Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Cable for Note 2 to connect to TV

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

HI, where is the cheapest place to get a HDMI cable for Note 2 so I can connect it up to the TV. Looking online I see some cables will not work - anyone know what one to go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

The official Samsung cable is probably your safest bet. Have read reports also that cheaper copies either don't work or don't work as smoothly as expected. I believe S3 cable should probably work, but older S2 cables won't as the pin out has changed.

Am interest also in hearing anyone's experience in buying and using the hdmi cable. Has to be easier than pulling out the laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

biebiebie wrote: »
    The official Samsung cable is probably your safest bet. Have read reports also that cheaper copies either don't work or don't work as smoothly as expected. I believe S3 cable should probably work, but older S2 cables won't as the pin out has changed.

Am interest also in hearing anyone's experience in buying and using the hdmi cable. Has to be easier than pulling out the laptop!

I got the official one, its a great piece of kit in fairness, only takes a few secs to set up and the picture upscaling is pretty good!

I'd recommend the offical one but know beforehand that not all apps allow use of thia cable ;-)

What apps? Are you referring to Sky Go? Any other apps blocking it?

As a matter of interest where did you buy it and for how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

HDMI cables either work or they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I got the official one, its a great piece of kit in fairness, only takes a few secs to set up and the picture upscaling is pretty good!

I'd recommend the offical one but know beforehand that not all apps allow use of thia cable ;-)

Tks could you tell me where you got it and how much?

• Advertisement

HDMI cables either work or they don't

Yes true. But I suppose in this specific context we're talking about a MHL/HDMI Adaptor rather than a hdmi cable (a hdmi cable does get plugged into the adopter though). It's the cheaper non Samsung adopters that can cause picture quality issues from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Just ordered one on ebay for around €9 coming from china - it says it is an offical one will see. It was around €35 on other european sites.

Yes true. But I suppose in this specific context we're talking about a MHL/HDMI Adaptor rather than a hdmi cable (a hdmi cable does get plugged into the adopter though). It's the cheaper non Samsung adopters that can cause picture quality issues from what I've read.

Maybe, but that shouldn't be the case. There is a connection or there is no connection - its on or off. A 2 euro adapter should be the same connection quality as a 100 euro one. The 100 euro adapter may have extras, such as a power adapter to charge your phone simultaneously or flashing lights but thats about it. Shops selling gold plated HDMI leads for 100 quid for a better connection are a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Maybe, but that shouldn't be the case. There is a connection or there is no connection - its on or off. A 2 euro adapter should be the same connection quality as a 100 euro one. The 100 euro adapter may have extras, such as a power adapter to charge your phone simultaneously or flashing lights but thats about it. Shops selling gold plated HDMI leads for 100 quid for a better connection are a scam.

true for a 100% hdmi cable, but for the mini usb>hdmi im not sure. got any references to check this info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm using a standard HDMI to mini HDMI adapter (4.95 in Tesco) and a standard HDMI cable from the €2 shop next door to connect my tablet to the TV, no issues.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm using a standard HDMI to mini HDMI adapter (4.95 in Tesco) and a standard HDMI cable from the €2 shop next door to connect my tablet to the TV, no issues.

I have the exact same at home for my tablet,

But id be interested in seeing the results of the hdmi for the note2/s3 as I have both those devices too.

Yes but the Note 2 doesn't have a hdmi out port per say. You need a special adopter that plugs into the micro usb slot on the phone. That then provides a hdmi port to plug your hdmi cable into.
    eg

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-2-mhlhdmi-adaptor

I do understand the arguments put forward for cheap €2 hdmi cables vs expensive gold plated etc (I buy the €2 version myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Shops selling gold plated HDMI leads for 100 quid for a better connection are a scam.

I have gold plated optical cables here :D

true for a 100% hdmi cable, but for the mini usb>hdmi im not sure. got any references to check this info?

What's so special about a usb cable? Its just a bunch of wires and the adapter just passes that connection through to the HDMI cable, which is also a bunch of wires. They either pass the signal on or they do not. You can get these adapters off amazon for 10 usd with remote ports and charging ability included.

What's so special about a usb cable? Its just a bunch of wires and the adapter just passes that connection through to the HDMI cable, which is also a bunch of wires. They either pass the signal on or they do not. You can get these adapters off amazon for 10 usd with remote ports and charging ability included.

Well, if its a bunch of wires, sure i can just plug my phone straight into the Ariel and bypass the tv all together.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Cable-Samsung-support-Surround/dp/B009FU51BE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=10NFNJRJS2XES&coliid=I3JPIQ2FC4WE0X

This specifically, Id like to know if there is a signal degradation caused by the adapter to HDMi

Well, if its a bunch of wires, sure i can just plug my phone straight into the Ariel and bypass the tv all together.

Was this supposed to be helpful?

What's so special about a usb cable? Its just a bunch of wires and the adapter just passes that connection through to the HDMI cable, which is also a bunch of wires.

was this?

was this?

Yes actually. Digital signals either work or they do not, as i have said previously. You do not get a degradation in quality - you just get no data at the other end.

until it passes through an adapter or longer wire

until it passes through an adapter or longer wire

Basic adapters just connect wires together, they do not perform any other functions and would be subject to working or not working.

If you have some info that poor quality adapters will result in a poor quality connection please share them. I don;t think anyone here wants someone to fork out a wad of cash when a couple of euro will do.

• Advertisement

Im not really sure what youre driving at. Im not trying to convince people to spend extra money on expensive cables. A cheap hdmi is as effective as an expensive hdmi of the same size.

All I did was ask if you had any documentation to say that a USB-hdmi cable would be subject to degradation. You can keep repeating that 'its just a bunch of wires, or its just a connection' till youre blue in the face' it wont draw any real conclusions

Im not really sure what youre driving at. Im not trying to convince people to spend extra money on expensive cables. A cheap hdmi is as effective as an expensive hdmi of the same size.

All I did was ask if you had any documentation to say that a USB-hdmi cable would be subject to degradation. You can keep repeating that 'its just a bunch of wires, or its just a connection' till youre blue in the face' it wont draw any real conclusions

There is a lot of info out about digital signal degradation, feel free to search for it yourself. The basic adapter doesn't process anything, its just a pass through. The adapter won't degrade the signal. Much like a standard digital cable it will either pass on the data properly or it will not, resulting in an on or off scenario. To that end a cheap adapter (and hdmi cable) will perform that function the same as an expensive one. Some expensive adapters will perform additional functions though, as i mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I got this one for my s3 and works well. You do need at least a 1amp usb plug to power it initially but once you've got it going it'll work from the tv's usb socket.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170943685485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I got this one from ebay for my Galaxy Nexus. Works just fine as long as it's powered. Default output is 720p, I have to test it with a 1080p video source to make sure it definitely supports that resolution, but it's supposed to.

Sky Go won't work with a HDMI output connected (or on a rooted device for that matter) :(

But Netflix works great, as do various games I tested like The Dark Knight Rises.

Next step for me is to hook up my PS3 controller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

ceejay wrote: »
    I got this one from ebay for my Galaxy Nexus. Works just fine as long as it's powered. Default output is 720p, I have to test it with a 1080p video source to make sure it definitely supports that resolution, but it's supposed to.

Sky Go won't work with a HDMI output connected (or on a rooted device for that matter) :(

But Netflix works great, as do various games I tested like The Dark Knight Rises.

Next step for me is to hook up my PS3 controller :)

Sixaxis controller from the market works well for for the gta games, need to set up the controls but well worth it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you need to look at the nature of the data transfer, its not like analog, this is digital, signal degradation and data degradation would be different, its akin to usb basically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgeaeXM4SpM

Might be helpful, read the comments regarding the Galaxy S3.

Some MHL adaptors work with some phones and not others.

Some phones are not MHL-ready.

Advertisement