die' on the Canadian Netflix earlier - very entertaining low budget thriller.

Anyone know if season 2 of The US 'The Killing' is on any of the Netflixs? It seems odd that it hasn't been added to the US one as it ended ages ago and Netflix are involved in producing season 3 with AMC. I checked on 'moreflicks.com and it shows up that S2 is on the Swedish Netflix but when I went on they only had S1.

On another note is there anyway to turn subtitles off on the Mexican/Brazilian/Swedish etc Netflixs. Appears to only give options of different languages and not one to switch it off which is very annoying. Cheers.

In general no, most titles don't have the option to switch them off completely, but on a few of the titles there is that option for some reason.

SB-08 wrote: »

The Killing Season 2 is being added soon. I think that there was some issue with it but that it was being sorted out.

As for subtitles, a lot of the films and shows on Mexico, Swedan, etc have hard coded subs so you can't turn them off. It's annoying as hell as there are some films I'd like to watch on the Mexican one but the English subs are just distracting. What I find even more irritating is that a lot of great Swedish, Danish, Mexican, etc films are on the various stores but no English subs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mumblecore alert, "Safety Not Guaranteed" just added to US Flix:

It's great, but it's not mumblecore ;)

Also, anyone looking for something different could do much worse than the Canadian series Slings & Arrows, also on US Netflix. The AV Club are doing a weekly run through of the show, and its proving to be a funny, offbeat comedy-drama about the various personalities involved in a Shakespeare festival. Imagine a higher class Glee without the **** music and annoying high schoolers and you'd be in an adjacent ballpark.

Oh, and there's a ghost involved too!

The Killing Season 2 is being added soon. I think that there was some issue with it but that it was being sorted out.

As for subtitles, a lot of the films and shows on Mexico, Swedan, etc have hard coded subs so you can't turn them off. It's annoying as hell as there are some films I'd like to watch on the Mexican one but the English subs are just distracting. What I find even more irritating is that a lot of great Swedish, Danish, Mexican, etc films are on the various stores but no English subs.

They aren't "burnt in" as such as you can choose between Spanish and Portuguese on the Brazilian one for instance, so the option to switch off could have been provided.

They aren't "burnt in" as such as you can choose between Spanish and Portuguese on the Brazilian one for instance, so the option to switch off could have been provided.

A few of films do have burnt in subs. It's one of my pet hates as it would be so easy to off a sub less version. While nothing to do with Netflix a number of Blu-Rays have came with hardcoded subs which is all well and dandy as they are foreign films but to me it always seems pointless

A few of films do have burnt in subs. It's one of my pet hates as it would be so easy to off a sub less version. While nothing to do with Netflix a number of Blu-Rays have came with hardcoded subs which is all well and dandy as they are foreign films but to me it always seems pointless

Yeah some of them do alright I meant that there are lots with a choice of languages but no option to switch them off, a lot of those burnt in only ones are older films where there probably wasn't a textless international version available to sub them selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Heh

too-true-27.jpg?w=500&h=211

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Heh

Hah, I often sit down to watch a film only to end up watching whatever TV show I've been making my way through instead.

Heh

I have to admit sometimes I have good intentions to watch a worthy film on it like recently with "Turin Horse" and end up watching a couple of episodes of Cheers or Frasier :D

It's too easy to lash on stuff like Archer or Arrested Development instead of going through movies I should have watched long before now. I keep meaning to watch Ran, never get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I always convince myself that once I get through Archer, Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny..., The Office (US) and Breaking Bad I'll have time to begin browsing all the more challenging, highbrow material available, but it's those damn Netflix executives, buying one quality show after another, if only they'd slip up once, just once; but they won't let me live, krudler, why won't they let me live?!?

It's too easy to lash on stuff like Archer or Arrested Development instead of going through movies I should have watched long before now. I keep meaning to watch Ran, never get round to it.

Yeah and even if i do watch a film I always end up going for something 90 minutes or under because "I'm not in the mood" for something heavy. Been meaning to watch Ran for ages too.

Also, season 8 of It's Always Sunny.....is getting added on Monday. Oh well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the interface doesnt help, its horrible to use. theyve concentrated too much on making it look snazzy and as a result it has piss poor functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I agree. There should be a way to save stuff to watch later. Maybe there is and I just haven't found it? Seems like such an obvious feature to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah and even if i do watch a film I always end up going for something 90 minutes or under because "I'm not in the mood" for something heavy. Been meaning to watch Ran for ages too.

Also, season 8 of It's Always Sunny.....is getting added on Monday. Oh well :D

Ran is amazing. An incredible piece of film making. It's very long, but it's a masterpiece if you stick with it. I wish there was more Kurosawa on there. But I totally get what you mean. I saw it about 20 years ago. There's some films on Netflix I'd like to see, but not being in the humour for a long heavy movie has put me off watching them. So I've watched a bunch of 20 or 30 minute sitcoms.
    Somebody mentioned Arrested Development. I'd never seen it before Netflix. How the hell did I miss that? I watched the whole thing in about 2 weeks, brilliant. Perfect if you to watch something, but something short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Somebody mentioned Arrested Development. I'd never seen it before Netflix. How the hell did I miss that? I watched the whole thing in about 2 weeks, brilliant. Perfect if you to watch something, but something short.

Yeah it's amazing. You know Netflix are bringing it back this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrested_Development_%28season_4%29

Watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" last night, very enjoyable little film and I'm glad they didnt
    show them going back to 2001
    Better just to use your imagination, only criticism would be the young ones performance, thought she was a pretty bad actress. I also noticed that they've changed the way the picture quality is displayed, it now has 480SD, 720HD and a really impressive 1080HD when you check it on PS3, virtually indistinguishable from Blu Ray at 1080 to my eyes :).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is on UK Netflix. As far as I know this has been hard to find and the only available version was the excellent Criterion release.

A terrific, low-key crime film with Robert Mitchum and a load of other great 1970’s faces – Alex Rocco, Peter Boyle and others. Based on a book by George Higgins, the same guy who wrote the book that the excellent Killing Them Softly was based on.

It’s beautifully filmed (Boston looks delightfully scuzzy) and directed with a really light touch by Peter Yates. A great example of 70’s film-making, cliché and all as it is to say it but they don’t make them like this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hah, I often sit down to watch a film only to end up watching whatever TV show I've been making my way through instead.

I'm the very same, nearly always end up watching 2 hours of Its always sunny rather than a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I often find a movie and start it running through the opening credits to remind me later to watch it only for my wife to browse the kids section for our daughter and have it replaced by Barney or curious George...grrrr.

sweetie wrote: »
    I often find a movie and start it running through the opening credits to remind me later to watch it only for my wife to browse the kids section for our daughter and have it replaced by Barney or curious George...grrrr.

Ha I do the same just so it shows on the recently watched, really wish there was a mark for later viewing option or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes on Canadian Netflix last night. I really enjoyed it, nothing mind blowing but an entertaining way to spend just under 2 hours.
    I also noticed that they've changed the way the picture quality is displayed, it now has 480SD, 720HD and a really impressive 1080HD when you check it on PS3, virtually indistinguishable from Blu Ray at 1080 to my eyes :).

Noticed this myself, and it actually goes beyond 1080HD to 1080 SuperHD (god knows what the difference is though if they're the same resolution!). It's pretty great quality alright but with certain titles there definitely is a noticeable difference imo between streaming and Bluray, namely the Planet Earth and Life documentary series.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

sweetie wrote: »

Apparently Netflix are trying out the option to have multiple profiles on a single account. It could keep recommendations & queues separate for each user profile. They're testing it with a number of PC users in the States, hopefully they'll roll it out to all users in the near future.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Noticed this myself, and it actually goes beyond 1080HD to 1080 SuperHD (god knows what the difference is though if they're the same resolution!). It's pretty great quality alright but with certain titles there definitely is a noticeable difference imo between streaming and Bluray, namely the Planet Earth and Life documentary series.

Oh yeah got the 1080 SuperHD too, you're right though on a second closer look whilst the overall picture is similar to Blu Ray quality, on some colours (dark greens/greys for some reason) there are some artifacts, still though its very impressive overall. Apparently though their 1080 feed only requires 7mbs net speed:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024447/netflix-offers-super-hd-streaming-to-cablevision-gogle-fiber-users.html

Blu Rays are around 25 - 30mbs so it won't really match them yet, though with BB speeds of 50mb and beyond becoming more commonplace no doubt a full "1080HD" service from them will be possible in a few years or earlier, still, whatever codec they are using now is providing outstanding quality at 7mb streaming rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" last night, very enjoyable little film and I'm glad they didnt
    show them going back to 2001
    Better just to use your imagination, only criticism would be the young ones performance, thought she was a pretty bad actress. I also noticed that they've changed the way the picture quality is displayed, it now has 480SD, 720HD and a really impressive 1080HD when you check it on PS3, virtually indistinguishable from Blu Ray at 1080 to my eyes :).

Yeah just finished 'Safety Not Guaranteed' and really enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of the Michael Douglas film 'King Of California'. It only being 85 minutes long as a bonus too as I'm getting sick of really long films recently.

Super HD is great. Use a Panasonic BluRay player to play Netflix and but I can't see where you can check the quality on it like you say can be done with the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Just finished watching House of Cards and it's fair to say I was blown away by it. Was not expecting it to be great at all but I thought it was fantastic. The constant progression in the show never leaves you bored, Spacey fits the role perfectly and just the general storyline is brilliant! It's one political show that I actually liked and there's was no american cheesiness to put me off it, which is one thing I absolutely hate in highprofile american tv shows.

As for films, I watched two similar films recently and both were great picks by me if I do say so myself.

"The Experiment" is an extremely thought-provoking film that really got to me somehow and despite being a bit weird as far as the storyline goes it was very interesting.

The exact same can be said about a German film I just watched called "The Wave". If you're a fan of thoughtprovoking deep meaningful films, espeically on human behaviour I'd suggest watching them. Not only that but they are very interesting anyway even if youre not a fan of thinking about what you're watching :pac:

House of Cards anyway, one of the few 5 stars shows on netflix. Up there with Breaking Bad imo and I've seen a lot of the series on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Im nearly finished it and the guy who plays Peter Russo is outstanding. Best tv show of the year by far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement