Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

A little late but,
    Progress Update 48:
    Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    Friday 23rd November 2012

Construction of the Sarsfield Road flyover structure is progressing well. All eight columns at the western support have been completed in line with the dates set out in previous progress updates. The attached photograph shows concrete being placed by pump in one of these columns with other completed columns also clearly visible. It is also still hoped that the columns of the central support to this bridge structure will be at least partially complete before the Christmas break.

Over recent weeks night time works have been progressed in a number of areas of the site and this will continue over the coming period. It is also intended to progress significant works at the southern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout over the upcoming weekend. Basically the intention here is to construct a new section of the Sarsfield Road and bring it into use by 6.00 a.m. on Monday 26th November 2012. The new roadway and footpath will be above the 100 year flood level and thus this section of the Sarsfield Road should no longer become impassable to vehicular and pedestrian traffic on a regular basis.

In order to facilitate completion of these works localised traffic restrictions will be put in place, as follows. From 6.00 p.m. on Saturday 24th November 2012 up to 6.00 a.m. on Monday 26th November 2012 there will be no access to/from the southern section of the Sarsfield Road from the Sarsfield Road Roundabout for vehicular traffic. Pedestrian traffic will not be affected by this localised restriction. Emergency access will be maintained through the works site throughout and the minor diversion for other traffic will be well signposted.

Following on from completion of the new section of the Sarsfield Road south of the existing Sarsfield Road Roundabout, the focus will switch to completion of a new Sarsfield Road Roundabout circulating carriageway. It is still hoped that this new roundabout can be brought into use before the Christmas break probably under weekend working in early December. Further details under this heading will issue in due course.

The target of completing at least some of the noise barriers on the scheme prior to the Christmas break also remains in place. Specifically it is hoped that the noise barrier at the St Finbarr’s boundary wall will be complete within the next week and this will be followed by construction of a noise barrier on the southern site of the road immediately west of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout.

As always, if there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses please register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

Progress Update 49:
    Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    Friday 30th November 2012

The new section of the Sarsfield Road south of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout was opened to traffic as planned on last Monday 26th November 2012. Unfortunately weather conditions over last weekend meant that the final surfacing layer could not be constructed in this area but this item will be picked up under night working over the next two weeks.

It is still hoped to open the new traffic lanes for westbound traffic and the new Sarsfield Road Roundabout circulating carriageway to traffic by Monday 10th December 2012. Night and weekend working will continue to be a feature in the general Sarsfield Road Roundabout area over the coming days with a view to ensuring that this ambitious target is achieved. Cork City and County Councils would like to reiterate their appreciation for the cooperative approach shown by local residents to the ongoing works – the scope of night works should reduce significantly after Monday 10th December 2012 with all night working ceasing for this year not later than Wednesday 19th December 2012.

No daytime disruption to traffic is anticipated over the next few days with the works focusing on off-line areas with any localised lane closures being progressed under night time lane closures. A further update will issue in relation to works planned for the latter half of next week and motorists will be requested to pay particular attention to road signage as the new layout is brought into use over the coming period.

As always, if there are any queries or concerns in relation to the works, we can be contacted on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046 at any time. If you are interested in obtaining regular progress updates by email as the scheme progresses please register your email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

There are two Gardai positioned at the Sarsfields Road roundabout (westbound) each evening during peak traffic hours. They are doing terrific work. They are stopping traffic attempting to go to Wilton via the middle lane westbound. The manoeuvre (which is illegal) was causing big traffic tail backs but it has improved immeasurably since the arrival of the Gardai. Our police force takes a lot of criticism at times but this is one instance where they're doing a great job. Well done to the 'boys in blue'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Anyone know if there are going to be any special road closures over Christmas and New Years? I seem to remember something last year related to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

There are two Gardai positioned at the Sarsfields Road roundabout (westbound) each evening during peak traffic hours. They are doing terrific work. They are stopping traffic attempting to go to Wilton via the middle lane westbound. The manoeuvre (which is illegal) was causing big traffic tail backs but it has improved immeasurably since the arrival of the Gardai. Our police force takes a lot of criticism at times but this is one instance where they're doing a great job. Well done to the 'boys in blue'. ;)

I agree, traffic was often backed up as far as the Kinsale flyover before the 2 lads came along. Well done guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I saw this happen last Sunday afternoon as I was waiting to turn towards Wilton. Around in the middle lane comes a woman only to come face to face with a Garda...argument ensues much to the amusement of us stuck in the proper lane as he forced her to proceed straight on towards the Bandon Road roundabout. She was not a happy camper but the rest of us were. Good on 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

They're at it hammer and tongs at the mo.Still can't figure out why they went so high with that road near the headlands. Interesting to see if traffic flow from sarsfield road sth will improve on Monday........

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

They're at it hammer and thongs at the mo.Still can't figure out why they went so high with that road near the headlands. Interesting to see if traffic flow from sarsfield road sth will improve on Monday........

I've heard of hammer and tongs but never hammer and thongs? What's that? Some new kinky way of doing roadworks or something? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

starch4ser wrote: »

I've heard of hammer and tongs but never hammer and thongs? What's that? Some new kinky way of doing roadworks or something? ;):D[/Quote

Woops!!!Freudian slip

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Twitters saying traffic is unreal at the Sarsfield rd roundabout today.
    Hopefully it will be ok by tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My Brother was telling the layout on the westbound approach to Sarsfield Rd roundabout has completely changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My Brother was telling the layout on the westbound approach to Sarsfield Rd roundabout has completely changed.
    The approaches from both sides of the roundabout have completely changed, with the dark mornings and evenings it will be very easy for someone to get caught out badly not paying full attention/ speeding through.

It seems approaching from the east today at least , you are rising up that ramp they built and hitting the roundabout from a new angle, its odd to explain but if you know anyone travelling through its worth warning them.

Drove through it today. It's changed a lot in the last couple of days. They were busy working there again today. There were a number of Gardai there today directing people too. Looks like some of the finishing touches were a little rushed but overall looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I think Gardai are permanently assigned to the junction. I passed through yesterday around 8pm and there was a garda just standing at the side of the road observing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I drove through it as well coming from the east and heading to CUH, I must say its impressive how this work carried on while that intersection was still handling the usual traffic. 10 out of 10 to the contractors.

I would urge you all to take it handy out there, there are big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Traffic wasn't too bad for me this morning just before 8 when I pased through. However, all the traffic coming from CUH heading west barrelled through the lights casue they didn't see them.

I was nearly blown away in my little punt!:D I think the signage could be much much better, particularly for say 500m before the junction. A few small signs 50m from the junction don't help anyone when they are trying to figure out what lane to be on the approach.

Contractor doing ok on the programme in fariness despite the bad weather preventing the laying of the wearing course. The subbies on the job should get the credit I supppose.

Does traffic heading down from the wilton roundabout onto the south ring heading east now no longer have to stop at lights?

I passed through the sarsfield roundabout this evening coming from the bandon road roundabout and it seemed this way. The amount of sudden braking as people came flying out onto the south ring road from the wilton direction seemed crazy.

I went from Wilton twice now onto the link East bound on the new layout. The situation is, as the two lanes coming down from Wilton approach the new intersection, the middle one goes straight to a set of lights while the left lane is twisted in an Eastern direction.

Then the East bound traffic merges onto the N40 East, there is a Yield sign at the merge and also a new lane starts at this very point as well.

So if you joined the road and kept tight to the kerb you are onto the start of a lane and would not need to yield.

Take it handy though the Gatso van was out there again today.

kub wrote: »
    I went from Wilton twice now onto the link East bound on the new layout. The situation is, as the two lanes coming down from Wilton approach the new intersection, the middle one goes straight to a set of lights while the left lane is twisted in an Eastern direction.

Then the East bound traffic merges onto the N40 East, there is a Yield sign at the merge and also a new lane starts at this very point as well.

So if you joined the road and kept tight to the kerb you are onto the start of a lane and would not need to yield.

Take it handy though the Gatso van was out there again today.

That explains it. Thanks. People were not yielding so. They were just pulling out into the path of traffic coming off the roundabout I guess people will get used to it but as you say, caution needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ludo wrote: »
    That explains it. Thanks. People were not yielding so. They were just pulling out into the path of traffic coming off the roundabout I guess people will get used to it but as you say, caution needed.
    Honestly i cycle across the roundabout twice a day, and the amount of people that ran the lights by mistake coming down from wilton onto the roundabout was astounding, i have seen it happen so many times im surprised i havent seen an crash from it.
    I cant see that improving with the yield thing going on..

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »

hmmmm...from just going through this from the Sarsfield roundabout direction, the above seems completely wrong. There is no new lane there that you can go into without merging when coming from Wilton...just the 2 lanes coming from the roundabout. All cars coming from Wilton have to yield...keeping near the kerb does not seem to allow you to join any new lane. This may explain the chaos yesterday with people pulling straight onto the road without yielding.
    Unless it has changed again since you went though it of course...

hmmmm...from just going through this from the Sarsfield roundabout direction, the above seems completely wrong. There is no new lane there that you can go into without merging when coming from Wilton...just the 2 lanes coming from the roundabout. All cars coming from Wilton have to yield...keeping near the kerb does not seem to allow you to join any new lane. This may explain the chaos yesterday with people pulling straight onto the road without yielding.
    Unless it has changed again since you went though it of course...

Ludo you are correct, there is no new lane starting at where the Wilton traffic comes onto the N40 east, apologies.

I just travelled from Sarsfield Road through it and looked at it from that side. I have noticed though that the Yield signs have been replaced with Stop signs.
    For anyone coming off the temporary roundabout please note, there is an Island to the east of the junction, the 2 lanes are flowing around it, to those of you in the left lane, be carefull of the Wilton traffic, it may not stop, as it should.

They really need to put lights there if it is going to be that way for any period of time. The amount of people pulling straight in front of oncoming traffic again today was not funny. An accident waiting to happen.

They really need to put lights there if it is going to be that way for any period of time. The amount of people pulling straight in front of oncoming traffic again today was not funny. An accident waiting to happen.

I agree with you, it is indeed an accident waiting to happen. Have you noticed that the old set of lights, just before that junction are still operating. Would it really have been that difficult to relocate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Aerial view of the Sarsfield roundabout from the Evening Echo website:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/files/2012/12/Sarsfield-Flyover.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

starch4ser wrote: »
    Aerial view of the Sarsfield roundabout from the Evening Echo website:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/files/2012/12/Sarsfield-Flyover.jpg.jpg

Interesting that the roundabout alignment has changed from the plans on page 14 (post 203). Flyover seems to be centred on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

sheff_ wrote: »
    Interesting that the roundabout alignment has changed from the plans on page 14 (post 203). Flyover seems to be centred on it now.

See page 35 (post 514). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

350125GO! wrote: »
    See page 35 (post 514). ;)

Thanks. It's a big thread!

In that aerial photo (and from driving around) it looks like there will be a set of columns in the middle of the roundabout and beams from both sides will use those columns therefore no need for a big central section like on the Bandon Roundabout. Could that be right? Would that make construction faster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Might be a stupid question, but here go's anyway. Before this layout change, only traffic in the right hand lane coming from the east could head up towards Wilton. Is this still the case with the new layout?

Advertisement