Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless Bus Lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

seanmacc wrote: »
    The one on the N32 from Clare Hall/Northern Cross to the M1/M50. Since the AerDart went kaput there hasn't been a bus using it. To be fair the bus lane signs are taken down and the road markings haven't been touched up (although not erased either) but the amount of people who treat it as a bus lane is ridiculous.

The poor old N32 bus lane. It's still marked, if you can call this marked..... http://goo.gl/maps/Fw87Z The reason it still exists (albeit with no signage) is because it is stuck in a limbo. Because the road is a national road, it must have a hard shoulder if there is no bus lane. Removing the bus lane and putting in a hard shoulder results in the loss of 50% of the potential lanes. The problem is that the vast majority of people have a complete phobia about driving in the left lane. This means that most people drive in the overtaking lane. As it's quite a long stretch of road, it only takes one slow driver in the overtaking lane to hold everything up. However, this leads to a huge amount of people overtaking on the inside lane. Although you technically have a driving lane and an overtaking lane, for this particular road you can call the driving lane the fast lane and the overtaking lane the slow lane!
    Why can't the council just put a tiny little hard shoulder at the edge, just to conform with the rules? Like this random one I picked from the N81: http://goo.gl/maps/TBo68 That way, there is technically a hard shoulder, there are 2 lanes in each direction and (hopefully) people will use the lanes correctly, at least more so than at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

highdef wrote: »
    The poor old N32 bus lane. It's still marked, if you can call this marked..... http://goo.gl/maps/Fw87Z The reason it still exists (albeit with no signage) is because it is stuck in a limbo. Because the road is a national road, it must have a hard shoulder if there is no bus lane.

I'm fairly sure that's not true. Motorways are required to have hard shoulders but national roads are not. In fact, I can think of countless national roads that have no hard shoulder.

I'd imagine it's more down to laziness - it's not causing a problem so no-one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

seanmacc wrote: »
    The one on the N32 from Clare Hall/Northern Cross to the M1/M50. Since the AerDart went kaput there hasn't been a bus using it. To be fair the bus lane signs are taken down and the road markings haven't been touched up (although not erased either) but the amount of people who treat it as a bus lane is ridiculous.

I was always unsure about that road! So its defo not a bus lane anymore?

The road is only 60kph which is a joke as well.

So many people come through the roundabout at beweleys thinking its still the motorway, never happened to myself but I've seen the guards there pulling people over numerous times. I reckon they sit there on purpose as there isn't massive signage up telling you its the end of the motorway...

dorkacle wrote: »
    I reckon they sit there on purpose as there isn't massive signage up telling you its the end of the motorway...

Ah here - there's a giant green gantry sign saying N32 and a regular green sign saying N32. Also the lack of hard shoulder and dividing median really should give it away. Granted, the end of motorway sign seems to be missing (I presume it was re-instate after the roadworks but I can't remember) so you might have a point :)

markpb wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that's not true. Motorways are required to have hard shoulders but national roads are not. In fact, I can think of countless national roads that have no hard shoulder.

I'd imagine it's more down to laziness - it's not causing a problem so no-one cares.

Well there could be some errors in my comments but I remember when the N32 first opened, there was a large hard shoulder and no bus lane. You can still see the remnants of the old road markings along parts of the "bus lane". This was then replaced with the bus lane. When the Aer Dart ceased operations, the bus lane became defunct. I remember reading that the council had said that if the bus lane was to be removed, the hard shoulder MUST be re-instated.

dorkacle, there are green signs on the approach to this road and 60kmh speed limit signs as well. If anyone still thinks they are on a motorway after seeing and passing these signs, they need their licence removed from them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The N32 was detrunked lately, so isn't a national route anymore, or actually called the N32.

The speed limit is a joke though. Everyone does 80,except when the Gardai are hiding in the bushes.

Oh I didn't know that. openstreetmap and OSI need to update to whatever it is called now....plus road signage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Talking of bus lanes, is there any enforcement by the Gardai anymore? I drive in the N3/Navan Road every day (not using the bus lanes by the way) and I don't think I've ever seen anyone enforcing them and a load of cars always speed along up them.

I actually got stung on Mount Merrion Avenue recently (part of my motivation for starting this thread :o)

No complaints at all about paying up, caught fair and square but it did get me thinking on the matter. I still think that by and large bus lanes do work well.

It's just frustrating that dwell times are so long and for me this erodes the values of the lanes somewhat. It's a pity that leap cards still mean we have to have a conversation with the driver.

In any case, I do drive in some bus lanes where I know they are ending shortly and I am going straight or turning left, this one being a prime example, I constantly drive in this lane as I am going striaght and the normal becomes a right turning lane up ahead and is always backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Personally I think the 17a should come up past donaghmede shopping centre and then run via the n32 to the airport.

This would give a link to the airport for blanchardstown, finglas, ballymun, coolock, and people from the malahide road - a good spread from the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

dorkacle wrote: »
    I was always unsure about that road! So its defo not a bus lane anymore?

The road is only 60kph which is a joke as well.

So many people come through the roundabout at beweleys thinking its still the motorway, never happened to myself but I've seen the guards there pulling people over numerous times. I reckon they sit there on purpose as there isn't massive signage up telling you its the end of the motorway...

I concur with markpb on this one. I don't think any stretch of motorway in the world has a roundabout on it (except for off it, up to it or above it). As such, I'm finding it difficult to sympathize with motorists who get pulled over because they can't tell the difference between motorways and standard roads. They shouldn't be doing 60 through a roundabout in the first place as they are meant to be negotiated with caution. In any case, the roundabout at Bewley's should have been a dead giveaway that they no longer on the motorway.

• Advertisement

I concur with markpb on this one. I don't think any stretch of motorway in the world has a roundabout on it (except for off it, up to it or above it). As such, I'm finding it difficult to sympathize with motorists who get pulled over because they can't tell the difference between motorways and standard roads. They shouldn't be doing 60 through a roundabout in the first place as they are meant to be negotiated with caution. In any case, the roundabout at Bewley's should have been a dead giveaway that they no longer on the motorway.

Agreed, always see the cops here and you are guaranteed to have other cars up your hole as you come off at that exit. I don't know what it is...that roundabout is incredibly dangerous as a result and now especially that they have added pedestrian lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I reckon they sit there on purpose as there isn't massive signage up telling you its the end of the motorway...

Exactly how massive does the signage have to be, is this not enough.

I don't think any stretch of motorway in the world has a roundabout on it

We in Armagh have had a jolly good try to break this record

New traffic lights at the roundabout? Where? I passed this road only yesterday and there were only lights at Clonshaugh Lane. I must be getting very unobservant!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

http://goo.gl/maps/CUOxX - not so much a pointless bus lane as the 44 and 114 use it a bit, but the overall layout of this road and the timing of lights at Clonard Road can be a mess on weekday mornings.

The lights further on at Clonard Road can be ridiculously slow causing tailbacks which go back past the central bank and cars continue on queuing a long way into the bus lane. It ends up with the normal lane being quicker, so by taking that you pass out all the queuing cars, leading on to cranky drivers about you cutting in at the end?!? and then you end up blocking all the cars trying to turn right.

highdef wrote: »
    New traffic lights at the roundabout? Where? I passed this road only yesterday and there were only lights at Clonshaugh Lane. I must be getting very unobservant!

Sorry, I'm actually thinking of the roundabout further down past bewleys, the one the luas goes over.

keith16 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm actually thinking of the roundabout further down past bewleys, the one the luas goes over.

I think you guys are talking at different Bewleys at opposite ends of the city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I suppose you are all right, I forgot about the big green sign :o
    I drive through so often I don't even look at it anymore, its second nature ha!

And I always observe the limit on the N32 anyway but you always get some eejit right up your hole an then overtaking on the inside which then makes me feel like an eejit...

60 kph just feels slow on such a long straight road after coming off the M50, but thinking about it now there are turn offs all the way up that road, for the GAA club, the Industrial park, and on the otherside the clonshaugh lane and the halting site.

It's got to be either the Bewley's at Leopardstown or Dublin Airport as the one at Newlands Cross is nowhere near a roundabout nor is the one at Ballsbridge. As per highdef's comment, there are indeed plans to replace the roundabout near the Bewley's in Leopardstown with a signal controlled junction. Not too sure how successful this will be given the disruption caused to the recently altered Blackthorn Road nearby. That is neither here nor there (pardon the pun;)).

Back to the topic at hand, the recently completed (erm....unfinished:)) Network Direct project has failed to make proper use of many of the newly constructed bus lanes. Many of the new routing alignments have effectively added half an hour to overall journey length. The outdated practice of sending buses through housing estates is still very much alive. The only exceptions that I would make to this is if a housing estate happens to be the terminus for a bus route. Otherwise, stay on the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It's got to be either the Bewley's at Leopardstown or Dublin Airport as the one at Newlands Cross is nowhere near a roundabout nor is the one at Ballsbridge. As per highdef's comment, there are indeed plans to replace the roundabout near the Bewley's in Leopardstown with a signal controlled junction. Not too sure how successful this will be given the disruption caused to the recently altered Blackthorn Road nearby. That is neither here nor there (pardon the pun;)).

Back to the topic at hand, the recently completed (erm....unfinished:)) Network Direct project has failed to make proper use of many of the newly constructed bus lanes. Many of the new routing alignments have effectively added half an hour to overall journey length. The outdated practice of sending buses through housing estates is still very much alive. The only exceptions that I would make to this is if a housing estate happens to be the terminus for a bus route. Otherwise, stay on the bus lanes.

Any chance of specific examples of where this is happening. BTW not exactly sure how this relates to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What routes are you referring to that are now taking 30 minutes longer?

Network Direct was not about taking every route out of estates. It was about:
    1) Having a core route on each QBC that operated in as direct a manner as feasible.
    2) Introducing clock face schedules
    3) Introducing regular interval services
    4) Eliminating unnecessary route duplication
    5) Eliminating unnecessary overcapacity on certain corridors to match supply with demand more effectively.

There was always going to be a mix of routes - between core trunk routes and others that do still serve local estates.

• Advertisement

Any chance of specific examples of where this is happening. BTW not exactly sure how this relates to the topic at hand.

Here is a list of some routes which aren't as direct as they could be:
    • Northbound 7 and 8: Each route operates through Newtown Avenue instead of going directly down the dual carriageway which can add anything up to 10 minutes to the overall journey length. Given the extremely close proximity to the DART line coupled with the recently constructed contra-flow cycle lane, there is no justification for this routing alignment. The 7 and 8 should operate along the entire stretch of the Rock Road from Monkstown Avenue onwards.
    • 13: There are a few kinks that need to be ironed out. At the Harristown side, the route takes the turn immediately after the M50 bridge. While it is home to IKEA, this business of being dropped right at the door of the place adds to the overall journey length. This is because it often involves leaving and rejoining the main flow of traffic which can be very time consuming depending on the time of day. Given that IKEA is a stones throw from the Ballymun Road, I think Balbutcher Lane could be omitted from the routing alignment. Beyond Western Industrial Estate on the other end, there is a huge amount of zigzagging.
    • 14: What's the deal with the gigantic hook at both ends of the journey?:confused:
    Many of the creases (for want of a better analogy) in the aforementioned routes are not QBCs nor do they have bus lanes. I could go on forever. But, you get the idea!;)

If a bus route bypasses a QBC, it defeats the whole purpose of them which makes them "pointless" as per the thread topic. Asking people to walk all of 5 minutes to a main road for a bus into town isn't exactly a big deal. Many people from my neck of the woods walk well over 10 minutes to the nearest DART station which isn't really a bother.

I would agree re the 7 and 8 - both should really use the bypass in both directions. There are enough short streets linking the village and the bypass.

However you are fundamentally wrong about the 13 and 14.

The 4 acts as the core route along the Ballymun QBC. Something has to serve the entire Balbutcher Lane loop around Poppintree as nothing else serves that area. It's far more than a 10 minute walk and there's far too many people boarding there to leave them out. As I said above there needs to be a mix of routes, ones that still serve local estates and ones that stick to the QBC.

The 14 acts as a dual purpose service in Ballinteer. It provides a reasonably direct route between Ballinteer and the city, and also links all of Ballinteer with the Dundrum Centre and the LUAS at Dundrum. Or perhaps you don't think that such connections should exist or that Ballinteer or the estates behind Nutgrove should have a bus service? Given that's where peak loadings on the 14 are from I suspect you would not be popular!

On the northern half the 14 is the only bus to operate along thw length of Beaumont Road and Collins Avenue between Beaumont Road and Malahide Road - both are far too long a distance to not have a service. The 27b provides a faster route to Skelly's Lane if required along the Malahide QBC. Again it's about providing a mix of services.

You still haven't told us which routes are more than half an hour longer than before!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There are a few kinks that need to be ironed out. At the Harristown side, the route takes the turn immediately after the M50 bridge. While it is home to IKEA, this business of being dropped right at the door of the place adds to the overall journey length. This is because it often involves leaving and rejoining the main flow of traffic which can be very time consuming depending on the time of day. Given that IKEA is a stones throw from the Ballymun Road, I think Balbutcher Lane could be omitted from the routing alignment. Beyond Western Industrial Estate on the other end, there is a huge amount of zigzagging.

Ikea is not a "stones throw" from the Ballymun Road, and the last time I was there the city bound stop was far from "right at the door."

Ikea is a prime stop -- or at least it is for around there -- and people tend to be carrying bags loads of stuff and bulkier items.

More generally: I'm all for the idea of moving city buses out of estates etc and replacing them with local services (at the least new services for the old and disabled, and going as far as having feeder services to BRT, Luas, Dart and some day Metro) but even at the lower end that requires investment and can't be seen to be within Dublin Bus's reach or remit.

monument wrote: »
    Ikea is not a "stones throw" from the Ballymun Road, and the last time I was there the city bound stop was far from "right at the door."

I stand corrected here as I just measured it there on Google Earth and the distance between IKEA and the Ballymun Road is half a mile. This can be a challenge for people with severe back problems or other painful ailments of the joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

[*]Northbound 7 and 8: Each route operates through Newtown Avenue instead of going directly down the dual carriageway which can add anything up to 10 minutes to the overall journey length. Given the extremely close proximity to the DART line coupled with the recently constructed contra-flow cycle lane, there is no justification for this routing alignment. The 7 and 8 should operate along the entire stretch of the Rock Road from Monkstown Avenue onwards.
    I was going to make the comment that Blackrock Main Street provides a better connection to the DART than the bypass, but seeing as they essentially compete with the DART (other than the 8 operating via Mountown Road), I'm not sure that is a good enough reason.
    [*]13: There are a few kinks that need to be ironed out. At the Harristown side, the route takes the turn immediately after the M50 bridge. While it is home to IKEA, this business of being dropped right at the door of the place adds to the overall journey length. This is because it often involves leaving and rejoining the main flow of traffic which can be very time consuming depending on the time of day. Given that IKEA is a stones throw from the Ballymun Road, I think Balbutcher Lane could be omitted from the routing alignment. Beyond Western Industrial Estate on the other end, there is a huge amount of zigzagging.
    The 13 doesn't seem to serve IKEA. That's the number 140 (does the 4 still serve it?). I imagine IKEA are paying a subsidy to DB for this.
    [*]14: What's the deal with the gigantic hook at both ends of the journey?:confused:
    Making connections and serving people who would otherwise be without a service.
    If a bus route bypasses a QBC, it defeats the whole purpose of them which makes them "pointless" as per the thread topic.
    If a bus only uses the QBC, yes it will be faster, but it won't carry as many people.

Victor wrote: »
    I was going to make the comment that Blackrock Main Street provides a better connection to the DART than the bypass, but seeing as they essentially compete with the DART (other than the 8 operating via Mountown Road), I'm not sure that is a good enough reason.

In this particular instance, there is an extensive network of lane-ways between the Blackrock Bypass and the DART station with only a five minute walk. Furthermore, the 7 and 8 routes also make a stop virtually beside Booterstown DART Station which should be more than adequate for a modal switch. More importantly, Booterstown DART Station is not out of the way.
    The 13 doesn't seem to serve IKEA. That's the number 140 (does the 4 still serve it?). I imagine IKEA are paying a subsidy to DB for this.

The stop beside Carton Way is right around the corner from the IKEA entrance which I would consider enough to be serving the furniture giant. Going by the map, it is less than a quarter of a mile which is well doable by foot.
    Making connections and serving people who would otherwise be without a service.

I suppose it does serve Ballinteer Community College and Ballinteer Commercial Center.
    If a bus only uses the QBC, yes it will be faster, but it won't carry as many people.

All I am saying is that, a few tweaks to some routing alignments could enable them to behave more like a rapid transit system. Take Dublin 15 for example. The 38 leaves the Navan Road at Auburn Avenue temporarily traveling in the direction of Dublin City. Then, it takes a right at the end of Auburn Avenue and continues in it's intended direction. Conversely, if it took the first left at the roundabout beside The Halfway House, traversed part of Castleknock Road and then turned up Auburn Avenue, it would indeed maintain a consistent north-west flow making it more direct.

It's also worth noting that going through housing estates and dropping people virtually at their front door indirectly discourages those from taking a reasonably modest amount of exercise. In many cases, the housing estate is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest bus stop which is well doable. Victor, you are right in the latter half of that statement. However, the current perception of loss in revenue because (heaven forbid) people have to walk a bit more to transport connections is laughable. Some of these walks are only marginally longer.

Having said all of that, I do sympathize for people with physical impairments who live in concealed housing estates. Nevertheless, this could be addressed by encouraging them to live in houses along QBCs rather than concealed or exclusive environments where accessibility would inevitably become an issue. After all, it is vital that everyone has an acceptable level of independence. Otherwise, their quality of life is pretty low.

At the end of the day, decades of bad (non-strategic) planning has resulted in a lot of the shortcomings seen in our current transportation system today.

In this particular instance, there is an extensive network of lane-ways between the Blackrock Bypass and the DART station with only a five minute walk. Furthermore, the 7 and 8 routes also make a stop virtually beside Booterstown DART Station which should be more than adequate for a modal switch. More importantly, Booterstown DART Station is not out of the way.

The stop beside Carton Way is right around the corner from the IKEA entrance which I would consider enough to be serving the furniture giant. Going by the map, it is less than a quarter of a mile which is well doable by foot.

I suppose it does serve Ballinteer Community College and Ballinteer Commercial Center.

All I am saying is that, a few tweaks to some routing alignments could enable them to behave more like a rapid transit system. Take Dublin 15 for example. The 38 leaves the Navan Road at Auburn Avenue temporarily traveling in the direction of Dublin City. Then, it takes a right at the end of Auburn Avenue and continues in it's intended direction. Conversely, if it took the first left at the roundabout beside The Halfway House, traversed part of Castleknock Road and then turned up Auburn Avenue, it would indeed maintain a consistent north-west flow making it more direct.

It's also worth noting that going through housing estates and dropping people virtually at their front door indirectly discourages those from taking a reasonably modest amount of exercise. In many cases, the housing estate is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest bus stop which is well doable. Victor, you are right in the latter half of that statement. However, the current perception of loss in revenue because (heaven forbid) people have to walk a bit more to transport connections is laughable. Some of these walks are only marginally longer.

Having said all of that, I do sympathize for people with physical impairments who live in concealed housing estates. Nevertheless, this could be addressed by encouraging them to live in houses along QBCs rather than concealed or exclusive environments where accessibility would inevitably become an issue. After all, it is vital that everyone has an acceptable level of independence. Otherwise, their quality of life is pretty low.

At the end of the day, decades of bad (non-strategic) planning has resulted in a lot of the shortcomings seen in our current transportation system today.

You seem to be totally ignoring my replies on this.

A decent bus service involves a mixture of direct core routes along a QBC and other routes which do still serve estates. Ballymun Road already has a direct route - the 4. Forgetting about your obsession with IKEA, what about residents in Poppintree all along Balbutcher Lane? You seem to think that it's ok to singularly remove a bus service and leave them with a 15-20 minute walk?

The 13 already had some of its loops in Ballymun removed (Sillogue, Shangan and Coultry). There is a limit as to how far you can straighten out routes.

With the 14 if the bus did not take the route it does, a very large area that has no QBC would have no bus service to the city and a more limited service to Dundrum.

Your proposal for the 38 would mean taking it away from most of Castleknock and removing the link from there to the industrial areas of greater Blanchardstown.

The Blanchardstown area already has a core service in the form of the 39a, and the 38a/38b also take a direct route along the N3.

As I have said it is about providing a mix of local and direct services. Not every route needs to be direct, but that seems to be a concept that you find difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Here is a list of some routes which aren't as direct as they could be:
    • 13: There are a few kinks that need to be ironed out. At the Harristown side, the route takes the turn immediately after the M50 bridge. While it is home to IKEA, this business of being dropped right at the door of the place adds to the overall journey length. This is because it often involves leaving and rejoining the main flow of traffic which can be very time consuming depending on the time of day. Given that IKEA is a stones throw from the Ballymun Road, I think Balbutcher Lane could be omitted from the routing alignment. Beyond Western Industrial Estate on the other end, there is a huge amount of zigzagging.

That is the routing before network direct. The 13 no longer takes the turn immediately after the M50 bridge to IKEA. Passengers are not dropped at the door. The closest stop is on Balbutcher Lane. Network Direct removed the IKEA loop (along with Coultry and Shangan), leaving the 140 as the only route directly serving IKEA.

You mention "the business of dropping people to the door of IKEA" as being a negative thing. I took the 140 twice last weekend. Both buses carried at least 30 people to the terminus. I don't see the problem with the bus bringing passengers to where the majority of them want to go.
    [*]14: What's the deal with the gigantic hook at both ends of the journey?:confused:

Thousands of people live inside those areas.
    The 38 leaves the Navan Road at Auburn Avenue temporarily traveling in the direction of Dublin City. Then, it takes a right at the end of Auburn Avenue and continues in it's intended direction. Conversely, if it took the first left at the roundabout beside The Halfway House, traversed part of Castleknock Road and then turned up Auburn Avenue, it would indeed maintain a consistent north-west flow making it more direct.

I think you're missing the point of the 38. It's the only link between Castleknock Village and Blanchardstown Village/ITB/NAC/Corduff.

It's also worth noting that going through housing estates and dropping people virtually at their front door indirectly discourages those from taking a reasonably modest amount of exercise. In many cases, the housing estate is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest bus stop which is well doable.

Or, it might actually encourage people to leave their car at home and use a bus that's close by. The unique operation of the bus imeans it can penetrate communities, unlike a rail line. That's not a bad thing.
    I do sympathize for people with physical impairments who live in concealed housing estates. Nevertheless, this could be addressed by encouraging them to live in houses along QBCs rather than concealed or exclusive environments where accessibility would inevitably become an issue.

In an ideal world that would be marvelous. In reality, expecting people to move house just so a bus route can be realigned is probably asking a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

to cty1girl yep the bus lane on ballyboggin rd has never been commissioned and yet the amount of gob****es that still drive on the outside is amazing same goes for certain time bus lane ballymun rd as an example bus lane only 16.00 - 19.00 yet i seem to be only one to use it i do be just praying for some old fart to try and point out to me its a bus lane, but it never happens [so far]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

spatchco wrote: »
    to cty1girl yep the bus lane on ballyboggin rd has never been commissioned and yet the amount of gob****es that still drive on the outside is amazing same goes for certain time bus lane ballymun rd as an example bus lane only 16.00 - 19.00 yet i seem to be only one to use it i do be just praying for some old fart to try and point out to me its a bus lane, but it never happens [so far]

Regardless of whether or not the bus lane has been "commissioned", unless there is appropriate signage to indicate that it is not in use then drivers are presumably correct in travelling on the outside. I also don't get why you would seem to relish the prospect of being confronted by an "old fart". If you are driving correctly and safely then why worry what others opinions are.

Advertisement