Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say go for the best battery you can and still expect to be disappointed tbh. 1750 mA on the X1 vs 2670 mA on the G3.

No phone mentioned here will beat the Nexus 4 by the way, not a hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Not sure if I'm ready for a 4.5 inch phone. I'm a jeans pocket type. The Umi's battery looks like the killer for me. Very poor. "Scratch proof" doesn't stop it shattering either! The problem I have is even if there's a new batch of G2S with the kinks ironed out, you never really know if you're going to get one of them when you order, do you.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm ready for a 4.5 inch phone. I'm a jeans pocket type.

My 7 inch tablet fits in my jeans pocket so don't let that put you off!

Gah, there was some dust between the LCD and digitizer on my N97 mini and, when I took it off, I was so intent on keeping the digitizer's cable in the socket I managed to snap the other end off! While I'm waiting for a new one (which will be it's second replacement, last one due to scratches), I think I might upgrade...
    So, I guess my choices here are:

Huawei G300 from Vodafone = €150
    Jiayu G2 Dual Core 1Gb +32Gb card €138 + 21% = €167
    Jiayu G2S Dual Core 1Gb +32Gb card €165 + 21% = €199

If I could be certain the G2S had that mentioned screen problem ironed out, it'd be straight in there as a Retina IPS for €200!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Nomoret sure if I'm ready for a 4.5 inchI phone. I'm a jeans pocket type. The Umi's battery looks like the killer for me. Very poor. "Scratch proof" doesn't stop it shattering either! The problem I have is even if there's a new batch of G2S with the kinks ironed out, you never really know if you're going to get one of them when you order, do you.

I have the UMI X1 which I rooted and upgraded to jellybean. The phone looks great, better than the s2. it's fast and the battery lasts all day. The screen is good and hasn't scratched after 1 month use. I did have to make a system change to get deep sleep. The phone does not feel too big in hand or pocket.
    The build quality is not as.good as a Samsung. The back cover is not a great fit. I have 2 white dots on the screen but you only see them with a white background. This is a known problem with Ips screens and could happen to an Apple. Also there is an issue with earlier versions and GPS but that can easily be fixed with a tiny modification.
    I also had the Jiayu G2 which is a great build but not as good looking.
    If you want slim and good looking go for UMI, if you want solid and chunky go for the Jiayu.

I will keep the Uni for a few more months then go for whatever is new then.

• Advertisement

vin33 wrote: »
    I have the UMI X1 which I rooted and upgraded to jellybean. The phone looks great, better than the s2. it's fast and the battery lasts all day. The screen is good and hasn't scratched after 1 month use. I did have to make a system change to get deep sleep. The phone does not feel too big in hand or pocket.
    That's interesting, because I can't find anywhere about the Umi's screen, while the G2 is often listed as "gorilla glass" (whether that's true or not). The Umi is a beautiful phone alright...

That's interesting, because I can't find anywhere about the Umi's screen, while the G2 is often listed as "gorilla glass" (whether that's true or not). The Umi is a beautiful phone alright...

Try gizchina for reviews and specs. As far as I recall its not Corning gorilla glass but their Japanese competition, I don't remember the brand. Whereas Jiayu use corning both for the g3 and the dual core g2. Standard g2 does not have gorilla glass. Either way Umi screen doesn't scratch.
    It's very well supported, see xda-developers. I have already installed 2 different ROMs both on jellybean which is very fast and I'm happy with battery performance. But I use only one sim and don't play games. As I said the GPS does not work without a modification which I have not done as it will invalidate warranty. Some have got gps working with config changes.

I hear that the g3 battery performance is not great considering the size of it but I assume that has to be s/w related. I do like the look of the g3 and I may still buy the g3. It reminds me of HTC phones.

The main two points with Chinese phones, choose brand carefully and if you have issues which require warranty it's a long way to China. But one third the price for the same specs probably made in the same factories as the premium brands.

Japan AGC tempered glass versus Corning Gorilla glass.

I'm probably still leaning more G2/G2S than Umi X1/G3 to be honest. I'm coming from an old phone with a 3.2 inch screen. I'll be easily impressed.
    I don't mind the G2 being a little bit fatter, as at least some of that volume seems to have gone into the battery.
    Has anyone here got a G2S on order? I'd wait for a few reviews to help me decide if anybody's waiting on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Huawei G300 from Vodafone = €150
    Jiayu G2 Dual Core 1Gb +32Gb card €138 + 21% = €167
    Jiayu G2S Dual Core 1Gb +32Gb card €165 + 21% = €199

I'm in the hunt for a phone in around the same bracket myself. I was going to buy one a few weeks ago but the missus got herself a free Android via Cherry Points so I took the opportunity to mess around and get familiar with it. :D

I've narrowed it down to the Huawei G330 from Meteor (same price as Vodafone but Dual core with a Facing camera for Skype too), the Alcatel 997D (200 squid from Germany or the UK) and the G2S. There are pros and cons for all (not least of which is the G330's 512 mb of Ram compared to the other's 1 gb) but I'm tempted by the Huawei solely on the basis of being able to return it to a retailer here if anything goes wrong with it. I take it that would be a moot point if I decide to root the phone, yes?

At least when I order from the EU I'm covered under distance selling regulations whereas if I get a phone from China I might be left on my own or waiting a very long time for a repair. Anyone know if Huawei have plans for a cheap Dual Core 1 gb Ram phone later this year? ;)

• Advertisement

At least 1 GB or RAM required these days imo, 512 doesnt cut it anymore.

I don't mind the G2 being a little bit fatter, as at least some of that volume seems to have gone into the battery.

I know that the G2 battery performance is really good with lots of usage ie games etc. My daughter is using it mostly for games & music.
    I assume the G2S will be just as good although I hear the G3 has issues with battery leakage. See threads on xda-developers.

Personally I would go for G3 over G2S. I had planned to buy the G3 but got impatient and bought the UMI. Although both might seem chunky after having the UMI.

G3 has power drain issues in the ICS stock rom only, move to Jellybean and its fixed apparently, will be testing in a week or 2.

Bidiots I keep forgetting to ask, what is the FM Radio feature like on these? Is it an actual piece of the phones hardware or just some sh1tty radio streaming app?

Thargor wrote: »
    Bidiots I keep forgetting to ask, what is the FM Radio feature like on these? Is it an actual piece of the phones hardware or just some sh1tty radio streaming app?
    If it's FM then it has to be an FM antenna, separate from the internet connection I would've thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

G3 has power drain issues in the ICS stock rom only, move to Jellybean and its fixed apparently, will be testing in a week or 2.

UMI X1 was the same with battery leakage with ICS and first jellybean rom
    plus it needed an update to /system/build.prop to enable deep sleep.

Also bugs with SIMs swapped on first jellybean.

If it's FM then it has to be an FM antenna, separate from the internet connection I would've thought.

I had never used the FM radio before but just tried it on UMI X1 and its fine.
    I assume the Jiaju's would be the same. Certainly I've never heard of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Okay, I've ordered a black G3 with mixeshop as well, delivery with DHL.
    1 of. JIAYU JY-G3 MTK6577 Dual Core 4.5 Inch Gorilla Glass IPS 1280 x 720 Pixels Retina Screen 1G RAM Android 4.0 3G GPS WiFi Smart Phone

Accessories: Screen protector
    SD card: 32GB
    Accessories: Seat charger
    Colour: Black

Sub-Total : US$213.00
    DHL 3-5days: US$26.84
    paypal fee: US$8.52

Grand Total : US$248.36 approximately €187

Fingers crossed it comes quickly and lives up to my expectations..!

Here's hoping we're not disappointed alright, if this works out I could see myself sticking to the best of the Chinese generics every year or two from now on and never buying Samsung again, Id love a decent 5 inch screen without having to spend 600 on a note 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Here's hoping we're not disappointed alright, if this works out I could see myself sticking to the best of the Chinese generics every year or two from now on and never buying Samsung again, Id love a decent 5 inch screen without having to spend 600 on a note 2.

Seen the question about the FM radio has been answered.

I've sold my G3 and will be getting the G2S as soon as a good batch is ready. That, plus a Nexus 7 will do me. G2S + Nexus 7 all in for about 400:D

cough Traitor cough... :D

Noticed mixeshop has G2S with big red notice 'arrived, 2-3 days ship'. Is this the new batch you are waiting for?

I think so, I've been in touch with them about it and they got back to my email to say that there are no issues with the batch they have. Wouldn't know until I bought I suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jiayu G4 looks the business, but it has not been released yet. The page you linked to is a pre-order page. I wouldn't mind a G4 myself, but I am just after ordering a G3...

Nice looking alright but I wouldn't order it untried no matter how much they promised, need to see a few user reviews first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Quite tempted to get one of these to have a decent android phone as a secondary device, to mod and mess around with. Which one though...hmmmm

If you want a phone to mess around with you should probably go for a more mainstream brand with better support from the communities, ROM options for these are very limited at the minute, hopefully the G3 will get as popular as the G2 in a few months but right now theres only 2 or 3 ROMs Id actually want to put on it as far as I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you want a phone to mess around with you should probably go for a more mainstream brand with better support from the communities, ROM options for these are very limited at the minute, hopefully the G3 will get as popular as the G2 in a few months but right now theres only 2 or 3 ROMs Id actually want to put on it as far as I can see...

Cheers man, I think I'll wait and see how people on here get on. Have a HTC 8x at the minute, which I love, just half tempted to try an android device on the cheap for a little while!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement