Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

murphym7 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question, but here go's anyway. Before this layout change, only traffic in the right hand lane coming from the east could head up towards Wilton. Is this still the case with the new layout?

From the photo it does look like both the middle and right lanes are ok to go towards Wilton, I wouldn't be assuming that until the lane markings are fully down though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

TheChizler wrote: »
    From the photo it does look like both the middle and right lanes are ok to go towards Wilton, I wouldn't be assuming that until the lane markings are fully down though!

Thats what I was thinking too, just don't know. From what I have seen, lots of folks in the left lane go around into the middle lane going to Wilton, which is where I try and go from the right hand lane, bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

neddynasty wrote: »
    In that aerial photo (and from driving around) it looks like there will be a set of columns in the middle of the roundabout and beams from both sides will use those columns therefore no need for a big central section like on the Bandon Roundabout. Could that be right? Would that make construction faster?

Correct, there won't be any "earth box" structure at Sarsfield in the centre of the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

70 year old man killed tonight between Bandon and Sarsfield R'abouts. Awful this happening so close to Christmas.
    A 70-year-old man has died after he was struck by a car on the South Ring Road in Cork.
    The incident happened at around half past six this evening.
    The body of the man - a pedestrian - was taken to Cork University Hospital.
    The road is closed pending an examination by gardaí and diversions are in place.

Source RTE News

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hogzy wrote: »
    70 year old man killed tonight between Bandon and Sarsfield R'abouts. Awful this happening so close to Christmas.

Source RTE News
    Anyone have any details on this, i have to say im not surprised, everytime i walk/cycle or drive throught the sarsfield rd rounabout since they changed it i have seen unbelievable driving every time ....

today i was out running with the dog and had to cross the roundabout at the pedestrian crossings. I waited correctly for the green man , started to jog across and some dopey b*tch drove throught the red light, lucky i was paying attention cause she didnt have a ****in clue............. had to stop dead in my tracks to avoid being hit.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any details on this, i have to say im not surprised, everytime i walk/cycle or drive throught the sarsfield rd rounabout since they changed it i have seen unbelievable driving every time ....

today i was out running with the dog and had to cross the roundabout at the pedestrian crossings. I waited correctly for the green man , started to jog across and some dopey b*tch drove throught the red light, lucky i was paying attention cause she didnt have a ****in clue.............

Turn on the 9 o clock news now, they may have something on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Occured on the Eastbound road between Bandon and Sarsfield junctions.

There should be signs erected on the N40 restricting pedestrian access. I know its not a motorway and is not likely to be changed for the forseeable future but the N40 is no place for pedestrians. Its as equally busy as the M50 like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

alanucc wrote: »
    Correct, there won't be any "earth box" structure at Sarsfield in the centre of the roundabout.

Is this due to the bog underneath it?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

today i was out running with the dog and had to cross the roundabout at the pedestrian crossings. I waited correctly for the green man , started to jog across and some dopey b*tch drove throught the red light, lucky i was paying attention cause she didnt have a ****in clue............. had to stop dead in my tracks to avoid being hit.

I passed the accident last night around the 6:30pm time heading westwards. Accident had already happened and emergency services were already at the scene. It occurred probably > 500 meters before the Sarsfield Roundabout where the 2 lanes become 3 and there's no hard shoulder. Certainly not a place I would like to be walking. It was foggy and there's not a lot of street lighting there at the moment with the roadworks going on. Sad loss this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Occured on the Eastbound road between Bandon and Sarsfield junctions.

There should be signs erected on the N40 restricting pedestrian access. I know its not a motorway and is not likely to be changed for the forseeable future but the N40 is no place for pedestrians. Its as equally busy as the M50 like.
    Surprised a pedestrian was even able to get in there. Can't imagine why they'd want to. I assume it's fenced along that section so you'd have no choice but to continue to the next roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

From the Irish Examiner today:
    An elderly man was knocked down and killed during rush-hour traffic in Cork last night.
    The accident happened on the eastbound stretch of South City Ring Rd between the Sarsfield and Bandon Rd Roundabouts at about 6.30pm. It is understood the victim, who was in his 70s, was walking west against the flow of eastbound traffic. He was dressed in dark clothing. Gardaí got several calls between 6.15pm and 6.30pm from motorists who reported seeing a person walking along the road. As officers were going to the scene a report came through that a pedestrian had been knocked down in the area.
    An ambulance was called and the man was taken to Cork University Hospital but he was pronounced dead a short time later.
    The victim is understood to be originally from the North Cork area.
    He may have been living in sheltered accommodation in Wilton or Togher.
    The driver of the car, who is in his 30s, was severely shocked and traumatised but uninjured.
    It is understood the pedestrian suffered severe head injuries.
    While gardaí were able to speak to several witnesses at the scene, Supt Charlie Barry asked any other witnesses to contact Bishopstown Garda Station on 021 454 1012, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.
    The eastbound section of the road was sealed off for a forensic investigation team to examine the scene.
    There was traffic chaos for a number of hours as diversions were put in place and cars were directed through Bishopstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

See it all the time between driving and walking through that roundabout, and people give out about cyclists?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

and people give out about cyclists?!
    I didn't realise that cyclists were heroic angels who never ever, ever, ever broke the ROTR? :P

(Not defending the driver in Outkast IREs post, but people have a right to "give out" about any irresponsible road (or footpath in the case of cyclists) use.)

SeanW wrote: »
    I didn't realise that cyclists were heroic angels who never ever, ever, ever broke the ROTR? :P

(Not defending the driver in Outkast IREs post, but people have a right to "give out" about any irresponsible road (or footpath in the case of cyclists) use.)

Yes, but lets show a bit of respect and hold off on the criticism until the full story is known and the man's funeral has actually taken place. For all we know his family could be reading this so lets show them a bit of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

When are they supposed to be starting work on the east bound carriageway ?

Still using the old section of road travelling east bound as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

They were back working this morning dark and early. Must have been tough facing back into it in this weather! They had some floodlights and a digger or two in action on the Sarsfield roundabout. Not much else to report. Was too dark to see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Do anyone know if this construction is still on schedule. Seems like an awful lot of work will have to be done in a relatively short space of time.

johnayo wrote: »
    Do anyone know if this construction is still on schedule. Seems like an awful lot of work will have to be done in a relatively short space of time.

They havnt even started erecting the flyover on the Sarsfield R'about. When is the opening scheduled?

heading west between Sars-Bandon roundabout, are they putting in a very wide footpath/cycle lane on the extreme left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

heading west between Sars-Bandon roundabout, are they putting in a very wide footpath/cycle lane on the extreme left?

Haven't been near the area in quite a while, but are you sure that's not the left slip from Sarsfield Road (south section).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Haven't been near the area in quite a while, but are you sure that's not the left slip from Sarsfield Road (south section).

its a cycleway and pathway.

its a cycleway and pathway.
    I believe its a slip road he was talking about , their is a proper tarmac road going off to the left, for people coming down sarsfield rd and wanting to head out towards dunnes/bandon rd.
    They havent opened this slip road yet as the volumes of traffic are probably too heavy until the flyover opens proper.

There will be a proper pathway/cycleway when its completed though, it might even be done but it isnt open yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

They havnt even started erecting the flyover on the Sarsfield R'about. When is the opening scheduled?

July 2013 I think.

I believe its a slip road he was talking about , their is a proper tarmac road going off to the left, for people coming down sarsfield rd and wanting to head out towards dunnes/bandon rd.
    They havent opened this slip road yet as the volumes of traffic are probably too heavy until the flyover opens proper.

There will be a proper pathway/cycleway when its completed though, it might even be done but it isnt open yet anyway.

I'm aware of the slip road alright, but just before the new entrance to dunnes, I noticed what looks like a massive footpath running the whole way back to sarsfield road. At least I think that's what it is.

I'm aware of the slip road alright, but just before the new entrance to dunnes, I noticed what looks like a massive footpath running the whole way back to sarsfield road. At least I think that's what it is.
    Ya theres meant to be a walkway/cycle path according to the plans anyway so thats prob it.

New update
    http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25-Sarsfield_Road_Bandon_Road_Interchanges/N25%20Sarsfield%20Road%20Bandon%20Road%20Interchanges%20Progress%20Update%2056.pdf

Looks like they are aiming for march to have the beams in place for the flyover on sarsfield rd, and they are going to be working on the aproaches to it aswell.

New update
    http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25-Sarsfield_Road_Bandon_Road_Interchanges/N25%20Sarsfield%20Road%20Bandon%20Road%20Interchanges%20Progress%20Update%2056.pdf

Looks like they are aiming for march to have the beams in place for the flyover on sarsfield rd, and they are going to be working on the aproaches to it aswell.

April :eek: No way will this open in July.

April :eek: No way will this open in July.
    Its hard to say, the other flyover is almost completed really, and they are constantly tipping away on finishing it.

If they start putting in 24hr shifts like they were doing previously then they would manage it alright id say. Its looks like they want the approach ramps set up by the time the beams are put in place, so that would leave it finished as such in terms of structure for the most part......... i think its do-able, if the weather perked up a bit for the spring it would help alot id say.
    In fairness it has been a very wet year of work for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I've heard that drainage was a major problem for them at the Sars roundabout end. Prob why they are behind schedule.

Advertisement