Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the cardboard roller?

How did you get on with P2M? Is it covered or is it going to cost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's the cardboard roller?

How did you get on with P2M? Is it covered or is it going to cost you?

Something like this, absolutely no give in it and it really gets in to the muscle.

P2M is sorted at no expense. They sent out a replacement bolt and its now back on so all is good.

Tuesday 29th
    Turbo - BG work
    This was tough and a struggle. 30mins of BG work in total and it was brutal on the legs. Usual wu with some builds and HC work then into 10,8,6,4,2mins with 1 min recoveries moving power from 240w up to 280w as each effort progressed. A real quad burner and i had to extend the recoveries to 2mins after the 10 & 8mins BG efforts as i was verging on not getting through the session. Had the turbo on a slope of 3.5% and hovering between the 53/13 & 11.
    Efforts came in at,
    10min - 241w/58rpm
    8min - 250w/58rpm
    6min - 260w/59rpm
    4min - 270w/59rpm
    2min - 283w/60rpm
    As i said near bailed after the 8min effort but just remembered the overgear work going up Tabayesco in Lanza, focussed the mind and got the head down to get through it. Character building!!
    63mins,AP202w/NP222w,Cad:72

Wednesday 30th
    Easy Run
    Just out for a short easy one especially as legs felt heavy from last nights session. Very windy out there and seen Bryangiggsy going the opposite direction. Need to put rocks in my pockets next time for fear of blowing away!!
    34:12,7.45kms,4.35m/km pace

Swim
    I had to switch Fri & Wed swim around and do the shorter one today as the pool yet again changed schedules and i would not have fitted in the planned 4k set. This was another really good swim and i felt great in the water. Wu consisted of 300sw/200p/100k before going into 10x50fist with 25fist and 25sw hard. I noticed on these i was really grabbing the water on the 25 coming back, all hitting 53secs and under. Into the main set of 5x200 mod hard off 4.15. First one came in at 3:34 and felt good, second one something clicked for same effort yet came in 3:26, the third 3:28, the 4th 3:30 and the last 3:32. Some fast 50s followed 46-48secs before warm down.
    Everything just felt right, body position, rotation, catch & pull and i felt i was really driving from the hips. SWOLF down to 76 for the entire swim so i was certainly more effecient in the water.
    58mins,2500mtrs,swolf76

Thursday AM 31st
    90min treadmill long run
    If ever there was a session to confirm i was a nutcase with an addictive personality well this is it. If ever there was a session to recall during difficult times when mentally you start falling apart in a race well this is also it.
    I had planned to jump on at 5.30am however Hannah woke up at 4am for a bottle and i thought "sure may as well jump on now". 90mins, no music, no distractions and wearing my fleece CSystem jacket (just imagine a boiler jacket) and my skins leggings for some "Heat Acclimatization" training for Abu Dhabi.
    This was mentally very tough but i find a session like this really toughens you up and focuses the mind. I used most of the run concentrating on good form and visualising a perfect race in Abu Dhabi.
    It probably took me a good 20mins into the 1hr easy to get into my running and i shifted the pace up ever so slightly. The hour passed covering 13.4kms/4.29km pace and i had thrown a few 3 & 4% inclines in to simulate some rolling hills. I lifted it up to the top end of steady and 4min ks for the last 30mins although had to knock the pace back a bit for the last 10mins as i felt the effort/hr had creeped into mod hard with the heat build up (heating on full blast at this stage). I was tired for a finish and the fleece jacket weighed a tonne with the sweat, how nice:rolleyes:. Need to ensure i re hydrate well today as i sweated a lot of fluids out this morning!!
    90mins,20.7kms,4.21m/km pace

Recovery & rest in between sessions whilst easier said than done will be critical in these big weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

NUTTER!!!! 90mins on the dreadmill with that gear on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have to ask, why is your easy run pace 4.35 and long run 4.21?
    They seem far too close to your faster pace.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I have to ask, why is your easy run pace 4.35 and long run 4.21?
    They seem far too close to your faster pace.

I dont fully get you, Ray (forgive me i have a sleepy head this morning:)). When you say too close to your faster pace, are you talking about race pace, long run pace or what exactly? If it specific to the difference between the 4:35 run on Wed and 4:21 long run, bear in mind an hour of the 90min long run this morning was done easy.

Easy pace is whatever easy feels like, some days easy effort gives a 4:30 pace others a 4:50. The majority of my running is mostly aerobic for what my training/racing is geared towards. I have no real top end/fast speed as its not something my training/racing is geared towards. Yes there is some steady efforts and occasional mod hard efforts but i would say probably 90% of my running would be mod aerobic effort.

I mean, the general rule is run your fast runs fast and your slow runs slow.
    Your race pace on Sunday was about 3.50? Your marathon pace, if you were to do a marathon around now, would be 4.10? (just checked, 4.09 for a 2.55 marathon) Your easy runs seem to be too fast, too close to those race paces, and maybe you are pushing yourself too hard on runs that should be easy. I don't understand the point of 30 minutes at 4k pace after an hour easy, for example. It seems like you're pushing yourself too much, to try to make fast gains? But you need to factor in recovery too (and 4.50 is not recovery pace:))

I realise I'm coming at this from a runner's perspective, and your training is different because you also have the swims and cycles, but maybe your peaks would be higher if you let yourself ease off more in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Your race pace on Sunday was about 3.50? Your marathon pace, if you were to do a marathon around now, would be 4.10? (just checked, 4.09 for a 2.55 marathon) Your easy runs seem to be too fast, too close to those race paces, and maybe you are pushing yourself too hard on runs that should be easy. I don't understand the point of 30 minutes at 4k pace after an hour easy, for example. It seems like you're pushing yourself too much, to try to make fast gains? But you need to factor in recovery too (and 4.50 is not recovery pace:))

I realise I'm coming at this from a runner's perspective, and your training is different because you also have the swims and cycles, but maybe your peaks would be higher if you let yourself ease off more in between?

I'd be inclined to agree. Your easy pace would seem to be far too fast. Your easy pace is not 4:30. Your races times don't support that. How do you measure the ease of this pace? HR? Feel? As Ray says, based on your race at the weekend your easy pace, I would expect, would be closer to 4:45/4:50 on a good day, while recovery pace 5:00 or thereabouts. Which would be similar to where I am at the moment.

On the otherhand, you know you better than I ever will, and presumably there is a reason behind the paces you are running. We don't all give every detail of our training sessions, and targets within them and instead use vague words like easy/steady/moderate (I've never understood the difference between steady and moderate :confused:). Have you another session planned for this eve? And in your opinion how will this mornings run affect that session. A proper easy run would have little influence on this evening, but then 4 weeks out from a big race increasing the workout and operating when tired is part of the plan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pace on Sunday was 3:45/KM. Mcmillan gives a 2:59 marathon based on this (4:14/km Pace)

I'd tend to agree with Ray and BTH here in general in that I reckon to be around the same kind of time for 5 miles (based on 31:30 in the same race last year and improvement since) but my 'easy' runs would always be 4:55-5:15/km and recovery 5:20+ (had to google those to get the french figures ;)). To be honest JB, based on current easy and LR paces I figured you would run low 29 in Raheny...

All that said it is probably wrong to compare directly as I or Ray would run a lot more while JB would do more cross training ;) so i guess his legs aren't as fatigued in general. I have also noticed from running logs that a lot of runners just tend to do their easy runs a lot faster than others at the same level and it doesn't seem to be a problem. A lot of said runners have often ended up injured when heeding others advice to slow down their easy runs so I guess in many ways everyone is just different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

BTH wrote: »
    (I've never understood the difference between steady and moderate :confused:).

Punter: Haha yiz all look like a bunch of ill-bred spandex-wearin' hooker-donkeys on this forum!
    BTH: Steady...

Punter: Haha yiz all look like a bunch of ill-bred spandex-wearin' hooker-donkeys on this forum! And yiz all dope!
    BTH: moderate

• Advertisement

Agree fully with this.
    Your race pace on Sunday was about 3.50? Your marathon pace, if you were to do a marathon around now, would be 4.10? (just checked, 4.09 for a 2.55 marathon) Your easy runs seem to be too fast, too close to those race paces, and maybe you are pushing yourself too hard on runs that should be easy.
    Race pace was around 3.47km pace for Raheny 5 mile. I take your point but let me flip this around a little for some healthy debate:) Have you considered my race at the weekend is not something I specifically trained for, not a key race in the overall scheme of my race plans? Also worth noting i have not worked or trained my anaerobic system to enable me to go faster? Hence the issue is not that 4:35 is too fast for my easy runs but 3:47 pace is too slow but about where it should be given training focus and lack of speed work? Surely a marathon focussed runner (talented at that distance) will perform better at that distance than someone who is primarily 5k/10k focussed and vice versa?
    Easy runs should be a run at a pace you can hold a full conversation, are we in agreement on this? Always the case for me any way when doing easy runs. Sure even when back running with a HRM paces tied back into easy/steady zones so feel matched effort. I think people can get hung up on x pace rather than run by feel. I know in the past i would have been as guilty. Plug in that 5 mile race to McMillan though and you will find my training paces are not far off considering i am endurance focussed rather than a speedster!!
    Recovery Jogs
    5:00-5:26
    Long Runs
    4:23-5:08
    Easy Runs
    4:20-4:56
    endurance runner
    Steady State Run
    4:00-4:10
    Tempo Run
    3:49-3:59
    As you can see not far off. As a matter of interest what would you expect to see as a drop off between easy pace and race pace given what i have stated above? Interested to hear.
    I don't understand the point of 30 minutes at 4k pace after an hour easy, for example. It seems like you're pushing yourself too much, to try to make fast gains? But you need to factor in recovery too (and 4.50 is not recovery pace:))
    On the 30mins again i would forget about pace and focus on the effort, it was a steady effort albeit rising towards the end of the 30mins due to heat so pace dialed back to match effort. As for its purpose i have my own opinion on why its done and i am sure my coach has it there for a reason. Nothing to do with fast gains at all, bear in mind timing of these sessions. Volume and intensity will of course increase in these peak weeks given my first A race is only 4 weeks away. Every session has a purpose.
    I would agree with you here, the one thing i would note is that these peaks should come when i need them in my A races, which for me is Abu Dhabi & IM FF and not for a 5mile road race for me which in all honesty was done for the enjoyment of just doing a race.
    I enjoy the debate, its all good, some valid points raised and an interesting discussion.
    I'd be inclined to agree. Your easy pace would seem to be far too fast. Your easy pace is not 4:30. Your races times don't support that. How do you measure the ease of this pace? HR? Feel?
    Run with me for 90mins and you would probably change the bit in bold. You have to realise that i am now in my third year of doing training, mostly all endurance/mid aerobic effort and in some way i have conditioned myself in that way. All i can say to support my argument is my point on holding a conversation whilst running. Have a look back at some of my old long runs when running with a hrm, all in the "easy hr" and those zones and that hr was not calculated on a whim. Take you as an example, you would kick my ass in a 5k/10k/possibly even a half, i guarantee that would not happen in a marathon if we were both to run one now...why because your training is not geared towards that and vice versa. Add in the fact some people are more naturally suited to shorter and some to longer distance.
    As Ray says, based on your race at the weekend your easy pace, I would expect, would be closer to 4:45/4:50 on a good day, while recovery pace 5:00 or thereabouts. Which would be similar to where I am at the moment.
    As i mentioned earlier on pace, easy does not always come out at 4:30 pace exactly, some days it can dip lower (rare) and some days it can drift up to 4.40/50. I will conceed i could do with running specific recovery runs at 5.15 plus...i do find this hard though.
    On the otherhand, you know you better than I ever will, and presumably there is a reason behind the paces you are running. We don't all give every detail of our training sessions, and targets within them and instead use vague words like easy/steady/moderate (I've never understood the difference between steady and moderate :confused:).
    Re the bolded bit, this is the thing everyone is different and talents are in different areas. We are doing this long enough to know what easy should feel like and what steady should feel like. The good thing is with having a coach its a second set of eyes, you can be damn sure he would pull the reigns in if needed to do and rightfully so.
    I can easily differentiate between easy & steady but like you steady and mod can be a fine line :)
    Have you another session planned for this eve? And in your opinion how will this mornings run affect that session. A proper easy run would have little influence on this evening, but then 4 weeks out from a big race increasing the workout and operating when tired is part of the plan too.
    Core and an easy 20min run planned for later. Of course there will be some fatigue from this mornings session, not a machine after all:). Again timing of these sessions in the overall plan needs to be considered and with Abu Dhabi coming up. Agree on your last point, there is a time and place for the body needing to learn to train when tired.

That was a lot of typing but worth it to get my own viewpoint across:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Love the visual of you panting in all that gear JB!

On easy pace- can't really see much point in running 7km must slower than you did. Runners do easy runs to flush the legs for more running- not as applicable to Tri training I would have thought. Interested to know what would be the use of a slower 7km session, though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pace on Sunday was 3:45/KM. Mcmillan gives a 2:59 marathon based on this (4:14/km Pace)

I'd tend to agree with Ray and BTH here in general in that I reckon to be around the same kind of time for 5 miles (based on 31:30 in the same race last year and improvement since) but my 'easy' runs would always be 4:55-5:15/km and recovery 5:20+ (had to google those to get the french figures ;)). To be honest JB, based on current easy and LR paces I figured you would run low 29 in Raheny...

All that said it is probably wrong to compare directly as I or Ray would run a lot more while JB would do more cross training ;) so i guess his legs aren't as fatigued in general. I have also noticed from running logs that a lot of runners just tend to do their easy runs a lot faster than others at the same level and it doesn't seem to be a problem. A lot of said runners have often ended up injured when heeding others advice to slow down their easy runs so I guess in many ways everyone is just different...

I was half expecting to run 29:xx something in Raheny but big difference in expecting and actually doing. Not making excuses (even though it sounds like one) but a big training camp the week before would hardly leave you race fresh:o
    Oi don't underestimate that cross training:), whilst 8hrs running is tough on the legs as running takes longer to recover from do not forget about tough cycles thrown in there. They can really zap your legs and that "cross training" can tally up to a lot of training hours in the week;)
    I agree with you on the bolded bit.
    Perhaps i just don't race hard enough!!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Love the visual of you panting in all that gear JB!

On easy pace- can't really see much point in running 7km must slower than you did. Runners do easy runs to flush the legs for more running- not as applicable to Tri training I would have thought. Interested to know what would be the use of a slower 7km session, though.

You really would not, trust me, think Gary Glitter in a Barney suit!!

Easy run is exactly what it says on the tin.....running easy nothing strenous. Recovery run for me is when you are actively assisting recovery by a gentle jog, generally legs should feel better coming back than going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd be inclined to agree. Your easy pace would seem to be far too fast. Your easy pace is not 4:30. Your races times don't support that. How do you measure the ease of this pace? HR? Feel? As Ray says, based on your race at the weekend your easy pace, I would expect, would be closer to 4:45/4:50 on a good day, while recovery pace 5:00 or thereabouts. Which would be similar to where I am at the moment.

LOL - MY easy pace is 4:45/4:50 and MY recovery pace is 5:00/5:05
    And I'm grossly overweight, horribly out of shape.

I know of other boardsies who, at various stages last year, were doing their long runs (1:45-2:00) at four minute kms. That was their easy pace.

Some peoples easy pace is other peoples hard.

I know for me my determination of easy pace is HR + RPE. I won't run to a pace unless explicitly told "run at x:xx per km"

sorry, cutting about randomly here, don't have time for proper structure :)
    Race pace was around 3.47km pace for Raheny 5 mile. I take your point but let me flip this around a little for some healthy debate:) Have you considered my race at the weekend is not something I specifically trained for, not a key race in the overall scheme of my race plans? Also worth noting i have not worked or trained my anaerobic system to enable me to go faster?

A 5 mile race is aerobic, your anaerobic system is used for efforts of less than a minute.
    I know Sunday wasn't a target race for you, but if you weren't sick or fatigued on the start line, and didn't get your pacing or race strategy spectacularly wrong, it should be a good indicator of your current ability
    Easy runs should be a run at a pace you can hold a full conversation, are we in agreement on this?

yes, that's a good indicator. Are you running with other people regularly?
    Plug in that 5 mile race to McMillan though and you will find my training paces are not far off considering i am endurance focussed rather than a speedster!!

You seem to be right at the bottom of every zone McMillan gives :)
    As a matter of interest what would you expect to see as a drop off between easy pace and race pace given what i have stated above? Interested to hear.

Anywhere between 45 and 85 seconds, off the top of my head, with the average somewhere near the middle of that zone and a lot of fluctuation depending on the sessions that were done earlier in the day/the day before. Just for comparison, I tend to do my easy runs somewhere between 4.35 and 4.50/km, Krusty Clown seems to be 4.20/4.30km.
    I would agree with you here, the one thing i would note is that these peaks should come when i need them in my A races, which for me is Abu Dhabi & IM FF and not for a 5mile road race for me which in all honesty was done for the enjoyment of just doing a race.

I don't mean the annual training cycles, I mean weekly. (Same principle for monthly too, I guess) Again, coming from a running background, but if a training plan has one tough session a week, it will be on the same day each week so you have a week recovery. If you have two sessions, or three sessions, they'll be spaced out as much as possible so you can peak properly for each and recover properly in between. (I do Tuesday fast/Wednesday long, Saturday fast/Sunday long, and easy in between. )

Obviously you're balancing three sports so you have to consider how each one peaks and each is recovery from the others. But the underlying principle is that you can't keep grinding through your training on a medium-hard setting because you'll lose your higher gears. (if I did Tuesday long/Wednesday fast my Wednesday would not be fast, and if I don't run fast midweek I won't be able to run faster in a race)

sorry, cutting about randomly here, don't have time for proper structure :)
    A 5 mile race is aerobic, your anaerobic system is used for efforts of less than a minute.
    I know Sunday wasn't a target race for you, but if you weren't sick or fatigued on the start line, and didn't get your pacing or race strategy spectacularly wrong, it should be a good indicator of your current ability
    I would be of the understanding (incorrectly maybe) that whilst the 5mile is mainly high end of aerobic effort the training required to go faster in such a race would require a higher level of anaerobic work to improve:confused:. For 5 mile i am thinking some work doing 400s/600s/800s/1k which would incorporate some anaerobic effort. I suppose you have a point, it was a marker of current ability.
    yes, that's a good indicator. Are you running with other people regularly?
    Not enough as i would like but occasionally i do talk aloud:)
    You seem to be right at the bottom of every zone McMillan gives :)
    Fair point, should be able to race faster given i know i am running my easy runs easy:)
    Anywhere between 45 and 85 seconds, off the top of my head, with the average somewhere near the middle of that zone and a lot of fluctuation depending on the sessions that were done earlier in the day/the day before. Just for comparison, I tend to do my easy runs somewhere between 4.35 and 4.50/km, Krusty Clown seems to be 4.20/4.30km.
    Would it be fair to assume that you run by pace rather than hr/feel? I know if i ran that pace in my easy runs my hr would hardly make it out of recovery. I know everyone is different.
    I don't mean the annual training cycles, I mean weekly. (Same principle for monthly too, I guess) Again, coming from a running background, but if a training plan has one tough session a week, it will be on the same day each week so you have a week recovery. If you have two sessions, or three sessions, they'll be spaced out as much as possible so you can peak properly for each and recover properly in between. (I do Tuesday fast/Wednesday long, Saturday fast/Sunday long, and easy in between. )

Obviously you're balancing three sports so you have to consider how each one peaks and each is recovery from the others. But the underlying principle is that you can't keep grinding through your training on a medium-hard setting because you'll lose your higher gears. (if I did Tuesday long/Wednesday fast my Wednesday would not be fast, and if I don't run fast midweek I won't be able to run faster in a race)

Gotcha now, understand what you mean. Yes sessions are planned carefully by coach to ensure one does not impact on the other (as much as possible as life gets in the way sometimes) Agree on going hard all the time will see no improvement and in fact will send you backwards. You need to allow the body to absorb the training. I often work off a 2 and 1 or 3 and 1 ease back week. It is hard balancing the 3 sports though.

So in summary do we rigidly stick to pace or go by hr/rpe? You make very valid points but if my easy running feels easy and is proven to be easy based on extablished hr zones then surely i am getting the training benefit from the prescribed session. Trust me i do have enough hard sessions scattered around the place to take full advantage of the easy runs when they are there:). I might go back to using the hrm for a week to ensure all checks out with what i am saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Would it be fair to assume that you run by pace rather than hr/feel? I know if i ran that pace in my easy runs my hr would hardly make it out of recovery. I know everyone is different.

I am not saying I am right but most of my easy runs actually do end up in the 'Recovery Zone' in terms of HR, only if the run was quite long would it actually sneak into the 'easy zone'. I can't see the problem with this as it is more the legs that dictate the pace of easy runs rather than the HRM.

By the by P&D would tell me that HR should be 127-152 for easy runs while it should be <140 for recovery runs. So technically an easy and a recovery run can be the same thing. Hadd says that all easy efforts should be done at 50 BPM below Max HR to maximise aerobic development. He doesn't define any difference between 'easy' and 'recovery'.

My understanding of easy and recovery runs is simply that a recovery run is shorter than an easy run (less than 45 minutes = recovery while >40 minutes = easy). Granted if my legs are in a jocker after a hard session or race the recovery run might be a bit slower than a standard easy run.

Sorry for the rambling, these are just some of my musings on the above debate.....

I would be of the understanding (incorrectly maybe) that whilst the 5mile is mainly high end of aerobic effort the training required to go faster in such a race would require a higher level of anaerobic work to improve:confused:. For 5 mile i am thinking some work doing 400s/600s/800s/1k which would incorporate some anaerobic effort. I suppose you have a point, it was a marker of current ability.

If you do one 400 (or 600/800/1k) and recover fully before the next, that's going to work your anaerobic system, but if you do 5k worth of intervals with short/jog recoveries it's an aerobic workout. Sprinters will do fewer reps with full recoveries between each one.

No, I run by feel, I don't show the pace on my watch these days. I'll look at the pace afterwards. Usually in the low 4.40s, depending on how many traffic lights I get stuck at:). (I run with other people about once a week, before/after a session)
    It's got to be hard to run by feel on a treadmill, isn't it? Outdoors, I slow down or speed up without thinking about it, on a treadmill you're more likely to adjust your pace to the machine.
    So in summary do we rigidly stick to pace or go by hr/rpe? You make very valid points but if my easy running feels easy and is proven to be easy based on extablished hr zones then surely i am getting the training benefit from the prescribed session. Trust me i do have enough hard sessions scattered around the place to take full advantage of the easy runs when they are there:). I might go back to using the hrm for a week to ensure all checks out with what i am saying.

I think it would be worth trying the HRM for a while, just to see. To me, your estimate of easy pace is too close to your hard paces to really be 'easy' - it looks more like a 'steady' pace, a pace you can maintain for the length of the session without feeling like you are killing yourself, but still more work than it should be. Maybe I'm just lazy :D but I think easy should be easy, 20/30 minutes later you feel no real after-effects. (and recovery is no more effort than walking)

Not quoting any more:)
    @ Meno - If using Hadd then it would cap my easy hr at 143 which is currently low end of easy for me (top end is 154) and would drop the pace back to 4:50s i would say.

@ Raycun - Likewise i have stopped looking at my garmin for pace after being told i look at it too much when running.
    It is certainly harder running by feel on the treadmill but generally when running i am either watching The Night Garden, DocMcStuffin, Jake & Neverland Pirates or Dora. If i cannot sing along i am not going easy:) In all seriousness take this mornings long run for example, i knew about 20mins into the steady effort that steady was becoming much tougher and creeping into mod hard so dropped it back a notch pace wise.
    On the last comment i will try the hrm again and do a sense check, i will probably end up with my chest cut to pieces (stupid garmin soft strap).
    One last thought would you consider running (purely by hr) at 150 easy for someone who has a threshold hr of 175? and a recorded MHR of 193.

At least it brought some interesting discussion in the log today, thanks for taking part:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not quoting any more:)
    @ Meno - If using Hadd then it would cap my easy hr at 143 which is currently low end of easy for me (top end is 154) and would drop the pace back to 4:50s i would say.

@ Raycun - Likewise i have stopped looking at my garmin for pace after being told i look at it too much when running.
    It is certainly harder running by feel on the treadmill but generally when running i am either watching The Night Garden, DocMcStuffin, Jake & Neverland Pirates or Dora. If i cannot sing along i am not going easy:) In all seriousness take this mornings long run for example, i knew about 20mins into the steady effort that steady was becoming much tougher and creeping into mod hard so dropped it back a notch pace wise.
    On the last comment i will try the hrm again and do a sense check, i will probably end up with my chest cut to pieces (stupid garmin soft strap).
    One last thought would you consider running (purely by hr) at 150 easy for someone who has a threshold hr of 175? and a recorded MHR of 193.

At least it brought some interesting discussion in the log today, thanks for taking part:)

Thats how I always ensured I was riding running easy too. The looks I got in IM Austria 2010 seeing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" as I went by people on the bike.

tunney wrote: »
    Thats how I always ensured I was riding running easy too. The looks I got in IM Austria 2010 seeing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" as I went by people on the bike.

I count everyone i am overtaking with the odd verse of Old McDonald had a farm thrown in, probably the only positive of being slow out of the water!!

I've no idea, I've never trained by HR.

To be honest, I'm posting because I was reading this log about a month? ago, and was struck by your training paces. I started thinking that maybe I was taking my easy runs too easy, so I did a sanity check on my own training. It's not directly comparable because I'm just running, and you have a higher training volume that includes swimming and cycling... but I think you're the one whose training paces don't align well with race performances. (at least for running, I've no idea about the splashing and wheel-spinning :) ) Something to think about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

jacky, what is your IM marathon race pace - am I right in thinking around 3:30 for the marathon, or 8min/mile, 5min/km. Should a lot of training not be done at this pace (or effort level)? I would have thought that 60mins at that pace would be more beneficial (specific training) than 30mins at 4:20/km pace...but maybe that marathon training thinking doesn't fit with triathlon training.

Edit - just to elaborate...

I presume main goals of run training when training for IM are to

a) learn to use energy as economically as possible and
    b) have as much energy available to you as possible.

a) will be achieved by using glycogen as sparingly as possible and rely more on fat. The harder the effort the more glycogen used and the lower the effort the less glycogen used. So if you take your current 'easy' effort down a notch to 'very easy' you'll be using less glycogen, training the energy systems needed on race day. If that very easy effort is 5:20 pace today, in a few weeks it might be 5:10 and then 5:00 and so on, for the same low glycogen usage, as you get trained at that effort level. How that happens is related to b) below.

b) Imagine you have 1,000 muscle fibres in your leg, 500 fast twitch, 500 slow twitch. If you are always running within a narrow pace range (I think 4:20-4:50 is mentioned above and given your 5m time of 3:47/km and so lactate turnpoint pace ~4:00/km, marathon pace ~4:10/km) you may be predominantly using and thus training 200 of the slow twitch and 100 of the fast twitch fibres. So those trained fibres will have plenty mitochondria, ability to store lots of glycogen etc. and so enhanced ability to store and use energy. But the more fibres you have trained, the more energy you'll be able to store and use. The fast twitch fibres won't be much use to you in the IM as they'd use up glycogen too quickly. But the more slow twitch fibres you have trained the better you'll run as you'll have access to more energy. You can recruit these untrained slow twitch fibres by
    i) running at easier efforts (I don't like saying more slowly, as while it might be slower than you currently run initially, it will speed up with time, for the same effort). Muscle recruitment is based on force requirement. Less force is needed the slower the pace, so at easier efforts the slowest twitch fibres will be recruited.
    ii) running lots - if you use up energy stores of a fibre on a run and then run again before it is fully replenished, that fibre cannot be recruited, so another one gets called up and hence trained.
    iii) running long - the 200 fibres you usually use will fatigue/use up their energy stores during a long run and so other fibres are recruited to take their place.

I don't think the question should be whether you are running too fast, but what are you hoping to achieve from each run. I imagine when IM training it's all about sparing glycogen use and low lactate levels. So rather than query the pace, query the cost - what energy does your every day run cost you. If it is easy then it should be fine, but that's only as long as you have a good perception of easy. The best way to find out would be to do a lactate test on the run.

I've no idea, I've never trained by HR.

To be honest, I'm posting because I was reading this log about a month? ago, and was struck by your training paces. I started thinking that maybe I was taking my easy runs too easy, so I did a sanity check on my own training. It's not directly comparable because I'm just running, and you have a higher training volume that includes swimming and cycling... but I think you're the one whose training paces don't align well with race performances. (at least for running, I've no idea about the splashing and wheel-spinning :) ) Something to think about anyway.

I 100% agree although tbf we are taking a very limited running specific sample size. Sure i have hardly ran any road races in the last year or any type of races being fair. I agree with what you are saying on training pace not aligning well with race performances. I am the first to put my hand up and have even mentioned it previous on here that i have been training well but not racing well last year and its something that has got to change.
    Being honest i cannot remember any one race performance of late that i can safely say "yes fulfilled my potential in that one" apart from Barcelona marathon last year but that was more to do with pulling that 3:05 out of the bag when really i probably should have pulled up at the early stages as i knew i was not 100% for it. It was not fulfilling potential but certainly gave it every ounce of effort, it took me a good 6 months to be very proud of that result for what it was.
    Plenty to think about any way with what is being said.

jacky, what is your IM marathon race pace - am I right in thinking around 3:30 for the marathon, or 8min/mile, 5min/km. Should a lot of training not be done at this pace (or effort level)? I would have thought that 60mins at that pace would be more beneficial (specific training) than 30mins at 4:20/km pace...but maybe that marathon training thinking doesn't fit with triathlon training.

Edit - just to elaborate...

I presume main goals of run training when training for IM are to

a) learn to use energy as economically as possible and
    b) have as much energy available to you as possible.

a) will be achieved by using glycogen as sparingly as possible and rely more on fat. The harder the effort the more glycogen used and the lower the effort the less glycogen used. So if you take your current 'easy' effort down a notch to 'very easy' you'll be using less glycogen, training the energy systems needed on race day. If that very easy effort is 5:20 pace today, in a few weeks it might be 5:10 and then 5:00 and so on, for the same low glycogen usage, as you get trained at that effort level. How that happens is related to b) below.

b) Imagine you have 1,000 muscle fibres in your leg, 500 fast twitch, 500 slow twitch. If you are always running within a narrow pace range (I think 4:20-4:50 is mentioned above and given your 5m time of 3:47/km and so lactate turnpoint pace ~4:00/km, marathon pace ~4:10/km) you may be predominantly using and thus training 200 of the slow twitch and 100 of the fast twitch fibres. So those trained fibres will have plenty mitochondria, ability to store lots of glycogen etc. and so enhanced ability to store and use energy. But the more fibres you have trained, the more energy you'll be able to store and use. The fast twitch fibres won't be much use to you in the IM as they'd use up glycogen too quickly. But the more slow twitch fibres you have trained the better you'll run as you'll have access to more energy. You can recruit these untrained slow twitch fibres by
    i) running at easier efforts (I don't like saying more slowly, as while it might be slower than you currently run initially, it will speed up with time, for the same effort). Muscle recruitment is based on force requirement. Less force is needed the slower the pace, so at easier efforts the slowest twitch fibres will be recruited.
    ii) running lots - if you use up energy stores of a fibre on a run and then run again before it is fully replenished, that fibre cannot be recruited, so another one gets called up and hence trained.
    iii) running long - the 200 fibres you usually use will fatigue/use up their energy stores during a long run and so other fibres are recruited to take their place.

I don't think the question should be whether you are running too fast, but what are you hoping to achieve from each run. I imagine when IM training it's all about sparing glycogen use and low lactate levels. So rather than query the pace, query the cost - what energy does your every day run cost you. If it is easy then it should be fine, but that's only as long as you have a good perception of easy. The best way to find out would be to do a lactate test on the run.

First off very good post LB.
    My best IM marathon time was in my first one in UKIM2011 in 3:34. Easy to say but 3:20 should be achievable, do take my point to Raycun above about "fulfilling my potential" though, easy to say what we think we can do but proof is in the pudding. That would be holding 4:44 pace to achieve that time. So in answer to your question is training at 4:44 pace for an IM marathon the right thing to do? 4:44 would be a real easy pace for me to hold on a normal training day, different when running after doing a 3.8km and a 180km before it though:) What would you consider harder in terms of effort levels, maintaining a 4.25m/km long run on fresher legs or a 4.44m/km in an IM. Assume both are within easy ranges!!
    Both are applicable in marathon specific training and training for an IM marathon but surely a reduction in your easy pace running will result in quicker times in both. So why would you hold back at 4.44 pace on all runs if you are running well within easy effort? Surely stunting progress there somewhat i would imagine.
    Points a) & b) yes fully agree on both in particular a) is key for IM racing.
    On your point a) yes i agree you should see pace drop for same effort level as highlighted above in my post.
    Re point b) my lactate turning point as per Lactate testing is 3.55m/km pace (over a year old so i would like to think things have moved on), this sort of backs up my point in the the 5 mile road race about "racing well". I take note of what you are saying, i tend to drift over mid easy in effort levels when sometimes its ok to run the very low end of easy. Your points are very well made.

Yes IM run is all about sparing the use of glycogen stores. Given all the discussion re training paces vrs effort i am going to have a look at training data and make sure everything checks out. As mentioned above lactate test previously done so will factor into looking at data and will post something later on.
    Thanks for the post

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

What would you consider harder in terms of effort levels, maintaining a 4.25m/km long run on fresher legs or a 4.44m/km in an IM.

The 4:25/km long run is going to be a way easier. But in terms of specificity of training, for the 4:44/km IM you will be running this on low glycogen and thus low lactate levels, perhaps 1.8mmol/L. When you run a long run at 4:25/km you are bound to be using more glycogen and lactate levels will be higher, maybe 2.0 - 2.2mmol/L. So my point is that you want to get as good as you can at running at 1.8mmol/L. Ability at 2.2mmol/L might be largely irrelevant for your IM race. And to get good at 1.8mmol/L you may need to spend some time there, whihc might mean running slower.
    surely a reduction in your easy pace running will result in quicker times in both.
    Not necessarily, depending on the 'cost' of your easy pace, as above. You run practically all your miles at or faster than IM pace, 4:44/km. Would this be the case with pro triathletes? Do the lads who run in the 2:40s in an IM do all their running at 4min/km or faster? They may well do, I'm just asking as I don't know and this would certainly not be the case with marathon runners who might only be at or faster than marathon pace 3 times a week.
    You can get better at 1 pace without getting better at other paces. Like a marathon runner will lose some speed near marathon time and a 1500m runner will lose some endurance in his race season. In my own case I went from 7:10-7:30/mile easy pace last year to 8:00/mile pace or slower and was 1minute slower over 5k but 3mins faster over HM.

my lactate turning point as per Lactate testing is 3.55m/km pace

What would be interesting is what is your lactate level and pace at lactate threshold as opposed to lactate turnpoint. Lac thres will represent the best pace you could hold for a marathon. And for the case of this discussion, to find out whether your easy run is easy once and for all!!! what is your lactate level at 4:30/km or your typical easy pace and how does this relate to pace/lactate level at lac thres and lac tp.

Ok hopefully this will raise a big red flag based on feedback if in fact i do run my easy runs too fast.
    First a look at hr,
    LTHR - 175bpm
    Zones (using Friel)
    0-142bpm - recovery
    143-154bpm - easy/aerobic
    155-163bpm - tempo/steady
    164-174bpm - sub TH
    175-179bpm - sup TH

Secondly a look at threshold pace/speed, assuming 3:45 based on recent 5mile race as old test from over a year ago was 3:55.
    4.50+ - recovery
    4.50-4.17 - easy/aerobic
    4.17-3.58 - tempo/steady
    3.58-3.45 - sub TH
    3.45-3.38 - sup TH

On those hr's and paces everything does not seem to far out, comments on above:confused:

I used to be very anal when tracking hr against long runs and taking a look at a similar time (fitness wise) hr/pace relationship data would have been around mid 4:30s pace for an AHR of 151 on those "long easy runs". Slightly on high side of easy but i would not thought extreme.
    One thing i will point out is the last while you will have seen faster long runs, a case in point being the one on Thursday at 4.21km pace. You need to factor in that half an hour of this run is steady or "race pace" what Raycun and LB might not be aware of is my next race in Abu Dhabi will only consist of a 20k run so training intensity changes when comparing to training for an IM marathon....that should be factored in.

So as i said comments welcome, i hope the above does not come across as challenging/dismissing, more doing a sense check after what has been mentioned in previous posts...its been a very worthwhile discussion so far.

Sorry LB just noticed your post as i was typing my last post so there might be some crossover.
    The 4:25/km long run is going to be a way easier. But in terms of specificity of training, for the 4:44/km IM you will be running this on low glycogen and thus low lactate levels, perhaps 1.8mmol/L. When you run a long run at 4:25/km you are bound to be using more glycogen and lactate levels will be higher, maybe 2.0 - 2.2mmol/L. So my point is that you want to get as good as you can at running at 1.8mmol/L. Ability at 2.2mmol/L might be largely irrelevant for your IM race. And to get good at 1.8mmol/L you may need to spend some time there, whihc might mean running slower.
    I am not going to pretend to understand what the values mean but i get what you are saying in particular specificity of training. Does the information above alter your opinion in any way for running slower?
    Not necessarily, depending on the 'cost' of your easy pace, as above. You run practically all your miles at or faster than IM pace, 4:44/km. Would this be the case with pro triathletes? Do the lads who run in the 2:40s in an IM do all their running at 4min/km or faster? They may well do, I'm just asking as I don't know and this would certainly not be the case with marathon runners who might only be at or faster than marathon pace 3 times a week.
    You can get better at 1 pace without getting better at other paces. Like a marathon runner will lose some speed near marathon time and a 1500m runner will lose some endurance in his race season. In my own case I went from 7:10-7:30/mile easy pace last year to 8:00/mile pace or slower and was 1minute slower over 5k but 3mins faster over HM.
    In answer to the question on pro triathletes, yes they would train below their planned IM marathon pace in the same way if targeting a standalone marathon you would have the odd session thrown in faster than marathon pace. Information which you may not have been aware of at the time is that my next A race in Abu Dhabi contains a 20k run so taking it back to specifity of training....the recent runs (thinking specifically the 4:21m/km long run) would be specific for that race due to the different intensity level but i would agree too fast for training for a full IM paced marathon.
    What would be interesting is what is your lactate level and pace at lactate threshold as opposed to lactate turnpoint. Lac thres will represent the best pace you could hold for a marathon. And for the case of this discussion, to find out whether your easy run is easy once and for all!!! what is your lactate level at 4:30/km or your typical easy pace and how does this relate to pace/lactate level at lac thres and lac tp.
    I am assuming only a lab test would give the answers to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

My problem with the zones idea is that is based on it been linear. the fact is that you are mainly training your ensurancebase, so your easy- tempo may actually be a wider % and the high end which uses fast twitch muscled be a narrower range than someone concentrating on shorter racing.

note: I may be wrong

Advertisement