Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Pays €60 Motor Tax Fine With 6,000 1c Coins

Options
  • 06-02-2013 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Legend!
    One unfortunate driver was fined for not having his tax displayed while paying for it in the tax office, so decided to stump up in an unusual way.

Daniel Farrell in Tralee who was in the tax office paying for his disc when he returned to find a fine for not having the correct tax disc on his car.

Daniel was understandably a little miffed to find the traffic warden issuing a €60 fine, so he decided to seek revenge in his own little way. He went to the bank and got the €60 in one cents coins to pay for the fine. As he said himself, it may have been meaningless, but gave him some degree of satisfaction.

http://joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/kerry-driver-pays-his-tax-fine-in-one-cent-coins-6000-of-them-0033747-1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

He's a moron. If he was in paying his tax he could have appealed the fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

My dream has been made into reality!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They're under no obligation to accept that many coins I believe. Other than banks, places don't have to accept more than 50 coins in one transaction or something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

In before "think of the people working in the tax office" army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

pmcmahon wrote: »
    In before "think of the people working in the tax office" army.
    Yep, he was being a dick to them. Shooting the messenger is what lazy ***** do.

The support for bullying people dealing with the public is staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone else think he was childish doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Superb, fair play to him. Have to cough up a 500 euro fine for non payment of a speeding ticket next week.........hmmmmmmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

smash wrote: »
    He's a moron. If he was in paying his tax he could have appealed the fine!
    You're wrong. His car was parked in a public car park with no valid tax disc. Even if he had taxed it before the fine was issued, he would still be done for non display of a valid tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

vektarman wrote: »

Yup. Think it was very childish of him to do.
    Absolutely no point other than "I'll make other customers wait"

You're wrong. His car was parked in a public car park with no valid tax disc. Even if he had taxed it before the fine was issued, he would still be done for non display of a valid tax disc.
    And you can still appeal it. I've done it in the past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yep, he was being a dick to them. Shooting the messenger is what lazy ***** do.

The support for bullying people dealing with the public is staggering.

All hail our public service overlords

And what would you base his appeal on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Joe.ie is a website for spastics. So's Her.ie.

"Hey lads. Shifting, right? Gettin' the shift, eh? Remember Glenroe? Biddy, eh? Teasy? Mayo jersey in Sydney, eh? Mad bastards, shleppin' spuds."

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

vektarman wrote: »

How could a child have a car, and 60 quid to spare?

And what would you base his appeal on?
    The fact that he was in the office taxing the car, which has now been paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

They're under no obligation to accept that many coins I believe. Other than banks, places don't have to accept more than 50 coins in one transaction or something.

Correct.

What is the maximum number of euro coins that a shop is obliged to accept in any single transaction?

The following is an extract from the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:
    “10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

Yeh and it wasn't the fault of the clerk behind the desk, so he was being a bully.

Doesn't matter. There wasn't a valid tax disc on his windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Most appeals are not successful when it comes to non displaying of tax, unless the car has been recently purchased and the owner is waiting for the log book.

With regards to paying in a massive amount of 1c well that is why they have coin weighing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Yeah but the fine isn't for not having tax its for not displaying a tax disk, got caught myself yesterday the exact same way but there's no way out of it. Still trying to think up my petty revenge tho :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Yeh and it wasn't the fault of the clerk behind the desk, so he was being a bully.
    A bully? Paying a fine makes him a bully?
    God love you.

Doesn't matter. There wasn't a valid tax disc on his windscreen.
    Because he was in buying it. Which he did, so he could have appealed on that basis but he didn't.

At the end of the day he's a complete dick!

A bully?

My God you must be very precious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

xLexie wrote: »
    God love you.

He's not a bully but he paid it passive aggressively, with the aim of making it extremely inconvenient for the innocent person behind the counter to process it. So he is a wanker.

xLexie wrote: »
    God love you.
    God love YOU for thinking that maliciously handing over 6,000 1 cent coins to a clerk who did nothing to him, is just "paying a fine". But of course you don't, you're just being obtuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Joe.ie is a website for spastics.

Couldn't agree more. A website for thick generic "lads". Football, beer, cars, steak, tits, ben sherman shirts, gay jokes, wey hey!!

Couldn't agree more. A website for thick generic "lads". Football, beer, cars, steak, tits, ben sherman shirts, gay jokes, wey hey!!
    wey hey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It is legal tender I see no issue. Maybe if government bodies paid their own bills on time there wouldn't be some companies going out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It didn't happen. A picture of coins does not make it reality.

Advertisement