Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Doctor thumbs up

Options
  • 19-12-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

The wife's car has been suffering from long brake pedal travel and despite asking the main dealer from where we bought the car on 2 occasions to try to sort it out, they did not. One trip to Nissan Doctor and the pedal now feels perfect, the brakes bled properly and now no heart in mouth after an inch of travel where nothing happens.

Very happy with that, he is an asset to his place of work. Cheers ND!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

main dealers are usually useless for most things! often they will out source jobs to an independent at trade price and charge your full dealer prices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Idbatterim wrote: »
    main dealers are usually useless for most things!

You'd imagine that when dealing with one brand of car all day they would notice when one has worse brakes then all the rest:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ND - check your PMs please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Idbatterim wrote: »
    main dealers are usually useless for most things! often they will out source jobs to an independent at trade price and charge your full dealer prices...

never came across this? with bodywork perhaps, but never mechanical/ repairs?

never came across this? with bodywork perhaps, but never mechanical/ repairs?

BMW dealers here haven't a notion about my wastegate issues. I know a sh!tload more than they do so I agree with what he said ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BMW dealers here haven't a notion about my wastegate issues. I know a sh!tload more than they do so I agree with what he said ;)

I know my indy will listen to me when I tell him what I think is wrong with the car after researching it, while the one main dealer I dealt with once looked at me as if I was insane giving my opinion.

Last issue I had was the thermostat going, ran mechanic, said thermo gone, he asked a few questions, said I'll order the part.

Dealing with a main dealer that one time, they refused to listen to me.

Was just once, but really put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

totally. im not disagreeing that main dealers product knowledge can be poor at times, i agree with that.

just saying making a statement like main dealers outsource their mechanical repairs doesn't really sound correct?

totally. im not disagreeing that main dealers product knowledge can be poor at times, i agree with that.

just saying making a statement like main dealers outsource their mechanical repairs doesn't really sound correct?

My apologies Andy, I didn't actually read the post you quoted :o

Top Car in Cork (who evolved into Drive MotorGroup in 2006 iirc and who went bust a few years later) used to outsource (servicing etc) to a local independent (at least one) way back in the 90s so I wouldn't be overly sceptical of it happening tbh, admittedly as a concept it does appear ludicrous so I can see where you're coming from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

I often do mechanical work for main dealers (plural), usually after they have made a balls of diagnosing the problem. It is embarassing for them, but they just cant afford to spend any more time trying to fix themselves. (as the owner is screaming by this stage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mech1 wrote: »
    I often do mechanical work for main dealers (plural), usually after they have made a balls of diagnosing the problem. It is embarassing for them, but they just cant afford to spend any more time trying to fix themselves. (as the owner is screaming by this stage).

I wonder what the charge for customer is in this case. I once seen a note at local Renault dealer regarding 1hr cost, can't remember the figure but i ran away as quickly as i could.
    It has to be embarassing for main dealer mechanic to outsource the job.
    Keeps you in business at the same time, i bet you don't mind extra work from them, unless they made total mess and blamed you afterwards...

You'd imagine that when dealing with one brand of car all day they would notice when one has worse brakes then all the rest:rolleyes:

But their diagnostic computer didn't show any faults. Some garages - not just dealers - can't work without numbers thrown up during diagnostics...

here is a good one! my bro's girlfriends uncle has a bmw 630, it starts over heating according to the gauge in the cabin, brings it into bmw. So you would assume straight off its the thermostat right? they replace thermostat, radiator and water pump. If the rad was leaking, it would be obvious from coolant level, which was fine. Water pump gone on car wih just over 40k miles? possible, highly unlikely. All yours for only E2200...

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't just assume thermostat when I hear overheating however, no way would I agree to that repair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

The problem with a lot of bigger main dealers is you are never talking to a mechanic unless you ask to. Its usually a service manager who may not have a clue.

Not saying this is the case in every place but it has been in a few i have dealings with.

Here is one we had in work a few months ago and a great example of the main dealer(especially 'premium' main dealer) attitude of couldn't be arsed/don't know how to diagnose issues properly and just replace things untill the problem goes away.

In this case a Mercedes E200k was failing the NCT emissions test and this was the report from Mercedes having charged the customer over €650 in labour plus over €600 in parts.

IMG_20120906_113252.jpg

IMG_20120906_113309.jpg

When I opened the bonnet I could hear a slight hissing noise that didn't sound right in the normal sound of the engine running, studying the live data and performing a vacuum test showed a split vacuum hose under the airfilter housing(which is also a very common problem with these engines) this was replaced with a few euro hose from Mercedes and the emissions rechecked......all perfect so we brought the car for the retest and got it passed without the customer even knowing we had the problem fixed:)

IMO the reason why some main dealers get away with this is that they simply play on the mindset that no-one could know more then them, be it customers or other garages, and unfortunately, people, especially those who have spent big money on new cars, buy into this.

IMO the reason why some main dealers get away with this is that they simply play on the mindset that no-one could know more then them, be it customers or other garages, and unfortunately, people, especially those who have spent big money on new cars, buy into this.
    completely agree with you about their just "replace everything option until its fixed"its win win for them! Thats what they did on my mums old almera... Youd wonder though, are they just clueless though, or just taking advantage, particularly now that new car sales have fallen through the floor...

I have a 325ci and even though its about to turn 10 years old, I wouldnt leave it into a main delaer to get serviced, because of the price yes, but also but also because they are likely going to have an apprentice doing the job and I wouldnt even be too surprised if they said it was serviced and it wasnt. Think that happened to my bro in the BMW dealership near rathgar motors factors a year or two back...

Here is one we had in work a few months ago and a great example of the main dealer(especially 'premium' main dealer) attitude of couldn't be arsed/don't know how to ..........

That's a disgrace. You would think at least when looking at there own brand cars day in day out, they might at least pick up on common faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

But how about those lazy indies who ring up the hated main dealer and after describing some symptoms they expect you to diagnose the fault+order the right part?

What about this one:
    "Hi I'm looking for a vacuum hose."
    "Grand,which one exactly?"
    "The one that runs from the inlet manifold to a solenoid or something."
    "Which solenoid is that?What does it do?"
    "I don't know,you tell me..."
    ":mad:"

Or

"I'm looking for a coolant hose."
    "OK,which one?Where does it go etc.?"
    "I dunno,about 10 inches long and hard to see..."

What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush,as I've seen many feckups from both sides (dealer or indy)

• Advertisement

gibbon75 wrote: »
    But how about hose lazy indies who ring up the hated main dealer and after describing some symptoms they expect you to diagnose the fault+order the right part?

What about this one:
    "Hi I'm looking for a vacuum hose."
    "Grand,which one exactly?"
    "The one that runs from the inlet manifold to a solenoid or something."
    "Which solenoid is that?What does it do?"
    "I don't know,you tell me..."

Or

"I'm looking for a coolant hose."
    "OK,which one?Where does it go etc.?"
    "I dunno,about 10 inches long and hard to see..."

What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush,as I've seen many feckups from both sides (dealer or indy)

While it's stupid to be calling up not knowing what you are looking for, there are times when only a look at the exploded parts diagram will reveal what is needed.

mickdw wrote: »
    While it's stupid to be calling up not knowing what you are looking for, there are times when only a look at the exploded parts diagram will reveal what is needed.

When I'm calling a dealer for parts I normally ask them to send me the exploded diagram so I can pick the correct part number because I got blue in the face of parts guys saying they knew what I was asking for and then sending the wrong part.:rolleyes:

When I'm calling a dealer for parts I normally ask them to send me the exploded diagram so I can pick the correct part number because I got blue in the face of parts guys saying they knew what I was asking for and then sending the wrong part.:rolleyes:

I work with 5 different EPCs and most of the time it isn't that simple and straightforward as most people think,plus there are piles of mistakes and errors in every EPC.

But I know the Boards motto by heart:all of us main dealer employees are to be blamed for everything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

By the sounds of some of the stories in this thread there are some shady dealers out there but just because I work in a main dealer I would be terribly offended to be painted with this brush that "all main dealers are useless"
    The other side of the coin is I have dealt with alot of Indy guys that shouldn't be allowed near cars let alone pop the bonnet,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

VW tried to mess my misses around in a similar way but I have been fairly rip off free with MB.

I am amazed by the Mercedes mess up and the fact they documented the appalling service. However is it from a main dealer? The paper work I get for my Merc from a main dealer is clearly water marked with MB logo. I have challenged my dealers service department a number of times and some man hours has been removed from the final invoice. The STAR diagnostic is the worst thing MB have done as it is now left to a junior mechanic idiot to diagnose faults and not a senior engineer as it used to be.

EDIT: Just googled and its quite clear its a main dealer, I am sure MB would like to hear about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ferris

OT maybe but I remember looking this issue up when I was looking at a 335:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/all-e90-335i-turbo-wastegate-rattle-problem-fix-t97328/

Ferris wrote: »
    OT maybe but I remember looking this issue up when I was looking at a 335:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/all-e90-335i-turbo-wastegate-rattle-problem-fix-t97328/

Thanks for that Ferris but I have read it and many other threads like it since getting the car and it just seems like an incredibly expensive thing to fix due to labour. It's such a tiny little part and it's causing such problems because it affects power and turbo lag and it sounds HORRIBLE!

gibbon75 wrote: »
    But I know the Boards motto by heart:all of us main dealer employees are to be blamed for everything :p

There are every bit as many independents that get stereotyped too on here.

I think the reason that main dealers get the abuse they do is because there should never be any excuse for them not being able to efficiently and correctly diagnose faults as they are specifically trained to work on the car/brand in question.

There are every bit as many independents that get stereotyped too on here.

I think the reason that main dealers get the abuse they do is because there should never be any excuse for them not being able to efficiently and correctly diagnose faults as they are specifically trained to work on the car/brand in question.

And as a bonus, they charge more for the job. You would expect it to be top quality job...
    There are good and bad mechanics out there - but if you pay let's say 100 to some guy in the shed and things go wrong, you can blame yourself.
    If you pay 300 for the same job at main dealer network, you expect it to be done on time, and properly.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    And as a bonus, they charge more for the job. You would expect it to be top quality job...
    There are good and bad mechanics out there - but if you pay let's say 100 to some guy in the shed and things go wrong, you can blame yourself.
    If you pay 300 for the same job at main dealer network, you expect it to be done on time, and properly.

IMHO no matter how much you pay for a job,it has to be done properly. Working from a "shed" or from a fully fitted garage is just a circumstance and can't be an excuse.

Advertisement