Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointed.... sky go related

Options
  • 11-01-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭

So had a good idea, spend a lot of Sundays in the parents and thought if i bought the HDMI adaptor i could watch the football up there through my S3....

Got the adaptor today, upscaling is very impressive in fairness, however sky go detects a hdmi cable connected and prevents the app from lainching.....

Is there a way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you tried running the app first then connecting the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Use it on a laptop instead ? genius as it sounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

listermint wrote: »
    Use it on a laptop instead ? genius as it sounds..

Did all that before, a lot of dragging cables and laptops around, would be much easier to just bring up the phone ya know....

No, im guessing it will stop working when it detects a hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Whenever I've connected my laptop to my TV for sky go the picture has been crap/unwatchable. New laptop/Smart TV/UPC 25 mb broadband.

• Advertisement

No, im guessing it will stop working when it detects a hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

tonc76 wrote: »
    Whenever I've connected my laptop to my TV for sky go the picture has been crap/unwatchable. New laptop/Smart TV/UPC 25 mb broadband.

Used it in my dads, 2 year old HP/Old Panasonic Veira Plasma/ UPC25Mb over hdmi and picture quality was perfect ;)

Yeah, as I thought, it finds the HDMI straight away and stops the app, bad form on Sky's part if you ask me...

Is there any way around this? Rooting etc???

No way around it I'm afraid, just be lucky that Sky Go runs on your phone at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

This is the reason they are so slow realising apps for Android. Something to do with copyright bla bla bla......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Rooting etc???
    That'll stop it working altogether. Rooted devices not allowed, because only dirty pirates root their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    This is the reason they are so slow realising apps for Android. Something to do with copyright bla bla bla......

More like screen resolution, hardware differences, multiple manufacturers with little or no standard to stick to.. makes it hard to develop for the 'masses' in the Android space. Sky usually cater for the top devices across the HTC/Samsung/LG/Nexus/Sony range.

HTC Desire
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Incredible S
    HTC Sensation
    HTC Sensation XE
    HTC Desire X
    HTC One V
    HTC One S
    HTC One X
    HTC One XL
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
    Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE
    LG 4X HD
    LG Nexus 4
    Nexus 7” Tablet
    Sony Xperia S
    Sony Xperia T

Fragmentation isn't ideal but no problem for Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

tonc76 wrote: »

Never had an issue and thats with archaic bit's of gear at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ciarsd wrote: »

More like screen resolution, hardware differences, multiple manufacturers with little or no standard to stick to.. makes it hard to develop for the 'masses' in the Android space. Sky usually cater for the top devices across the HTC/Samsung/LG/Nexus/Sony range.

Their just trying to be annoying. Its so stupid that I can't use KT because my S3 is rooted. Some one up there controlling that part has always been a dick.

Little small companies release apps on multiple platforms. Why can't a massive media company do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

bad form on Sky's part if you ask me...

it's called "protecting their business"

the object of sky go is not for you to be sneaky and share your sky sub on a big screen via a phone, its for you to watch your sky sub on your phone "on the go"

hardly bad form.

the object of sky go is not for you to be sneaky and share your sky sub on a big screen via a phone, its for you to watch your sky sub on your phone "on the go"

hardly bad form.

Yes, but again, No such isssues with Netflix.

hardly bad form.

You can share your sky sub on a big screen via a laptop though. Also via an xbox. It is not supposed to be just "on the go" as you say.

So why do they prevent it then? out of the badness of their black corporate hearts?

they know the first thing someone is gonna do is to "borrow" someones sky login so they can watch it on their telly and avoid paying the sky sub.....its sound business sense. not bad form. I totally understand why they do it.

So why do they prevent it then? out of the badness of their black corporate hearts?

Yes
    they know the first thing someone is gonna do is to "borrow" someones sky login so they can watch it on their telly and avoid paying the sky sub.....its sound business sense. not bad form. I totally understand why they do it.

Yes, but you can have at most 2 devices registered at a time and only make one switch a month or something like this.
    Also, even if that wasn't the case, your logic of borrowing a sub could still be done with sky go on a laptop, xbox etc. so your point is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Yes, but you can have at most 2 devices registered at a time and only make one switch a month or something like this.
    Also, even if that wasn't the case, your logic of borrowing a sub could still be done with sky go on a laptop, xbox etc. so your point is irrelevant.

I think it's very relevant, the app is designed to be used on a phone only. they have every right to do it, not that i agree with it. as an xbox is connected to a tv there're not likely to restrict its use, and i'm no software engineer but if they were able to restrict its output from a laptop (which i dont think is possible to do) they would.

I'd say the usage from phones and tablets far outnumbers the usage on laptops/xbox anyway, so like i said before they're protecting their interests...

.....and not at all bad form.

Sky has a three device limitation per account

i.e. Xbox, Windows Media Center, Sky Go

hardly bad form.

First off, going to assume when you say 'you' you don't directly mean me personally & are talking in the more general use of the word?

Assuming you are correct and they are protecting their business they are not doing a very good job. As pointed out above, laptops can show sky go programs on a tv, so why pick out phones??? Also as a part 2 to this, why have other companies not prevented this sort of thing?

The sad fact of it all is that your right, yet soool wrong. You call it 'protecting' when lets call a spade a spade here, its ****in greed simple as. In my opinion....

I PAY for sky
    I PAY for sky sports
    I BOUGHT my android device
    I PAY my mobile contract every month
    I BOUGHT a HDMI connection for this purpose

Not giving out here as I know others pay and do the same but to misread the situation as you have and call it protecting is plain laughable

First off, going to assume when you say 'you' you don't directly mean me personally & are talking in the more general use of the word?

Assuming you are correct and they are protecting their business they are not doing a very good job. As pointed out above, laptops can show sky go programs on a tv, so why pick out phones??? Also as a part 2 to this, why have other companies not prevented this sort of thing?

The sad fact of it all is that your right, yet soool wrong. You call it 'protecting' when lets call a spade a spade here, its ****in greed simple as. In my opinion....

I PAY for sky
    I PAY for sky sports
    I BOUGHT my android device
    I PAY my mobile contract every month
    I BOUGHT a HDMI connection for this purpose

Not giving out here as I know others pay and do the same but to misread the situation as you have and call it protecting is plain laughable

first off, you assume correctly.

secondly because the technology exists that they can do it on phones, and not on other devices (see my post above)

secondly part 2, other companies arent sky.

thirdly, you are right you have paid for/bought all those things. but you also agreed to skys terms and conditions......right?

saying "its bad form" that sky dont let you view sky go via a phones hdmi output is like saying its bad form that mobile networks simlock their phones.

it's not bad form, its business, and even though i may not agree with it, it is what it is.

dont like it? dont give sky your business.

*edit* Also, the most obvious point, which should really be staring us all in the face is: for sky go to work, you must have a sky account. to have a sky account, no doubt you have a sky box, which is hooked up to your tv. if thats the case, why do you need to output sky go to your tv anyway?

Sky is marketed for people who want to watch sky while temporarily away from their tv, eg on a laptop, tablet or phone...ie on the go.....hooking it up to your tv is not that, and its not gonna be a feature they'll give you.

first off, you assume correctly.

secondly because the technology exists that they can do it on phones, and not on other devices (see my post above)

secondly part 2, other companies arent sky.

thirdly, you are right you have paid for/bought all those things. but you also agreed to skys terms and conditions......right?

saying "its bad form" that sky dont let you view sky go via a phones hdmi output is like saying its bad form that mobile networks simlock their phones.

it's not bad form, its business, and even though i may not agree with it, it is what it is.

dont like it? dont give sky your business.

*edit* Also, the most obvious point, which should really be staring us all in the face is: for sky go to work, you must have a sky account. to have a sky account, no doubt you have a sky box, which is hooked up to your tv. if thats the case, why do you need to output sky go to your tv anyway?

Sky is marketed for people who want to watch sky while temporarily away from their tv, eg on a laptop, tablet or phone...ie on the go.....hooking it up to your tv is not that, and its not gonna be a feature they'll give you.

its pointless arguing some of the above as we differ in our views, but i will pick out a few points...

Terms, firstly Im sure im not the only one with the hand up here, never have/never will read em. They are there to cover said company. Nothing more to say on this other than we are binded to adhere to whatever sky want us to do here, life i suppose....

Regarding sky and my business, I would like to expand on this but I won't. I'll say this though, if sky did monopolize football rights they would be told where to go, not just by me id be guessing....

Regards my home setup, its an obvious question with a very very simple answer. Kids. I (as a paying sky customer) would prefer to watch the football in HD on my small tv in the backroom whilst smallie watches tiny pop!!! Also, yes it would be handy up in the parents, not going to lie about that.

I never expected them to 'give' me that feature but when they take it away..... like i said, bad form.

I sincerely hope someone out there clever enough figures a way around this (not likely)... its just like the time when sky were trying to stop the pubs showing the football on the foreign channels and they couldn't.....

Side note: I think locked phones are a joke also and bad form considering they can be unlocked, at least the OWNER of the device is just that....

1. Regards my home setup, its an obvious question with a very very simple answer. Kids. I (as a paying sky customer) would prefer to watch the football in HD on my small tv in the backroom whilst smallie watches tiny pop!!!

2.I never expected them to 'give' me that feature but when they take it away..... like i said, bad form.

3.Side note: I think locked phones are a joke also and bad form considering they can be unlocked, at least the OWNER of the device is just that....

1. sky multiroom

2. they cant take away what was never there to begin with.

3. you are not the full owner. you buy a phone from a network store, it is subsidised, a little bit on prepay, and a lot more on bill pay. once you pay back the network either in credit or in line rental/revenue they unlock it for you then you can do what you like. want an unlocked phone on day 1? buy it full whack online or from a non affiliated shop.

...thems the breaks.

1. sky multiroom

2. they cant take away what was never there to begin with.

3. you are not the full owner. you buy a phone from a network store, it is subsidised, a little bit on prepay, and a lot more on bill pay. once you pay back the network either in credit or in line rental/revenue they unlock it for you then you can do what you like. want an unlocked phone on day 1? buy it full whack online or from a non affiliated shop.

...thems the breaks.

1. OR go the laptop to tv route, or ipad route....

2. How would you describe it? Blocking/removing/disabling... getting pretty playground now if we are going to disagree on the wording of it....

3. I think its just an Irish thing (yes I'm Irish) to just sit back and say 'ah sure' to any **** that is thrown at us, we have a good moan about things and get on with it. Thank christ not everyone adopts this (your) attitude towards these things. We'd have no jailbreaks, roms, torrents etc!!! We would simply get our company spec products out of the box and conform accordingly to whatever **** protocols they set out for us!!!!!

You say in point 3 that my phone is not mine since i'm on bill, correct, now should that prevent me from installing a custom rom? Since I am not the owner I should conform to whatever rules the provider set out? Ha ha!!!! Doubt it, what a boring world we would live in.....

Dude just stop complaining. You just don't want to pay for a multi room subscription and that's it. I don't think the problem in regards to that matter is with Sky Go.

The only problems I can see with Sky Go is that they wont let you use it with a rooted phone, and they wont allow the app to run on non approved hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I find that the picture quality is worse than what it was before

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    I find that the picture quality is worse than what it was before
    Must be a connection problem on your side.

Advertisement