Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

I must be a complete tool

Dont be so hard on yourself bishop. I pay my tax ontime also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

jammywammy wrote: »
    Lol Oh Gosh....Implying Im a little thick? Deary deary me!
    I asked a simple question, a question which you rephrased and then answered your rephrased version of the question (after avoiding the question twice) It was a closed question which requires a simple yes/no answer.
    Maybe its just a hard question? I didnt think so

Given that i was asked a hypothetical question about a situation that did not actually take place in reality i am unsure why you would expect me to be exhausted. I can, hypothetically, estimate that i would not be tired in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

OP on his porch

GranTorino.gif

Bruthal wrote: »
    Nice evasion there. However, I equated nothing. You clearly said you would report a neighbours car for no tax if 3 months out, but wouldnt if they were off the road, but drove once in an emergency.

Now, explain how you would have no problem reporting your neighbours car 3 months out of tax, and how a UK reg is relevant there?

It was you who introduced the UK reg equating, as a way to evade the question about you reporting your neeighbours motor tax status, or lack of.

Seems simple, is a UK reg relevant to you reporting your neighbours lack of tax. If you cant carry on the conversation based on explaining that, then that is one cop out....

Well then, how can you tell that your neighbours car tax is still out after 3 months, without spying on their car? You will just accidently notice it now and again? Or you will keep a watchful eye on it?

Spying on people is bad
    Spying on their tax is bad
    Reporting customs evasion is like spying on their tax
    Reporting a customs evasion is bad

^^ strawman.

I can tell my neighbours car tax is out of date because you told me it was in your question. If you are askign another hypothetical question, such as would i go to much effort to find out their tax status then the answer is no, i would not.

Given that i was asked a hypothetical question about a situation that did not actually take place in reality i am unsure why you would expect me to be exhausted. I can, hypothetically, estimate that i would not be tired in the slightest.

So thats a 'no' ? See....its easy :D well done. In contrast to your good self, hypothetically of course, Im sure I would find policing my neighbour's tax affairs exhausting.

• Advertisement

So thats a 'no' ? See....its easy :D well done. In contrast to your good self, hypothetically of course, Im sure I would find policing my neighbour's tax affairs exhausting.

Such is the duty of good citizens, take heart that you helped stop people stealing money from your back pocket.

Spying on people is bad

^^ strawman.

I can tell my neighbours car tax is out of date because you told me it was in your question. If you are askign another hypothetical question, such as would i go to much effort to find out their tax status then the answer is no, i would not.

Ok, I see what you mean. You wouldnt go looking but if you noticed it you would report it?
    Im just at a loss to understand what one gets from doing that. Is it a case of feeling like you are doing the community a service?

Ok, I see what you mean. You wouldnt go looking but if you noticed it you would report it?
    Im just at a loss to understand what one gets from doing that. Is it a case of feeling like you are doing the community a service?

If my neighbour was driving around for 3 months without tax, yes, I'd report him as he is just taking the p1ss. I don't see why people should stand idle while the law is broken deliberately and over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

ForeRight wrote: »
    OP on his porch

GranTorino.gif

Replace Clint with Victor Meldrew

If my neighbour was driving around for 3 months without tax, yes, I'd report him as he is just taking the p1ss. I don't see why people should stand idle while the law is broken deliberately and over a long period of time.

The gardai are paid to look after that end of things. There are plenty of wrongs that if I see happening I would report....but I think they would involve people getting hurt etc. But reporting a neighbour who you have to live beside for not taxing a car...I just think its not a nice thing to do. Its not right not to tax a car, but I think if my neighbour reported me for such....Id be very peed off about it. Just sayin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This thread gives a good insight as to why Ireland is broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Would you report next door if their tax disc expires?

And they drove their car for 2 years? Yes.

Not 2 months then?

No, 3 months would be the cutoff point. Assuming I noticed their tax was out.
    Spying on people is bad

^^ strawman.

Look at the posts above. Nowhere does the UK reg enter the equation, except when you introduced it, then cried strawman. A little ironic that.

I asked would you report a neighbour, you said you would. Its that simple. UK reg is irrelevant.

Zambia wrote: »

Elaborate please

The gardai are paid to look after that end of things. There are plenty of wrongs that if I see happening I would report....but I think they would involve people getting hurt etc. But reporting a neighbour who you have to live beside for not taxing a car...I just think its not a nice thing to do. Its not right not to tax a car, but I think if my neighbour reported me for such....Id be very peed off about it. Just sayin :)

Peed off at yourself, surely? The "its not my job" argument should have no place in a decent society. You witnessed someone breaking the law repeatedly over 3 months (in this hypothetical scenario. Your neighbour doesn't give a crap abut the law and is happy to get one back on the guberment. You, as a tax payer, are being hit financially for stuff like this, why be so passive about it?

Look at the posts above. Nowhere does the UK reg enter the equation, except when you introduced it, then cried strawman. A little ironic that.

I asked would you report a neighbour, you said you would. Its that simple. UK reg is irrelevant.

No, you asked if someone would go snooping to find out if someones tax was out of date - i pointed out that the op observed a car being on UK plates after 2 years. No "snooping" involved.

Why, because we dont all spy on our neighbours?

Perhaps you could provide numerical data on the cost of non reporting of neighbours, in comparison with the financial state of the country?

Absolute nonsense statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

Sorry only read parts off this. But to noel. Do you know tat the Irish government are breaking European law.s by imposing a import duty like vrt...

Why, because we dont all spy on our neighbours?

Because of the cavalier attitude to paying tax. Where does it become OK to break the law? Is not paying your tax ok, but using green diesel is bad?

Because of the cavalier attitude to paying tax. Where does it become OK to break the law? Is not paying your tax ok, but using green diesel is bad?
    Yeah its just Ireland who have this attitude to paying tax. Ok!!!

• Advertisement

Peed off at yourself, surely? The "its not my job" argument should have no place in a decent society. You witnessed someone breaking the law repeatedly over 3 months (in this hypothetical scenario. Your neighbour doesn't give a crap abut the law and is happy to get one back on the guberment. You, as a tax payer, are being hit financially for stuff like this, why be so passive about it?

Would you report a taxi man neighbour for smoking in his car as he pulls into his drive after his shift? Would you report your partner for driving with their front foglights on when its not foggy? Would you call the cops on a neighbour who you witnessed crossing the stopline at the top of the road before stopping? They are all illegal, some quite dangerous. Would you report this?

In the whole of this 17 page thread all the OP has said is

He knows a bloke who has a UK reg car for two years.

He wants the authority's to do their job and stop him.

For this he has been attacked repeatedly and all calls for rational thought have been booed and hissed.

For this he has been attacked repeatedly and all calls for rational thought have been booed and hissed.

Actually, i think the op posted a little more than that. I think there have been great opinions expressed throughout.

Yeah its just Ireland who have this attitude to paying tax. Ok!!!

You think non payment of tax doesn't contribute to the deficit?
    Would you report a taxi man neighbour for smoking in his car as he pulls into his drive after his shift? Would you report your partner for driving with their front foglights on when its not foggy? Would you call the cops on a neighbour who you witnessed crossing the stopline at the top of the road before stopping? They are all illegal, some quite dangerous. Would you report this?

Nope. Does that make me a bad person? Does reporting them make me a bad person?

Actually, i think the op posted a little more than that. I think there have been great opinions expressed throughout.
    Facts are still the car has not been dealt with the motive for his complaint has no relevance.

Because of the cavalier attitude to paying tax. Where does it become OK to break the law?

Is not paying your tax ok, but using green diesel is bad?
    Is it a UK reg car:pac:

But anyway, have you ever broken any law? Or are you indeed perfect, only awaiting the white smoke to confirm your papal style infallibility?

(Or did you really runaway?)

You think non payment of tax doesn't contribute to the deficit?

Nope. Does that make me a bad person? Does reporting them make me a bad person?

Just interested in your perspective. You talk about 'when is breaking the law ok' I suppose I just wanted to test your theory. Seems its tax specific. I just think, in theory, we all want to be good citizens, I think we all qualify that differently.

No its not. He also mentioned the person in question is a Nigerian asylum seeker on refugee dole.

Facts are still the car has not been dealt with the motive for his complaint has no relevance.

Seems the complaint hasnt been dealt with. But I think the motive of his complaint became interesting to boarders when he mentioned that they where on the "refugee dole". Might not be relevent but hard to ignore

• Advertisement

Of course it does. The ignorant racist cynical comments by the OP makes his story less credible. You don't get away with driving around with yellow plates for long. Don't believe a word of it to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement