Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral clothes, eek.

Options
  • 12-02-2013 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

This is a pretty specific one, so apologies in advance.

A family member is going to die within the next 24 hours or so, extremely sudden. I need to find appropriate funeral attire.

I've been told to get either a skirt and top or a dress. The specifications are - few inches below the knee in length, long sleeves, high neck, in black or a very dark colour. My family are extremely traditional, just my luck. :pac:

I'm a size 14 with a small waist in comparison to my massive arse and chest. So, any idea of a bricks and mortar store that would have anything that'd suit the specifications without making me look like a bin-bag? Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suite16

Esoteric_ wrote: »

I've been told to get either a skirt and top or a dress. The specifications are - few inches below the knee in length, long sleeves, high neck, in black or a very dark colour. My family are extremely traditional, just my luck. :pac:

Sorry for your imminent loss.
    I suggest a dress, as it's less hassle than two pieces. They have nice dresses like this in Next at the moment which are belted, so you can draw in the waist.
    http://www.next.co.uk/x5160s3#138339x51

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm very sorry to hear about your relative.

When I was back in Ireland for a wedding last year I discovered that the dress I had ordered didn't fit me one bit, and the bride, who is a milliner had made me a hat to match it. Cue lots of running around different high street shops looking for something that would fit (I am also a size 14) and would match the hat. I had no luck, even just looking for something suitable that would fit, and was about to give up when I went to TK Maxx. They had a huge selection of suitable dresses in my size and in black and grey, just like my hat. If you get stuck, try there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks ladies, for both the suggestions and the condolences. Much appreciated. I'm being told to wear long sleeves, but could always get a blazer if I get a dress like the one posted. Hmm. Thanks again. :)

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I'd say your best bet is Dunnes. Office skirt + boatneck top with a cardigan, plus modest black heels/flats.

Edit: Oops, I wrote that a while before I clicked submit - that dress suite16 posted is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hi there - sorry to hear about your relative. I've had a few funerals in the past few weeks so can give you some good tips.

If you're going to be in the funeral home with the family it can be quite cold so the first thing I would root out is a dark coat and scarf. Comfortable shoes are also a must if you will be standing for a few hours and also for the next day if you have to go to the burial at the grave.

Anything respectable will do really - don't wear anything that stands out. I wore dresses both days - just ones that I wear for work. If you have a nice coat on you can get away with a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 suite16

Thanks ladies, for both the suggestions and the condolences. Much appreciated. I'm being told to wear long sleeves, but could always get a blazer if I get a dress like the one posted. Hmm. Thanks again. :)

I would either wear a long-sleeved blouse under that Next dress, or else a long-sleeved t-shirt top (you know the stretch kind that they sell in Dunnes?). You could wear a cardigan on top if you were chilly, or just put your warm coat and scarf on for the time you're spending outside.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry to hear about your relative OP.

I'd to deal with a funeral recently and OH's daughter needed clothes.

Pennys had a few black coats which were reasonably priced, and looked well for the couple of days she needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Got sorted in the end. I happened to spot a dress similar to the Next one (but slightly more my own style, as I felt the Next one was a little bit too 'mature' for me :pac: ), which suited me and was in my size, in a shop next to wear I work. Success. Got a short black fitted blazer, a waist belt and black heels so I think I'm sorted now.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm a size 14 with a small waist in comparison to my massive arse and chest.

Not to make light of your sad situation, OP, but your phrasing here made me smile. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement