Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options
  • 01-09-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Just had a meeting with Brendan and the guys there to have a hands on with the rift and I can safely say that it's the future. They reckon they're a fair bit off a consumer release but it's already mind blowing. Resolution is only 640x480 per eye, but it genuinely looks great. They reckon there's a new gen of optics out early next year that'll mean a huge jump is resolution, with the end game goal of 4k

I was very skeptical about it but holy hell...I'm blown away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oooh, I want to try!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If they pull of 4K, and if it is as good as I have heard from the online previews, then this will be an instant buy for me. The technology is definitely something I am excited about, and hopefully they pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

It won't be 4k on release. From what they were saying that's a long way off but definitely the end game for the hardware family

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Carmack had a great talk during his Quakecon keynote about all his VR experiments and how he came into contact with Palmer Luckey and his Oculus Rift prototype.

Really interesting stuff for anyone interested. His Keynote talk is very long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

We had a bit of a chat about this on the latest podcast. I knew nothing about it, but Richie was giving me the lowdown. I certainly wasn't convinced, but when I watched their Kickstarter video, my tune changed. I'm all types of intrigued about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Does anyone have anything negative to say about this?
    All I'm hearing is "OMG 10/10!" and the like.
    What's the worst thing about this product?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i have a developer pack coming in December so should have some first hand info then.
    But the 640x480 was a dissapointment. i haven't seen a pc running that low a resolution in years,( i run at 6080x1080) but hopefully it will be upped to at least 1080p in later versions.

But it's looking like this will be the first VR kit that actually works the way it was ment to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Not really suited to you, if you wear normal glasses but not contact lenses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Do you really need to wear glasses if the screens are that close to your eyes? Maybe if you're long-sighted

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

well theres the whole "making your eyes bleed/fall out" thing.

I am puzzled as to how I am not the only one who thinks that this Oculus Rift and other VR headsets are like the hovercars of gaming - Despite iterations/prototypes constantly coming out, they will almost always be just over the horizon.

I simply cannot see this being succesful - Carmack's recent (technological) efforts have been really innovative and interesting ideas that end up being being bastardized into sub standard products by the "powers that be" - Megatextures = ET:QW , browser based gaming = Quake Live, ID tech 5 Engine = Rage. All of these had massive potential but are made irrelevant (I choose to blame activision for this)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I did like that Carmack said that you won't need to wear glasses to use them because he will be able to apply the necessary corrections in software :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Shiminay wrote: »
    I did like that Carmack said that you won't need to wear glasses to use them because he will be able to apply the necessary corrections in software :)

Surely if its just a screen that's impossible. Each pixel of the screen would still be out of focus. You need to use lenses to get the pixels in focus, regardless of what is on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I'd imagine the weight of the device itself could be a problem too. Anything heavier then a (...big) pair of glasses is probably going to become uncomfortable after awhile. Not to mention eye strain and headaches after any prolonged use.
    I am still really looking forward to at least trying it anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was very tempted to buy one of those developer kits. When I decided to make the plunge and drop the $300, it was 19 hours passed the kickstarter close! :D

Probably for the best due to the low resolutions...still really want one now though!

the fact that it doesnt exist beyond prototype yet :D

oh, well heres a thing for you... i wear glasses and the guys were asking about my eyesight. told them my prescription and they said lets give it a go without the glasses

we did

i could see crystal clear

IT MAKES ME SEE AGAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How did i not hear anything about this?? This looks and sounds amazing. I reckon this will be an instant buy for me.

Just a quick question, is it a periphial for all consles/pc's?

afaik pc only initially at least

Best get to work on saving for that monster pc i'm going to build! Has to be done now so i can get this!

you've got while before youll be able to pick it up, so take your time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Have been keeping an eye on this for ages now. I believe its the future of gaming tbh

Im very excited about it. It will breed new life into the FPS genre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Was looking at a set of these a few weeks back on kick starter. Its so rare that someone takes and out there idea and really makes it work and make real world sense. If the next gen of consoles has these as an integral feature I would be more than delighted.

Im going to be upgrading my current gaming TV come next gen anyways so something like this for less than half the price of a decent tv would be a no brainer. Id love to be able share a room with the missus while gaming but in all fairness she'd never be able watch tv or read a book with all the action going on screen but I could throw myself out on the sofa with a set of these, some headphones and the console and work away no problem. Aside from looking like a tool that is.

If they upped the resolution, and made a console version for next gens release (with major devs backing of course) I'd be a day one purchaser.

If console manufacturers are looking for unique selling features for next gen they really should consider ether an exclusive partnership or an outright purchase of RIFT. It'd certainly trump the WiiU gimmick whilst leaving the 3rd party left holding the cheque of "who doesnt have a unique peripheral"

couldnt imagine the lads looking for any kind of exclusive partnership to be honest. they're very aware of what they've got on their hands, but they're also aware that they could charge $5000 per headset and get it. they have zero interest in that though. they picked their circa $300 release price and that's what they want to stick to. it'll mean that the tech becomes incrementally better with time, rather than coming down in price, but it's the option they reckon will allow most people to get their hands on it

the one thing ill say to people looking forward to this, is dont in any way shape or form expect it to be close to hd resolution when it launches. you'll probably be looking at the 3rd gen rift before they get to those numbers. i could of course be wrong there, but based on what the guys are saying they're held back by the current price of optics, and if it looks like there's a big cut on the horizon, they'll hold off the hardware release and integrate the newer optics instead.

it could be a long waiting game

bottom line is that the guys know how big this could be. not just for gaming either, for mankind. and im not taking the piss when i say that. the implications of this hardware working properly at the price they're aiming for are nothing short of endless

And i thought it was coming out the end of the year. Really should read more about these things.

And i know the 1st gen one won't be savage in all aspects, but i'm a sucker for these kind of things, so i know i'll end up getting it anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I got a demo of the prototype about a month ago, very impressive. The resolution isn't great, but the commercial kit will have a higher resolution, and anyway resolution is the sort of thing that will improve quickly with time. What really blew me away was the high FOV and low latency of the rotational tracker. They're planning to add positional tracking to the commercial kit too, that'll make a huge difference. Devkit ordered, looking forward to playing with it.

Just read that this will be Hawken will support the rift

Now that will be epic

New video out lads and a remodeled rift

Anyone here getting the dev kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What's wrong with looking at a screen? Could never see myself sitting at a pc with something like that on my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Anyone who's had hands-on with this seems to be blown away, the praise they're getting is off the chart. The talent that's getting behind it is kinda awe-inspiring by itself. Would love to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What's wrong with looking at a screen? Could never see myself sitting at a pc with something like that on my head.

oh come on, what gamer hasnt thought about VR, il definitly get one of these on release

Advertisement