Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Fred Perry be considered 'chavvy'?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

This may sound like a strange question, but would Fred Perry be considered a ‘chavvy’ brand? I want to pick up a vinyl messenger style bag for my husband and there’s a nice FP one on Debenhams online. I know he wouldn’t use a brand like Ben Sherman because he would consider it a bit chavvy, but I’m just wondering if FP would be considered in a similar vein? It’s €70 and can only be returned via post as they don’t stock FP in my nearest Debenhams, so I’d like it to be right. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Most 'Chavs' I've ever seen don't carry messenger bags to begin with, so I reckon you're fine there ;)

That said, 70E for shiny, plasticky vinyl stuff isn't great. If you considered spending a bit more, you could get some leather messenger bags/soft briefcases such asa few listed here http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Bags-Briefcases/53809031,en_IE,sc.html#http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Bags-Briefcases/53809031,en_IE,sc.html?format=ajax

Which may a look a bit more mature, particularly if he's going to use it for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

As mentioned in you post you really want to get this right so, with that in mind, I would say that yes, FP is a little bit on the 'chav' side and is also quite '90's!

I'd agree with the previous poster and go for something a bit more 'mature'... M&S is so great right now for the man in his early 30's upwards. (you didn't say how old your husband was though! If he's 20 then the FP bag would indeed be suitable!! haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thank you both for the replies, you’re right, €70 for plastic is way too much. I love the M&S ones, but they are a bit beyond my budget. He just wants something waterproof for taking in a change of clothes and his lunch to work. I think he would like the retro style of the vinyl ones. He is mid 30’s, but he’s young at heart! There are nice vinyl Dunlop ones in River Island, even with delivery and the exchange rate, they will be about half the price of the Fred Perry one. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

You could try the Outdoor Adventure Store in town (Dublin) or Bike Cycle - near Jervis St. With the amount of people cycling to work these days they're bound to stock them.

Advertisement