Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delving into faith. Part 1:'When I was saved'

Options
  • 03-12-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Its a phrase you hear a lot, I'm just wondering what it is. People often describe the moment they were 'saved'. I've a few questions for those who attest to such a thing. I'd also like to see if its the same for everyone etc. Be warned, I may play a bit of Devils Advocate :) Yes, I am looking to test you :) Basically, religion as I see it is full of nonsense, groupthink, brainwashyness and delusion. Christianity unfortunately doesn't escape that. So I'm being upfront with yee. Laying my motives on the ground.

1) Saved from what?

2) Was it a moment of power, like being baptised and talking in tongues or something? Or was it an event you look to in hindsight.

All in all, can you describe what you mean by the moment you were saved?

This is the start of a series of questions I'd love to ask, and love to be able to talk candidly and without fear of offending. My motive is pure. I want the truth, simple as that. For those who don't know me, know this: I believe in God, The Living God as described to us in The Bible. In Jesus Christ his Son who was put to death by impalement and rose again after 3 days. So I seek this dialogue as a brother, not as an aggressor.

Heres to hoping for some responses...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

for me there was never a moment when i realized that i had found god, infact it was quite the opposite, i guess through my wifes strong religious beliefs god found me.
    except communion, conformation, and the odd wedding i would never attend church. i suppose over the years i just picked it up from my wife, and found myself trying
    to live my life in a way that would be biblically pleasing to god.

"someone being saved" what dose this mean? do we not have to wait until the last day before we stand in front of god to see if we are to be saved.(judgement day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JimiTime wrote: »
    1) Saved from what?

If one looks to the start of Romans. One notices that all mankind is under God's wrath in so far as they have turned away from God and done what is clearly evil rather than what is good. Not a single person is righteous, no not one. Paul also goes on in the first few chapters (let's say from 1 to 5) about mankinds predicament. Namely, that they have all sinned and turned away from God and rightfully deserve God's wrath, and that there is nothing in our own strength that we can do to justify ourselves.

Coming to salvation as far as I can tell Scripturally is the point when one realises that there is absolutely nothing in their own power that they can do to be just with a holy and a righteous God, and realise that they need a Saviour to stand in their place and take God's wrath on their behalf, and indeed that person was Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:8-9).
    2) Was it a moment of power, like being baptised and talking in tongues or something? Or was it an event you look to in hindsight.

Essentially it was the moment when I realised that I had sinned before God, and that I needed a Saviour.

It was more like the scales coming off my eyes, seeing the world afresh, trusting in Jesus alone for my salvation, realising that I had become a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).
    This is the start of a series of questions I'd love to ask, and love to be able to talk candidly and without fear of offending. My motive is pure. I want the truth, simple as that. For those who don't know me, know this: I believe in God, The Living God as described to us in The Bible. In Jesus Christ his Son who was put to death by impalement and rose again after 3 days. So I seek this dialogue as a brother, not as an aggressor.

A pleasure Jimi, a pleasure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Its a phrase you hear a lot, I'm just wondering what it is. People often describe the moment they were 'saved'. I've a few questions for those who attest to such a thing. I'd also like to see if its the same for everyone etc. Be warned, I may play a bit of Devils Advocate :) Yes, I am looking to test you :) Basically, religion as I see it is full of nonsense, groupthink, brainwashyness and delusion. Christianity unfortunately doesn't escape that. So I'm being upfront with yee. Laying my motives on the ground.

1) Saved from what?

Heres to hoping for some responses...

I've posted this here before but it's applicable here too perhaps

It explains life events leading up to the moment of my salvation. I see here something which seems to be a common feature: whether amongst my saved peers or amongst those in the OT or those in the NT whose eyes were opened. Salvation seems to involve a desparate, driving need that only God can (or could, in the case you don't believe in his existence at the time of calling out to him) fulfill.

Our friends over in A&A are not all that wrong when they say we're folk who were in need of a crutch :)

Hi there...
    Was looking around for a toe into the site and tripped across here. Seems like as good a place to begin as any.

There's probably a label that can be attached to the views I held before conversion to Christianity... but I'm not sure what it would be. I didn't think about God, didn't think about where the world or all the things in it came from, didn't think about my nominal Roman Catholic 'faith'. Neither did I care. Iano was Iano and lived his life as he saw fit. The prime thing that concerned me, was me. And that was, by and large, the view that seemed to be shared by people I came in contact with - so there was no reason to think there was anything inappropriate/invalid about it.

A constant throughout my life had been a tendency to live it intensely. As a kid it was the string of hobbies; entered into with relish, then developed to deep levels. Not for me, the casual picking up and discarding of interests once the initial novelty had worn off. Additional to a strong drive to seek fulfillment and enjoyment however, was a parallel companion called boredom. Whatever it was that gave initial satisfaction would eventually (even if it took years) loose it's lustre and I'd start to see the activity as being...well, a bit pointless really. There was always a void behind the surface satisfaction and pleasure. Something that remained untouched - no matter what I tried to fill it with: childhood hobbies, juvenile delinquency, drugs, sex and then when I came to my senses a little, university, work, success-seeking, homebuilding.

Satisfaction-seeking had, for me, the characteristic that I needed more as I went along. Yet for all the new thrills I could access, they never even approached the peaks of childhood ones. The shiny new motorcycle I could now easily afford, not a patch on the beat up old Suzuki I scraped my pennies together for. Neither did anything ever seem to pan out as expected. The promise always had a downside. The bosses, to think of one example, I had so respected for their confidence/abilities/power, were the same folk who had non-marriages/70 hour weeks /no relationship with their kids - once I had climbed high enough to get a view of things myself.
    I couldn't have vocalised it so at the time but to me, life had to be about something and everything I looked at for meaning was transparent. They weren't substance - just beautifully packaged illusions.

Mild disillusionment with it all set in at 30. By the time I passed my 38th birthday that disillusionment had cranked up to despair. I was trapped. I had tried innumerable things to fill the void and although there were things as yet untried, logic told me that the results could only be the same. The itch was getting worse, the attempts to scratch it more desperate and damaging. I was an object moving in a straight line and no exterior force was having any effect. And the only direction I could go in was down.
    It was at that point I turned to an unseen, unbelieved and unknown God and cried for help.

He did...and I haven't looked back since.

What I knew of it at the time wasn't any gospel truth - that came later. Rather, it was a quiet, yet profound change as the Spirit move in. I knew (with an unshakeable confidence) that everything .. and I mean everything, my death included .. "was going to be alright". It's a certain promise I'm as confident of today as I was then - irrespective of the trouble and strife I experienced in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Thanks for the contributions. I'd hoped for a bigger turnout. Maybe my 'I'm gonna be a bit devils advocate and probe about the answers' scared a few off :)

AntiSkeptic, if I may probe further.

Rather, it was a quiet, yet profound change as the Spirit move in. I knew (with an unshakeable confidence) that everything .. and I mean everything, my death included .. "was going to be alright"

Firstly, was this realised in hindsight, or was the moment clear as it happened? Secondly, When you say you cried out for help, do you mind me asking the manner of this? Was it, 'If theres something out there.....' Or did you have anything, or anyone in mind? Thirdly, did this 'movement of the spirit' happen instantly on your crying out? Finally, do you mind me asking, what was your first step from there?

philologos wrote: »
    Coming to salvation as far as I can tell Scripturally is the point when one realises that there is absolutely nothing in their own power that they can do to be just with a holy and a righteous God, and realise that they need a Saviour to stand in their place and take God's wrath on their behalf, and indeed that person was Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:8-9).

Essentially it was the moment when I realised that I had sinned before God, and that I needed a Saviour.

Were you a believer before this moment of realisation? Did you think about your faith beforehand etc? Also, could you describe this moment of realisation, and what happened? and then what proceeded from it?
    It was more like the scales coming off my eyes, seeing the world afresh, trusting in Jesus alone for my salvation, realising that I had become a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

And did this happen out of the blue, like an epiphany, or was it after you started to inquire or crying out, or praying etc? Also, did you realise this at the time, or was it looking back in hindsight?
    A pleasure Jimi, a pleasure :)
    Aww shucks...:)

• Advertisement

dvae wrote: »
    for me there was never a moment when i realized that i had found god, infact it was quite the opposite, i guess through my wifes strong religious beliefs god found me.
    except communion, conformation, and the odd wedding i would never attend church. i suppose over the years i just picked it up from my wife, and found myself trying
    to live my life in a way that would be biblically pleasing to god.

"someone being saved" what dose this mean? do we not have to wait until the last day before we stand in front of god to see if we are to be saved.(judgement day)

So would you say that your religious experience is nothing to do with any feelings of being saved etc, or any movement of the spirit? It was more a conscious effort to be more dedicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

AntiSkeptic, if I may probe further.

By all means..

Rather, it was a quiet, yet profound change as the Spirit move in. I knew (with an unshakeable confidence) that everything .. and I mean everything, my death included .. "was going to be alright"

Firstly, was this realised in hindsight, or was the moment clear as it happened?

I knew everything was going to be all right - even things I didn't and couldn't yet know about. The everything incorporated everything that possibly could be, in other words

I didn't know then that it was a consequence of my being saved (I didn't know I was saved at that point) nor that it was the Spirit taking up residence (for I didn't know God existed at that point either)

Although I'd prayed a prayer asking forgiveness the night before, I didn't connect that fact with what was now happening. It was much later, when I was reading the Bible, etc. that lights started going on as to the source of this new sense.

Secondly, When you say you cried out for help, do you mind me asking the manner of this? Was it, 'If there's something out there.....' Or did you have anything, or anyone in mind?

My mother, a life long searcher, had been saved a number of years before. And she was always banging on about God and seemed to see everything through that lens. We (the family) did our best to humour her (for she'd arrived at the Truth a number of times before you see) and tried to avoid letting her ambush us with what could only be described and brainwashing lectures.

I was living abroad at the time and going through tough times. Mam was sending me books and phoning me and stuff and generally trying her best to support her son. One of the things she gave me was the pamphlet "Why Jesus" by Nicky Gumbel. If you don't know it, it's like a Ladybird book version of the gospel. Theological babyfood. I paid it no heed and stuck between two books on the bookcase

On the night in question, when the turmoil was again cranking up, I stood up from my bed, reached up and plucked out the slim red spined pamphlet as if on automatic pilot .. and read it. And prayed the prayer at the end. It was a prayer aimed not at a God I believed existed (for I had no reason to suppose he existed) but at the only person who could possibly extract me from the mess I was in. If he didn't exist or did but didn't respond then there was no place else to turn. For I'd tried lots of other things to halt the agony.

I don't suppose it was magic word in that pamphlet that resulted in God acting. Rather, there was a desperate heart who accepted it had run out of independent road and needed help.

Thirdly, did this 'movement of the spirit' happen instantly on your crying out? Finally, do you mind me asking, what was your first step from there?

Nothing happened when I prayed the prayer. I just got back into bed and went asleep. It was the next morning, putting on my bike gear at the bottom of the stairs, when the knowledge (and more importantly, the sense of peace which that knowledge brought with it) dawned on me. That particular sense of peace hasn't ever left me - although plenty of other aspects of my Christian walk have.

I don't recall exactly what happened after that. I think I might have tried to read the Bible (starting naturally from page 1) but found it as dull as ditchwater so gave up. Not too long after that - perhaps months, my mother told be about a course starting up - The Alpha Course.

I wasn't by any means open to God or the like - at least, I was still resistant to my mothers attempts to corner me and talk of God. But on the evening the course was starting, I was sitting at my desk getting set to work into the late evening as was my habit when it dawned on me that the course was starting that evening and there was no pressing reason to stay at work.

So I went. And was blown away by what I was hearing. It just all began to slot into place: what Nicky was saying, what the Bible was saying, how different these people were: where a builder and a housewife and a barrister and a businessman and a dole recipient treated each other with an equality I'd not seen in the world

Bit by bit it grew from there...

Were you a believer before this moment of realisation? Did you think about your faith beforehand etc? Also, could you describe this moment of realisation, and what happened? and then what proceeded from it?

No. I didn't have a clue to be honest. I read the Bible out of curiosity, and once I said a prayer that I'd probably call the agnostics prayer - "God if you are there, please show me who you are". Needless to say I was rather surprised as what God did show me as I read the Scriptures and thought about them.

What proceeded from it was hugely difficult. I had to start wrestling with the idea that I was indeed a sinner who had fallen from God's grace, and I had to think about issues in how I was living and put them through the lens of God's word and to ask for God's help in bringing me to repent of those sins and to live differently. To be honest, it's the same way I am living right now, we have a battle with sin until Christ's work in us is complete (Philippians 1:6)
    And did this happen out of the blue, like an epiphany, or was it after you started to inquire or crying out, or praying etc? Also, did you realise this at the time, or was it looking back in hindsight?

Part of this is answered above. Mostly it was out of genuine curiosity that I even gave the Bible a look in. I prayed to ask God to show me who He was, and as I began to understand more as to what Jesus did and who God was I began to pray or speak to Him more often. It's a battle to make time to spend praying, but it is hugely important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Seeing as we are currently still exposed to the attacks of the devil, as well to decay and the passions I think its wrong to say we are saved until after the General Resurrection. A lot of Christians these days seem to focus just on being saved from legal debts and ignore the other parts of Jesus's Work for us. We have lost the vision of Christ not only as a Saviour of men but of the whole cosmos from corruption and the demonic powers at work through it.

Seeing as we are currently still exposed to the attacks of the devil, as well to decay and the passions I think its wrong to say we are saved until after the General Resurrection. A lot of Christians these days seem to focus just on being saved from legal debts and ignore the other parts of Jesus's Work for us. We have lost the vision of Christ not only as a Saviour of men but of the whole cosmos from corruption and the demonic powers at work through it.

I think there's two senses of being saved:
    1) Everything required for our salvation is done as a result of Jesus
    2) The full work that God has yet to do in us to bring us to full salvation isn't complete

The example I once heard in a sermon was comparing it to being in shark-infested waters. A lifeguard might come to save us, put us on a raft - we're safe, but the work of bringing us to shore hasn't yet been completed.

I think you're correct to say that there isn't enough emphasis put on sanctification (being holy as God is holy - the whole 1 Peter reasoning) and too much on mere justification. It's what Bonhoeffer would call cheap grace, but grace isn't cheap, it was immensely costly Jesus was stricken and crucified for it, and we are to walk in a manner worthy of that grace.

I'd agree by the by, Jesus is working to redeem the whole Creation. It's a Biblical notion for sure.

• Advertisement

I think there's two senses of being saved:
    1) Everything required for our salvation is done as a result of Jesus
    2) The full work that God has yet to do in us to bring us to full salvation isn't complete

The example I once heard in a sermon was comparing it to being in shark-infested waters. A lifeguard might come to save us, put us on a raft - we're safe, but the work of bringing us to shore hasn't yet been completed.

Just so that I can get a grasp of where you are coming from are you a Calvinist?

St Paul has this to say in Romans; "And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." Romans 13:11.

He is speak to believers, and believers I would gather from the letter as being in a state of justification, of their salvation being in the future.

Would it not be better to say that we have been Redeemed by the Cross than saved now in the present by it therefore? (Though ultimately our Salvation will flow from the Cross).

After all we can fall away from God and be lost- as I believe the Bible makes clear in Galatians and the letters of St Peter.

Just so that I can get a grasp of where you are coming from are you a Calvinist?

St Paul has this to say in Romans; "And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." Romans 13:11.

He is speak to believers, and believers I would gather from the letter as being in a state of justification, of their salvation being in the future.

Would it not be better to say that we have been Redeemed by the Cross than saved now in the present by it therefore? (Though ultimately our Salvation will flow from the Cross).

After all we can fall away from God and be lost- as I believe the Bible makes clear in Galatians and the letters of St Peter.

I don't like using terms such as Calvinist to describe my view. I believe in the sovereignty of God and predestination as they are Biblical truths.

Paul also speaks in other letters of salvation as a past reality. For example Ephesians 2:8-10 - "By grace you have been saved".

This is why I think the Bible speaks of salvation in two ways - The sufficiency of Christ's work to save those who believe in Him (done), and the day when Christ will return to bring those who are waiting for Him to the new creation (yet to be done).

I don't like using terms such as Calvinist to describe my view. I believe in the sovereignty of God and predestination as they are Biblical truths.

Paul also speaks in other letters of salvation as a past reality. For example Ephesians 2:8-10 - "By grace you have been saved".

This is why I think the Bible speaks of salvation in two ways - The sufficiency of Christ's work to save those who believe in Him (done), and the day when Christ will return to bring those who are waiting for Him to the new creation (yet to be done).

Okay Calvinist is a label named after a mere man, but still sometimes labels can be helpful. I believe in Predestination, I think all Christians do- but they dont necessarily believe in it in the way Calvinists believe in it. I think its fair enough to ask if you agree with Calvin's view of the Gospel roughly or not?

Your Biblical quote is strongly in favour of what you are trying to say. Let me think and pray further before I reply.

Okay Calvinist is a label named after a mere man, but still sometimes labels can be helpful. I believe in Predestination, I think all Christians do- but they dont necessarily believe in it in the way Calvinists believe in it. I think its fair enough to ask if you agree with Calvin's view of the Gospel roughly or not?

Your Biblical quote is strongly in favour of what you are trying to say. Let me think and pray further before I reply.

I prefer to stick the discussion to what's Biblical without getting into the ins and outs of Calvin (or Augustine before him).

I prefer to stick the discussion to what's Biblical without getting into the ins and outs of Calvin (or Augustine before him).

I do too.

Yet you cant deny that everyone whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox reads the Bible through certain human lenses. None of us come to it naked so to speak. All I was asking was do you see the Bible through a certain human condition; because once saved always saved only which I thought you implied only makes sense though Calvinism.

I was raised Presbyterian; but Im not sure what I am now. I believe in the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation and the Atonement; but I see good and bad in all Christian traditions.

I do too.

Yet you cant deny that everyone whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox reads the Bible through certain human lenses. None of us come to it naked so to speak. All I was asking was do you see the Bible through a certain human condition; because once saved always saved only which I thought you implied only makes sense though Calvinism.

I was raised Presbyterian; but Im not sure what I am now. I believe in the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation and the Atonement; but I see good and bad in all Christian traditions.

I disagree, we should be trying to make sense of what we believe through Scripture. What I'm pointing out is that it is entirely justified to say that if one is in Christ, they are saved. The New Testament and Paul's letters make that rather clear that Jesus insofar as He has done all that is needed to secure salvation has saved us (past tense), moreover He will return to save us (future tense). Both are true.

I disagree, we should be trying to make sense of what we believe through Scripture

I believe that too.

However how we see Scripture is conditioned and all traditions seem to try and force Scripture into their own brackets.

Explain your objection to believing that we're saved insofar as Christ has done everything required to if we believe in Him in addition to believing that we won't be brought to the new creation until he returns.

You don't need to refer to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Philologos / HHobo: I've taken the liberty of moving your exchange over to the Atheism / Existence of God megathread. As interesting as it was, it seems more suited to that thread, rather than allowing this one to get bogged down in Christian / non-Christian debate.

Advertisement