Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you take the law into your own hands if the legal system failed you??

Options
  • 11-01-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

If the law failed you in a regard. And the person who wronged you remained unpunished through our legal system, for something quite serious, a rape for example. Would you take it upon yourself to take the law into your own hands to see the perpetrator punished, knowing full well what the repercussions could be?

I'm not a violent person, quite the opposite. I really don't have any sort of temper. But theoretically I imagine if my girlfriend had been raped and there was no justice through our legal system, I think I'd almost feel obliged to take matters into my own hands.

My conscious would be telling me that this is the wrong approach to the situation, but I don't think I could feel relief myself on a very selfish level perhaps unless I did.

How about you?

I guess I'll start off the jokes so we can get them out of the way...
    ..."Thinly Veiled I have a girlfriend thread" :rolleyes: (- No, I don't)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Thread could do with a poll.

Put me down for a yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I don't think anyone can truly answer that until the comes, and we all deep down would prefer never to be in that position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Without a doubt,if anyone broke into my house id mutilate them,if they done anything to my family id leave them incapable of living in any comfort rather than give them the privilage of death.

I'm nice,but don't fook with my family or my property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

In theory yeas.

In reality it hasn't happened so I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'd contact Mick Wallace. He knows people who know people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Agricola wrote: »
    I'd contact Mick Wallace. He knows people who know people.
    meh,the pink shirt gang are a bunch of pansys.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

As the old proverb says, he who is intent on revenge must first dig 2 graves...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I would handcuff them then tell them to watch their head, oooooooooo look it explodes just like a melon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I would.

I have been wronged by a few people that thought they were above the law before but for the sake of a better word, I got my "revenge".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

If anyone hurt my little girl, yes. I am non violent, but if someone hurts/abuses/kills a child solitary for life meaning until death should be the minimum punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

No. I'm no anarchist.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Definitely would. Knowing myself there is no way I would be able to let that go.

Something that serious would have me planning ways to make someone disappear. Well planned, obviously no point in going off in a rage and then getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I'd rape them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I would.

I have been wronged by a few people that thought they were above the law before but for the sake of a better word, I got my "revenge".

I want to know the better word, I am dyslexic, (I now know how to spell this word from the other thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

No. At least I don't think so.

I have already been in a situation where the legal system failed me, for something very serious, and I did not take it into my own hands, nor would I. I had always thought previous to the actual thing happening that I would, but in the heel of the hunt I didn't and it was the wiser but imperfect decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Honestly, yes.

Otherwise I'd just think they're laughing away to themselves that they got away with it.

Rape or murder of a family member = no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There's a legal system? We just shoot em round here. How does a man access this "legal system" you speak of? And does it involve shooting them legally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

If anyone hurt my little girl, yes. I am non violent, but if someone hurts/abuses/kills a child solitary for life meaning until death should be the minimum punishment.

While noble, the problem with this is that the person who harmed your child was already found non guilty, so s/he can't be tried again, that means they walk free.

Meanwhile, you have committed a crime, you are already set up because you have motive, and lo and behold you are the one who is in prison and you are no longer able to protect your little girl because you are behind bars, and that monster is walking free, even MORE able than before to do more harm because you are the one on prison, or death row if you are in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Yes...or to quote Anthrax: 'I am the law' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Yes...or to quote Anthrax: 'I am the law' :D

Was that not Judge Dredd?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would depend on the consequences.

If I did, I'd probably go after him, but not violently. I'm a pacificst and don;t think violence solves anything.

Plus, you can **** up someone's life a lot better psychologically. :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bedshaped

No, I would not.

We put the system in place and if the system fails you, change the system.

No single person has the right to take justice into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Someone could put me in hospital and I'd get over it.

You harm my wife or childern, ill cut your throat (not that I'd enjoy the hard time that would come with it). I'd die a little each day if anyone hurt my family and was walking around Free as a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Marsden wrote: »
    Was that not Judge Dredd?

Anthrax got that from Judge Dredd, the song is based on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd do what those Americans in Steubenville did and plaster the incriminating evidence all over the internet. The hive delivers far more efficient justice than our suspended sentence addicts in the judiciary these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Yep, no question.

I also skip red lights on my bike when there is no one around. Mad max would be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I want to know the better word, I am dyslexic, (I now know how to spell this word from the other thread).

I dunno....

comeuppance?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Yes. I would get my revenge but would be very careful about it so that I would't end up in trouble. I would let the hare sit for a good while and then start a campaign of harassment towards him/her. Anonymous threats to his home/workplace. Contacting the undertaker to call to his house in connection with a death. Everything and anything which would drive him mad. Discrete observation of his movements and when the right opportunity comes BANG, ACROSS THE KNEECAPS WITH A HURLEY. Stick a "paedo out" poster on his house and let the Evening Herald loose on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No, cause then the law will take care of you.

Advertisement